What's getting the axe in Bush's budget - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 02-09-2006, 09:58 PM

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060209/..._cuts_glance_1

*sigh*

Down with trains, and education, and help for the mentally ill.

Up with defense and spying on Americans.

3 billion dollars cut from education funding...so much for his State of the Union promises.

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-09-2006, 10:08 PM
Veggie Regular

f*** bush.
#3 Old 02-09-2006, 10:59 PM

Thanks for this good link. I just sent this to my wonderful Bush supporting parents.

Yep, just no words to describe......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 02-10-2006, 01:30 PM
Veggie Regular

"Bush's job approval is now at 40 percent and his approval on handling the economy at 39 percent. Those numbers haven't budged over the last month even with the public's confidence in the economy growing and the president delivering an upbeat State of the Union address..."

40 percent is crazy high imo. Who are these people?! And more importantly, what is wrong with them???
#5 Old 02-10-2006, 02:20 PM
Veggie Regular

not enough cuts,

The V22 Osprey program has killed dozens of marines and the first squadron is scheduled to become operational in march. Dick Cheney tried to kill it many times but Texas politicians have kept it going despite fatalities and huge cost overruns, no improvements in safety and now a combat landing is verbotten (more vulnerable to enemy fire and guess what it has no armaments, no door gunner or anything). It's still not too late to kill or cripple this program.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/V-22_Osprey

Maybe they can rename it somethign more appropriate like the V22 Hearst or Valkyrie.

* This post may contain pork, beef and fingers of undocumented workers. This post was manufactured in a facility that processes peanuts.
#6 Old 02-10-2006, 10:29 PM
Veggie Regular

The Valkyrie took the dead to Valhalla but did not facilitate the warriors initial departure. I don't follow the military programs much but it seems that you are saying that pork is what's for dinner.

I am very disappointed with the budget but then again I usually am.
#7 Old 02-10-2006, 11:12 PM
Veggie Regular

"Watershed protection and flood prevention operations, $75 million."

This kills me. It's this sort of funding that allows us to avoid natural disasters such as Katrina, which God know's has sucked up how much federal money? How much money could have been saved by whipping intelligence organizations into shape so we could have avoided 9/11? If you want to balance a budget you need to think about the future.
#8 Old 02-12-2006, 06:46 AM
Veggie Regular

We did have intelligence on 9/11 did we not? Having worked in the intelligence sector, I learned very quickly that having intelligence and using intelligence are two very different things. (just ask the folks who died in the tet offensive...oh wait, you can't)

Of course we need to cut education...teachers make way too much money and never have to buy supplies out of pocket or anything. yikes.
#9 Old 02-12-2006, 07:11 AM
Veggie Regular

Oh sure, there was definite intelligence about 911, it was simply not acted upon because that would have been political suicide.

But back on topic. Bush never fails to not surprise me....
#10 Old 02-12-2006, 07:19 AM
Veggie Regular

The irony about Katrina is that scientist and governmental officials were well aware that a hurricane could have flooded New Orleans well before it happened and they were aware of the kinds of things natural (restoration of wetlands) and man made (break waters and such) to prevent this from happening. Plans for the prevention of this were submitted year after year but never got approval. Scientific American has a great article on this several years before Katrina. Unfortunately our elected officials are reactive as opposed to being proactive. We are spending hundreds of millions of dollars rebuilding New Orleans when we could have spent tens of millions preventing.

I also agree with Bethanie that there was plenty of information that Al-Quada was planning something here and we did not do anything.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page