Designer Babies - Page 2 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#31 Old 06-02-2006, 11:22 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by delicious View Post

I think that they would be terribly sad, as any parent would be. You know, there are a lot of genetically messed up kids who were created the old fashioned way, who are in foster/group homes. Not every parents keeps their retarded or physically deformed child(ren) no matter how well they planned or didn't plan for the birth. I don't think these planners would be any more likely to abandon their children.

Prospective parents know that they can't insure the birth of a perfect baby (yet) but, the good ones do what they can to up the likelihood of a *perfect* baby.

But those who created their children the old fashioned way didn't pay thousands for a "perfect" child.

What happens if something happens to the child after, say 10 years. Some freak accident. I think anyone who would go out of their way to make a perfect human being to start will be more resentful of that child should something make them less than perfect later. If perfection is so important to you that you would go to those lengths to insure it you're sure going to resent something ruining that.

Mary
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 Old 06-02-2006, 11:28 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryC1999 View Post

But those who created their children the old fashioned way didn't pay thousands for a "perfect" child.

What happens if something happens to the child after, say 10 years. Some freak accident. I think anyone who would go out of their way to make a perfect human being to start will be more resentful of that child should something make them less than perfect later. If perfection is so important to you that you would go to those lengths to insure it you're sure going to resent something ruining that.

Mary

Is perfection the goal tho?

eta: and I see why spending thousands to have a baby is such a big deal. I actually know people who have spent thousands of dollars to furnish their homes (my aunt for example).
#33 Old 06-02-2006, 11:37 AM
Veggie Regular

Thousands of dollars creating a child is nothing to a lot of people. My parents spend thousands of dollars on me every month. And I'm not even perfect.

I am going to do everything that I can to up the odds of having a *perfect* baby myself because I want my child(ren) to lead long, healthy & happy lives.

If they turn out messed up, I'm sure that I'll grieve and deal with it as best I can. It's not as though I don't have the ability to love f*cked up human beings, I'm just going to try not to create any.

"Perfect" is in the eye of the beholder imo.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#34 Old 06-03-2006, 07:07 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Thousands of dollars creating a child is nothing to a lot of people. My parents spend thousands of dollars on me every month. And I'm not even perfect.

I am going to do everything that I can to up the odds of having a *perfect* baby myself because I want my child(ren) to lead long, healthy & happy lives.

If they turn out messed up, I'm sure that I'll grieve and deal with it as best I can. It's not as though I don't have the ability to love f*cked up human beings, I'm just going to try not to create any.

"Perfect" is in the eye of the beholder imo.

Science can't make a perfect person. Just by being human you are guaranteed an imperfect being. These designer babies are not guaranteed a longer or healthier life and nothing can guarantee happiness.

Most parents grieve about what their child has lost, not what they have.I doubt anyone selfish enough to try to create a perfect person would grieve for what the child has lost. I shudder to think what a person is thinking when they try to put together this perfect person. What if the child doesn't live up to expectations? That's an awful lot to put on a kid.

Mary
#35 Old 06-03-2006, 11:46 AM
Veggie Regular

I agree Amy. I've always known I don't want kids, but when I was younger one of my top reasons was "What if I carry that thing around for 9 months only to give birth to a butt ugly baby. Then what?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by OregonAmy View Post

What, and it's not shallow to dress your baby in adorable clothing rather than the cheapest clothing available?

I don't find this offensive at all. I'm not sure why it's so horrible to want your kid to have green eyes & brown hair. Too close to eugenics for people's comfort?

If you're doing IVF anyway, wouldn't it make sense to pick the embryo that is the healthiest? If three of four don't have genetic defects, why not pick the one that has the features you want? By that point anyway, you've already removed a lot of the "magic" of reproduction anyway... why not go all the way. :shrug:

#36 Old 06-03-2006, 07:02 PM
Veggie Regular

kind of like the baby on Seinfeld!

(as if you could have an ugly baby, vggiegirl...)
#37 Old 06-03-2006, 09:21 PM
Banned

i know what you mean about the ugly baby issue, i worry that if i saw my new baby i might not bond and might be thinking 'get rid of that THING somebody'- but on top of that, there is lots more stuff that bothers me about the prospect of having a baby, lol... maybe i'm stupid, but i'm more worried about epesiostomies (or however they spell it- when they get choppin stuff to make more room... eeeekk!!!!) and the possibility of loosing bowel control in labour, and bein naked from the waist down and in pain with all kindsa stuff coming outta me and people lookin at my bits.... and the size of a babys head- those heads aint small!..... oh boy... thats enough to put me off the whole baby thing for now.
#38 Old 06-04-2006, 03:13 AM
Veggie Regular

[QUOTE=MaryC1999]Science can't make a perfect person. Just by being human you are guaranteed an imperfect being.

I disagree. Eventually science will be able to create a perfect person, or at least the parent's idea of perfect. "Some day we will be able to fully fingerprint an embryo."

These designer babies are not guaranteed a longer or healthier life and nothing can guarantee happiness.

No guarantee (yet). But the odds are improved.

Most parents grieve about what their child has lost, not what they have.

I don't see why you think the parents who plan this way would be any different. I know a couple who just had a baby and the father wanted a boy so much that they tried to have one, well, they had a daughter and the father is gah gah about her. As I'm sure most of the parents who try for blue eyes and get brown or tall and get short would be. After your kid is born, it's your kid. \t

I doubt anyone selfish enough to try to create a perfect person would grieve for what the child has lost. I shudder to think what a person is thinking when they try to put together this perfect person.

I'm "selfish" enough to try to create (my idea of) a perfect person because I believe that will give my child the best chance at happiness. And that's all that anyone has been saying. Should we only attempt to do something if we're guaranteed a 100% success rate?

What if the child doesn't live up to expectations? That's an awful lot to put on a kid.

It seems to me the child would have a lot better chance of "living up to expectations" if the parents had more say with the whole process. Always dreamt of having a doctor in the family? Well, why not choose those talented genes and up your odds? Too much like playing God? Well, so are flu shots.

It's all just a matter of degree.
#39 Old 06-04-2006, 11:11 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Too much like playing God? Well, so are flu shots.

It's all just a matter of degree.

Well said!
#40 Old 06-12-2006, 04:59 AM

i think embryos are a life that need not be destroyed at our whim. i think infertility is a blessing to orphans. I dont want bio children, i want adopted kids. IVF is unhealhty for women anyways. Especially since so many are too old to be having kids anyway.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page