For Compost Heap Browsers: Why do you avoid posting in the Compost Heap... - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 07-29-2003, 04:56 PM
Veggie Regular

Thats what I want to know...

I see a lot of people browsing.....

and sometimes very few or no posts by some of you....

so, why do you avoid posting in the Compost Heap??

I, for one, love conversational debate amongst my friends. However, I do not always throw my hat in the ring here. Why?

Honestly I am afraid I will get so into a thread that I won't leave my desk. Ill get tooooooo into the Compost Heap and never get out....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-29-2003, 04:59 PM
Veggie Regular

It's *really* easy to get involved in a thread here. Some are really like a big magnet that suck you in.

Some threads I just browse cause I do not want to get into a big time-waster scenario... others I have no problem in becoming more vocal, especially if it's a topic in which I am very interested.
#3 Old 07-29-2003, 05:13 PM
Veggie Regular

i like the heap....i don't post in in all that much. but if something catches my attention i'm in for a FRIENDLY debate. my husbans says i love to argue and at least here i'm not arguing with his omni a$$
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 07-29-2003, 05:49 PM
Veggie Regular

"if you can't stand the heat, then stay out of the kitchen" - yeah, i'm not too terribly fond of message board arguements or debates, mostly because often i'm either not very good at arguing my point, or i get too worked up about and i can do without any excess stress in my life, thanks. Besides, I come to veggieboards to have fun, not pick fights!
#5 Old 07-29-2003, 06:12 PM
Veggie Regular

I echo what OZ said: I'm here for enjoyment, not to argue with anyone. My job is quite stressful, and one of the aspects involves dealing with conflict on a regular basis with students and parents. I have no desire to be in the middle of something here (although, maybe the right topic hasn't come up yet to motivate me to argue). I've posted here a couple of times, but this is one area I'm not particularly interested in participating in. I do peruse it, though, and it's interesting to see various individuals' opinions.
#6 Old 07-29-2003, 07:39 PM
Veggie Regular

There aren't too many things I find worthwhile to argue really. I'm always interested to read other peoples opinions on things though, so occassionally I'll skim the compost heap.
#7 Old 07-29-2003, 07:58 PM
Veggie Regular

i browse a lot and rarely post on any of it--not much to say i suppose!! and i hardly think my right to browse and not post is issue to debate!!!
#8 Old 07-29-2003, 08:00 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by Robert

It's *really* easy to get involved in a thread here. Some are really like a big magnet that suck you in.

Some threads I just browse cause I do not want to get into a big time-waster scenario... others I have no problem in becoming more vocal, especially if it's a topic in which I am very interested.

Wow, something we both agree on, Robert

I have been staying away bc it can actually cause me quite a bit of stress and consume a lot of my time. But it can be fun once in a while.
#9 Old 07-29-2003, 08:14 PM

Unless I'm feeling in a particularly s*** disturbing mood, I don't particularly care to argue--it's too much like what I do to earn a living. As a result, there are periods when I don't visit the Heap at all, and when I do, I try to explain my point of view and move on, rather than getting sucked into a debate which generally isn't going to change anybody's point of view. I really can NOT stand it when people resort to rudeness or personal attacks. It achieves absolutely nothing, only speaks volumes about the person doing it. At one point, on VW, I did that to cat, and after taking a long cooling down period, I was extremely ashamed and apologized to her. The only good thing to come out of my atrocious behavior is that I came to recognize cat's integrity, and she and I became friends.

As I said in the other thread, I LIKE all of our resident omnis, and they have not the slightest impact on whether I post in the Heap or not.
#10 Old 07-29-2003, 09:10 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by Thalia

Wow, something we both agree on, Robert

Hehe, you keep posting that now and then

Quote:
Originally posted by Mouse

I really can NOT stand it when people resort to rudeness or personal attacks.

