"Bad" dog breeds - Page 2 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#31 Old 03-30-2006, 12:48 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryC1999 View Post

And cats are descendants of lions.

Actually, they're the descendants of African Wild Cats, but that's rather off topic.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 Old 03-30-2006, 08:28 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLRodgers View Post

I actually know a few people that have a dog/wolf hybrid living in their homes -- the ones I know say they're extremely gentle and kind... just don't cross them.

hybrid is actually a misnomer since hybrids don't have fertile off spring and a wolf and a dog have very fertile offspring. Also they are the same species.
#33 Old 03-30-2006, 08:51 PM
Veggie Regular

The ones I know, their dog actually is sterile from what they said *shrug*

Edit:

Of course... the one could've just been a freak accident of nature, and the other "sterile" because it's illegal to own them where the other dog's at.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#34 Old 03-30-2006, 09:00 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLRodgers View Post

The ones I know, their dog actually is sterile from what they said *shrug*

that would be a rarity; they may be neutered or spayed, or if they are a high or mid content wolf cross (which would be highly questionable if they were house canines) their breeding cycle could be once a year like a wolves. Male wolves come into heat about late November early December and female wolves come into heat around late December early January (in North America).

Since I know of many people that breed wolf crosses that produce fertile offspring and have been doing so for a few decades the ones you know would be very rare indeed.
#35 Old 03-30-2006, 09:23 PM
Veggie Regular

I used to be scared sh!tless of chow chows. When I was around ten or eleven a friends sister let out their chow chow into the backyard where we were fooling around, so I bolted for the fence. She yelled at me not to jump it, so like an idiot I complied. I slowly approached the chow chow and she took a rip into my stomach and I cried and rolled around on the grass. Later in life I made peace with the chow chow after getting along with another friend's dog.
#36 Old 03-30-2006, 09:42 PM
Veggie Regular

I own a black chow and she is the love of my life!

She has a tendency to be protective of me, but if someone advances on her, she will back down. We also have three other dogs that she gets along beautifully with, two of which are small shih-tzus. My sister has also owned two rottweillers and again, they were amazing dogs!

I have also been around and involved with pitts and mastiffs, none of which ever made me nervous... I have however been around high strung little dogs who would have nipped at me if given the chance...

It is in large part the responsiblity of the owner on how these animals behave. Let's face it, most dogs were wild before humans domesticated them - and some wild beings are more agressive than others - all animals must have the right owners, who can give them the time and attention they need and raise them right.

I work with a girl that has a wolf dog- and he is amazing. Again, they have to know who is in "charge", but the times I've been around him he has been nothing, but a big hairy love bug!
#37 Old 03-30-2006, 09:51 PM
Veggie Regular

My SIL has a little pomeranian that goes from being sweet to a pain in the butt. She likes to bite people's feet, and she'll hang on and let herself be dragged along rather than let go. I've heard this is a common thing for poms, they bite. So far, nothing seems to work at keeping her from doing it. If you distract her, she'll go right back. Smack the wall with a newspaper, she'll flinch, then bite the foot next time it's there.
#38 Old 04-01-2006, 11:48 AM
Veggie Regular

I am going to take an un-PC stance and say I think some breeds are more aggressive than others. My boyfriend's pitbull is 1) a joyfull cat killer 2) a dog fighter and 3) physically aggressive towards me. He started fighting his brother when they were puppies and has hurt him so bad he had to go to the vet to get the pad of his paw that was mostly ripped off sewed back on. The fact they seriously fought one another from puppy-hood suggests to me that it is not a learned behavior. I witnessed him attack a much smaller neutered male beagle-mix because he was jealous of my BF. The dog also head-butts me, especially when he's feeling jealous. He wasn't beaten or fought or starved or teased, etc, he's just spoiled rotten.

