another question (do you eat gelatin) - Page 5 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

#121 Old 11-04-2006, 02:44 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate Ferret View Post

small stuff? its quite easy to avoid! dont eat gummy sweets or jelly without reading the label!

Why does it bother you so much if some of us still want to consume it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#122 Old 11-04-2006, 03:27 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by starseed13 View Post

Probably something silly like animals or something lol, I mean what is important is ourselves right?

But if someone wears cow skin and supports veal, I suppose eating cow bones isn't much worse.
#123 Old 11-04-2006, 03:33 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

I dont really see how we could define if its "ok" or not to wear leather. Each person has their individual opinion and can do what they feel right about.

What about what the animals feel right about?

Oh thats right, their opinions don't matter.

"Hey Mr. Cow, can I wear your fur? I don't need it, I just think well, it looks cool lolo!L!O!l1!111oneoneeleven"

"moo-ooooo... [sigh]"

Actually, you make such a good point, I'm going to start wearing puppy-skin shoes, and a kitten-fur pea coat, because ethics are relative, and kitten fur is so-ooo soft.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#124 Old 11-04-2006, 04:17 PM
Kiz
Veggie Regular

Quote:

It's not a huge issue for me, it's only a "bother" in the terms of a discussion like this or the multiple times people insist that "oh no, you're wrong. Vegetarians eat gelatine. I know so, XXX eats it all the time.". Not something I'd whinge about on a day-to-day basis but if the subject comes somewhere like VB.

Love the post? Why not buy the T-shirt!
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=categorie&cat=8
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=product&info=94
#125 Old 11-04-2006, 04:40 PM
Veggie Regular

*sigh* I just feel that attitude is kinda rude towards those of us who arent on the same level of vegetarianism/veganism as you. (like me). I mean according to your logic I should just say f*ck the whole deal and start eating meat again..thats how its coming across anyway.

You seem to be saying if you dont go ALL the way with it, whats the point at all? I dont think thats right about it kinda makes me mad, its what makes a lot of people say vegetarians carry themselves as "above" other people. Since Ive been coming around these boards some of you really have given off that vibe, almost like saying eating gelatin makes me a bad person or something. Not cool.

edit- that was meant for the post above yours kiz. Im not saying anyone is wrong to NOT eat gelatin, its those of us who do who are being attacked, not the other way around.
#126 Old 11-04-2006, 04:42 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Wonder View Post

Hot Damn! I was looking for a new sugar momma. Now only if there weren't so much man boob in your avatar.

~Wonder

:imitates her niece, grabs her chest and says in a little sissy voice: "Boobies! TEEHEE!"
#127 Old 11-04-2006, 04:46 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by troub View Post

OH MY! HOW I WISH I COULD BE AS PERFECT AS YOU!!!

Please. Get off your high and mighty pedestal. And dont you dare try to imply I dont care about animals.

I came to these forums looking for people who I could talk with openly about animals and vegetarianism, and I cant believe some of the snobs that roam around this place. Its sad, because this is the kinda thing that makes anyone who cares about animals and doesnt want to eat them look bad in the eyes of a lot of people. Its this exact high and mighty, Im so much more vegan than you attitude. You are not better than me because I consume small amounts of gelatin. Get real.

You also need to realize that not every vegetarian is an animal rights activist and is not consuming meat with the purpose of trying to hurt the meat industry. Plenty of people do it for health reasons, and consuming tiny amounts of gelatin isnt going to harm ones health. This is a vegetarian board, not an animal rights activist board. There is a specific section for that I believe.

I also believe I personally already stated I was going to start avoiding gelatin for the most part and when I say im not going to stress on small amounts, I get attacked? Nice.
#128 Old 11-04-2006, 05:04 PM
Veggie Regular

Speaking of small amounts of animal gelatin mixed into foods, I think there's a long list of other stuff that 's from animals and would be the equilivent. Going by a vegan ingrediants list I looked at.
#129 Old 11-04-2006, 06:23 PM
Veggie Regular

Starseed: As far as what you should do, every one of us will tell you something different, and the descision is yours to make.

