US Elections anyone? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 11-06-2006, 03:07 AM

Thoughts? Predictions?

Do you think the Dems are going to take control of either house? I've found it interesting that the news here in the UK is occasionally better (more complete) than some of the US papers!

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 11-06-2006, 03:14 AM
Veggie Regular

It's going to be close. Too close.
#3 Old 11-06-2006, 09:46 AM
Veggie Regular

I think the possibility of a democratic majority in congress is being played up in order to motivate republicans and to get democrats to be non-chalant about getting to the polls. I'd say that the margins are far closer than we're being lead to believe.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 11-06-2006, 09:48 AM

There are a few states that are going to be close calls. I'm guessing it'll be decided in the courts. That's what both sides are preparing for, anyway. So who knows what will happen?
#5 Old 11-06-2006, 12:22 PM
Veggie Regular

I think that it will be way too close. To be honest I'm not that optimistic.
#6 Old 11-06-2006, 12:39 PM
Banned

Hillary Clinton called me one time.

She said she wasn't wearing any panties.
#7 Old 11-06-2006, 01:42 PM
Veggie Regular

Does it matter? It's all rigged, and we're all screwed. I'm looking for property in Canada.
#8 Old 11-06-2006, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tame View Post

Maybe she just couldn't find them because they were stuck so far....

<<not a Hillary fan

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol
#9 Old 11-06-2006, 04:42 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm pessimistic, and even if the Dems get control, little will change in a meaningful way. Blech.
#10 Old 11-06-2006, 05:47 PM
Veggie Regular

First off, kpickell, *love* the avatar. Love it.

It really seems like it doesn't matter much - at least around here. In Florida, a democrat or a republican doesn't seem to mean what it meant when I've lived in other states. We need to elect a governor, and it really comes down to a lesser of two evils. Do you elect the guy who is supposedly in cahoots with the insurance companies (and homeowners in Florida, especially coastal, are in a bad way in this regard) or do you choose the guy who basically just never showed up to work? By all accounts, they are both crooks.

And then I think I know what to vote for on certain issues, but then someone I sincerely dislike comes out and says I'm making the right decision. I hate election time.
#11 Old 11-06-2006, 05:50 PM
Veggie Regular

there's an election going on?

j/k

I have no idea what's going to happen for Oregon as I haven't been paying attention to the polls. I didn't know what measures were on the ballot till I got my pamphlet, oops (I used to be so much more aware; how embarrassing). Turns out we still have the same old issues on the ballot, though...

* abortion restriction

* anti-gay crap

* property tax increase caps

* campaign contribution limits

blah, blah, blah.

However, we have mail voting in Oregon, so I don't have to go stand in line for an hour on Tuesday. nyah nyah.
#12 Old 11-06-2006, 08:13 PM
Veggie Regular

What I do know is, Bob Taft will no longer be Ohio's governor. His approval rating has been even lower than President Bush's, which is really saying something. I can't predict whether Strickland or Blackwell will be the new governor--I just know both have positives and negatives.

I also know I love Election Night. It's a big party at work, and the company pays for the pizza. I should pick up a bottle of wine, since I know the company won't spring for that. I'm really hoping this particular school income tax passes so I won't have to keep writing about it endlessly. It seems like I've written about it at least once every week since June. It can't be that often, though. Not possible.

Q: How many poets does it take to change a light bulb? A: 1001...one to change the bulb, 1000 to say it's already been done.
#13 Old 11-06-2006, 08:20 PM
Veggie Regular

Election Day should be a federal holiday, where everyone gets the day off to go vote.
#14 Old 11-06-2006, 08:22 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by OregonAmy View Post

Election Day should be a federal holiday, where everyone gets the day off to go vote.

Everyone except medical staff, news media, movie theaters, fast food joints and utility company workers, right?

Some countries have Election Day on a Sunday, though, when "most" people have the day off already.

Q: How many poets does it take to change a light bulb? A: 1001...one to change the bulb, 1000 to say it's already been done.
#15 Old 11-06-2006, 08:23 PM
Banned

Quote:

thats funny...

one time I was drunk and I was calling numbers in the ATL and I was like "I'm Hillary and I ain't wearing no panties okaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay" and the guy was all like "don't make me shove my hello kitty slipper up yo *bleep*"
#16 Old 11-06-2006, 08:28 PM
Veggie Regular

^^ ^^

Quote:
Originally Posted by skylark View Post

Everyone except medical staff, news media, movie theaters, fast food joints and utility company workers, right?

Some countries have Election Day on a Sunday, though, when "most" people have the day off already.

It should be like Christmas or Thanksgiving, where business are either closed or close early, and where necessary staff are employed for compensatory wages (like double time).
#17 Old 11-06-2006, 09:02 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by remilard View Post

thats funny...

one time I was drunk and I was calling numbers in the ATL and I was like "I'm Hillary and I ain't wearing no panties okaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay" and the guy was all like "don't make me shove my hello kitty slipper up yo *bleep*"

That couldn't have been me.

