Veggie Regular

I believe it was 4 comments.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 Old 08-11-2003, 06:03 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by PunkRockRapunzL

I like to experience life in the raw. But obviously this is not for everyone.

No you don't. You act all tough ass on a message board, spouting about the "weakness" in others and how we should die of cancer or whatever and be "ourselves", but in reality, all of us know you would be running to the doctor if you were suffering.

Tell yourself you are "punk". Tell yourself you live life "natural". That you are "raw". Just be glad your little ivory tower has survived thus far.

Yeah, whatever.

Remember, reality is a cruel, harsh mistress.
#33 Old 08-11-2003, 06:04 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by spa_girl

I really thought my post above was on topic to the orignal one about Nau's food issues and getting over an ED. ?

Moved by accident most likely. I will try to restore it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#34 Old 08-11-2003, 06:04 PM
Banned

Quote:

I believe it was 4 comments.

No, it's all one muddled thought.

I keep the list, I make the rules.
#35 Old 08-11-2003, 06:05 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm not suffering? Why would I be here?

I am in pain. A doctor's office cant fix that.
#36 Old 08-11-2003, 06:32 PM
Veggie Regular

I am adding this because it was mistakenly left on the orginal thread and has since been deleted..

This was Shamus's post.

Quote:

I insulted someone? Define my insult.

Quote:
Some people might be dead w/o ADs? Then they werent strong enough to live.

Quote:
But I'd rather be the way I am than safe in a cocoon of manufactured bliss.

Quote:
We need to deal with things instead of hiding behind a prescription.

Quote:
maybe the offended should hit the happy pills

The above was posted by PunkRockRupaunzl and Quoted by Shamus.

Quote:
Shamus's response..

In every one of these quotes you have taken shots at people who require drugs to stay healthy. You have insinuated that you are somehow better than them because of it. However, based on your previous posts, I doubt very much that you will understand what I mean.

#37 Old 08-11-2003, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Tame

Wow. I have to say, that may have to be put on my list of "the 3 Dumbest Comments Ever Made on VB". Congratulations!

Tame, this is why we love you.

Rapunzl's comment definitely makes my list of three dumbest comments I've heard this year, and some of the other ones I've heard from her are definitely runners-up. (Sorry, Rapunzl; I'm just being honest.)
#38 Old 08-11-2003, 06:55 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by mouse

Tame, this is why we love you.

Rapunzl's comment definitely makes my list of three dumbest comments I've heard this year, and some of the other ones I've heard from her are definitely runners-up. (Sorry, Rapunzl; I'm just being honest.)

*wonders if i made those lists* (hehe )
#39 Old 08-11-2003, 07:09 PM
Veggie Regular

:: also wonders if she made the list ::

I'm on zoloft, and have been since October for anxiety and a bit of depression. But the meds didn't do everything - counseling and soul searching were a big part too.
#40 Old 08-11-2003, 07:27 PM

I can't speak for Tame, but neither of you made MY list.

Seriously, I doubt that I would be alive today without the medicine. I've been on and off it for 18 years; before that, I went through several pretty severe depressions over the course of 10 years. The last 8 or so years I've been on an AD consistently, and I'll probably be on an AD for the rest of my life. Basically, pain of any type eventually takes its toll; without the medicine, I probably would have put myself out of my misery some years ago.

Does surviving because of the use of an AD make me "not strong", in Rapunzl's words? I don't think it makes me either weak or strong. It means I am just doing what is necessary for me to survive. The AD doesn't make my life "wonderful"; it just makes it possible. I still struggle with depression, and use many methods to deal with it. The AD just makes it possible for me to manage the depression. I am a different person than I would have been without the depression; the AD brings me back a little closer to the person I was before the depression.
#41 Old 08-11-2003, 07:33 PM

I'm on zoloft too - and i agree with Cissy - zoloft did not cure me (at all), but it did end most of my suicidal ideation and make it possible for me to really get help in psychotherapy. wow, my feelings are really hurt too.

