EAting etiquette: Eating before others are served - Page 2 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#31 Old 04-15-2006, 01:57 PM
Veggie Regular

I eat at public functions a bit in my job, from conventions to meal based meetings.

Here's what I've noticed from the omnis:

they wait until the entire table has been served. Other tables are not priority.

They think the time between their yet another version of dried out chicken corpse arrives and whatever if anything that commie freak (read, the vegetarian) gets is the perfect time to quiz about diet or ask what do I eat. some mean really well and talk recipies. that i can deal with except i'm good at imagining what I'm discussing!

(Hello, I'm starving, you are eating and making me talk about food!

However, when I'm accomodated the starving veggie mentality has kicked in and I get humongus servings.)

this is a great reason to eat the salad slooooooooooooooowly and have two pieces of bread on your bread plate.

At a buffet, you are fetching your own food, so dig in, unless you want to wait for the table to be re-seated.

My spouse in omni and we often have our dinners staged differently. I wait, he encourages me to start.

I'll slip him some of my food.

My son is taught to wait, with an explanation of our family-specific practice.

When it's just us, we simply ask if the other one minds.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 Old 04-15-2006, 02:51 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by butterfly_acid View Post

what about tapas though? spain has tapas, which would mean a lot of side plates would be used (reference to another post previously mentioned)

Tapas are awesome !!! I don't mind sharing my food like that, so long as everything at the table is communable (if that's a word! haa!)

In the restaurants/bars were I got served tapas, the waiters just came with a platter with food whenever they felt like it, and everyone who felt like eating took food of the plate. So, nobody had their own plate. When they brought a plate with food nobody seemed to like (snails), we told so, and he took the plate and gave it too our neighbours at the next table. When te plate was empty, they took it away and replaced it with a full one.

I've only been to Spain twice, though, once a month and once two months. So i'm hardly a Spain-expert.
#33 Old 04-23-2006, 08:40 PM
Banned

I mean like, who cares if you use a folk or a spoon to eat rice. Hahaha. I use a spoon to eat rice. That's just me. MY mom and sister be like, Hahahaha Meka, girl you eatin' rice with a spoon. I be like sho isssssssss. Hahahhahaha.

Eat with what you want. You can eat with your toes. Ok that's going a little bit to far. Haha.

Oh and I would rather that elderly people eat before me. I think it's shows repect. I don't know. To me it does. Don't know what you guys think about it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page