Racist Remarks Made at Comedy Club - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

#1 Old 11-21-2006, 09:08 PM
Veggie Regular

[youtube]_q8LxO4wnCQ[/youtube]

Popular comedian uses the n-word during his act.

Oh and if you didn't hear everyone is called Michael Richards a racist for using the same word in his act a few nights ago.

gotta love double standards.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 11-21-2006, 10:30 PM
Veggie Regular

If you don't understand the difference between a black man saying the n word and a white man using the n word repeatedly to insult someone (and saying they should be lynched like in the past), there's less hope for you than I thought.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael...ctory_incident
#3 Old 11-21-2006, 10:33 PM
Banned

He didn't use it in his act. He used it towards some black hecklers in the audience.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 11-21-2006, 10:40 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahjayn1980 View Post

I see it more as sarcastic social commentary vs. personal attacks that include references to lynching, but, hey, I guess you only posted one side of the story for a reason.

and I have a pretty good idea what that reason could be.
#5 Old 11-21-2006, 11:03 PM
Veggie Regular

Yeah Richard's hate speech had **** to do with an "act" of any kind.

"and I stand

upon a mountain

made of weak and useless men"

#6 Old 11-21-2006, 11:09 PM
Veggie Regular

The fact that he's even trying to compare the two is so unreasonable (how many times have i used that word today on vb?) and completely disturbing.
#7 Old 11-21-2006, 11:37 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaya View Post

The fact that he's even trying to compare the two is so unreasonable (how many times have i used that word today on vb?) and completely disturbing.

I can't understand defending Michael Richards at all. If the first thing you go to in anger is racial slurs and hate speach that's a pretty good window into someone's true feelings, regardless of what sort of face they usually present to the world.

I suppose if someone identifies with that sort of reaction, defending it would seem reasonable.
#8 Old 11-21-2006, 11:43 PM
Banned

I think he may have just been misinformed about the situation; and thought that he used it in his act (which isn't that much different, but I guess it depends on the context) instead of actually using it towards some black folks.
#9 Old 11-22-2006, 07:41 AM

No ****ing way is that the same. Here is the Richards incident:

[youtube]U3RjiVcIlhY[/youtube]

Maybe you see it as a double standard troub, but my suspicion is that you're being intentionally obtuse here, in the hopes of starting a "debate".

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol
#10 Old 11-22-2006, 07:45 AM

Argh, apparently the embedded video doesn't work. Here is the direct link:

http://youtube.com/verify_age?next_u...%3DU3RjiVcIlhY

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol
#11 Old 11-22-2006, 08:08 AM
Banned

Wow. Someone is actually trying to compare Chris Rock to Michael Richards.

Wow. Just wow.
#12 Old 11-22-2006, 12:16 PM
Veggie Regular

Yeah. troub, man...sorry. That's not even CLOSE to the same thing.

Never mind the fundamental difference that Chris Rock is one funny mofo whereas Michael Richards is like a person who said something funny once and made a few people laugh...and then kept trying to recreate that experience.

Michael Richards needs to go away now and never come back.
#13 Old 11-22-2006, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahjayn1980 View Post

I see it more as sarcastic social commentary vs. personal attacks that include references to lynching, but, hey, I guess you only posted one side of the story for a reason.

Ditto.
#14 Old 11-22-2006, 02:38 PM

Either use of the word, regardless of ethnicity is inappropriate. I'm pretty sure that Troub only posted this to show his dislike for the word in general and finds it hypocritical, like my fiance and I do.

Don't excuse it in either context, please.
#15 Old 11-22-2006, 03:10 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by KamikazeD View Post

Either use of the word, regardless of ethnicity is inappropriate. I'm pretty sure that Troub only posted this to show his dislike for the word in general and finds it hypocritical, like my fiance and I do.

How many ways are there to interpret this statement?

"Oh and if you didn't hear everyone is called Michael Richards a racist for using the same word in his act a few nights ago. "
#16 Old 11-22-2006, 04:28 PM
Veggie Regular

People aren't upset at MR for using the n-word. They are upset bc he went on an unimaginable hate-filled tirade that could not have been interpreted as some who got angry and snapped and said, n*****, or as comedy, or anything else but what it was. It went on for several minutes. He said things that wouldn't even occur to most people to even consider saying even if did snap. The n-word was about the least offensive thing he said.

My jaw dropped when I saw that video. It was much worse than I had imagined.