Arguably some breeds are more aggressive than others because of people. I'm sure lots of backyard breeders breed pits to be aggressive. Maybe before people started fighting them pits were all wonderful, gentle dogs. Also, owners fail to do what they can to calm their dogs down (e.g. the pit I'm talking about isn't neutered).

Quote:
Originally Posted by veggiefriend View Post

BTW, I have heard that labs are responsible for most dog bites; why? because they are the most popular breed.

"Studies indicate that pit bull-type dogs were involved in approximately a third of human DBRF (i.e., dog bite related fatalities) reported during the 12-year period from 1981 through1992, and Rottweilers were responsible for about half of human DBRF reported during the 4 years from 1993 through 1996....[T]he data indicate that Rottweilers and pit bull-type dogs accounted for 67% of human DBRF in the United States between 1997 and 1998. It is extremely unlikely that they accounted for anywhere near 60% of dogs in the United States during that same period and, thus, there appears to be a breed-specific problem with fatalities." (Sacks JJ, Sinclair L, Gilchrist J, Golab GC, Lockwood R. Breeds of dogs involved in fatal human attacks in the United States between 1979 and 1998. JAVMA 2000;217:836-840.)

From this it wouldn't be fair to say that pits and rotties are the most aggressive breeds. I've seen some nasty ankle-biters but they're probably not going to be successful in killing anybody.
#39 Old 04-01-2006, 12:54 PM
Veggie Regular

I've been almost licked to death by over 4 different labs.
#40 Old 04-01-2006, 03:08 PM
Veggie Regular

Aggression towards other animals DOES NOT equal aggression towards humans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hummusisyummus View Post

he's just spoiled rotten.

(e.g. the pit I'm talking about isn't neutered).

There are your problem(s) right there as to why he's aggressive to you. It's not because he's a pit bull.
#41 Old 04-01-2006, 03:46 PM
Veggie Regular

My family's owned male dogs that weren't neutered, and they were perfectly non-violent, playful... the worst thing they did was try and lick you in the mouth.

not neutered <> aggressive in itself
#42 Old 04-01-2006, 03:55 PM
Veggie Regular

Cesar Millan who hosts the show Dog Whisperer on the National Geographic Channel refers to those big powerful dogs, Cane Corsos, Presa Canarios, Bull Mastiffs, “Pit Bulls”, Rottweilers, and German Shepherds, as "gladiator breeds". These are all very high energy, powerful dogs with strong personalities. They need owners who are experienced and know how to establish themselves as pack leader. If inexperienced owners take on these breeds and don't properly train them, bad things can happen. I mean, how many pit, or pit mix owners have a breaking stick and know how to use it?

I think it is foolish to not acknowledge the history of a breed. Dogs that have been bred to fight other dogs, or to be protective, ARE going to have a greater tendency to display aggressiveness. I've read opinions from experienced Pit Bull owners that Pits should never be left unattended with other dogs, because even dogs who've never show aggression can "go hot". This comes from people who love and admire these dogs, but recognize that they have a history that can predispose them to some behaviors.

I don't think there are "bad breeds", but I do think there are breeds which require experienced owners, because if something does go wrong with such a powerful dog, it's going to be VERY bad.
#43 Old 04-01-2006, 04:31 PM
Veggie Regular

The people who lived next door to my grandma growing up had pitbulls who were known to be agressive. I was always scared of them, scared to go out in the yard, because they would somehow get me from next door.

They killed my cousin's cat.

I've had a small fear of big dogs since then. I'm getting over it though.
#44 Old 04-01-2006, 05:24 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Plastic Straw View Post

Cesar Millan who hosts the show Dog Whisperer on the National Geographic Channel refers to those big powerful dogs, Cane Corsos, Presa Canarios, Bull Mastiffs, Pit Bulls, Rottweilers, and German Shepherds, as "gladiator breeds". These are all very high energy, powerful dogs with strong personalities. They need owners who are experienced and know how to establish themselves as pack leader. If inexperienced owners take on these breeds and don't properly train them, bad things can happen. I mean, how many pit, or pit mix owners have a breaking stick and know how to use it?

