anti-consumerisim - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 11-01-2006, 07:50 AM
Beginner

Any thoughts on anti-consumerisim? I was having a conversation with a friend last night on the phone and she was telling me that she went shopping for winter clothes and she bought 6 new pair of jeans. She asked me about my jeans and I told her..heck I dont even own one pair of jeans. I find them to be too uncomfortable. I wear athletic pants mostly b/c i am always outside hiking etc...they blew her mind that I wasnt into the latest jean trends..I just dont really care about fashion. I'm more into comfort.

I don't know if it's just me or what but I think I own 6 pair of pants total. I wear them until they wear out and then I will go and buy a new pair to replace the worn out ones. Same thing with shirts and shoes.

It boggles my mind how people are always out shopping..Since you can only wear one outfit at a time, what is the big need to have so many clothes..I dont get it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 11-01-2006, 07:50 AM
Beginner

Any thoughts on anti-consumerisim? I was having a conversation with a friend last night on the phone and she was telling me that she went shopping for winter clothes and she bought 6 new pair of jeans. She asked me about my jeans and I told her..heck I dont even own one pair of jeans. I find them to be too uncomfortable. I wear athletic pants mostly b/c i am always outside hiking etc...that blew her mind that I wasnt into the latest jean trends..I just dont really care about fashion. I'm more into comfort.

I don't know if it's just me or what but I think I own 6 pair of pants total. I wear them until they wear out and then I will go and buy a new pair to replace the worn out ones. Same thing with shirts and shoes.

It boggles my mind how people are always out shopping..Since you can only wear one outfit at a time, what is the big need to have so many clothes..I dont get it.
#3 Old 11-01-2006, 07:58 AM
Veggie Regular

I think if people were less materialistic they could spend more time living their lives and less time working to make money to pay for stuff.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 11-01-2006, 08:02 AM
Veggie Regular

I just went out and bought 2 pairs of jeans...i think that brings my total to 4!

Why have a lot of something you can wear 2-3 times before washing?

I still wear good shirts to work I have taken care of that I have had for 3+ years. Not to mention some of my hiking clothes (my fleece vest) is pushing 10 years (allthough its a bit on teh short side considering i got it when i was around 6'2ish and now i am 6'7ish

Why buy more stuff just to have it when the stuff you have works fine?
#5 Old 11-01-2006, 08:29 AM
Banned

I've got more than 6 pairs of athletic pants...I guess that makes me a consumer
#6 Old 11-01-2006, 08:32 AM
Veggie Regular

I think the world would be a better place if people stopped wearing pants.
#7 Old 11-01-2006, 08:33 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeezycreezy View Post

I think the world would be a better place if people stopped wearing pants.

#8 Old 11-01-2006, 09:36 AM
Veggie Regular

As someone who needs tod drive out to do laundary and doesn't have their own home, having more pants is much more convient for me. My clothing comes from the thrift store so it's not as consumer oriented as going to the mall I think. Overall I see your point. Shopping is a guilty pleasure for me and the only thing that stops me is lack of a steady income.

I ended up with $13 in my bank account because I bought things like new shelves, a case of drawing paper, markers and new sheet protectors.

Naturally I could justisfy that I'm building a new portfolio, but it doesn't help with the overdue bills piling up here and warning notices.
#9 Old 11-01-2006, 09:42 AM

I don't understand anti-consumerism.
#10 Old 11-01-2006, 10:19 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by astro View Post

I've got more than 6 pairs of athletic pants...I guess that makes me a consumer

no, that makes you a nouveau~riche bogan

and seeing you use the term "athletic pants" just isn't right!

m8itcanw8.com
#11 Old 11-01-2006, 10:37 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by veggiejanie View Post

I don't understand anti-consumerism.

I think people are talking more about hyperconsumerism.

Buying beyond your means and continually buying things you don't need to replace things you already have that are in fine shape (but not "new").
#12 Old 11-01-2006, 10:41 AM

Well, I would guess that most people engage in hyperconsumerism if that is the definition we are using. Doesn't everyone buy beyond what they "need" to survive?
#13 Old 11-01-2006, 10:52 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aimra View Post

I think people are talking more about hyperconsumerism.

I don't know what y'all are talkin' about. I thought this thread was about pants.
#14 Old 11-01-2006, 11:07 AM
Veggie Regular

Beyond survival?...like say having a computer?.
#15 Old 11-01-2006, 11:12 AM
Veggie Regular

I buy more clothes than I literally need. So shoot me. I support my local non-profit thrift stores in the process, and garments I'm not wearing anymore go to them to resell, as well. The non-profit thrift stores' proceeds benefit the local social services like our chapter of Habitat for Humanity, battered women's shelters, Planned Parenthood (they don't do abortions in my county), church-affiliated international aid organizations and Goodwill's job services. Does it seem crazy to help needy people by buying things I don't literally need to keep me alive and warm? Maybe. I also buy things I do need there, like my winter coat. I suppose I could have salvaged the one I'd had for years, but the zipper broke and paint spilled on it, so I decided to donate it for anyone else who might find it useful, and I bought one I liked better for $10.

I buy costumes and costume-related items at the second-hand stores, too. I don't "need" them, but I enjoy Renaissance Faires, costume parties and the like. Again, kill me because I am a horrible person.

Would I do the same if I only had access to department stores and fancy boutiques? Heck no. I'm way more thrifty than that.