i always felt (before i got help for my problems) that i would be narcissistic and pathetic if i went into therapy - that it was only for the weaklings, and that none of it was real -

i know differently now.

what was self-indulgent was for me to not care about myself or the way i interact with people around me.

why would anyone care what kind of medication someone else was on?
#42 Old 08-11-2003, 07:35 PM
Veggie Regular

Yikes, I hardly know what to add here. It sounds as if Rapunzls been ODing on Ayn Rand if you ask me. I think young people should not be allowed to read Ayn Rand....angst hormones and rand just don't go well together.

Ah well.

B
#43 Old 08-11-2003, 07:59 PM
Veggie Regular

I just found this little debate and i absolutely have to post and im going to be a big pain and ignore everything that has been posted because this is an issue that means the world to me. its my "cause celebre" so to speak.

First off since i can in no way say everything there is to say about the issue in a post i will for the first time since joining VB offer a link to my website (yes im comming out lol) www.anorexicsanonymous.com visit the depression section by scrolling down the content frame on the left hand side and following the links ( the treatment link contains information on medication as does understanding depression)

For me Medication, Psychotherapy and a third controvertial but wonderfully effective treatment (ECT) was the right path.

i take my medication as religiously as a diabetic takes there insulin. Every night i count out my meds for the next day and place them in a dossette ( i take quite a bit at varried times) this is my way of maintaining control and order.

mental disorders are disorders of chemical imbalances they require readjusting of those chemicals. therapy can help you learn to deal with poor levels but it will not change your chemical levels in noticible amounts. the reason that diabeties is used often as an analogy(seen it here ) is that it too is a chemical imbalance just not in the brain.

so why is there such a stigma.

There that is it . Stigma. we need to get past the stigma that taking pills to fix our brains is a bad thing.

If it prolongs ones life or improves the quality of ones life it is in no way a bad thing. most people can take an ad for 6 months and then slowly be weened of of it. others like myself may be on them for life.

I now lead a full and productive life, free of side effects, free of depression, and full of enjoyment.

now if only there was a drug to combat low self esteem and eating disorders id be all set.

the thing i find most interesting is that most people dont question the need for drugs in schizophrenia, but in fact is is rather difficult to get schizophrenics to take there medication as they feel it is harmful, unnecessary, too many side effects, that they are more creative without it.

all the same things that those with depression often site. perhaps we should take our own views on the usefullness of antipsychotics and apply them to ADS???

say
#44 Old 08-11-2003, 07:59 PM

Quote:

I am in pain. A doctor's office cant fix that.

Actually, the right doctor and the right medicines could give you a great big boost towards fixing that, if your pain stems from a mental disorder, and not adolescent sturm und drang.
#45 Old 08-11-2003, 08:05 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by Tame

Wow. I have to say, that may have to be put on my list of "the 3 Dumbest Comments Ever Made on VB". Congratulations!

Thanks, Tame. I second that.

I'll be offended by PRR once I get over my disbelief.
#46 Old 08-11-2003, 08:06 PM

Say, you are SO GORGEOUS! And you're intelligent and compassionate, as I've seen from your posts! How can you have low self esteem?! If you have low self esteem, what hope do the rest of us have?
#47 Old 08-11-2003, 08:14 PM
Veggie Regular

thanks mouse!!!

i dont think self esteem really has anything to do with outwasrd appearance though ( which i dont see i know intellectually but dont see) it has more to do with what went on in the developmental years and i think THAT is something therapy can fix. to be honest mine is way better than it used to be i can now take a compliment and I have a lot that i am proud of i just also have a lot to work on particularly in the body image, self love department.

But i do think there is hope and lots of it and self esteem does improve with mood. so in a way there is a pill for it. it just isnt a magical one.

sending esteem waves>>>>>>*>>>~*~~~~~~*~>>>>>*>

Say
#48 Old 08-11-2003, 08:35 PM
Veggie Regular

For PRR. Your comments don't bother me at all. I know that my path is my path, and yours is yours. I'm not at all offended. As I said, check back with me in 20 years. Time tends to change one's opinions.

