Corned beef dinner OK’d by diocese - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 03-17-2006, 05:20 AM
Administrator

If the purpose of lent is to "observe the sacrifice of Jesus Christ" I think this is pathetic.

Quote:

The regions Catholics observing Lent may join their corned-beef-loving brethren across the country. Northwest Indiana residents are among those given the OK to celebrate St. Patricks Day with the traditional dinner fare, said the Rev. Brian Chadwick, communications director for the Diocese of Gary.

As a substitute for not eating meat on Friday, the bishop has given a choice choose to abstain from meat another day or do another sort of penance, Chadwick said. Thats the beauty of it.

Dozens of bishops from Green Bay, Wis., to Arlington, Va., to Chicago to Boston granted a one-day dispensation from Lenten rules that prohibit Roman Catholics from eating meat on Fridays to observe the sacrifice of Jesus Christ.

Full story...

http://www.post-trib.com/cgi-bin/pto...1_news_19.html

VeggieBoards Alumni Facebook Group

If you're an old time VB'er stop by and say hi!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-17-2006, 06:23 AM
Veggie Regular

Well that's catholocism through and through I'm afraid. Do what you want, and you'll be allowed to make up for it.
#3 Old 03-17-2006, 06:59 AM
Administrator

Jesus should have said "How about instead of getting crucified today I give up chocolate next Tuesday?"

VeggieBoards Alumni Facebook Group

If you're an old time VB'er stop by and say hi!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 03-17-2006, 09:21 AM
Veggie Regular

That is the coolest thing about Catholics. They always put partying before their god.
#5 Old 03-17-2006, 10:29 AM
Veggie Regular

I read that in Ohio (or at least Columbus), whoever's in charge is taking a hard line and saying no to corn beef for all area Catholics.

So no partying here, I'm afraid. Or will the lines at confessional just be alittle longer next week?
#6 Old 03-17-2006, 01:23 PM

In defense of the Catholics:

It's harder to move St. Patrick's Day than to move a lenten observance. I was once a part of putting together a St. Patty's Day party during lent and in some people's books that would be against the lenten observance even though it wasn't Friday.

Lent can be observed but sometimes you have to have some fun. But no meat!!! It's fun to have fun but you have to know how.
#7 Old 03-17-2006, 02:27 PM
Veggie Regular

Down with Catholics! They have such a stupid religion! And the Irish ones...what a ****ing joke!

#8 Old 03-17-2006, 02:38 PM

In Matthew, Chapter 12 we read about how the Pharisees approached Jesus to ask him why his disciples picked and ate grain on the Sabbath, thereby violating the Sabbath. Another time the Pharisees asked Jesus why he didn't observe the dish washing ritual.

Jesus response in both instances: "Chill out guys!!!"

Another time Jesus shakes his head at these people: "John (the Baptist) fasts and lives in the wilderness and you say he's crazy. I come eating and drinking and you call me a glutton and a drunkard. You guys are never happy".

It's good to have rules and guidelines but if you get too bound up by them you end up in a spiritual straight-jacket.
#9 Old 03-17-2006, 04:25 PM
Veggie Regular

THe real question is why do they eat fish in meat's place?
#10 Old 03-17-2006, 04:57 PM
Veggie Regular

I've heard it's for the peasants. They had such little nutrion in general that they couldn't be denied fish, so they didn't count it as meat.
#11 Old 03-18-2006, 02:57 AM
Veggie Regular

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think Jesus was the one who said you can't have meat on Friday during Lent. It's one of the man made laws, so no biggy, IMO if they want to grant a dispensation. Unfortunately, there a lot of Catholics who get upset by all of the 'rules' anyway, so I think it's nice that the Church would relax a bit and say meat is ok. I should add that it's only supposed to be for those people who really make it a tradition by having corned beef. You aren't supposed to go out and eat filet mignon or anything like that. It's a huge Irish holiday so I say, why not? Still smiling!
#12 Old 03-18-2006, 04:19 AM
Veggie Regular

Who eats Corned Beef on St. Patrick's Day anyways? Yuck. I was a meat eater for 21 years and never had corned beef on St Patrick's Day.

Oh well, I suppose this isn't any different than the Protestant churches that cancel Sunday night services on Super Bowl Sunday.
#13 Old 03-19-2006, 01:57 AM

i was raised catholic--am not a practicing catholic anymore--dont believe what they do and all that jazz...when i was a kid my parents had meatless fridays every week not just during lent and it wasnt a big deal for me--i wasnt ever a meat fan--but never understood how they could move things around and change them to fit whatever was going on--hey whatever floats their boats---just not my style--if you have rules about lent and such you should follow them or just get rid of them--imo only.

peace and love

Jenn
#14 Old 03-19-2006, 05:36 AM
Veggie Regular

Just for the record...I agree with ^^^^if you have rules you should follow them or just get rid of them. I just don't care if they want to make exceptions because there are Catholics who complain about the rules.
#15 Old 03-19-2006, 06:19 AM
Kiz
Veggie Regular

First I've ever heard of Corned Beef Eating as a St Patrick's Day tradition.

Love the post? Why not buy the T-shirt!
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=categorie&cat=8
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=product&info=94
#16 Old 03-19-2006, 06:28 AM
Kiz
Veggie Regular

Here's sSomething interesting

Quote:

Corned Beef and Cabbage

Corned beef and cabbage is the traditional meal enjoyed by many on St. Patrick's Day, but only half of it is truly Irish. Cabbage has long been a staple of the Irish diet, but it was traditionally served with Irish bacon, not corned beef. The corned beef was substituted for bacon by Irish immigrants to the Americas around the turn of the century who could not afford the real thing. They learned about the cheaper alternative from their Jewish neighbors.

from http://www.religionfacts.com/christi...tricks_day.htmHere's something interesting

[quote]

Love the post? Why not buy the T-shirt!
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=categorie&cat=8
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=product&info=94
#17 Old 03-19-2006, 09:24 AM
Veggie Regular

Very interesting article. I love to read stuff like that. Funny how and why traditions morph over the years.
#18 Old 03-19-2006, 12:51 PM
Veggie Regular

I always ate the cabbage carrots and potatoes on St. Patrick's day when my family made it. Cornned Beef was way too salty and fatty for me.
#19 Old 03-19-2006, 01:45 PM
Joe
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbow_clouds View Post

THe real question is why do they eat fish in meat's place?

I think we have gone over this subject many times on VB, but there is a traditional distinction between flesh (meat), fish and fowl. The abstenence from meat (flesh) on Friday's was/is a sacrifice symbolic of and honoring Christ's sacrifice, the death of his flesh on the cross, on Good Friday. The rule was extended to fowl, but not to fish. So, there seems to have been an analogy of Christ's flesh with flesh (meat) and fowl, but the analogy stopped short of fish. What the reasons for this distinction were are unclear, but possibly it had something to do with fish being widely available to be caught by anyone, whereas at the time of Christ the meat of mammals or birds was usually purchased after slaughter and thus was something of a luxury only available to the well off.

Fish was eaten as a substitute protein source. But there is no rule in Catholicism requiring that one eat fish; the only requirement is that one abstain from meat (flesh or fowl).
#20 Old 03-19-2006, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotting View Post

That is the coolest thing about Catholics. They always put partying before their god.

That is true for the ones I know in rl. No wonder most of my friends growing up were Catholic.
#21 Old 03-19-2006, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Oh well, I suppose this isn't any different than the Protestant churches that cancel Sunday night services on Super Bowl Sunday.

Thank God they did, so I could let the guilt go. Or sometimes they let us have a Superbowl party in the church basement.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page