Hey, I wonder, is it offensive to say, "I find the word n***** offensive."?
#17 Old 11-22-2006, 06:48 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by KamikazeD View Post

this was my intent.

all i hear is everyone talking about him saying the n-word, no one ever said anything about any rage, its just "kramer said n___er". gasp. shock. awe.

i respond with "doesnt chris rock say cr___er all the time?

and they get all offended like im somehow advocating the use of the word or something.

i think all hate words like this should be dropped from our lexicon. Just because your skin color is one way or another shouldnt excuse the use of a word that carries hatred. Just let it die from our lexicon already. rappahs and gangstahs spouting it off in their daily language doesnt help this at all.

...well, excuse my poor attempt at a "sarcastic perspective change post" like i normally do. it is kind of a shock to see him freak out at the guy. i dont think we should excuse the heckling or anything, but wow, kramer freaked out.
#18 Old 11-22-2006, 08:07 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by troub View Post

this was my intent.

all i hear is everyone talking about him saying the n-word, no one ever said anything about any rage, its just "kramer said n___er". gasp. shock. awe.

i respond with "doesnt chris rock say cr___er all the time?

and they get all offended like im somehow advocating the use of the word or something.

I don't understand how you can form an opinion on something you know nothing about. That doesn't make any sense to me. You are computer literate enough to find the c. rock video and post it but you didn't bother to google what you were forming an opion on?
#19 Old 11-22-2006, 11:30 PM

Well, this didn't take long. Someone is making money off of it already..

http://www.tshirthell.com/store/prod...?productid=809
#20 Old 11-22-2006, 11:41 PM

I just found the funniest editing on a youtube video looking for Kramer stuff...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-uLoAjAuYoI
#21 Old 11-22-2006, 11:45 PM
Veggie Regular

The Letterman appearance:

[youtube]U8uOB0RxCO4[/youtube]

"and I stand

upon a mountain

#22 Old 11-23-2006, 12:14 AM

From what I saw of the video he wasn't being heckled by the group that he was directing his rant at. Two of the guys have actually got a lawyer now and are sueing. The stated that they were part of a large group of 20. They came in after he had started his show, sat down, and were ordering drinks. The distraction of the group coming in threw him off and after that it's history.
#23 Old 11-23-2006, 12:33 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SotallyTober View Post

I just found the funniest editing on a youtube video looking for Kramer stuff...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-uLoAjAuYoI

@ the teacher saying "Can you lend a nigga a pencil?"

I went to the real interview with the teacher after seeing your link to the "remix."
#24 Old 11-23-2006, 06:02 AM

He has anger issues, that's pretty evident...and I believe that's all, excluding the obvious..."stuff".
#25 Old 11-23-2006, 08:36 AM
Veggie Regular

Yes, he has anger issues. He admits that. Anger and alcohol loosen your inhibitions and let your true feelings come out.
#26 Old 11-23-2006, 09:13 AM
Joe
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SotallyTober View Post

Well, this didn't take long. Someone is making money off of it already..

http://www.tshirthell.com/store/prod...?productid=809

Is that shirt supposed to be making fun of KKKramer? Or is it applauding/celebrating what he did? I think it's possible to interpret it either way.
#27 Old 11-23-2006, 09:32 AM
Joe
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpickell View Post

Yes, he has anger issues. He admits that. Anger and alcohol loosen your inhibitions and let your true feelings come out.

I agree with this up to a point, but most people have conflicting feelings about many things. I don't think that their "drunk out of their mind" feelings are necessarily any "truer" than their "sober" feelings.

I just don't see alcohol as being an infallible truth serum.
#28 Old 11-23-2006, 10:54 AM
Banned

I'm not excusing what he did, either. However, when someone is angry, it's not necessarily their true feelings that come out, but what would hurt the other person more; and get the bigger reaction.
#29 Old 11-23-2006, 03:37 PM
Veggie Regular

^That's kind of what I was thinking. The angrier you are, the more you want to insult someone, and the more you want to insult someone, the lower you want to go. And that kind of a racist attack is the lowest of the low.

"and I stand

upon a mountain

#30 Old 11-28-2006, 10:39 AM
Veggie Regular

And not to defend uncontrolled rage (oxymoron), but usually rage isn't rational and we do stupid stuff, sometimes inexcusable stuff. We've all lost it at one time or another, and regretted the things we've said. But this doesn't mean that the things we've said were necessarily representing who we are, just the things we wanted to use to hurt people. Yeah, it's all gray, but what isn't.

Interestingly, I just saw a program on Tourette's syndrome, and there was a sufferer that could not control his use of profanity and racially derogatory remarks. He had been working at a hospital for like twenty years and his coworkers all knew he was a good person. But as his condition worsened and the profanities and racist remarks increased, it became difficult for these same coworkers to see past his condition. They still knew deep down that he didn't mean the things he said, but the words hurt too much to ignore. Just an interesting situation with a slight tangential association to the thread.

Yeah, MR lost it and shouldn't have said what he did, but for me, I will let MR's response speak for who he really is.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page