Leaving the U.S.A. - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 03-08-2006, 10:18 AM
Veggie Regular

The United States is increasingly becoming...well, completely insane. Abortion is getting overturned, religion is becoming a stronger influence on government, the war in Iraq is a mess, and now the Patriot Act is being renewed. The world will probably face an energy shortage in the next 50-100 years, and the U.S. imports much of its oil from other nations and is moving somewhat slowly to developing alternatives. Government seems increasingly corrupt.

Am I the only one who feels this way? I am wondering how many people are thinking about moving out of the United States. My question is, how extreme would things have to get for you to consider moving to another country? Are you already thinking about it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-08-2006, 10:37 AM
Veggie Regular

I'm a Canadian, but I have to say, when I see your local news for the night it makes my head spin.
#3 Old 03-08-2006, 10:40 AM
Veggie Regular

Canada seems to be on the same path with our new Conservative Prime Minister. I heard about the Dakota abortion law but from what I understand, there will be appeals and it'll be Roe vs. Wade all over again.

On the bright side, Bush can't run again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 03-08-2006, 10:43 AM
Veggie Regular

I almost did...I wish I wouldn't have chickened out. I regret not taking that chance every day.
#5 Old 03-08-2006, 10:51 AM
Banned

I prefer this approach: Staying here, being politically active, and trying to create positive change.
#6 Old 03-08-2006, 10:54 AM
Veggie Regular

Don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out.
#7 Old 03-08-2006, 10:57 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbowmoon View Post

Am I the only one who feels this way? I am wondering how many people are thinking about moving out of the United States. My question is, how extreme would things have to get for you to consider moving to another country? Are you already thinking about it?

I don't think the U.S. is going down the drain at all, and it seems brighter to me because of the upcoming elections. I doubt abortion laws will be overturned and I also doubt the Patriot Act has any effect on you personally. It's definitely not so extremely bad that I'm going to leave this great country. Canada is too cold!
#8 Old 03-08-2006, 11:08 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangutan View Post

Canada is too cold!

It is cold, but I like the cold.

On the negative side though:

Canada has the seal hunt.

We also have the tar sands which are so environmentally destructive it defies description.

We have performed worse on our Kyoto targets then I think any other country has. Increasing our emissions by 26% instead of decreasing them by 6%

We have elected a Conservative Prime Minister (as others have said) recently, but I don't think he will last long.

Still I love Canada as much as I am sure most Americans love the USA.

If I was to ever leave, in my opinion the best place to head would be Sweden. They are hoping to be using 100% renewable energy by 2020.
#9 Old 03-08-2006, 11:19 AM
Veggie Regular

i'm canadian but i escaped to the states about a dozen years ago.

i guess it depends on where you want to escape to.

canada is generally cooler when it comes to the general populace being a little more liberal and informed, the government is quite a bit more liberal, but i ran from there because of the high taxation. People in the states often look to canada with admiration over the "free" healcare everyone recieves, but fail to understand that it's not free at all. It's one of the reasons why canadians are taxed so agressively.

i'm in the states because the standard of living is so much higher imo. of course it depends on your career, and the 'standards of living' you prioritize.

gradeschool teachers have a higher standing of living in canada than grade school teachers here so there are exceptions of course.

i was equally pissed at the canadian government as i am now at the US government. The canadian government isn't such an international embarassment as the US government is, but i don't leave the country too much so it's not that big of a factor.
#10 Old 03-08-2006, 11:22 AM
Veggie Regular

Canada has hockey, the coolest game on earth.
#11 Old 03-08-2006, 11:24 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by skanky View Post

um no.

the coolest game on earth would be curling...and canada also has that
#12 Old 03-08-2006, 11:27 AM
Veggie Regular

Curling is ridiculous. Inflated shuffleboard.

There's nothing faster than hockey. Luge or any gravity fed sports don't count. Neither do motorized ones.
#13 Old 03-08-2006, 11:37 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by skanky View Post

So do we. And we can get to the games most nights w/o suffering frostbite walking to the arena.
#14 Old 03-08-2006, 11:43 AM
Veggie Regular

yeah, well it would have been nice for my kids to be able to go out in the back yard and slap it around instead of waiting for me to get home to drive them half an hour to the rink
#15 Old 03-08-2006, 11:50 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bstutzma View Post

I prefer this approach: Staying here, being politically active, and trying to create positive change.

I happen to agree... If there's trouble, don't run! Stay and help fix it.
#16 Old 03-08-2006, 12:33 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

I doubt abortion laws will be overturned and I also doubt the Patriot Act has any effect on you personally.

Ahh the old 'if you don't have anything to hide then what are you worried about' mentallity.

It is for the exact reason that I have nothing to hide that I want privacy. The only kind of government that would go around sticking its nose in my business would be a bad invasive type. Privacy is important.

