VeggieBoards

VeggieBoards (https://www.veggieboards.com/forum/)
-   The Compost Heap (https://www.veggieboards.com/forum/17-compost-heap/)
-   -   Use of drugs to help mental disorders (https://www.veggieboards.com/forum/17-compost-heap/6020-use-drugs-help-mental-disorders.html)

Faery Girl 08-11-2003 01:30 PM

sorry that this is sort of off topic....

punkrockrapunzl - your comments about anti depressants are really upsetting to me. I think it's a broad statement to make about people. I certainly don't take my A.D.'s to "escape". I've done everything possible to take care of myself naturally and it just doesn't work well enough. It's because of the social stigma, that I held off from taking A.D.'s...I realize now that I could have felt better a lot sooner had I just opened myself up to the idea earlier on. I know a lot of people including myself that would be dead without A.D.'s. you are entitled to your opinions, but I think your comment about A.D.'s being used as a form of escapism is an insult to a lot of people.

with that being said...

shethatisnau - you never know, anti depressants might help you...and/or therapy for that matter. talk to your parents and doc and see what he/she thinks. I agree with others, that some docs do over prescribe A.D.'s, but if your doc thinks that you can truly benefit from it don't throw that idea out the window completely. good luck to you.

PunkRockRapunzL 08-11-2003 01:37 PM

Some people might be dead w/o ADs? Then they werent strong enough to live. Sounds blunt, but points are sharp. Survival of the fittest and all that might be harsh..but thats how it is.

GhostUser 08-11-2003 01:44 PM

My grasshopper, you have much to learn.

Shamus 08-11-2003 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by PunkRockRapunzL

Some people might be dead w/o ADs? Then they werent strong enough to live. Sounds blunt, but points are sharp. Survival of the fittest and all that might be harsh..but thats how it is.

My brother would be dead right now if it wasnt for ADs. Quite frankly I dont appreciate that not strong enough to live comment. There is being blunt, and then there is being downright belligerent. Especially right after someone who posted that ADs kept them alive. Take it elsewhere.

rainbowmoon 08-11-2003 02:53 PM

Folks- I just wanted to say I am NOT trying to look down on people who take anti depressants. All I meant to say was that they are NOT for everyone, and in my opinion, they are a last resort. I just wanted to clarify that on my own behalf.

lovenlight,

linz

PunkRockRapunzL 08-11-2003 02:59 PM

Shamus- What do you mean by ADs keeping yer brother alive..? How do you know he would not have struggled through it on his own and survived? ADs keep you alive..yet what kind of life is that? It is not one that you truly fought for. Take it elsewhere? My thoughts are here, I'm not going to lock them in the closet as though I were ashamed of what I think.

PunkRockRapunzL 08-11-2003 03:03 PM

Exactly, Linz..I just want people to give themselves a fighting chance before they give in to the false calming effects of drugs.

Shamus 08-11-2003 03:15 PM

Quote:

Shamus- What do you mean by ADs keeping yer brother alive..? How do you know he would not have struggled through it on his own and survived? ADs keep you alive..yet what kind of life is that? It is not one that you truly fought for. Take it elsewhere? My thoughts are here, I'm not going to lock them in the closet as though I were ashamed of what I think.

I know he wouldnt have made it because he kept trying to take his own life, even after my parents found out and talked to him about it, and after talking to a psychologist. He heard voices in his head telling him to kill himself, telling him that we (his family) thought he was a looser and a failure. Once they got him on the right drugs, he stopped trying to kill himself. He is actually happy now. He is not weak, as you seem to think people like him are, he was suffering from something beyond his control, and he got something to get it in his control.

Based on your notions, perhaps we should let women who are beaten fend for themselves. Survival of the fittest, right? Or maybe we should deny cancer patients chemotherapy. Or deny people with schizophrenia their treatment. Survival of the fittest, isnt that what you want? Damn someone for having an ailment. If they cant handle it themselves, let them die.

PunkRockRapunzL 08-11-2003 03:26 PM

Even if you love someone, it wont be enough to save them unless they want to save themselves. Its kind of selfish to try to make them live if that isnt what they want. But I do understand it, b/c I've watched a woman that I love die from cancer despite chemo. It weakened her in the end..and if she had died without it, she would have lived longer and died the way she was supposed to.

I'm a martyr and a cynic and sort of a hippie..so basically, if someone is meant to die, we should not interfere with nature. That is the way, and technology should not stick its nose in.

Yes, I seem like a heartless *******. But I'd rather be the way I am than safe in a cocoon of manufactured bliss.