Would I personally consider you a vegetarian? Yes. Should that matter? No. I am but one of 6 billion people on a ball hurling through space.

A totally separate issue comes along when you ask if vegetarians eat gelatin, and that is "Can I label something vegetarian if it contains gelatin." My position would be that one should not since it does contain the product of an animal's death. What addresses that issue much better though, is having ingredients lists available for foods -- not that you just buy from the store, but even at restaurants. It sounds like a huge hassle at first, but it's something we've acclimated to at super markets and could acclimate to elsewhere.

Don't get yourself emotionally strung out here. Relax and join us. Congratulations on starting your vegetarian journey.
#130 Old 11-04-2006, 06:49 PM
Veggie Regular

post retracted.
#131 Old 11-04-2006, 11:01 PM
Veggie Regular

starseed, you'll find that the vast majority of the vegans (and vegetarians) here on this board are very supportive and helpful and not judgmental or rude to other people like that. You'll save yourself a lot of troub le if you ignore the posts of the people who get off on being judgmental and putting down others.
#132 Old 11-04-2006, 11:14 PM
Banned

Quote:

"Hey Mr. Cow, can I wear your fur? I don't need it, I just think well, it looks cool lolo!L!O!l1!111oneoneeleven"

That doesn't sound fair, does it?

You see, I've never seen a generation that was so obsessed with this idea that everything has to be "fair". Where did you kids get that idea anyway? You spend all day cyberfarting around on the internet, then you eat a couple pieces of tofurkey and then you come back online to tell us that we aren't being fair. So the way we treat animals isn't fair. If you don't do it, then it must not be fair.

OK. Let me tell you little squirrels something. I'm not even gonna charge you for this sage advice. My diminutive friends, the fair is something that comes once a year, in October. It's at a nice little place called the fairgrounds, where you walk around chomping on those big ole' turkey legs, with the grease dripping down your T-shirt, then you rinse that sucker down with a few funnell cakes and a large diet coke. Then you go to the Midway and hand a few bucks to the carney's and ride some rides. And you try to throw some of those rings around the pop bottles and win a teddy bear for that cute little momma that you're dating. And after that's over, you go to the Industrial Arts barn and gawk at the cajones on the states biggest heffer. That, my friends, is the fair.

Y'all missed the frickin' fair. Now get over it!
#133 Old 11-04-2006, 11:16 PM

^
#134 Old 11-04-2006, 11:53 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpickell View Post

You'll save yourself a lot of troub le

i c wat u did thar

It's troubadour btw thanks. Although I can see how one can make the mistake.
#135 Old 11-05-2006, 12:02 AM
Kiz
Veggie Regular

Aww... I thought it was a cute play on words. Seriously though troub, while I tend to agree with some of what you say I do see that sometimes you method of delivery can be off-putting. I'm speaking for experience here - I've done the foot-in-the-mouth thing more than enough to know it doesn't work.

As the saying goes, one catches more flies with maple syrup than with vinegar.

#136 Old 11-05-2006, 12:07 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by remilard View Post

Y'all missed the frickin' fair. Now get over it!

Fair what?

Hi Mr. Straw Man!

Nice to meet you!

Now someone toss a red herring into a poison well and we'll have a party!

Oh I know, let me:

"Troub your a meany head. Why do you always have to be so rude and mean and and and rude all the time? Lets talk about the rudeness of troub and tactics of veganism for the next twenty posts!"

edit: too late, lawl.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abovepost View Post

you method of delivery can be off-putting ... one catches more flies with maple syrup than with vinegar."

#137 Old 11-05-2006, 12:13 AM
Kiz
Veggie Regular

*rolls her eyes*

And deliberately insulting prospective vegetarians and putting them off the whole idea promotes your cause just how?

(Post #2 talking about troub's rudeness)

#138 Old 11-05-2006, 12:29 AM
Veggie Regular

Starseed you said you were worried about gelatin and lard in your beans, candy, sour cream and possibly medication.