Do I buy what I consider to be "a lot" of items I don't technically need? No, but someone else might see it that way. I don't "need" the four old hardback books I bought to sit on my endtable to fit with the decor in my living room, but I thought an old Baptist songbook, Spanish Catholic mass book, and a collection of short stories from the early 20th Century would be a nice addition. I bought them for under $5 at a second-hand place that raises money to send relief to the far corners of the earth. Same with my stained-glass knick-nack collection that I buy a little bit here and there.

I guess everyone benefits from this arrangementlandfills don't fill up, people have a place to get rid of their still-usable unwanted items, others buy things on the cheap, and the proceeds benefit the poor and needy. Except for the aspect of me being such a horrible, nasty consumer because I have more than six pairs of pants.

Q: How many poets does it take to change a light bulb? A: 1001...one to change the bulb, 1000 to say it's already been done.
#16 Old 11-01-2006, 11:25 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by skylark View Post

I buy more clothes than I literally need. So shoot me. I support my local non-profit thrift stores in the process, and garments I'm not wearing anymore go to them to resell, as well. The non-profit thrift stores' proceeds benefit the local social services like our chapter of Habitat for Humanity, battered women's shelters, Planned Parenthood (they don't do abortions in my county), church-affiliated international aid organizations and Goodwill's job services. Does it seem crazy to help needy people by buying things I don't literally need to keep me alive and warm? Maybe. I also buy things I do need there, like my winter coat. I suppose I could have salvaged the one I'd had for years, but the zipper broke and paint spilled on it, so I decided to donate it for anyone else who might find it useful, and I bought one I liked better for $10.

I buy costumes and costume-related items at the second-hand stores, too. I don't "need" them, but I enjoy Renaissance Faires, costume parties and the like. Again, kill me because I am a horrible person.

Would I do the same if I only had access to department stores and fancy boutiques? Heck no. I'm way more thrifty than that.

Do I buy what I consider to be "a lot" of items I don't technically need? No, but someone else might see it that way. I don't "need" the four old hardback books I bought to sit on my endtable to fit with the decor in my living room, but I thought an old Baptist songbook, Spanish Catholic mass book, and a collection of short stories from the early 20th Century would be a nice addition. I bought them for under $5 at a second-hand place that raises money to send relief to the far corners of the earth. Same with my stained-glass knick-nack collection that I buy a little bit here and there.

I guess everyone benefits from this arrangementlandfills don't fill up, people have a place to get rid of their still-usable unwanted items, others buy things on the cheap, and the proceeds benefit the poor and needy. Except for the aspect of me being such a horrible, nasty consumer because I have more than six pairs of pants.

Although the particulars of your situation are different, this is pretty much what my life is like as a consumer as well. I do like having an aesthetically pleasing wardrobe, but I buy almost everything used.
#17 Old 11-01-2006, 11:29 AM
Veggie Regular

Skylark, I wasn't talking about second hand stuff or things you buy that support a good cause. Those are all good things.

I was referring to the OP that said their friend went out and bought 6 new pairs of jeans so they could have the latest fashion for this fall.

Is this wrong? No. It is just excessive, and I think that is what the person was getting at.
#18 Old 11-01-2006, 11:41 AM

This reminds of me of my sociology class in high school and how we were always told that we were consumers, producers, ect. And then a few years ago ( I can't remember where I heard or read it) I read something where the person said that they're not a consumer, but a customer. And I really think there is a difference between those mentalities. I do buy things, but I don't mindlessly 'consume' them.
#19 Old 11-01-2006, 11:48 AM
Veggie Regular

Whenever I find jeans that fit well.. I go back and buy a bunch just in case I can't find them again.
#20 Old 11-01-2006, 11:55 AM
Veggie Regular

Meh mark me in with one of those who buys cloths according to fashion.

Not as if I am hitting the stores every season but I like to keep looking nice and up to date.
#21 Old 11-01-2006, 12:02 PM
Veggie Regular

Sometimes when I find a pair of jeans I like and I go to try them on they totally push their ethics and beliefs onto me.
#22 Old 11-01-2006, 12:04 PM
Veggie Regular

SO what happens if you buy leather pants?.
#23 Old 11-01-2006, 12:46 PM
Banned

I have a lot of clothes. Usually because I get too fat to wear the same ones, but I keep them for when I lose weight. Then I keep the bigger ones for when I gain weight. I tend to wear the same stuff over and over though. I have a million tank tops but I never wear them because I'm too self conscious.
#24 Old 11-01-2006, 12:51 PM
Veggie Regular

I wish I could wear shorts year round. I curse winter for not making that possible.
#25 Old 11-01-2006, 01:14 PM

I pretty much wear jeans year-round. Need to find some that aren't quite as baggy though. It makes my butt look like it is about a few inches lower than it really is.
#26 Old 11-01-2006, 01:15 PM
Veggie Regular

I buy stuff I don't need sometimes. So I'm a "consumer" I guess.
#27 Old 11-01-2006, 01:17 PM
Veggie Regular

I always have trouble finding jeans in the right length, and, I mean, could hemming your own jeans look any lamer?
#28 Old 11-01-2006, 01:23 PM
Banned

Try being short and wide.
#29 Old 11-01-2006, 01:29 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

I always have trouble finding jeans in the right length, and, I mean, could hemming your own jeans look any lamer?

Not if you do it right. If you are not very skilled at hemming, you could take them to a clothes alterer.

Q: How many poets does it take to change a light bulb? A: 1001...one to change the bulb, 1000 to say it's already been done.
#30 Old 11-01-2006, 01:33 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Better than wearing them to long

I'm short and have to hem all my pants

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page