EquiPro 08-11-2003 04:44 PM

It's OK, PRP - I've been there. You look pretty young in your pic, and if you are (in your 20's lets say) you may change your mind in the next 10 or 20 years.

I would have never done myself in. I have a great education. I have been a success in many, many ways. However, I feel the best that I have ever felt in my life, and much of it is due to my Celexa/ Welbutrin. What you aren't understanding is that most depression and anxiety is caused by a chemical inbalance in the brain. With use of the meds, my chemicals are balanced and I feel so much better. I don't lose my mind over crazy things, I don't obsess about things that I can not change. I am a better wife to my husband, friend to my friends, and mother to my daughter. It's not just about me, it's about my life and those around me.

My Dad is a diabetic. Would you say that he should not take his insulin? He would have died 20 years ago without it. Would you say that an asthmatic should not take medication so that they can breath?

Depression is similar to this. There is nothing about it which is shaming, and, it doesn't make you a different person. It makes you a functional YOU.

I hardly live a life of bliss. I have a 5 year old. I am an entreprenuer in a business with which I have struggled for 10 years. I have been married for 15 years, and, trust me, that is stress enough.

My meds make my life calm, and keep me on an even keel. They make my life wonderful. It's not manufactered. It's ME and my body functioning on a good level.

Shamus 08-11-2003 04:55 PM

It is one thing to say that you feel we as a species shouldnt use drugs or similar technologies to aid our lives. You could easily take that point to the compost heap and have a strong debate. However, saying that people who need drugs to survive are weak, is something else indeed. Especially in this last case where your post labelled the person who posted before you, as being weak. It isnt constructive.

Stating your opinion is perfectly fine, and you are certainly entitled to it. However instead of doing this you made a broad-sweeping comment about a certain group of people, followed by an insulting commentary in their regards.

I know you are new here. Im not trying to be insulting, but please consider the following. When posting an opinionated comment, try to include an explanation of your stance. Certainly avoid making insulting comments about the people to which you are directing your thought. For instance, it is one thing to say you think something is wrong, but it is another thing to take shots at people because they do what you think is wrong (though I will note that other people do that at this forum).

I guess the thing that struck me, was that after months of lively debate with other VERY opinionated people, I had not become upset by what they said. Then within one week, two of your comments sent me reeling.

Im not suggesting you hide your opinions, but try to exercise a bit more tact in the way you express them.

Shamus 08-11-2003 04:58 PM

Quote:
It's not just about me, it's about my life and those around me.

I think that sentence said it all.

PunkRockRapunzL 08-11-2003 04:59 PM

I'm seeing what you mean, Equipro, but what if you couldnt have yer drugs? You'd be yourself. Even if it means being unhappy, I think we need to function independantly. Be a better wife, friend, and mother without the aid of a pill.

Diabetes is one of those circumstances where meds are necessary. I said this in an earlier post. But personally, I dont know how I'd feel if that was my situation..I would not want to depend on insulin for my survival...so you know what that means.

They make yer life wonderful. Why cant you make yer life wonderful?

sandiemac 08-11-2003 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by EquiPro

I would have never done myself in. However, I feel the best that I have ever felt in my life, and much of it is due to my Celexa/ Welbutrin. What you aren't understanding is that most depression and anxiety is caused by a chemical inbalance in the brain. With use of the meds, my chemicals are balanced and I feel so much better. I don't lose my mind over crazy things, I don't obsess about things that I can not change. I am a better wife to my husband, friend to my friends, and mother to my daughter. It's not just about me, it's about my life and those around me.

My Dad is a diabetic. Would you say that he should not take his insulin? He would have died 20 years ago without it. Would you say that an asthmatic should not take medication so that they can breath?

Depression is similar to this. There is nothing about it which is shaming, and, it doesn't make you a different person. It makes you a functional YOU.

I hardly live a life of bliss. I

My meds make my life calm, and keep me on an even keel. They make my life wonderful. It's not manufactered. It's ME and my body functioning on a good level.

sorry equipro....i edited your post to fit but...yeah! what you said! without my lexapro/xanax (for the REALLY tough days ) i am not a functioning person. i am irritable, hard to please, hypercritical, obsessive, compulsive, and a drain on my family and friends

Faery Girl 08-11-2003 05:02 PM

PunkRockRapunzl - are you trying to say that someone who has been viciously attacked, with post traumatic stress disorder, anxiety and depression should be forced to suffer with the pain even if they WANT to live? You never know in this world - you could walk out your door, get gang raped, and have no control over it.

It must make you feel good to talk crap about other people.

You're so much better than me. I'm just "weak" and unworthy of obtaining help.

I'm not going to get into a conversation about brain chemistry. Perhaps you should educate yourself...and stop with the rude comments. You're quite offensive.

