The Soul Part I: Out of Body Experiences - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 02-03-2006, 10:58 PM
Veggie Regular

as the title says, I'm curious to know if anyone's had an OBE or believes they happen and whatnot..some driving philosophies and whether or not it's messing where a human shouldn't go...

sooo

1) do you believe in the soul?

2) do you believe in OBE's

3) do you believe an OBE is a mental thing and not a spiritual thing (caused by chemicals in the brain or neurons being activated by something or other)

4) is it wrong for a human to have an OBE if it means going where humans don't go physically (aka...like walking into the bosses office when he's not in there to see...similar aspect is a human having an OBE when "God" might not be wanting said human to do such a thing)...

5) if you believe in OBE's...do you think reincarnation is a possibility, or do you feel that people just move on out of the earth once their life is over with.

6) Do you feel that animals have souls?

7) If animals do have souls, would they go where humans go when they all die...:-p

I'm very curious ^_^
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-04-2006, 08:41 AM
Veggie Regular

1) no

2) nope

3) obviously mental

4) ???

5) n/a

6) no

7) ???
#3 Old 02-05-2006, 05:37 PM
Veggie Regular

1) do you believe in the soul? Yes.

2) do you believe in OBE's Yes.

3) do you believe an OBE is a mental thing and not a spiritual thing (caused by chemicals in the brain or neurons being activated by something or other)Spirutal and mental.

4) is it wrong for a human to have an OBE if it means going where humans don't go physically (aka...like walking into the bosses office when he's not in there to see...similar aspect is a human having an OBE when "God" might not be wanting said human to do such a thing)... It depends.

5) if you believe in OBE's...do you think reincarnation is a possibility, or do you feel that people just move on out of the earth once their life is over with. People just move on.

6) Do you feel that animals have souls? Yes.

7) If animals do have souls, would they go where humans go when they all die... Yes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 02-05-2006, 05:41 PM
Veggie Regular

1) No

2) No

3) Huh?

4) what?

5) No

6) No

7) I guess since we all stay put, we all end up on earth...?

It is very likely that when people have OBE's they are really experiencing sleep paralysis. I have experienced sleep paralysis on several occassions and understand why it might be interpreted as an OBE, but it isn't.
#5 Old 02-05-2006, 05:57 PM
Veggie Regular

Care to elaborate on sleep paralysis? I'm very curious. If not, I will go and do a search!
#6 Old 02-05-2006, 06:13 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by karenlovessnow View Post

Care to elaborate on sleep paralysis? I'm very curious. If not, I will go and do a search!

Sleep paralysis is basically this state between being awake and asleep. Your body is still shut down, hence the paralysis. It is commonly accompanied by hallucinations (aliens, god, obe, etc). These hallucinations are very vivid and convincing. Because you can't move it is common to think that you are under some kind of trance. Say maybe the aliens drugged you, or god is pulling you to heaven kind of thing. Everytime I have experienced this I have taken drugs in my dream and figured that was why my body felt so weird.

This can happen to people when they are under stress, not sleeping well, napping, etc. If you get a good full night sleep all the time you will probably never have this experience.

as always wikipedia is a good place to learn more

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sleep_paralysis
#7 Old 02-05-2006, 06:21 PM
Veggie Regular

I've had an "out of body" experience before. I was in a situation where I was extremely nervous (telling a guy I liked that I liked him...lol) and while I was telling him that, I suddenly was seeing myself from behind, and hearing the words come out of my mouth. It was totally surreal. I don't know if my soul literally left my body or anything, but it definately felt like it did. I think it was just the chemicals in my brain messing with me.

It's not in what you say, it's in what you do (Oasis)

Feeling bored? Why don't you wander over to my blog sometime. http://thebohemiankitchen.wordpress.com
#8 Old 02-05-2006, 06:33 PM
Veggie Regular

Hopeful but not 100% convinced

Not sure -- have never seen credible proof

3) do you believe an OBE is a mental thing and not a spiritual thing (caused by chemicals in the brain or neurons being activated by something or other)

Not sure

4) is it wrong for a human to have an OBE if it means going where humans don't go physically (aka...like walking into the bosses office when he's not in there to see...similar aspect is a human having an OBE when "God" might not be wanting said human to do such a thing)...

