Paintball guns - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 12-06-2006, 06:31 PM
Veggie Regular

I am not sure where i should post this,but i have a few questions about paintball guns.

my soon to be 13yr old nephew is saving his money to buy a paintball gun.

does anyone know if a 13yr old is allowed to buy one?

is there any legal place that he can shoot the paintballs other than those organized "war game" places?

is he allowed to play with it outside in public without the paint balls?

i am trying to convince his mother not to let him buy one and need to know a little bit more.

besides the law,the dangers of a not very mature kid owning one,he plans to spend $700 on the gun.

thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 12-06-2006, 07:34 PM
Veggie Regular

It depends on where you live. Your profile says Montreal, which I know nothing about in this regard. Call your local municipality's office. If you live out in the country in a rural municipality, they're less likely to have regulations on paintball shooting. Cities tend to have them because of the likelihood of striking a person when someone shoots it off.

I have friends in Ohio who are in tournaments and all that. They have targets and such set up in their backyards, which are out in the country.

Beyond all that, if you don't think he can handle it safely considering his maturity level, then don't let him get a paintball gun. You're the parent here.

Q: How many poets does it take to change a light bulb? A: 1001...one to change the bulb, 1000 to say it's already been done.
#3 Old 12-06-2006, 07:58 PM
Veggie Regular

he lives on Toronto,Canada.

I dont have much of a say wether he buys it or not.i am his uncle.if i was his parent,he woundnt be buying one until he was 18.

i want to convince his mother (my sister) not to allow him to buy it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 12-06-2006, 08:02 PM
Veggie Regular

Ah, sorry, I missed that part. In that case, you could call the office of the officials that govern his region. If it's inside the city of Toronto, chances are good there's a law or two on the book prohibiting the firing of paintball guns in town.

Have you ever seen him handle any kind of weapon before? What leads you to believe this might not be a good toy for him to have?

Q: How many poets does it take to change a light bulb? A: 1001...one to change the bulb, 1000 to say it's already been done.
#5 Old 12-06-2006, 08:14 PM
Veggie Regular

He'll shoot his eye out!
#6 Old 12-07-2006, 07:56 AM
Veggie Regular

Personally I wouldn't give a 13 year old a paintball gun. I just don't think most kids are mature enough at his age to use it reponsibly. Besides, paintballs are made of gelatin
#7 Old 12-07-2006, 08:02 AM

Oh dear. $700. What a waste of money.
#8 Old 12-07-2006, 08:09 AM
Banned

I like paintballing it's great fun, but for obvious reasons, it's probably not an entirely appropriate pressie for a 13 y.old.

I can't really comment about the laws, because Im not familiar with them outside my own country.
#9 Old 12-07-2006, 10:28 AM
Veggie Regular

Well beyond having one or not $700? I assume this kid isnt exactly a serious pro paintballer and since he isnt you can easily get a quality paintball gun (they are called "markers") for $100.
#10 Old 12-07-2006, 10:34 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyVT View Post

Well beyond having one or not $700? I assume this kid isnt exactly a serious pro paintballer and since he isnt you can easily get a quality paintball gun (they are called "markers") for $100.

Good point. I didn't bat an eye at the price because I'm always hearing my semi-pro paintball friends talk about the cash they shell out for their markers. Even if this 13-year-old kid goes serious with this later, there's nothing wrong with starting him off with the $100 marker vs. the $700 cadillac.

#11 Old 12-07-2006, 01:18 PM
Veggie Regular

$700 is insane !!
#12 Old 12-08-2006, 11:46 AM
Veggie Regular

Get him an airsoft and he can shoot targets in the back yard. plus, no mess!

They even have semi and fully automatic airsofts... afaik they only go as high as 300fps, so its not as dangerous as a bb rifle.
#13 Old 12-08-2006, 11:48 AM
Veggie Regular

Speaking of paintball, btw. I bought two markers at walmart for $9 each (on clearance) and sold them on ebay for $80/ea. But yeah, they have them as cheap as $70~.... dont really need the $700 one unless your in some sort of professional tourny or something.
#14 Old 12-08-2006, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by troub View Post

Speaking of paintball, btw. I bought two markers at walmart for $9 each (on clearance) and sold them on ebay for $80/ea. But yeah, they have them as cheap as $70~.... dont really need the $700 one unless your in some sort of professional tourny or something.

Nice profit.
#15 Old 12-13-2006, 03:18 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm a 16-year old, and personally, I don't believe paintballs or their guns are necessary. I don't even know anything about them. However, they promote violence (shooting), as stated earlier, the paintballs are made of gelatin (which promotes animal cruelty), and the idea of such young kids trying to "mature" so quickly and at younger ages is ridiculous (nowadays, even preteens are getting purses and cellphones and acting like older kids and experiencing puberty earlier, causing them to be called "tweens"). Overall, if it was me, I would forbid it, until my child was out of my household (though I sure don't plan on having kids).
#16 Old 12-13-2006, 03:34 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie View Post

He'll shoot his eye out!

All I could think when I read the OP was "You'll shoot your eye out, kid."
#17 Old 12-14-2006, 01:07 PM
Veggie Regular

I dont think it's a good idea to let him get a paintball gun. I dont know about the laws, but I have a few friends who were/are really into paintballing and it can be a real pain for the parents, for one if he's going to be playing with other kids (as opposed to just going around shooting stuff) I've heard of some kids who freeze their paintballs, or get continuous shooting guns. So he could get really hurt. Also, I don't know if money is an issue or not, but i do know it's INCREDIBLY costly, so that may be an issue. I think you should wait until he's older, if he really wants it he can buy it himself. =P
#18 Old 12-14-2006, 02:29 PM
Veggie Regular

Granted, I don't have kids.

BUT, IF I did... they wouldn't get a squirt gun from me.

That's how much I detest guns.

That's also why I shouldn't have kids...

Nec Aspera Terrent

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page