If I was doing something bad, the government would soon find out. They could then get a warrant. If I wasn't doing anything bad then they would have no reason to bother going through the process of getting a warrant for no reason at all, the patriot act has removed that need for getting a warrant, so there is no deterrent against spying on anyone even if there is no reason too. You've traded freedom and privacy for a feeling of security.
#17 Old 03-08-2006, 12:58 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bstutzma View Post

in some ways i agree with this.

in some ways, i don't. at some point things are too dire and dangerous to stay and fight.

i do believe bush, rumsfeld, cheney, etc. are war criminals and that the US is a dangerous place for people who express dissenting ideas.

but i will stay, for now.
#18 Old 03-08-2006, 01:01 PM

Patriot Act doesn't effect you personally..rubbish.

<<has to go back to work for now.

*laughs and laughs*

Patriot Act.

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol
#19 Old 03-08-2006, 01:08 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post

So do we. And we can get to the games most nights w/o suffering frostbite walking to the arena.

Only an American would complain about the cold on the way to a hockey game.
#20 Old 03-08-2006, 01:24 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamJen View Post

Patriot Act doesn't effect you personally..rubbish.

*laughs and laughs*

Patriot Act.

Looks like someone wants to get herself placed on the No Fly List....
#21 Old 03-08-2006, 02:02 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher Jon View Post

Haha it made me laugh cuz it's true.
#22 Old 03-08-2006, 02:44 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satyagraha View Post

Ahh the old 'if you don't have anything to hide then what are you worried about' mentallity.

i was in that camp a few weeks ago, and i sure as hell don't have a problem with the government wiretapping terrorists.

i mean i don't engage in any illegal activities other than a bit o' doobage so what have i got to worry about?

but i keep stumbling across story, after story, after story where they are using the patriot act to spy on people who have no connections to terrorism.

Like this one: http://www.11alive.com/news/news_art...?storyid=75151

they're paying people with my money to follow her around, and spy on her?

but besides my tax dollars paying for silly stuff like that though it has yet to affect me personally...so far as i know

ps. don't use this emoticon ---> There's a homeland security officer watching this board! Anyone using this emoticon triggers an alarm, and homeland security officers are dispatched to your ISP to obtain your address via IP! Then they track your every move. Arrest is inevitable.
#23 Old 03-08-2006, 03:07 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

I don't think the U.S. is going down the drain at all, and it seems brighter to me because of the upcoming elections. I doubt abortion laws will be overturned and I also doubt the Patriot Act has any effect on you personally. It's definitely not so extremely bad that I'm going to leave this great country. Canada is too cold!

Some parts of Canada are the same temp as San Fransciso. The west coast of Canada has a similar climate to the west coast of the USA.

And just for a point of fact: Detroit, Michigan is actually NORTH of southern Ontario.
#24 Old 03-08-2006, 03:24 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
ps. don't use this emoticon ---> There's a homeland security officer watching this board! Anyone using this emoticon triggers an alarm, and homeland security officers are dispatched to your ISP to obtain your address via IP! Then they track your every move. Arrest is inevitable.

care to back that up with some evidence?

Nec Aspera Terrent
#25 Old 03-08-2006, 03:38 PM
Veggie Regular

I thought about it after the last election honestly.....quite seriously. I thought about france. A few weeks ago I read the kids at school a book about a german family. The book talked about the majority of german families with children living in apartments because this is what they can afford. After reading that book to the children, I felt much more normal than 'poor'...as I feel here as a single mom. I thought here we have all this space and everyone wants larger living quarters...and here is this family living in an apartment the size of mine....four people, happy and...normal. Imagine. School starts at eight and ends at one (no that's not a miss-print), children don't spend much of their time being assessed because of ridiculous no child left behind rules....etc.

Meanwhile we consume consume consume. Except those of us who can't afford all of the consumption....

It's interesting what we've been taught to want and see as 'necessary'. My mom and sister for instance go to walmart three times a week for things they deem as necessary which they've run out of, while I never use most of those things, at all.

Don't get me started on abortion or the religious right. I don't have the time.

B
#26 Old 03-08-2006, 03:38 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by WonderRandy View Post

care to back that up with some evidence?

You do know he was joking, right?

*this space not for sale*
#27 Old 03-08-2006, 03:49 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy SF View Post

You do know he was joking, right?

sorry yes it was intended as a joke
#28 Old 03-08-2006, 03:50 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher Jon View Post

I need to move to Anaheim or Tampa Bay and have the best of both worlds. NHL hockey and I can wear shorts to the game!
#29 Old 03-08-2006, 04:16 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satyagraha View Post

It is for the exact reason that I have nothing to hide that I want privacy. The only kind of government that would go around sticking its nose in my business would be a bad invasive type. Privacy is important.

If I was doing something bad, the government would soon find out. They could then get a warrant. If I wasn't doing anything bad then they would have no reason to bother going through the process of getting a warrant for no reason at all, the patriot act has removed that need for getting a warrant, so there is no deterrent against spying on anyone even if there is no reason too. You've traded freedom and privacy for a feeling of security.

I wasn't justifying the Patriot Act at all. I was just saying that it shouldn't be a reason to move, because she's not being personally affected. I'm assuming, of course, that she's not actually being spied on.

And, btw, I don't think the Patriot Act "has removed that need for getting a warrant." Warrants are still necessary in some situations. They have never been necessary in all situations.
#30 Old 03-08-2006, 04:18 PM
Veggie Regular

I think people are more worried about the govt telling them publically what they can do now, as compared to doing it and not telling them.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page