US Elections anyone? - Page 4 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#91 Old 11-07-2006, 07:17 PM
Veggie Regular

My county needs to hurry the **** up and post those darn results. I have to know the results before I can call the people putting these issues on, so I can write my three stories and go home.

I have a high school student shadowing me tomorrow starting at 9 a.m., and I don't want to be dragging through the day.

Q: How many poets does it take to change a light bulb? A: 1001...one to change the bulb, 1000 to say it's already been done.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#92 Old 11-07-2006, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by veggiejanie View Post

C1: First of all, you are so respectful. You rock!

Thanks Janie! You're right, I do!

In lieu of spending the next 45 minutes typing out a more detailed response, I'll just say that we'll have to agree to disagree on this one.
#93 Old 11-07-2006, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by compassionate1 View Post

Thanks Janie! You're right, I do!

In lieu of spending the next 45 minutes typing out a more detailed response, I'll just say that we'll have to agree to disagree on this one.

Okay!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#94 Old 11-07-2006, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by veggiejanie View Post

Okay!

And I see your smileys and raise you a and

Because smiley wars rule!
#95 Old 11-07-2006, 08:56 PM
Veggie Regular

Democrats take over da world.
#96 Old 11-07-2006, 09:02 PM
Veggie Regular

Geez, did enough states ban gay marriage... I think there might be a state or two that got left out.
#97 Old 11-07-2006, 09:33 PM
Banned

Yay, no dove hunting in michigan!
#98 Old 11-07-2006, 09:56 PM
Banned

I think my homies in VA might pull though....
#99 Old 11-07-2006, 10:15 PM
Red
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpickell View Post

Geez, did enough states ban gay marriage... I think there might be a state or two that got left out.

But hey, if it was by popular vote it must be good. No?
#100 Old 11-07-2006, 10:21 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Word up. Tyranny of the majority, right on.
#101 Old 11-08-2006, 04:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red View Post

God Bless America.

But there was lots of good news:

I am glad to see that the abortion ban was rejected in SD. Although, it's interesting to see that it was relatively close (55/45), even though the proposed law left out the usual rape/incest clause. Scary.

Gov. Granholm hangs on against the lying Amway king in Michigan. As mentioned, the dove hunting bill went down there as well.

The Greens garnered over 7% of the vote for the Governor's office in Illinois! Cook County passed a referendum calling for withdrawal from Iraq (yes, I know it's symbolic).

McCaskill wins in MO! The stem cell issue votes are still being counted, it appears.

And..I must complain.

Over and over and over again, I saw reported. "The Democrats need a net gain of 15 seats to gain control of the House." The split is currently 232R, 202D, 1I. This means they need a net gain of 16, not 15 to gain a majority. Whew.

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol
#102 Old 11-08-2006, 04:30 AM

Just read that it's official..Arizona becomes the first state to vote down a gay marriage ban.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20061108/...allot_measures

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol
#103 Old 11-08-2006, 07:42 AM
Veggie Regular

It disgusts me that people will vote to ban gay marraige.
#104 Old 11-08-2006, 07:57 AM

I've commented many times to acquaintances, that I still cannot believe that this is the hot button issue it's become. More controversial than the war, any economic issue, nuclear proliferation, even abortion.

Never mind all that...if those gays can marry, well then we're doomed.

#105 Old 11-08-2006, 08:13 AM

^^ Agreed.

My biggest complaint about the elections is that watching Chris Matthews makes my head hurt.

That guy seriously has something wrong with him.

I vote for a ban on Chris Matthews using any kind of stimulant.

I'm C1 and I approve this message.

[addendum]

As an addendum, I made sure to catch Fox and Friends this morning. The apparently "objective" Steve Doocy said "And the Democrats taking over the House means that the new Majority Leader is Nancy Pelosi and her (exact words here) "San Francisco Values".

Fair and Balanced indeed....

[/addendum]
#106 Old 11-08-2006, 08:38 AM
Veggie Regular

About the gay marriage bans. I think it is really ridiculous as well.

Disclaimer: Okay, please don't kill me because I'm just trying to make a point.

Anyways. Most of the people I hear about are wanting to ban gay marriage because of religious/moral/ignorance reasons. People need to understand that not matter what you think about the relationship itself gay marriage issues aren't really about the relationship. It is about the laws. It is about giving people fair rights. It isn't about supporting a gay relationship it is about allowing tax credits and other rights to a couple. I think it is dumb to focus on it so much. We let tax credits and other rights go to people with 10 different marriages and with 50 year old married to 18 year olds. If you're so offended by a gay marriage then you should probably be offended by those too.

Okay, please understand what I'm trying to get across here. I just wish people understood that it isn't about supporting a certain relationship it is about fair laws. And IamJen is right, there are so many other things people need to focus on. This is just another thing for people to bring out at election time to get votes. It is a scare tactic that gay marriage will affect the institution of marriage.

Okay, done.
#107 Old 11-08-2006, 08:56 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aimra View Post

It is about the laws.

Agreed.

Quote:
It is about giving people fair rights.

Disagree.

Quote:
It isn't about supporting a gay relationship it is about allowing tax credits and other rights to a couple.

That is supporting the relationship.

Quote:
I think it is dumb to focus on it so much.

Blame the courts.

Quote:
We let tax credits and other rights go to people with 10 different marriages and with 50 year old married to 18 year olds. If you're so offended by a gay marriage then you should probably be offended by those too.

Maybe some of us are.

Quote:

I just wish people understood that it isn't about supporting a certain relationship it is about fair laws.