At about 33, I started to realize that my mother was right about everything all along. Before that, she didn't know what she was talking about.

Keep up that youthfull outlook. Experience what you need to experience. For me, I just have chosen to experience something different from you. Both experiences are valid and wonderful. I'm doing things a different way from you. Not a better way, just a different way.

And, hey, why should YOU care about what I choose to do? Keep on your path and enjoy!
#49 Old 08-11-2003, 09:02 PM
Veggie Regular

JavaPrincess - Your website is awesome...and all of what you said is so true.

Equipro - I would have to agree - to each their own.
#50 Old 08-11-2003, 09:37 PM
Veggie Regular

thank you Cissy,

Despite my current lack of progress Mental Health, eating disorders and depression in particular are a particular passion of mine i really want the information to get out there and the right information. i happen to have the advatage of access to a variety of journals and texts on the subjects as a psychology undergrad student and although i dont use them a lot directly to build the site it is the source of a lot of my background knowledge ( not to mention years of personal experience (bleh -)and an internship at an Alliance for the Mentally Ill affiliate. )

I try no to be jdgemental in conveying what i have to say because i do agree with equipro. although im not sure that we eventually all come around i think many do but other just will always hold those same beliefs. but i do believe in providing information about the alternative options in a non threatening but informative way. like this can make your life a hundred times better but its not necessary there are other options but this is what the statistics say work. its up to you to weight the pros and cons and choose what you think is best.

well i will get down off my soap box now and let someone else have a turn

Say
#51 Old 08-11-2003, 10:29 PM
Veggie Regular

JavaPrincess: I think you have expressed things very well. Your'e right, let's get rid of the stigma.
#52 Old 08-12-2003, 05:57 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

sandiemac- What if I like people who are irritable, hard to please, hypercritical, obsessive, compulsive, and a drain on their family and friends? What if I thought that made you beautiful?

I don't see exactly why PunkRockRapunzl is getting jumped all over. I decided to take the time to read a substantial amount of her posts, and I don't see a jerk, I don't see someone who is here just to get on peoples nerves or offend. I see someone who is being honest about her feelings, telling it as SHE sees it. Some of the things she said bordered offensive, and she ADMITS that. She said she was blunt, a cynic & didn't "put make-up on her words to make them pretty" . She has said she feels depressed & has battled with suicide. For HER, she feels that is the person she was meant to be, and that she takes herself for what she is. Her opinion then, is to say "so should you". But because some of you are on anti-depressants, you find offense in this statement. Could she have worded her stance in a kinder gentler way? sure, but should she have to? no. She didn't cus anyone out or tell anyone they were worthless. I see her as saying there is beauty in our differences, in our quirks. I think that's a powerful statement. Perhaps the only thing she is guilty of is generalizing. Instead of holding onto the "ME" in her statements. For example, "For me, anti depressants aren't the answer. I feel that I'm an OK person, even if I'm a bit crazy sometimes. I don't want the real me masked by drugs. In general I'm against taking drugs unless it's absolutely necessary". However, I have gone out of my way in some cases (on here) to include key words such as "I think" and "in my opinion", and I still find that people jump all over me. Just as it is in anything, the majority rules and they tend to gang up on people with a unique perspective. But, I love to stand up for the underdog. As a queer veg*n, I understand being in that position! So, Punk rock Rapunzel.. I hear you, I don't assume that you're a teenager, but if you are - I still respect your opinion, and see exactly where you're coming from. You have complimented people more than you've intended to insult them. Kudos on having the nerve to speak your mind.
#53 Old 08-12-2003, 08:59 AM
Veggie Regular

Apparently its okay to insinuate that people are stupid, this being the claim of Tame, mouse, and Thalia, as long as you dont tell them its okay to be who they are without anti-depressants (my intentions).