PunkRockRapunzL 08-11-2003 05:09 PM

Dont speak for me, Shamus. I never called anyone weak, b/c I shouldnt have to. I think we all know what we are, so anyone who took offense to that must find themselves to be lacking in the strength department.

I have no tact. I dont put makeup on my words to make them look pretty. I'm not targeting anyone in particular, I'm just throwing ideas around here...Why would you feel as though I'm attacking people? I have not directed insults at anyone. I'm simply offering my honesty..which is clearly not welcomed? But since when do I need an invitation to be straightforward?

For you being upset, that is your decision. If you choose to let my comments unnerve you, that is your doing. Claim some responsibility here. Is it so wrong to be upset? Emotion is not criminal. But it seems that I am :P

PunkRockRapunzL 08-11-2003 05:11 PM

sandiemac- What if I like people who are irritable, hard to please, hypercritical, obsessive, compulsive, and a drain on their family and friends? What if I thought that made you beautiful?

PunkRockRapunzL 08-11-2003 05:16 PM

Faery Girl- We need to deal with things instead of hiding behind a prescription. If I feel good, at least I've obtained the positive feeling without the aid of medication. If I'm making you feel inferior, that is yer own complex, darling. Education is not a factor here, lack of manners is. I'm not polite, but I wasnt outright trying to hurt anyone. This is just proves that some people cant handle what I perceive as "truth". I'm not claiming to be right, but I'm saying what I mean.

Faery Girl 08-11-2003 05:23 PM

isn't this supposed to be a POSITIVE resource for people?

PRP - you are insulting and rude.

There is a time and a place to debate. I don't think this is the right place.

Shamus 08-11-2003 05:24 PM

Quote:

Dont speak for me, Shamus. I never called anyone weak, b/c I shouldnt have to. I think we all know what we are, so anyone who took offense to that must find themselves to be lacking in the strength department.

I have no tact. I dont put makeup on my words to make them look pretty. I'm not targeting anyone in particular, I'm just throwing ideas around here...Why would you feel as though I'm attacking people? I have not directed insults at anyone. I'm simply offering my honesty..which is clearly not welcomed? But since when do I need an invitation to be straightforward?

For you being upset, that is your decision. If you choose to let my comments unnerve you, that is your doing. Claim some responsibility here. Is it so wrong to be upset? Emotion is not criminal. But it seems that I am :P

Quote:
Then they werent strong enough to live.

Last time I checked, the opposite of strong was weak. But of course, youre never wrong. My mistake.

Faery Girl 08-11-2003 05:27 PM

my own complex "darling". Get off it, little girl. I'm reporting you. I can't handle this.

PunkRockRapunzL 08-11-2003 05:27 PM

If someone cant survive a little bit of drama/controversy..maybe the offended should hit the happy pills?

I like to experience life in the raw. But obviously this is not for everyone.

PunkRockRapunzL 08-11-2003 05:30 PM

You cant handle this? I'm innocent, I tell you...it is yer lack of being able to handle whatever it is that I am doing other than being honest that is the problem. Are you afraid of an opinion?

PunkRockRapunzL 08-11-2003 05:32 PM

Somehow I dont think any of this is helping the original poster. I'd like to point that out.

I'm thinking, apology, to her. But other than that, I dont find myself wrong b/c I wasnt implying that I was right.

Shamus 08-11-2003 05:35 PM

PRP, you dont seem to get it. You have insulted people. You tell me I should claim responsibility, yet you dont feel the need to do the same. If you want to debate so fiercely, why not do so in the compost heap? However, you cant come to a non-debate part of the forum, and then be surprised when people dont want to debate you insulting them.

PunkRockRapunzL 08-11-2003 05:38 PM

I insulted someone? Define my insult.

Faery Girl 08-11-2003 05:40 PM

oh yeah - I'm so afraid of you and your opinions. I'm shuddering with fear.

An opinion is one thing. To be rude and insulting to others that don't share your opinion is what is wrong here. I'm not concerned with you at all. I could care less about you. I had just attempted to EDUCATE you by telling you that this is not the place to be rude and insulting to people that are "beneath" you.

This is supposed to be a positive resource for people, right? Someone tell me I'm wrong, if I am.

PunkRockRapunzL 08-11-2003 05:41 PM

I was defending the human right to be insane...is that so wrong?

Faery Girl 08-11-2003 05:43 PM

take it to a debate forum. It's unwanted here.

Tame 08-11-2003 05:58 PM

Quote:

Wow. I have to say, that may have to be put on my list of "the 3 Dumbest Comments Ever Made on VB". Congratulations!