I suspect that an OBE, if possible, would be a more profound experience than snooping in somebody's office.

5) if you believe in OBE's...do you think reincarnation is a possibility, or do you feel that people just move on out of the earth once their life is over with.

The idea of reincarnation resonates with me and makes a lot of sense -- but my answer to #1 applies here as well.

I think that if humans have souls, all other animals do as well.

7) If animals do have souls, would they go where humans go when they all die...:-p

I would hope so.
#9 Old 02-05-2006, 07:20 PM
Veggie Regular

I've nearly achieved an OBE once, during deep meditation. It was as if my soul were detached from my body except at the crown chakra, where it seemed to be tied down...

I believe in the experience, but of course have no way to verify it.

Nec Aspera Terrent
#10 Old 02-05-2006, 07:24 PM
Veggie Regular

I experience sleep paralysis about once a week, more if I'm especially tired or stressed.

Usually I hallucinate that someone is in the room with me, but sometimes have what could be considered an OBE. It may feel real (and most often terrifying) but I know it's all just in my head.
#11 Old 02-05-2006, 08:15 PM
Veggie Regular

No.

Yes, I believe in out-of-body experiences. I don't believe people actually leave their bodies and are able to spy on their bosses or anything.

3) do you believe an OBE is a mental thing and not a spiritual thing...

I think even a "spiritual" experience is a mental one. But the way I think you mean your question, is it supernatural or not, I'd say no. It's most likely a hallucination. I've had them many times. Especially after I started reading about them and was very interested in them and actually believed they might happen in the supernatural sense. But just because something has a natural cause doesn't make it any less amazing or facinating or special, imo.

4) is it wrong for a human to have an OBE...

If OBEs exist in the supernatural sense, I think the same ethical concerns would apply as would to physically going somewhere you shouldn't. As for it being wrong against God or nature, no. I'm not sure one can go against nature, and I'm atheist.

5) if you believe in OBE's...

N/A plus, I don't believe in souls or reincarnaiton.

6) Do you feel that animals have souls? No.

7) If animals do have souls... N/A
#12 Old 02-05-2006, 08:42 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guacivore View Post

1)

I think that if humans have souls, all other animals do as well.

[/I]

Even mosquitos? Does that mean we'll have to deal with them in heaven, too?
#13 Old 02-05-2006, 08:57 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by veganinohio View Post

Even mosquitos? Does that mean we'll have to deal with them in heaven, too?

Think I gotta plead willful and permanent agnosticism on this one, pal.

#14 Old 02-05-2006, 09:13 PM
Veggie Regular

I find it curious that many on this forum like to answer deep physical and metaphysical questions in terms of "I think ..."

Now don't get me wrong it is perfectly acceptable to admit that you don't know the answer. But I get the impression that people assume they are suppose to have an opinion on hard questions such as "souls" "afterlife" etc that they go with a gut instinct. Well, guts are terrible at discovering the truth. If we want to discover the truth it is time we stop relying on our gut to get us there and start looking at repeatable, disprobable, consistant experiments.

To me it is meaningless when someone says "I think there is a heaven" well how does that get us any closer to the truth? Does your gut change its mind if it get indegestion then all of a sudden you "don't think there is a heave".

You could easily replace heaven for soul or what have you.

So if you "think" something is true simply because your gut instinct told you so, maybe you should reevaluate your truth finding process.

[/rant]
#15 Old 02-05-2006, 09:21 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdufstuff View Post

I find it curious that many on this forum like to answer deep physical and metaphysical questions in terms of "I think ..."

[/rant]

Well, I majored in philosophy and obsess over questions of mortality, soul, and ethics each and every day of my life.