In most cases I would agree with this statement. However, sometimes enough-is-enough and such posts are more than warranted with certain people around here, former and current. I have absolutely no issue with those who engage in it when the recipient is very deserved of such a response.
#11 Old 07-29-2003, 10:24 PM
Veggie Regular

I really like reading here, but it gets too hot for me too. I'm just not the scrapper type (and I get my feelings hurt too easy )
#12 Old 07-29-2003, 11:08 PM
Veggie Regular

What? Who avoids posting in the Compost Heap? *blinks innocently*

I like to argue when I'm in the mood, but often I take things way too personally, and these debates become an unnecessary source of stress. I lurk here in case there's a topic I want to post in, but most of the time you'll find me in SFPII.
#13 Old 07-29-2003, 11:24 PM
Veggie Regular

I don't *avoid* posting, I just rarely have anything intelligent to say, or can't put thoughts into words
#14 Old 07-30-2003, 03:09 AM
Veggie Regular

Yeah, I can never think of anything to say, personally. HUGE
#15 Old 07-30-2003, 04:01 AM
Veggie Regular

I don't post because too many of the threads either say what I wanted to say anyway or they become repetitive in the responses. Than again there are those threads where the argument is simply being done so well that I can't add anything. The latter type is rare.
#16 Old 07-30-2003, 04:33 AM

I read here all the time.. I dont post though because I never seem to know enough about the topics... and I suck at writing things so they never make sense...

Danny
#17 Old 07-30-2003, 07:43 AM
Veggie Regular

I do post occassionally, but I mostly just observe. I'm worried that I'll be jumped on, as I've seen happen to others. I don't need that sh!#.
#18 Old 07-30-2003, 10:28 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
At one point, on VW, I did that to cat, and after taking a long cooling down period, I was extremely ashamed and apologized to her. The only good thing to come out of my atrocious behavior is that I came to recognize cat's integrity, and she and I became friends.

And probably one of my most favorite people here, is YOU.

I try not to miss the opportunity to read your posts, because, often they cause me to pause and think, and see either a similar perspective or an entirely different one...

Also, I recognize that the world is a better place because of its diversity, despite our differences....

The integrity, tolerance and temperance, that mouse seems to display is exemplary, IMHO

That which doesn't kill you, often makes you stronger....
#19 Old 07-30-2003, 10:57 AM
Banned

It's been a while since I posted... I have a couple of problems. First, it's hard enough to bridge the gap between two different viewpoints in normal face-to-face discourse. The loss of non-verbal inflictions, cues, and interpretation makes it even harder. Then, most people aren't interested in actual debate. Again, this is universal, not confined to this board or message boards en masse. People are more concerned with flexing what they perceive to be an intellectual, moral, or generally-superior standpoint, and thus argue past each other, not concerned with interpreting and understanding the other viewpoints. It's just a matter of looking for an element of someone else's argument to latch onto and often tangent from, just to get their voice heard (albeit mostly just by themselves, but that's okay, we are our own favorite audience afterall).

I have had a huge problem with another issue IRL, and it surfaces here, too. Someone I worked with, an informed but altogether somewhat dim older fella, asked me once why I'm so hung up on what words mean, and what he meant by using a certain word. I explained to him how vague and interpretive the English language is and that if we want to say anything meaningful we have to be clear in our choice of words and be ready to clarify. I don't know what you mean when you say something like "almost everyone likes vanilla ice cream" -- unless you are only concerned with making a very weak and malleable statement which I can twist and turn all I want, then that statement is uninteresting. Of course, a statement about ice cream CAN be uninteresting, but our statements about politics, war, and animal rights should not be.

I've asked for elaborations and clarifications on a number of topics from specific members and have been disappointed if not denied. Perhaps the person didn't want to continue debating - perhaps they are reconsidering their position. I have done that on a few occasions, myself. But it seems to me that many people, - here and elsewhere - are too inflexible, and that is a terrible thing to be and can only lead one to a career in professional politics.

