Locks of Love - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 06-29-2006, 05:57 PM

Many people have PMed me asking for the scoop on Locks of Love, so I thought I would make a post here so that more of you can learn a little something about it. Here are the links that I've sent to those who have PMed me.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/...73&postcount=9

http://www.give.org/reports/care2_dyn.asp?733

http://www.network54.com/Forum/23523...ad/1143411952/ (Please scroll down to read Heidi W.'s words)

I hope this helps those of you wanting to learn more
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-30-2006, 09:51 AM
Banned

Nice thread, Leia!

My brother-in-law has donated to locks of love, and I've allowed my hair to grow very long for the first time in many years - and when I get it cut, I know where it'll go to! Thanks!
#3 Old 06-30-2006, 12:09 PM
Veggie Regular

Great thread!

I have donated twice in my life and if I ever let my hair grow that long again I will donate again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 06-30-2006, 07:42 PM
Veggie Regular

Um, guys, did you realise that Leia's post had links to why you shouldn't donate to Locks of Love? Not why you should?
#5 Old 06-30-2006, 07:55 PM

i was thinking the same thing...
#6 Old 06-30-2006, 09:31 PM
Veggie Regular

wait a second...there is a "long hair community"?

anyone else find this freaking hillarious
#7 Old 06-30-2006, 09:34 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyVT View Post

no. it's a good forum.
#8 Old 07-01-2006, 12:20 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

No more hilarious then some people might find a vegetarian forum.
#9 Old 07-01-2006, 12:27 AM

:d
#10 Old 07-01-2006, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowlee View Post

No more hilarious then some people might find a vegetarian forum.

I completely agree.
#11 Old 07-01-2006, 11:35 AM
Veggie Regular

At one point I had made the decision to grow my hair out and donate it to this charity. Since then, I had read some information that changed my mind. There are other charities you can donate to. When I decide to cut my hair, it will be going to a company approved by the Canadian Cancer Society (and hope that they are at least valid wig making companies). At least this is a donation I can make without worrying that my donation will be funding animal testing.
#12 Old 07-06-2006, 02:59 PM
Beginner

I am now very confused! I was considering making a hair donation to LOL. I have very long hair and can cut off 10 inches, and still have long hair. Is there any other organizations in the U.S. like LOL? Maybe I should do some research.
#13 Old 07-06-2006, 05:18 PM
Veggie Regular

I got my hair cut this past Sunday. The people at the hair cutting place asked if I wanted to send it to LOL. I said I would prefer to send it to another organization so now it's going to Wigs for Kids which I hope is a little better.
#14 Old 07-06-2006, 05:42 PM
Baby Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by misq17 View Post

I got my hair cut this past Sunday. The people at the hair cutting place asked if I wanted to send it to LOL. I said I would prefer to send it to another organization so now it's going to Wigs for Kids which I hope is a little better.

I've been thinking about chopping my hair and donating. I've also had people mention wig for kids to me. http://www.wigsforkids.org/
#15 Old 07-06-2006, 06:00 PM
Banned

Can anyone explain what makes Wigs for Kids better than locks of love? They have the same caveats in their FAQ. That is to say hair you donate to wigs for kids won't necessarily be used in a wig and it takes many donations to make a wig. Given that these are the primary complaints against locks of love wouldn't wigs for kids be a charity to avoid as well?

http://www.wigsforkids.org/Hair-Loss-in-Children/FAQ/
#16 Old 07-06-2006, 06:16 PM

I'm glad you are finding alternate places to donate your hair. It is a wonderful idea to give in any way you can to those who are less fortunate .
#17 Old 07-06-2006, 06:57 PM
Veggie Regular

I had never encountered the concept of donating your hair to make wigs for sick children until I visited the Long Hair Community. It's not something that seems to exist in Australia. The first time I read about it, I actually thought it was a bit odd. Personally, I would rather donate cash towards reasearch into treatment. Just my opinion.
#18 Old 07-07-2006, 07:40 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Another member of the "Long Hair Community"!!! They have alot of good info. on hair care in general, whether your trying to grow it out or if you've recently had a horrendous experience getting a hair cut.

The people on that site are awesome and I've gotten some really good tips on what types of hair products to buy as well!

