Kobe, Millions, SAD SAD Waste - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 07-25-2003, 03:49 PM
Veggie Regular

Here's one for you:

Sitting in a bar last night, TV on, someone said: "Wow, Kobe bought his girlfriend a ring that cost 4 million dollars." I just had it out of my friend's mouth; didn't see it myself. (Apologies if inaccurate.)

But I just went off. Erm, lost it. Four million dollars? We're talking about a tiny bit of metal with a (pretty) rock stuck in it, right???

SunnyK's reaction: That's more meaningful to you than funding a soup kitchen for (many) years?!? That's better than sending 50 non-advantaged kids to Harvard? Your woman is seriously going to like that better than a $100 ring and a card that says: "I've endowed a scholarship in your name"?

ZERO respect for these people. And BTW if that's really the kinda thing that they're into, then they are no happier than the rest of us poor people, for sure.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-25-2003, 03:52 PM
Veggie Regular

I can't even imagine what a 4 million dollar ring would look like.
#3 Old 07-25-2003, 03:53 PM
Banned

The ring dealer is happy. Probably going to send his kids to school, keep his store operating, etc.

Kobe does a lot of good with his money. And hey, nothing says "I am sorry for being brought up on sexual assault charges because I had an affair with a 19-year-old" better than a $4million piece of bling-bling.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 07-25-2003, 03:53 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by bethanie

I can't even imagine what a 4 million dollar ring would look like.

A lot like a $400 ring...just bigger.
#5 Old 07-25-2003, 03:59 PM
Veggie Regular

" And hey, nothing says "I am sorry for being brought up on sexual assault charges because I had an affair with a 19-year-old" better than a $4million piece of bling-bling."

Good point!
#6 Old 07-25-2003, 04:02 PM
Veggie Regular

I think fifty college scholarships would say it better than a chunk of rock. Just me, maybe.
#7 Old 07-25-2003, 04:05 PM

Affleck gave J. Lo a 1.4 million dollar pink diamond engagement ring. Wow..I can't even begin to wrap my mind around what it feels like to have 1.4 million hanging off of your body let alone a piece worth 4x's that.
#8 Old 07-25-2003, 04:05 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Tame

A lot like a $400 ring...just bigger.

One of those hardcandy rings costs $4mil????
#9 Old 07-25-2003, 04:07 PM
Veggie Regular

Karma, anyone? Buy the concept literally or not ... Seriously, knowing you have the POWER to really impact some children's lives for the better ... and you buy a rock instead?????

SunnyK will never understand this.

It's just a pretty rock. I've probably seen geodes that were a heck of a lot more interesting.
#10 Old 07-25-2003, 04:09 PM
Veggie Regular

The new rich all buy the same things...fancy cars, big homes and expensive jewelry. How very unimaginative of them.
#11 Old 07-25-2003, 04:11 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by MsRuthieB

Affleck gave J. Lo a 1.4 million dollar pink diamond engagement ring. Wow..I can't even begin to wrap my mind around what it feels like to have 1.4 million hanging off of your body let alone a piece worth 4x's that.

I think I would feel exactly the same as if I had a $20 turquoise.

IT IS A ROCK!! A pretty rock, yes, but it's still just a rock. I've seen 1,000 sunsets that were more beautiful; I've picked up dozens of seashells that moved me more.
#12 Old 07-25-2003, 04:20 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Kobe does a lot of good with his money.

Well, we got into this coversation last night. But that is STILL 4 million spent on something dumb, dumb, dumb.

I'm certainly not above selfish desires ... no way! But say I have a mansion with an enormous pool. Maybe it's right, maybe it's wrong ... but at least if I invite all my friends to stay in my mansion and swim in my pool then I've done something of SOME social value. Not better than feeding the needy, no way. But some minute contribution to human happiness.

But if a piece of ROCK makes you "happy," then you're off the scale as far as stupidity is concerned. (*SunnyK gets vicious*) Sorry, but I think so. I don't care how much good you do with your money; wasting that much of it on such a pointless object is an insult to human beings everywhere.
#13 Old 07-25-2003, 04:36 PM
Veggie Regular

I am almost sorry for these people. If someone thinks that a big chunk of clear/whitish/reflective stone is going to make any substantive contribution to their happiness and well-being, all I can say is, "Sorry, buddy, but I think you're on the wrooooooong path."
#14 Old 07-25-2003, 04:43 PM
Veggie Regular

I have to ask why do people even care what he does with money? It's his money. Who is he responsible for other than himself and his family? I take the stance that its his money and he is entitled to do with it however he pleases.
#15 Old 07-25-2003, 04:53 PM
Veggie Regular

Well, sure!!!

And I am entitled to disapprove. He is entitled to eat steak, and I am entitled to think it'd be preferable if he didn't. Right, wrong, whatever; I am as entitled to my opinions as he is to his money.

BTW, as regards your comment "What is he responsible for other than himself and his family?" NOTHING. But I'm just trying to imagine myself in that position, all this money spread before me, and someone says: Pick, 50 kids or a hunk o' diamond?

It is an interesting question for us all , even if you give him a pass for his particular choice.
#16 Old 07-25-2003, 04:56 PM
Veggie Regular

The mere fact of having that amount of money (read "power") puts you in the position of making that decision.
#17 Old 07-25-2003, 04:59 PM
Veggie Regular

I'll pick the diamond.
#18 Old 07-25-2003, 05:00 PM
Banned

I think somebody has been sippin' on Hater-ade!
#19 Old 07-25-2003, 05:00 PM
Veggie Regular

SunnyK.. absolutely you are entitled to disapprove. I was not singling you out, just asking generally why people seem to criticize a lot of people who have money, anytime it is shown they have bought something extravagant. Not just Kobe... but you hear about all sorts of celebrities and their spending, million dollar weddings, etc. and it seems to become instant fodder for criticism.
#20 Old 07-25-2003, 05:23 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

I think somebody has been sippin' on Hater-ade!