Lastly, about the "stay out of the kitchen" thing - I agree. However, I'll add this: If you're cooking in the microwave, don't expect your food to meet acceptance from those with better culinary skills.
#20 Old 07-30-2003, 10:59 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by mouse

At one point, on VW, I did that to cat, and after taking a long cooling down period, I was extremely ashamed and apologized to her. The only good thing to come out of my atrocious behavior is that I came to recognize cat's integrity, and she and I became friends.

Catmorrison is a woman???

I feel so embarassed. I didn't know.
#21 Old 07-30-2003, 11:10 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Catmorrison is a woman???

I feel so embarassed. I didn't know

It's ok, I get that same reaction, sometimes...

HEY should I take that as a compliment

or a slam????

Really though, the cat is just short for Cathy
#22 Old 07-30-2003, 11:19 AM
Veggie Regular

I'm constantly having to define and defend what I think/feel/believe IRL, I don't want to have to do it here. This is where I come NOT to argue. It would be different if it was all friendly discussion, but more often than not, it's an argument. People seem to wait for the slightest comment to jump on and often pick it to pieces forming it into something other than what it was originally meant to be. Sometimes it seems all some people want to do is just prove how much more intelligent they (think they) are, it doesn't seem to have much to do with learning other points of view. People get worked up and take things personally. It's stress that I don't need. So I bite my tongue and don't bother.
#23 Old 07-30-2003, 02:55 PM
Veggie Regular

I browse every few days or so, to see if I can actually add something to a debate. But, If I can't there is no sense in beating a dead horse, right? Sometimes, I feel that my thoughts have already been said, and to continue to say them is just useless and a waste of time. Plus, I find there are a lot of circular arguments on here w/ people that will NEVER change their point of view, so what's the use in arguing about it. Also, as some others have said, I don't like to be attacked...my feelings get hurt easily, and then I freeze up and don't know what to say. I'm a more passive person...Although, my bf says I LOVE to argue and debate...but only w/ people I know well. This happened in the capital punishment thread...and I just stopped posting. I do still read it, but I don't want to have my character criticized simply b/c I have a different opinion than someone else.

There, that's why I rarely post.
#24 Old 07-31-2003, 02:32 AM
Veggie Regular

I don't get challenged well enough in IRL, nor do I get the opportunity to fully express my position IRL, either, so the CH often allows that, and I find it incredibly instructive and constructive oftentimes.
#25 Old 07-31-2003, 07:42 AM
Veggie Regular

I post sometimes, but too often I'll feel like throwing my computer out the window. I don't really want to get angry with anyone on here, so I try to stay away, unless something really catches my attention and I can't keep my opinion to myself.
#26 Old 07-31-2003, 07:49 AM
Veggie Regular

Thank you for telling me it´s dangerous to post in the compost heap. I like danger. I´ll try to post more often.

If I'm not answering quickly enough - leave a note on Twitter for @Rheumatologe
#27 Old 07-31-2003, 03:31 PM
Veggie Regular

Hmm, I might like it here, since I have a silly (and maybe selfish) liking for arguing about animal rights and veganism/vegetarianism. The arguments against animal rights ethics fail so obviously, that I enjoy pointing out their (the arguments') deficiencies.

"and I stand

upon a mountain

made of weak and useless men"

#28 Old 07-31-2003, 03:50 PM
Veggie Regular

i dont post here,in fact its the first time ive clicked on the heap. i debate emotionally and especially on issues of war and my country. i defend my friends and hit below the belt.....this is no place for budda...i learned my lesson on vegweb all to well....bye, back to my happy place
#29 Old 07-31-2003, 04:18 PM
Beginner

i always browse this forum when i come to vb, but i only really post if i have something to say. a lot of times there's a discussion i'm reading and i don't really have anything to add.
#30 Old 07-31-2003, 05:10 PM
Banned

Wait a minute...almost 2 full pages and no one has singled me out personally? I must be off my game lately.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page