another question (do you eat gelatin) - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

#1 Old 10-31-2006, 04:38 PM
Veggie Regular

Do none of you guys eat gelatin?

Im confused because I dont consider gelatin to be "meat". I understand gelatin isnt VEGAN, but why dont you eat it if you are just vegetarian and still consume/use other animal products?

Just wondering, Ive seen a lot of people around here who say they are vegetarian, not vegan, who dont consume gelatin. I know other vegetarians who dont worry about gelatin either, Im just wondering why you consider it a vegetarian thing not a vegan thing.

I dont eat much jello but I do still consume it in pills and stuff..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 10-31-2006, 04:44 PM
Veggie Regular

Gelatin is not vegetarian or vegan. Gelatin is made from bones, connective tissues, skin, and some other animal parts. Gelatin is nothing like diary or eggs in the sense that gelatin requires a completely dead animal.
#3 Old 10-31-2006, 04:46 PM
Veggie Regular

Oh I see. I guess some people define vegetarian differently. I realized it was "from an animal" I just didnt get why it was considered vegetarian. I think of it sort of like leather I suppose. A lot of vegetarians I know still wear leather, they just dont eat the meat of an animal. Thats how I would define it, not eating meat, not NOT eating anything that comes from an animal or requires it to be dead.

It is gross though, its just annoying trying to find the vegetarian type of capsules for some supplements.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 10-31-2006, 04:58 PM
Veggie Regular

When it comes to defining things differently, some people will eat fish and chicken and say they are vegetarian. But what you said is the basic definition.
#5 Old 10-31-2006, 05:00 PM
Veggie Regular

There is vegetable based geletin. But if they don't say the source, you won't know.
#6 Old 10-31-2006, 05:38 PM

I dont eat gelatin because its from a dead animal.

I ate it without realising it was an animal product and when I heard I was very disapointed in the confectionary industry. Also I spoke to a close friend of mine who is also vegetarian and he didnt know it was an animal product (and will also be cutting it out) so maybe your mates dont realise that it is.

Not everyone has VB
#7 Old 10-31-2006, 10:06 PM
Veggie Regular

I do eat gelatin in some products. It's a personal decision that I made because I do not believe the gelatin industry adds to the exploitation, suffering, or death of any animals.

ETA: However, I would never serve a vegetarian anything contain gelatin, just as I wouldn't serve a vegan anything containing honey, even though some vegans eat honey. Gelatin isn't vegetarian, even if some vegetarians eat it.
#8 Old 10-31-2006, 10:40 PM
Veggie Regular

for me personally, i mix an understanding of the animals, with my main interest to reduce suffering. I used to be focused more on perfection and idealism, but I'm now focused mostly on reducing suffering, and progressing more on the path of learning and helping.

so gelatin isn't a solid no-no for me, but it's also pretty easy to avoid it almost always. I probably haven't had any in a lot of years. Health and whole foods usually don't have anything 'odd' like gelatin anyway
#9 Old 10-31-2006, 10:42 PM
Banned

I don't.

If it's part of a dead animal, it doesn't seem vegetarian to me.
#10 Old 11-01-2006, 02:07 AM
Kiz
Veggie Regular

I don't eat gelatine. It is a product or by-product of a dead animal and I do not consume said products. I fail to see the difference between gelatine and steak. Same stuff, different presentation. Eating gelatine and saying it's vegetarian is no different than eating chicken nuggets and saying they are vegetarian because they don't look like chicken.

Love the post? Why not buy the T-shirt!
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=categorie&cat=8
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=product&info=94
#11 Old 11-01-2006, 02:14 AM
Veggie Regular

I do not eat gelatin. I look at gummy bears (or worms or whatever) and all I see are the bones of dead things.

And I know how those bones/sinews/other were collected.
#12 Old 11-01-2006, 02:29 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiz View Post

I don't eat gelatine. It is a product or by-product of a dead animal and I do not consume said products. I fail to see the difference between gelatine and steak. Same stuff, different presentation. Eating gelatine and saying it's vegetarian is no different than eating chicken nuggets and saying they are vegetarian because they don't look like chicken.

They both come from dead animals, that much is true... but that's about as far as the similarities go. The difference between eating gelatin and eating steak is really quite simple... animals are killed for steak, animals are not killed for gelatin. To compare steak or chicken nuggets to gelatin completely discounts market influences on animal suffering. Gelatin is a by-product of the meat industry, a product that would otherwise be thrown away or composted, so your not hurting the meat industry by avoiding gelatin. But as I said it was my own personal decision to not worry about gelatin, as I realize most vegetarians avoid the product since it is basically still the flesh of a dead animal.
#13 Old 11-01-2006, 02:47 AM
Kiz
Veggie Regular

I was speaking for myself, not vegetarians at large. My beliefs about the consumption of the dead are primarily spiritual and extend beyond the reason and method of the killing, even though that does play a large part. I do not eat roadkill. I would not accept a heart from a dead human.

Love the post? Why not buy the T-shirt!
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=categorie&cat=8
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=product&info=94
#14 Old 11-01-2006, 02:56 AM
Veggie Regular

Oh okay.
#15 Old 11-01-2006, 03:17 AM

wrt Gummy Bears (hey, I grew up in the 80s too), there are some vegan versions. The bad news is, I tried several kinds and never got that chewy Haribo style taste. Until, that is, I came to the land of vegan goodness and found these: http://www.goodnessdirect.co.uk/cgi-...il/327784.html

Unlike the ones I've found in the States, they are pretty firm, and they are not coated with sugar on the outside (blech).

wrt original post. I've noticed on these boards, in the past, that many folks seem to say that gelatin was part of their transition during vegetarianism/veganism. My own story fits into this category. I started out not eating meat (at first just red meat). Eventually, I learned what gelatin was and cut that out too. Cheese made with animal rennet came next. I think in the US, vegetarianism just generally means "doesn't eat meat" (or meat stock), but to me, if I was still eating part of a dead animal, it was the same.