The laws are fair. Every gender, religion, and race have the same rights to marry as the others. Gays fit none of those groups.

Quote:
And IamJen is right, there are so many other things people need to focus on. This is just another thing for people to bring out at election time to get votes. It is a scare tactic that gay marriage will affect the institution of marriage.

I get so tired of this bull**** line from the left. The legislation is in response to courts overstepping their bounds. That is what made it an issue.
#108 Old 11-08-2006, 09:00 AM
Veggie Regular

There are two sentences in the Bible about homosexuality, but dozens, perhaps thousands about greed. Where is the "greed ban"?

It's just weird to me that people get so hung about this issue because of "religious reasons," supposedly. Anyway, back on topic.

Folks mostly voted Republican in my area, as expected, but Texas as a whole made some Democratic gains I believe.

We still have Governor Good Hair (Rick Perry) though.....
#109 Old 11-08-2006, 09:09 AM

Starting to look like Dems win Congress, with Tester beating Burns and Webb beating George "macaca" Allen.

Recounts are looming, however.

ETA: if anyone is offended by the above word (which Allen used) I will gladly edit.
#110 Old 11-08-2006, 09:09 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tame View Post

The laws are fair. Every gender, religion, and race have the same rights to marry as the others. Gays fit none of those groups.

No, it isn't fair. Anti-gay marriage laws say a male can't marry a male, that's like saying a white can't marry a white. "Male" is a gender. If there were equal protection for gender, then men could marry men, women marry women, as those are genders.
#111 Old 11-08-2006, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tame View Post

I get so tired of this bull**** line from the left. The legislation is in response to courts overstepping their bounds. That is what made it an issue.

Sooooo disagree. The courts can't rule unless someone bring the issue to them (i.e. gay couples wanting to get hitched).

I guess I'm just amazed that there's such a focus on this issue. I understand disagreement on other "Christian conservative" type issues. Abortion foes see it as murder, gambling is sinful/harms families, prayer in schools..etc.

I don't get why giving two men or women the right to marry is such a big deal. I've heard all of the "belittles marriage" arguments, but I don't think people really believe that. Is it really that so many people believe homosexuality is wrong, and so this would condone "wrong" behavior?

Hm.

#112 Old 11-08-2006, 09:32 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludi View Post

We still have Governor Good Hair (Rick Perry) though.....

Rick Perry bugs me more than any politician ever. Ug.

I am mad at Kinky now for even running - I think that spread the votes out too thin and made it impossible for Chris Bell to win. I respect the spirit in which Kinky joined the race (to say f-you to all politicians) but in the end it didn't really work and just gave us Perry again.

/Texas governor rant.
#113 Old 11-08-2006, 09:53 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamJen View Post

Sooooo disagree. The courts can't rule unless someone bring the issue to them (i.e. gay couples wanting to get hitched).

What made it a political issue?

Without activist judges and gay groups trying to get their way, it wouldn't be a political issue.

Were amendments like these ever discussed before the court rulings? I rest my case.

Quote:

I guess I'm just amazed that there's such a focus on this issue. I understand disagreement on other "Christian conservative" type issues. Abortion foes see it as murder, gambling is sinful/harms families, prayer in schools..etc.

Don't forget this is intertwined with the views that conservatives hold regarding activist courts.

Quote:

I don't get why giving two men or women the right to marry is such a big deal. I've heard all of the "belittles marriage" arguments, but I don't think people really believe that. Is it really that so many people believe homosexuality is wrong, and so this would condone "wrong" behavior?

It isn't that big of a deal. That's why we pass our legislation and move on.
#114 Old 11-08-2006, 09:56 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludi View Post

No, it isn't fair. Anti-gay marriage laws say a male can't marry a male, that's like saying a white can't marry a white. "Male" is a gender. If there were equal protection for gender, then men could marry men, women marry women, as those are genders.

Wrong. Each gender has exactly the same right - to marry someone of the opposite gender.

Every race has the same right - to marry someone of any other race.

Gays have the same rights as heteros - marry someone of the opposite gender. And as sexual orientation is not a protected class under federal, and most state, laws, that is all they are entitled to at this time.
#115 Old 11-08-2006, 10:11 AM
Veggie Regular

I bet Tame still believes women shouldnt vote.
#116 Old 11-08-2006, 10:13 AM
Contributing Member

It feels like christmas morning when I was a kid, waking up to find a great present under the tree.

And I must say Rumsfeld resigning is a great present to wake up to.

‎"One meal, soon forgotten, in exchange for a whole life." Author Unknown
"Fur is worn by beautiful animals and ugly people"

#117 Old 11-08-2006, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whisper View Post

It feels like christmas morning when I was a kid, waking up to find a great present under the tree.

And I must say Rumsfeld resigning is a great present to wake up to.

He resigned? What?????

Wow I need to turn on the news apparently. That's what I get for sleeping in.
#118 Old 11-08-2006, 10:28 AM

CNN projects Tester wins Montana's senate seat.

I have to give credit to Tucker Carlson who, when everyone said the Dems would win only the House, said that if they won the House they would win the Senate also. It certainly now looks that way.
#119 Old 11-08-2006, 10:53 AM
Veggie Regular

Ohio passed a state-wide smoking ban (issue 5). I'm happy about it. Now I won't have to be subjected to chain smoking all day at work once it goes into effect.
#120 Old 11-08-2006, 10:57 AM
Veggie Regular

Oh, and I also vote (VOTE! ha ha ha.. ahem.. oh. hmm) to have the gay marriage posts moved to a different thread. While they are very interesting, they really have nothing to do with this thread and should maybe have a home of their own.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page