EquiPro, JavaPrincess, Cissy- Thanks for being self-secure enough to allow me my freedom of opinion without getting all defensive and acting in a nonjudgemental manner. The three of you manage to make valid points without indulging the tendencies of the ignorant and have earned my respect as people, ADs or not.

Feliner- I want to thank you for having an open mind...do promise you wont be offended? ;P You are the first person to recognize my true objective, so borrow my Kudos for a second.
#54 Old 08-12-2003, 10:41 AM

Rapunzl, I said that some of your comments were stupid, not that you're stupid. There is a difference, whether or not you recognize it. And I made the statement for a very specific reason; you had indicated that there was no reason for anyone to be offended by "honesty". I wondered whether the same rules applied when the "honesty" was directed at YOU.

I have seen too many lives ruined by the stigma associated with the use of ADs, and the corresponding reluctance to use them, to treat this matter lightly.
#55 Old 08-12-2003, 11:02 AM
Veggie Regular

Your determination of my comments as stupid is a matter of opinion, not of truth.

Lives are ruined b/c people have bad days? Bad days make good ones.
#56 Old 08-12-2003, 11:21 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Your determination of my comments as stupid is a matter of opinion, not of truth.

SO? I seem to remember you saying,

Quote:

If someone cant survive a little bit of drama/controversy..maybe the offended should hit the happy pills?

I like to experience life in the raw. But obviously this is not for everyone.

...You cant handle this? I'm innocent, I tell you...it is yer lack of being able to handle whatever it is that I am doing other than being honest that is the problem. Are you afraid of an opinion?

I guess you can dish it out but can't take it. Too raw for you?

I'm not afraid of an opinion, nor to respond to one. There's nothing good on TV tonght, so keep it coming.
#57 Old 08-12-2003, 11:23 AM

OK...I have a front row seat...my lunch hour, and am about to pop some corn. Now, on with the show!
#58 Old 08-12-2003, 11:24 AM

Quote:

Some people might be dead w/o ADs? Then they werent strong enough to live.

Your opinion, not the truth. And the subject under discussion was honesty, and whether or not anyone should be offended by it.

Quote:
Lives are ruined b/c people have bad days? Bad days make good ones.

Lives are ruined because people who really need ADs and who don't take them because of the stigma associated with them
  • commit suicide
  • are not able to function, lose their jobs, homes, etc.
  • take an unbelievable emotional toll not only on themselves but the people who love them

The list goes on, but maybe you get the picture.
#59 Old 08-12-2003, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by MsRuthieB

OK...I have a front row seat...my lunch hour, and am about to pop some corn. Now, on with the show!

Will you toss us a few coins if we put our hats out?
#60 Old 08-12-2003, 11:36 AM
Veggie Regular

I don't find anything offensive about what PRP posted either, I actually find all the people who are calling her dumb and stupid to be more offensive.

I see exactly where you are coming from PRP. Medication is hugely abused. If someone has a problem they instantly turn to medication w/out thought of doing it on their own, everyone wants a quick fix and something that will make any pain in life go away. Why not live out the pain instead?

Now I know there are certain depressions that are so severe that medication is absolutely necassary. I guess we should ponder the question, why are so many people depressed to begin with?

I think therapy would be ideal for someone who is depressed along with a healthy diet.

I have anxiety and I have never submitted to prescriptions such as paxil for it although I have contemplated many herbs on and off. Now Currently I am getting therapy to learn to deal with the anxiety, to unlearn it and it has been hugely beneficial. I have lived with anxiety for 23 years and I have suceeded in staying strong without drugs.

It is really hard not to turn to drugs as they are so prevelant and mainstream. We are a society addicted to happiness, a society that can't deal naturally with problems that arise, a society addicted to medication, I think it would be smart to get to the root of the problem. Why are so many people depressed?

A good book to read is "The Weaning of America", he discusses that. Good book!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page