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol
#16 Old 11-01-2006, 08:17 AM
Veggie Regular

I avoid gelatin in food. I would not sit down to a bowl of Jello. However, in medication I just don't worry about it. Dang lot of good for animals I'll be if I die from something stupid to avoid the gelatin in pills. (Even gelatin free pills were inevitable tested on animals, which isn't so veg-friendly either)

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
#17 Old 11-01-2006, 08:20 AM
Veggie Regular

Bacon is a by-product of the pork chop industry, so eat up kids!
#18 Old 11-01-2006, 08:25 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by nat*star View Post

Not everyone has VB

Oh my gosh... If we ever get an advertising campaign going on TV, remember that slogan.
#19 Old 11-01-2006, 08:26 AM

I try to avoid eating Gelatin. I know that I have probably eaten it unknowingly in something, but I do try my best to not intentionally eat it.
#20 Old 11-01-2006, 08:27 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeezycreezy View Post

Bacon is a by-product of the pork chop industry, so eat up kids!

I was trying to think of a way to put that, but you did it waaay better.

Its still part of a dead animal, by product or not!

If pills or something have gelatine in, i pester the pharmacist. Ive never had gelatiney ones for anything important so if its something generic like painkillers theres bouuuund to be tons of non-gelatine ones. That said, I dont get why in health food shops you have to look for specific vegetarian capsules for loads more money - surely that should be standard? (then again they sell shark cartlidge etc, mmmmm)

Im suprised so many people replying dont mind gelatine. i hate the word and swear its spelt with an e? is gelatin an american thing?
#21 Old 11-01-2006, 08:54 AM
Veggie Regular

Nope, I don't eat it cos it comes from dead things. And it's a pretty gross thing to eat if you think about what it is. I think when I first became vegetarian I didn't worry about it too much, like if someone offered me a sweet I'd eat it anyway even if I thought they might have gelatine in them, but after a while I just didn't want to eat it any more, so didn't.

I think gelatine is the UK spelling and gelatin is US, but they're the same thing.
#22 Old 11-01-2006, 11:34 AM
Veggie Regular

I do not eat gelatin but then again I do not eat anything that comes froma dead animal.

I know there are vegen gelatins out there made from plants but I have not ever seen them in my local markets.

It is easier just to avoid them compleatly.

Besides only thing I miss are marshmellows and oh well I guess I will just miss them
#23 Old 11-01-2006, 11:43 AM
Veggie Regular

I haven't gone out of my to avoid it but I haven't been eating it on purpose either. I like marshmallows as much as the next guy but not so much that they're hard to resist.

I noticed that my liquid hand soap from Bath & Body Works contains gelatin. then it says on the label that it wasn't tested on animals
#24 Old 11-01-2006, 11:48 AM
Veggie Regular

http://www.veganessentials.com/catal...rshmallows.htm

I don't eat anything with gelatin for the same reasons others have said. It may be a meat by-product and animals weren't killed expressly for it, but someone is still making lots of money from it, so if we don't buy it that's one more blow to the meat industry.
#25 Old 11-01-2006, 11:57 AM
Veggie Regular

You said, "I do not believe the gelatin industry adds to the exploitation, suffering, or death of any animals."

So, how do you obtain the hoofs of animals to make gelatin without hurting the animal????
#26 Old 11-01-2006, 11:59 AM
Veggie Regular

I like tapioca pudding!
#27 Old 11-01-2006, 12:01 PM
Veggie Regular

I started avoiding gelatin even before I became vegetarian, the second I learned what it was made from. It's just gross.
#28 Old 11-01-2006, 12:07 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by codemonkey View Post

I noticed that my liquid hand soap from Bath & Body Works contains gelatin. then it says on the label that it wasn't tested on animals

meat could be labeled 'not tested on animals' also then

that reminds me of products tested on animals, and labeled "cruelty free"

..buyer beware. psst, check out dr. bronners soaps. no animal ingreds and not tested on animals, and they're not a public (stock market) company. it's really good strong soap, but can be too strong if you use it more than a few times a day. no gelatin either :b
#29 Old 11-01-2006, 12:11 PM
Veggie Regular

Starseed: What would a person's reasoning for avoiding specifically meat (the muscle of an animal), but not other animal parts be?

I suppose I can see this possibility for health vegetarians who are mostly avoiding the saturated fat of the animal, but don't have a problem with animal protein for example. This does not fit the technical definition of vegetarian, where no animal is eaten.

If one is coming at it from the ethical perspective, then you would generally try to avoid killing the animal. Gelatin and leather would be eliminated. (Yes, this perspective eventually leads to veganism. I am acknowledging this here, so that the thread won't get derailed. Thanks.)
#30 Old 11-01-2006, 12:24 PM
Veggie Regular

People don't kill pigs for the ears - so the ears are a byproduct. But you would never call pig ears vegetarian food. Why on earth would gelatin be a vegetarian food? Anything made from dead animals in not vegetarian.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page