I think it is foolish to not acknowledge the history of a breed. Dogs that have been bred to fight other dogs, or to be protective, ARE going to have a greater tendency to display aggressiveness. I've read opinions from experienced Pit Bull owners that Pits should never be left unattended with other dogs, because even dogs who've never show aggression can "go hot". This comes from people who love and admire these dogs, but recognize that they have a history that can predispose them to some behaviors.

I don't think there are "bad breeds", but I do think there are breeds which require experienced owners, because if something does go wrong with such a powerful dog, it's going to be VERY bad.

I totally agree. Except pits are not by nature guard dogs or human aggressive like rotties and German shepherds can be if mishandled. Labeling pits bad dogs because they can be dog aggressive is like labeling beagles bad because they go after rabbits. Most of the pits that come into the shelter that have been fought (and will never be adopted out) are fine with people but the other dogs send them into a frenzy.

One of my dog's best dog park friends is a pit bull and every pit bull owner should have the knowledge of the breed and control of their dog that this dog's owner has. He never takes his eyes off him, follows him up and down the park as the dogs run, and if he thinks he's getting even a bit too excited when he plays with my dog or any other dog, he calls him off and makes him calm down awhile. The dog knows the command "easy" means back off and relax.
#45 Old 04-01-2006, 05:32 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbow_clouds View Post

They killed my cousin's cat.

Not that I like to see dogs kill cats, but pits certainly aren't the only breed that will. My dogs have been taught or, in the case of my latest addition, are in the process of being taught, to leave my cats alone. But if there was a strange cat in the yard and it ran from them, if I wasn't there to call them back, I think they'd kill it. Many dogs have a strong prey drive and it's their nature to chase anything that runs. They can't tell a pet cat from a rabbit or a bird. If it runs, it's a potential meal.

My neighbor's cat used to climb up on their garage and then jump down into my fenced yard, and she'd always come running over all flustered saying "Don't let your dogs out! I have to get my cat!"

It would've been much simpler if she just kept her cat in the house, where it belongs.
#46 Old 04-01-2006, 06:29 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post

Not that I like to see dogs kill cats, but pits certainly aren't the only breed that will. My dogs have been taught or, in the case of my latest addition, are in the process of being taught, to leave my cats alone. But if there was a strange cat in the yard and it ran from them, if I wasn't there to call them back, I think they'd kill it. Many dogs have a strong prey drive and it's their nature to chase anything that runs. They can't tell a pet cat from a rabbit or a bird. If it runs, it's a potential meal.

My neighbor's cat used to climb up on their garage and then jump down into my fenced yard, and she'd always come running over all flustered saying "Don't let your dogs out! I have to get my cat!"

It would've been much simpler if she just kept her cat in the house, where it belongs.

My dalmatian ran after the kitten yesterday and had her head in his mouth before I got to him. He thought he was playing, the kitten wasn't so sure. She was sopping wet and terrified but fine. I can easily see how any dog could give chase and even attack a cat, rabbit, squirrel.

Not to say dogs won't attack out of aggression too, just I also think it's unfair to label a dog as "bad" because it chases and attacks other animals.

My cats attack and kill mice when they find them does that make them "bad" cats or just animals with instincts? I think it's weird that people hold dogs and cats to different standards of conduct. They're both animals that are biologically programmed to track, hunt and kill, even if they don't have to to survive. Although some dogs can be born more aggressive than others (the one litter of puppies I ever raised up as a child had one mean SOB of a terrier in it, total bad seed) more often than not I think it's the fault of the owner either by neglect or ignorance of how to properly own a dog. The dogs than unfairly get the blame.

Mary

Edit: Just to clarify I agree with the above post. lol
#47 Old 04-02-2006, 08:17 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post

Right, and I never implied that they were. I was just stating the reason for my early fear of dogs.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page