Calling all barefooters.

The Society for Barefoot Living has a nice page:

http://www.barefooters.org
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-22-2007, 02:05 AM
Veggie Regular

Interesting.

Living barefoot in "civilization" is tough, but in the summertime when I go for walks I always go barefoot. Shoes are too restrictive.
#3 Old 03-22-2007, 03:02 AM
Veggie Regular

On the health benefits of going barefoot...or, more accurately, the harm caused by wearing shoes:

http://www.shoebusters.com/thesis.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 03-22-2007, 03:22 AM
Kiz
Veggie Regular

I am barefoot a whole lot of the time. If I have to go to Sydney, or any big city, I wear shoes, and at work I wear shoes, but apart from that bugger it! Barefoot is nice. I wish the gym at work would let you workout barefoot, it's so, so much nicer to exercise without shoes. Walking and running without shoes feels so much better than even the "best" runners.

Love the post? Why not buy the T-shirt!
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=categorie&cat=8
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=product&info=94
#5 Old 03-22-2007, 03:31 AM
Beginner

Used to do barefoot. Loved it but as the calases grew to protect my soft delicate skin I had a bad bout of excema and having calases split then peel off whole was not comfy. I think my excema has gone now (discovered my wheat alergy) I think I may give it a go again. Something quite entertaining about seeing the looks of shock as you do your weekly shopping.
#6 Old 03-22-2007, 04:48 AM

I like being barefoot at home and on the beach, but if its anywhere else Im not really comfortable with it. I quite often see people walking around my local supermarket with out shoes on and it seems a bit gross and dirty to me. It doesnt bother me that they're doing it but its just not something that Id like to do myself.
#7 Old 03-22-2007, 05:58 AM
Veggie Regular

LL
#8 Old 03-22-2007, 06:03 AM
Kiz
Veggie Regular

Heh heh. A Hello Kitty I actually like, well waddayaknow.

Love the post? Why not buy the T-shirt!
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=categorie&cat=8
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=product&info=94
#9 Old 03-22-2007, 06:07 AM
Veggie Regular

Shoes hurt my feet. Yes, all of them.

I love being barefooted.
#10 Old 03-22-2007, 06:53 AM
Veggie Regular

barefoot is my preference, but it's often too cold in winter, late fall, and early spring to manage it here. so, i get earth shoes. they're comfortable.

and i wear 'flip-flops' in the summer when i need to go places where shoes are required.
#11 Old 03-22-2007, 09:08 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Hillyer View Post

On the health benefits of going barefoot...or, more accurately, the harm caused by wearing shoes:

http://www.shoebusters.com/thesis.html

Shoes cause lung cancer and sudden-infant-death-syndrome? I like walking barefoot, but I have very little patience with statements like these...

With the dirt and sharp materials like glass and metal lying all over the street, I think it would be advisable to wear shoes.
#12 Old 03-22-2007, 09:30 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by inie View Post

Shoes cause lung cancer and sudden-infant-death-syndrome? I like walking barefoot, but I have very little patience with statements like these...

With the dirt and sharp materials like glass and metal lying all over the street, I think it would be advisable to wear shoes.

Yea, the article got pretty silly when the cancer discussion started. I think sticking with back issues or maybe arthritis makes more sense.
#13 Old 03-22-2007, 09:38 AM
Veggie Regular

I actually find it much more comfortable to wear shoes with supportive arches because my feet are almost flat. People with plantar fasciitis should definitely wear shoes with supportive arches.

Each to his or her own though...
#14 Old 03-22-2007, 09:39 AM
Veggie Regular

I used to be really into the barefooter movement, except I was too self-conscious to go against society and walk into public establishments barefoot, so I quit. I still prefer going barefoot whenever I can, and I wear flip-flops when I can't.

I get cold really easily, though, so in the winter I'm all about thick socks and sturdy shoes.
#15 Old 03-22-2007, 10:28 AM
Veggie Regular

Walking through snow barefoot would be a great way to lose all my toes, so I stick with shoes and socks in winter. But I do love flipflops in spring/summer/fall.

Don't you get hookworms from walking around barefoot? Or that just a scary tale they tell to children nowadays to make them put on their sandals?
#16 Old 03-22-2007, 11:17 AM
Veggie Regular

I wear (vegan) Birkinstocks and no socks. ALL the time unless barefooted. It's the closest I can come to being barefooted and still have something on my feet - since I hate flipflops.
#17 Old 03-22-2007, 11:50 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by kali View Post

I like being barefoot at home and on the beach, but if its anywhere else Im not really comfortable with it. I quite often see people walking around my local supermarket with out shoes on and it seems a bit gross and dirty to me. It doesnt bother me that they're doing it but its just not something that Id like to do myself.

