What is a fruitarian? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 01-23-2007, 08:23 PM
Banned

I was invited to start this thread by froggy, don't move it.

Can a fruitarian eat cooked foods, roots, dairy?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-23-2007, 08:56 PM
Veggie Regular

I guess my question will never be answered.
#3 Old 01-23-2007, 08:58 PM
Banned

Lets say you are a fruitarian and you eat a bean burrito.

You aren't participating in a more strict version of raw foodism, because your food isn't raw.

You aren't praticing reference for life because in practice your ingredients were harvested by killing plants.

So what is the point in differentiation cooked fruitarianism from vegetarianism?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 01-23-2007, 08:58 PM
Veggie Regular

for the 3rd time.

from the "what do you think of meat eaters" thread:

===================================

\tQuote:

\t \t \t\t \t\t\t \t\t\t\tOriginally Posted by DeflatorMouse

\t\t\t\tThe best definition I've seen can be found at wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fruitarian

\t\t\t \t\t \t \t

ok

\tQuote:

\t \t \t\t \t\t\t \t\t\t\tOriginally Posted by wikipedia

\t\t\t\tSome fruitarians will eat only what falls (or would fall) naturally from a plant, that is: foods that can be harvested without killing the plant. These foods consist primarily of culinary fruits, nuts, and seeds[7]. Many do not eat grains, believing it is unnatural to do so[8], and some fruitarians feel that it is improper for humans to eat seeds[9]. Additionally, there are fruitarians who believe they should eat only plants that spread seeds when the plant is eaten.[10] Others eat seeds and some cooked foods.[11]

Many fruitarians use the botanical definitions of fruits and consume pulses,[12] while others include green leafy vegetables[13] and/or root vegetables[14] in their diet. Some occasionally consume some dairy products as well.[15]

\t\t\t \t\t \t \t

How is this different from being vegetarian or vegan, then?

You can eat fruit, pulses, greens, roots, seeds, dairy....

If I wrote an article about vegans but said some vegans eat fish & dairy, no one would consider me a credible source. Yet wikipedia...

===================================

I'm still waiting for an explanation for the difference between a vegetarian & a fruitarian who eats roots, pulses, and dairy.
#5 Old 01-23-2007, 09:00 PM
Banned

I'm not sure.

I always thought that fruitarians were raw.
#6 Old 01-23-2007, 09:02 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica Alana View Post

I'm not sure.

I always thought that fruitarians were raw.

So do most (n-1) of the fruitarians that have posted on VB.
#7 Old 01-23-2007, 09:04 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by remilard View Post

I don't think not killing things is the motivation, certainly del mar tortillas don't use wheat that was harvested saving the stalk

Maybe it has to do with the difference between annuals versus perennials. Most plants, if not all, that produce grains, beans, and legumes die at the end of the season anyways, right? So, maybe fruitarians who consume said seeds do so under the premise that they are not significantly reducing the life of the plant, while eating a perennial would. I don't know how they would justify eating roots and dairy. Cooked versus raw would depend on the fruitarian's reason for being a fruitarian.

~Wondre
#8 Old 01-23-2007, 09:09 PM
Veggie Regular

With apologies to troub, Jessica & Wonder (and those who have a genuine interest in the subject of fruitarianism), I can't respond to your thoughts & questions at this time, because I'm being stalked.
#9 Old 01-23-2007, 09:11 PM
Veggie Regular

Deflator, you are not being stalked. Calm down. Remilard is this way with everyone; you're not special.

Will you answer my question now?

ETA: I am asking out of interest because this topic has come & gone, and there has never really been good consensus on what fruitarian means, though I'm finally starting to understand raw. Fruitarian means you don't kill the plant, right? So how do roots fit into that?
#10 Old 01-23-2007, 09:14 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Wonder View Post

Maybe it has to do with the difference between annuals versus perennials. Most plants, if not all, that produce grains, beans, and legumes die at the end of the season anyways, right? So, maybe fruitarians who consume said seeds do so under the premise that they are not significantly reducing the life of the plant, while eating a perennial would. I don't know how they would justify eating roots and dairy. Cooked versus raw would depend on the fruitarian's reason for being a fruitarian.

