Use of drugs to help mental disorders - Page 7 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#181 Old 08-14-2003, 06:28 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by MsRuthieB

Cissy-You are so well spoken for such a young person. Smart to boot! I see another strong woman joining our ranks in the next couple of years!

Women Rock!

ETA : opppss..sorry to get off topic. But sometimes a younger person comes along that just outright impresses me!

Hehe...thanks! My parents have always taught my brother and I the importance of learning and speaking up.

Okay, back on topic. I heard about a study on Discovery channel...the study said that monkeys who weren't touched at all as babies or given love/care became violent as they were older. I've seen from personal experience people who don't come from loving families - most of them tend to be unloving themselves.

And about bullying - I know I never stood up for myself when I was little and people made fun of me.

Java - There is a major stigma with therapy - until my brother went into therapy, I thought it was for "weird" people. And I certainly never thought that I'd end up in the psychiatric hospital! It now has a tendency to bug me when people say to people who are hyper at school that "Do we need to call the guys in the white trucks to come get you?" or something to that effect.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#182 Old 08-15-2003, 08:42 AM
Veggie Regular

Cause bladder infections and worms. Describe.
#183 Old 08-15-2003, 09:37 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
There is a major stigma with therapy - until my brother went into therapy, I thought it was for "weird" people.

I know I try to destigmatize therapy as much as I can. a lot of people reffer to there therapists there counsellor or there friend even when they talk about them. I try as much as I can to tell people ( when i get to know them) that yes I am in therapy, yes it is a normal thing that Im not crazy and that it has been and is very helpful for me. I have been known to even get people to go see our school counsellor and the like although peoples reactions are usually like "therapy eww i hate psychologists" I laugh cause sometimes they even know im studying to be one.

Actually there is a great organization called the National Alliance for The Mentally Ill www.nami.org that does alot of destigmatization stuff. they have affiliates all accross the country and one www.amiquebec.org in canada I only know in detail what the one here does cause i interned with them and volounteer with them talking in high schools when i have time but the HS program is great we go and do an education talk on mental illness then a testimonial (my part) and we talk about medication use and therapy and how it helped us and how we are better and what we experienced and what didnt work and what HS was for us with MI and stuff. It really helps the Kids understand MI and get help for themselves if they need it.

I had this talk when i was in grade 11 i was one of the first grades to hear it, but i was already in hospital with my AN I could have used this 3yrs before thats why im so happy to be doing it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#184 Old 08-15-2003, 02:32 PM
Veggie Regular

Java - Yeah, therapy's a lot more normal than I thought it was. Once when I was waiting for my brother's appointment to end, I saw another guy from school (a REALLY hot one) waiting to go in. And going to therapy doesn't mean you're crazy - hell, I was crazy before I went to therapy. All jokes aside, I think it's great that you volunteer like that - that's something I would consider doing when I'm older.
#185 Old 08-17-2003, 09:51 PM
Beginner

java princess - I believe we have similar educational goals

I love the fact that you are focusing on destigmatizing mental illness, therapy etc. It's awesome.

a little off topic - May I ask what aspect of psychology you plan to pursue?

I'll have to check out nami.org!!!
#186 Old 08-18-2003, 10:56 AM
Veggie Regular

I would like to do counselling psychology, im looking into doing a PsyD at the moment which is equivalent to a PHD but no research.

Id like to work with kids/adults aged 16-25 (the forgotten age group) in abnormal psychology but abnormall on all aspects of the continuum not necessarily hospitalization abnormal.

The services for this age group are severely lacking, at 17 one does not have the same needs as a 13 or 14 yr olds yet the services offered are the same. the same goes for a 25 yrs old or a 20 yr old they do not have the same needs as a 40 yr old yet a depressed 20yr old and 40yr old will be put together in the same day program. I believe this can be remedied. and that is my goal and these are this is my target age group although i would work with any age. otherwise i would workin a High school

Say
#187 Old 08-18-2003, 12:23 PM
Beginner

say - that's awesome.

I have a few different interests...forensic psychology, child psychology and behavioral psych... I think I'd really enjoy working with children with behavioral disorders. we'll see...I've been on the slow boat, educationally....it's the only way I can do it and work full time...but it's given me a chance to figure out what I want to do!

good luck to you!
#188 Old 08-18-2003, 01:17 PM
Veggie Regular

i find forensic psych fascinating, my school just isnt the place to pursue it at all, we have one full time researcher in the field and that is it, no real clinicians. i see no problem with taking it slow, i have for my own reasons more for health then work, butfrom what i have seen in my studies some of the brihtest students are those doin it part time. they are the mostdedicated to their studies because of all the sacrifices they have had to make tin order to indulge in their passion

best of luck to you in your studies!!!

Say
#189 Old 08-21-2003, 01:46 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by JavaPrincess View Post

i find forensic psych fascinating, my school just isnt the place to pursue it at all, we have one full time researcher in the field and that is it, no real clinicians. i see no problem with taking it slow, i have for my own reasons more for health then work, butfrom what i have seen in my studies some of the brihtest students are those doin it part time. they are the mostdedicated to their studies because of all the sacrifices they have had to make tin order to indulge in their passion

best of luck to you in your studies!!!

Say

Thank you! best of luck to you as well!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page