There are people barefoot in the stores? That's not allowed here..you'd get kicked out. I'm glad...no, I don't want to see your nappy feet while I'm picking out my lemons, k thx.

I get pedicures regualarly...walking barefoot all the time would defeat the purpose. I prefer to not step on glass, spit and cigarette butts on the street. Heck I even wear birkenstocks at home!
#18 Old 03-22-2007, 11:51 AM
Veggie Regular

I'm barefoot right now and I'm at work
#19 Old 03-22-2007, 12:07 PM
Beginner

I find it highly entertaining that people get freaked out by seeing a part of the body that is usually covered. Personally I found my feet to be alot cleaner and less stinkier when I went barefoot than when they were trapped inside a stinky, sweaty shoe.

Loved the "it seems a bit gross and dirty to me" comment. I want to know where you buy your shoes from cause I can only assume that they have no gross and dirty things stuck to them. Or maybe you look where you step
#20 Old 03-22-2007, 12:07 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Brandon View Post

I'm barefoot right now and I'm at work

To be fair, my shoes are off too. But I'm wearing socks
#21 Old 03-22-2007, 12:12 PM
Veggie Regular

I love going barefoot, unless it's cold and then I'm a wuss. I wear crocs or flip flops when I can't go shoeless. I think bare feet are nicer looking than shoes.
#22 Old 03-22-2007, 12:36 PM
Veggie Regular

I have to agree with some here...feet are pretty icky imo and they just get grosser as we age lol. I wouldn't walk around barefoot near/in a city. I don't like the idea of feces getting on me. yuk. And traces of it can usually be found everywhere.
#23 Old 03-22-2007, 12:47 PM
Veggie Regular

Interesting link, LH, thanx.

I guess I'm a closet barefooter. I'm barefoot a lot, but I always bought into the whole no bare feet in public businesses thing. I live in a warm climate surrounded by lots of barefoot hippie types, and barefeet are frowned upon by the more conventional types. Because the people who often go barefoot everywhere are also the ones who rarely shower and tend to smell (I'm serious, not just stereotyping here) bare feet get a bad rap.

I'm gonna give this a bit more thought...

Nec Aspera Terrent
#24 Old 03-22-2007, 02:03 PM
Veggie Regular

I walk barefoot all the time, including winter. I still have one leg left, I'll amputate it soon. Not really, I'm barefoot only around indoors and when I'm in private.

"and I stand

upon a mountain

made of weak and useless men"

#25 Old 03-22-2007, 03:43 PM
Veggie Regular

Shoes are the first thing to come off me when I get home. I don't put them on again until I'm ready to go somewhere.

As soon as it's warm enough outside, I go barefoot in my leisure time. I don't generally go barefoot inside my home in the winter because paying less for heating is more important to me than not wearing socks and slippers.

I can't say I mind wearing shoes in professional and social settings, but I do like taking them off at friends' houses when we're settling in for an evening of games, food and movies or whatever.

My sister is way into barefooting, or at least she was growing up. I remember laughing while watching her leap over piles of snow on a scamper out to the mailbox on a cold winter day.

Here at work, a bunch of us will take off our shoes/sandals in the summer when we're going to be in the office for awhile and not expecting any visitors. If we get called up to the front desk, we put shoes on.

Q: How many poets does it take to change a light bulb? A: 1001...one to change the bulb, 1000 to say it's already been done.
#26 Old 03-22-2007, 04:15 PM
Banned

Wear sandles alot even in winter. At the beach and you see people going into the resrt room, without shoes or sandles. That's just plain gross. Plantar warts can be contracted through bear feet, along with other fungle junk.
#27 Old 03-22-2007, 05:29 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegan Joe View Post

[...]Plantar warts can be contracted through bear feet[...]

And if you eat the rest of the bear, you can get internal parasites.

Q: How many poets does it take to change a light bulb? A: 1001...one to change the bulb, 1000 to say it's already been done.
#28 Old 03-22-2007, 05:30 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by skylark View Post

And if you eat the rest of the bear, you can get internal parasites.

#29 Old 03-22-2007, 06:26 PM
Veggie Regular

#30 Old 03-22-2007, 06:28 PM
Veggie Regular

I can't find the link right now, but there is a fake pair of sandals one can buy so that when in stores, it looks like you're wearing sandals even though you're barefoot. It has a strap on top but nothing on the bottom.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page