"Deaf" school protests new prez. - Page 2 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#31 Old 05-21-2006, 09:53 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamJen View Post

But, deaf people (usually) are around hearing/speaking people, so surely the child would be exposed to speech.

Ah...chiaraluna, that's a good point about the language thing, other types of disabilities don't have that bond.

They would be exposed to speach, but not as much as other children, so they have a disadvantage. At a very young age, children are mostly in contact with their parents, and this is also the age that is critical to the developement of speech.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 Old 05-21-2006, 01:04 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hummusisyummus View Post

Kind of sucks because if they don't learn English they tend to have really poor reading skills.

This is something I didn't realize until I understood that sign language is not just English words replaced with signs. It's a totally different language with different grammar.

And I also know or know people who know lots of deaf people not part of the deaf culture, too. A friend of mine can hear somewhat with a hearing aid, reads lips, and was taught speech at a young age. You wouldn't know she's deaf except that she speaks very slightly differently and won't "hear" what you are saying unless she's looking at you.
#33 Old 05-21-2006, 04:07 PM

Yeah, I didn't mean to say that it was a trait of the deaf in general. I don't know that I've experienced the uberdeaf outside of folks who've had some relation to Gallaudet, actually.

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page