She said she wasn't wearing any panties, but then I said I was.
#18 Old 11-06-2006, 09:16 PM
Veggie Regular

I don't think i'll vote tomorrow. During the dem primaries i voted and my canidate didn't make the ticket. i don't like the dem running as he supports illegals. i don't like the repub canidate because her campain has been over the top nasty. i would have voted for her otherwise (most likely). I asked my DH to vote dem for everything else tomorrow. he'll be voting green for gov. he was peeved that i was going to vote for a repub, not that it matters in MA, but now it doesn't matter.
#19 Old 11-06-2006, 09:17 PM
Banned

And I guess that's why

They call you the pimp

Time on the net

Could be time spent with you

Laughing like FR

Lying like silver

Rolling like wonder, under a brother

And I guess that's why

They call you the pimp
#20 Old 11-06-2006, 09:18 PM
Banned

Visual.
#21 Old 11-06-2006, 09:19 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaya View Post

I don't think i'll vote tomorrow. During the dem primaries i voted and my canidate didn't make the ticket. i don't like the dem running as he supports illegals. i don't like the repub canidate because her campain has been over the top nasty. i would have voted for her otherwise (most likely). I asked my DH to vote dem for everything else tomorrow. he'll be voting green for gov. he was peeved that i was going to vote for a repub, not that it matters in MA, but now it doesn't matter.

Aren't there ballot measures and judges to vote for? it's not just a gubernatorial race.
#22 Old 11-06-2006, 09:19 PM
Banned

Quote:

That couldn't have been me.

She said she wasn't wearing any panties, but then I said I was.

Visual.
#23 Old 11-06-2006, 09:23 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Aren't there ballot measures and judges to vote for? it's not just a gubernatorial race.

well, that's why i asked my dh to vote dem (for me). he doesn't keep up with local politics, even tho he's glued to CNN and FOX. he's more interesed in national stuff. I have a 13 hour work day mon-wed. I'm gonna try and get to the polls before work but it's tough in my area early in morning.

eta: which is another issue addressed by the reform party. it should be on saturdays, not tuesdays.
#24 Old 11-06-2006, 09:26 PM
Veggie Regular

Maybe next time if you are working that many hours (or regardless) you could get an absentee ballot. Do you get the voter's pamphlet mailed to you? If not, you can get one at your post office.

I use that to guide me through my ballot. I read the issue first, make my decision, then read though the pro/con arguments to verify my decision. Most of the time my decision is unchanged. However, sometimes some of the pro/con arguments change my mind.

Anyway, voting is your responsibility. You really should vote next time, even if it's only for one of the ballot measures and nothing else. It's your voice.
#25 Old 11-06-2006, 09:27 PM
Banned

Quote:

it should be on saturdays, not tuesdays.

that is going to do nothing for my golf game
#26 Old 11-06-2006, 09:29 PM
Veggie Regular

/lecture.

ahem.
#27 Old 11-06-2006, 09:29 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Maybe next time if you are working that many hours (or regardless) you could get an absentee ballot. Do you get the voter's pamphlet mailed to you? If not, you can get one at your post office.

I use that to guide me through my ballot. I read the issue first, make my decision, then read though the pro/con arguments to verify my decision. Most of the time my decision is unchanged. However, sometimes some of the pro/con arguments change my mind.

Anyway, voting is your responsibility. You really should vote next time, even if it's only for one of the ballot measures and nothing else. It's your voice.

I agree and your right. It is my responsibility. Normally I'm pretty on top of what's going on. I missed every debate this fall. i haven't watched the news. I'm so behind on everything. I have two jobs right now along with school. I don't eta: know my as$ from my elbow. Maybe i'll get myself up early enough but i hate voting blind.
#28 Old 11-06-2006, 09:31 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by remilard View Post

that is going to do nothing for my golf game

all day? really? have you seen the reform website...it's little but i love their ideas. http://reformparty.org/platform.htm
#29 Old 11-06-2006, 09:32 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

i hate voting blind.

Same here, which is why I'm such a big fan of the mail-in ballot (we don't go to voting booths in Oregon, we all vote by mail). It's really nice - I get about 3 weeks to read through my voter's pamphlet and fill out my ballot. I can do it whenever I want.

You can do the same with an absentee ballot next time - just google "absentee ballot (state)" and you'll get a link for it. That way you have a lot of time to read through your material & vote - and you don't have to try to watch commercials and try to figure out wtf they really say
#30 Old 11-06-2006, 09:39 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Same here, which is why I'm such a big fan of the mail-in ballot (we don't go to voting booths in Oregon, we all vote by mail). It's really nice - I get about 3 weeks to read through my voter's pamphlet and fill out my ballot. I can do it whenever I want.

You can do the same with an absentee ballot next time - just google "absentee ballot (state)" and you'll get a link for it. That way you have a lot of time to read through your material & vote - and you don't have to try to watch commercials and try to figure out wtf they really say

That's a very good idea and absentee ballot has drifted in and out my mind lol. It would be nice to have all the material on "everyone" for the elections right in my hands. I don't even know everyone who is running for local elections. And it takes so much time to research and so many spew bullsh*t. I like to research the resume of any canidate when i have the time...like their affiliates, financial supporters, community history etc. It's a daunting process.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page