Absolutely not, baby, I'm among the least hater-y (hater-ish, if you prefer -- or choose your own morpheme) people you'll ever meet on this board -- or elsewhere.

There may be a presumption that I'm jealous ... that, in reality, I really wish that I too could have a beautiful hunk o' rock like that.

Sincerely, no! I may wish for mansions and swimming pools, but not ROCKS!!! Frankly I think it's boring, common, and unimaginative to want a big-*ss diamond -- just like everyone else. An occasion for women to say, "Mine is bigger than yours." Yippee.

I really was going for the if-I-were-in-his-shoes angle. I don't think that's what I'd do. Now c'mon, sincere question, what would YOU (yes YOU) do? You have all that you want in terms of your home, your luxuries, and your childrens' future ... and this big ol' extra.....

A million-dollar wedding? Well, at least (like my mansion with pool,) a large group of people would have a good time. But do I have to give them Hollywood-style gift bags??
#21 Old 07-25-2003, 05:27 PM
Banned

"But if a piece of ROCK makes you "happy,"

It's about the same as putting $4 million in a savings account for them. It goes up in value with inflation, which a savings account doesn't quite do. So it's better than a savings account. You can think of it as money. Though real estate, in most areas, appreciates much more than precious stones and precious metals. Stones have the advantage of being something you can use as money anywhere in the civilized world -- and carry in your pocket.
#22 Old 07-25-2003, 05:31 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by sunnyk

I really was going for the if-I-were-in-his-shoes angle. I don't think that's what I'd do. Now c'mon, sincere question, what would YOU (yes YOU) do?

Hmmm, I think first and foremost... my parents would be set up for the rest of their lives. Beyond that I'd probably help improve the few local places here I am involved with for underprivileged kids. I'm not much for actual extravagance beyond a comfortable home in the woods and a reliable/comfortable vehicle.

I know for me... I'd never spend that amount on some sparkly trinket. Thankfully my SO feels the same way.
#23 Old 07-25-2003, 05:41 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by soilman

"But if a piece of ROCK makes you "happy,"

It's about the same as putting $4 million in a savings account for them.

Sure, but my theoretical question assumed that the children were taken care of (and then some). Assuming that you really had some EXTRA laying around ...

Vegetarian advertising?

Veggie businesses?

College scholarships?

A million, gazillion other efforts that would benefit those outside of your (already taken care of) family?
#24 Old 07-25-2003, 05:49 PM
Banned

sunnyk writes "but my theoretical question assumed that the children were taken care of..."

Oh well. I don't know who Kobe is, so I didn't make any assumptions.
#25 Old 07-25-2003, 06:18 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Kobe does a lot of good with his money. And hey, nothing says "I am sorry for being brought up on sexual assault charges because I had an affair with a 19-year-old" better than a $4million piece of bling-bling.

That's the first thing I thought, too. Glad I'm married to a woman who couldn't be any less of a materialist. I'd rather spend $2 million making a movie, $1 million keeping my company running for a couple of years or so, and $1 million on traveling the world and helping others. But, then, this isn't the lottery, at least not for us.

We can think whatever we want about how people spend their money, but ultimately it's their money, not the under-privileged. The only thing you can really do is avoid spending any money on products or services (entertainment/sports, too) provided by people who don't use the money you spend on them responsibly, maybe write them letters, I don't know.
#26 Old 07-25-2003, 06:34 PM
Veggie Regular

I would be scared to wear a ring worth 4 million dollars especially now that the whole country knows about it. Someone may cut off my finger. Plus and I am guessing here - it would probably be so huge that it would interfere with normal everyday activities.
#27 Old 07-25-2003, 07:16 PM
Veggie Regular

4 million? Holy crap...you could buy so much better stuff than a ring. You could buy 50 scholarships (holy crap is it really 80 000 dollars to go to school in the US?)...or you could buy like sixty 2004 Audi A8 Ls!!!

#28 Old 07-25-2003, 09:28 PM
Veggie Regular

LOL at Peebs. At least there's some funtionality to the cars....
#29 Old 07-25-2003, 09:45 PM
Veggie Regular

I've never understood the lure of big diamond rings, but to each their own. I don't really like diamonds (Hear that guys? ) I'd be happier with something that meant more to me, that I could use (Me, wear a $4 Million ring? I'd lose it. Literally.) But, to each their own. If I had that kind of money, I'd pay off debts (Family's, etc), donate to charities/organizations, and have glasses like Elton John.
#30 Old 07-25-2003, 09:54 PM
Banned

Most people who own $4 million diamond rings do not wear the ring to parties. They have a copy made, cost them about $300. They wear that, and keep the real diamond ring securely locked in a fire-proof, earthquake-resistant, flood-resistant safe. When the government is overthrown, stocks become worth nothing, and the new communist government seizes your land except for 1/2 an acre fair-share for everyone -- you can take the stone out of the ring, stick it up your butt, and when you get to your new country you can use one *******-sized little rock to buy land, food, etcetera. That's why sensible people own them. Carrying enough gold to buy land and food when you get to your new country, would hurt your behind. Enough silver -- you wouldn't be able to get it in at all.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page