~Wondre

I agree that it would depend on their reason, I think. The perennial/annual thing was something I hadn't thought about. Although in michigan, any garden you plant is going to die when the weather gets cold enough. So lettuce and all that would die, although I don't think it should be considered fruitarian-friendly.
#11 Old 01-23-2007, 09:15 PM
Veggie Regular

I guess my thread didn't cover it.

https://www.veggieboards.com/boards/s...ad.php?t=66450
#12 Old 01-23-2007, 09:16 PM
Veggie Regular

I guess you could justify dairy in that it doesn't kill the animal to get the milk.
#13 Old 01-23-2007, 09:17 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie View Post

I guess my thread didn't cover it.

https://www.veggieboards.com/boards/s...ad.php?t=66450

I didn't see that, marie. heh.
#14 Old 01-23-2007, 09:19 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Wonder View Post

~Wondre

legumes can be annual or perennial, there are many examples of both.
#15 Old 01-23-2007, 09:19 PM
Veggie Regular

It wasn't really clear. That stupid little rhyme popped into my head when I read froggy's request so I posted a thread about it.
#16 Old 01-23-2007, 09:22 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by OregonAmy View Post

I guess you could justify dairy in that it doesn't kill the animal to get the milk.

Mmmm the fruit of the cow.
#17 Old 01-23-2007, 09:26 PM
Veggie Regular

Or you could justify eating underwear..

Fruit of the Loom
#18 Old 01-23-2007, 09:29 PM
Banned

I guess what confuses me is,

what if I said I was going to be a redetarian and only eat red foods. I can do that, and I can explain to you what I mean, but isn't it a little silly if I don't have a reason for doing so?

Most subsets of fruitarianism seem to establish limits (raw, no death of the plant) that ascribe meaning to their diet. If you are going to be a fruitarian so inclusive that you include cooked foods and maybe even roots and milk, what is the underlying meaning?
#19 Old 01-23-2007, 09:33 PM
Banned

I agree you have to have some kind of reason. Even if you were a redetarian because you liked red. That's at least a reason. It's also consistent as long as you only ate red stuff.
#20 Old 01-23-2007, 09:46 PM
Veggie Regular

MOD NOTE:

We realize there are some interpersonal tensions which are feeding this discussion. However, we would really like the discussion to continue. Personally, I would like to explore the different Fruitarian modalities (cooked/raw/grains/whatever). But PLEASE... keep the personal issues out of it. That goes for all parties involved.

No one should feel like they have to defend their approach to their own PERSONAL diet. However, that doesn't mean they can't EXPLAIN the differences (as they understand them) between say, raw and cooked fruitarianism, or whatever...

This community exists to DISCUSS these issues. Not to belittle or demean fellow members because we disagree on their definitions/labels.

Thank you ALL for thinking before you post.

WonderRandy

VB Moderator

Nec Aspera Terrent
#21 Old 01-23-2007, 09:49 PM
Banned

Did I mention I'm a vegetarian who eats fish?

*wince*

(I'm kidding.)
#22 Old 01-23-2007, 10:01 PM
Banned

Quote:

Did I mention I'm a vegetarian who eats fish?

That is a similar issue. You can make a nomenclaturally sound argument for fish being included in a vegetarian diet (vegetarianism is a meat free diet, fish are not meat), and you can also argue that making vegetarianism more inclusive allows it to be more widely practiced.

The question is, how far to you push the envelope and should we consider the desire of the people who practice stricter forms of the diet to have a word that describes what they do?
#23 Old 01-23-2007, 10:31 PM
Banned

I'm not trying to blatantly argue with a mod post, but isn't that partially why we're here? To tell you that no you aren't a vegetarian if you eat fish. Why would that be any different than telling someone they aren't raw if they eat <insert cooked food here>, or not a fruitarian if they eat <insert nonfruitarian food here>?
#24 Old 01-23-2007, 10:34 PM
Veggie Regular

I had no idea this subject made anyone tense. Around here the term fruitarian is basically used as raw foodist.
#25 Old 01-23-2007, 11:24 PM
Banned

When I was raw, I was not a fruitarian.
#26 Old 01-24-2007, 01:02 AM
Red
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Even if you were a redetarian because you liked red.

And that's a hypothetical because...?

[redetarians unite!]
#27 Old 01-24-2007, 07:33 AM
Veggie Regular

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page