Michelle
#19 Old 07-07-2006, 09:05 AM
Veggie Regular

Not really. It takes effort to grow nice long hair so I assume it's full of hair care tips.
#20 Old 07-07-2006, 02:14 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinga View Post

I've been thinking about chopping my hair and donating. I've also had people mention wig for kids to me. http://www.wigsforkids.org/

I went to wigs for kids website, looking for an alternative to LOL. On wigs for kids website there are the same concern as LOL. Also, I noticed that they want "a donation of at least $1 with each ponytail to help offset the cost of administration, processing, and production." Isn't the hair donation enough? If I am going to cutt my hair, and go to the trouble of sending it to Wigs for Kids, why are they asking for a cash donation too? I work for a non-profit organization, and I know it can be difficult to get people to make donations, so if someone is willing to give a donation, why make it more difficult? Just be thankful of the donation. I think I am just going to keep my long hair, and just put it up for the rest of the summer.
#21 Old 07-07-2006, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahjayn1980 View Post

My sister donates to LOL. I think its as good a use for the hair as any other. Personally, LOL never presented themselves as anything other than what they are to me in college. I think people get notions in their head of that an organization is and then blame the organization for their misconception. That's their fault, imo, not the organization.

I agree with this completely. I don't recall Locks of Love falsely portraying a different image of its organization, and I think it's someone's own problem if they're not educated about where their donation is going and how it's being used. And I also think that Locks of Love is a fine organization that helps children, nothing less.
#22 Old 07-07-2006, 03:21 PM
Veggie Regular

I still don't see why I wouldn't want to donate something I would otherwise throw away. I just don't see the big deal. Obviously you shouldn't be FORCED to donate your hair, or made to be guilty if you don't, but I don't see the big deal if you are cutting your hair anways.
#23 Old 07-07-2006, 04:03 PM
Beginner

LOL, and Wigs for Kids are organizations to help children, we all can agree on that fact. My problem is that there is no guarantee that a hair donation will be made into a wig, the hair can be sold. The purpose of these organizations are to provide wigs to children who needs them, not to sell hair. If I donate my hair, I would like to know that it went to a child who needed it. I also have a problem with the sliding scale pay. If a child needs a wig, because of loss of hair due to a medical problem, why not give the wig to the child?
#24 Old 07-07-2006, 05:48 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
LOL, and Wigs for Kids are organizations to help children, we all can agree on that fact. My problem is that there is no guarantee that a hair donation will be made into a wig, the hair can be sold. The purpose of these organizations are to provide wigs to children who needs them, not to sell hair. If I donate my hair, I would like to know that it went to a child who needed it. I also have a problem with the sliding scale pay. If a child needs a wig, because of loss of hair due to a medical problem, why not give the wig to the child?

What if they had to sell some donated hair for income so they could stay in business?
#25 Old 07-07-2006, 06:23 PM
Beginner

The purpose of the organizations are to provide wigs for children, not to sell hair. Non- profit organizations have fund raisers all the time,and receives grants, so they probably would not go out of business if they did not sell hair. Selling hair is extra income.
#26 Old 07-07-2006, 08:16 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamavegetarian View Post

The purpose of the organizations are to provide wigs for children, not to sell hair. Non- profit organizations have fund raisers all the time,and receives grants, so they probably would not go out of business if they did not sell hair. Selling hair is extra income.

Um...one of the fundraisers is selling hair. Why is this so confusing for you?
#27 Old 07-08-2006, 01:44 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamavegetarian View Post

#28 Old 07-08-2006, 04:52 PM
Beginner

For everyone on this thread:I am not confused about anything! I know they probably have fundraisers like other non profit organizations, and clearly they sell hair. I do not want to donate to these organizations that sell hair, when they can clearly use this hair for wigs for children. Of course they have operating costs just like any other business or organization, and have other means of receiving money to operate business. For example, grants, and cash donations. I personally believe an organization that says they provide wigs for children should do this, and use the (hair)donations collected for this purpose only! Also, I do not like the sliding scale pay.I personally believe it to be tacky to sell hair to a family of a child who needs a wig, why not give it to them? Why make this family pay another expense? This is my choice, not anyone else's on this thread. If anyone else wants to cut their hair, go to the trouble of sending it to LOL or Wigs for Kids, and not know if it is going to be sold to a wigmaster, or used for a wig for child, then you can do this, I will not.
#29 Old 07-08-2006, 04:54 PM
Banned

That settles it. You are confused.
#30 Old 07-08-2006, 05:06 PM
Beginner

Whatever. I have a right to my opinion, just like everyone else.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page