Some Mexican restaurants do still use the lard (as you know) in the pinto or refried beans, but keep the black beans veggie-friendly. (no idea why) You may still be able to get refried beans that are vegetarian, just ask your waitstaff. Yes, Taco Bell's beans are vegetarian.

There is a list of vegan candies Here.

Get yourself in the habit of reading the ingredient label of products you buy. You can also shop at "safe" online stores like veganessentials.com , Vegangoods.com, veganstore.com, etc..

I've also heard good reviews on Rice-Mellow for those who miss marshmellow Smores.

Sour cream - others have already pointed you in the right direction to Tofutti Better Than Sour Cream or dairy companies like Stoney Brook Farms or Breakstone who do not use gelatin.

Veg*n vitamins can be purchased at Freeda Vitamins , vegetarian vitamin, vegan unlimited, Veg Life, etc...

To answer the original question: No, I don't consume gelatin. I will admit that as a vegetarian I didn't know what it was or realize that I was eating it in my yogurt. Once I found out what it was - I absolutely was sickened and cut it out. Now I have been vegan for a year and feel so much better physically, mentally and emotionally. You'd be surprised what the FDA says is okay to put in your food. Even if I wasn't vegan, I would be somewhat of a product purist... reading labels and only eating / using products that contain ingredients that I know and feel comfortable putting into my body.

Don't take disagreements on VB personally. If everyone agreed, then no one would learn anything new. Make sense. I learned so much from this board arguing, debating and becoming friends with people here. I love VB.
#139 Old 11-05-2006, 12:29 AM
Veggie Regular

wooo 18 more off topic posts to go on how rude troub's bluntness is and how its a) not befitting a christian; b) doesnt promote veganism; c) is just plain mean! d) makes people start eating steak again

come on people! kpickle and veggiejanie this is your time to shine!

feel free to make stuff up to! with words like: "deliberately insult"; "personal attack"; "stuck up"; "pushing your values and ethics on to me"; etc

and don't forget to use the word "vegan police" and or "extremist"/"TERRORIST!!" at least once for effect.

hurry and post them now before the thread gets back on topic in about 2 pages and someone will have to throw out yet another ad hominem.
#140 Old 11-05-2006, 12:35 AM

no. I don't eat gelatin. I read labels to make sure it isn't in my food. I also don't eat mono and diglycerides either. If it says from a vegetable source then it is fine.
#141 Old 11-05-2006, 12:37 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by veggienurse View Post

no. I don't eat gelatin. I read labels to make sure it isn't in my food. I also don't eat mono and diglycerides either. If it says from a vegetable source then it is fine.

I was reading troub's last post and thinking about prozac and there's your avatar!
#142 Old 11-05-2006, 12:40 AM
Kiz
Veggie Regular

Quote:

wooo 18 more off topic posts to go on how rude troub's bluntness is and how its a) not befitting a christian; b) doesnt promote veganism; c) is just plain mean! d) makes people start eating steak again

come on people! kpickle and veggiejanie this is your time to shine!

feel free to make stuff up to! with words like: "deliberately insult"; "personal attack"; "stuck up"; "pushing your values and ethics on to me"; etc

and don't forget to use the word "vegan police" and or "extremist"/"TERRORIST!!" at least once for effect.

"Rude troub's blunt post where he deliberately insulted me by leaving my name off is nothing more than a personal attack. I can't help it if I'm not a stuck-up, extremist/TERRORIST who doesn't promote veganism. I know I am just plain mean for not pushing my values and ethics on to everyone but not everyone can be a member of the vegan police, no matter how much they try. *sigh* I know it's not befitting of a Christian but this kind of post makes me want to go and make people start eating steak again."

There. Better? Seriously troub I was just passing on a hard-earned lesson. I've been there and done that and it just didn't work as I'm sure you'll eventually learn for yourself.

#143 Old 11-05-2006, 01:13 AM
Veggie Regular

I think this thread has had enough.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page