After years of considered analysis, I have concluded that I do not "know" anything -- which is why I use the term "think".

Furthermore, I do not trust people who claim to "know" eternal truths.

Shrug.
#16 Old 02-05-2006, 09:26 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdufstuff View Post

To me it is meaningless when someone says "I think there is a heaven" well how does that get us any closer to the truth? Does your gut change its mind if it get indegestion then all of a sudden you "don't think there is a heaven".

I hope there is an afterlife and I hope there is a heaven. Does this better meet with your approval?

Sorry, but this just seems so condescending to me. And I don't see where the "gut instinct" talk is coming from.

Edited to add: You are also assuming that scientific method is the only path to truth. Some people believe in more non-linear approaches such as intuition and faith. I think (there's that word again) that reason and intuition are probably both essential.
#17 Old 02-05-2006, 09:56 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

I hope there is an afterlife and I hope there is a heaven. Does this better meet with your approval??

Sorry, but this just seems so condescending to me. And I don't see where the "gut instinct" talk is coming from.

This wasn't directed at you or anyone in particular. Please don't take offense.

I think I might have been misinterpreted. I do love philosophy, and don't want thinking to stop! I admit that I don't know any actual truths, just an approximation of them. The fact that you admit that you know no eternal truths only shows that you are not the kind of person I am talking about.

I think the problem I am trying to speak about is when some people say "I believe ...." and there is no good reason for that belief but feel it is valid because we teach our society to respect beliefs. But not all beliefs are valid (in the philosophical sense). So I think if one is going to give a way out there belief such as "I believe in souls" or "I believe all animals have souls" it should probably come with some kind of argument, either physical or philsophical.
#18 Old 02-05-2006, 10:02 PM
Veggie Regular

I think I had one of them once, but i was on something.. so not sure if it's the same sort of thing.

But either way, it was such a freaken awesomely strange great feeling.
#19 Old 02-05-2006, 10:09 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Absolut View Post

I think I had one of them once, but i was on something.. so not sure if it's the same sort of thing.

But either way, it was such a freaken awesomely strange great feeling.

yes hallucinogens are fun
#20 Old 02-05-2006, 10:10 PM
Veggie Regular

Jon, thanks for clarifying. No offense taken. I agree with you that a reasoned approach to these sorts of questions is sorely lacking in today's world. I don't necessarily agree that reason is the end-all be-all, however.

Indeed, Mick Jagger's half-time performance tonight defied every law of reason and linear progression. So there you go -- anything is possible.
#21 Old 02-05-2006, 10:12 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Indeed, Mick Jagger's half-time performance tonight defied every law of reason and linear progression. So there you go -- anything is possible.

#22 Old 02-05-2006, 10:13 PM
Veggie Regular

my mom claims to have seen her aura several times. one time she was meditating in bed and after some time she opened her eyes and her arms were elevated above her body. she didn't even realize it until she opened her eyes.
#23 Old 02-05-2006, 10:18 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satya View Post

my mom claims to have seen her aura several times. one time she was meditating in bed and after some time she opened her eyes and her arms were elevated above her body. she didn't even realize it until she opened her eyes.

excuse my ignorance but what exactly is one's aura?
#24 Old 02-05-2006, 10:30 PM
Veggie Regular

Aura

1 a : a subtle sensory stimulus (as an aroma) b : a distinctive atmosphere surrounding a given source <the place had an aura of mystery>

2 : a luminous radiation : NIMBUS

3 : a subjective sensation (as of lights) experienced before an attack of some disorders (as epilepsy or a migraine)

4 : an energy field that is held to emanate from a living being

it's basically the light of you spirit that surrounds each of us or as some believe. i tend to believe it, although i have never seen mine. the last definition is what i'm referring to.
#25 Old 02-05-2006, 11:14 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satya View Post

Aura

1 a : a subtle sensory stimulus (as an aroma) b : a distinctive atmosphere surrounding a given source <the place had an aura of mystery>

2 : a luminous radiation : NIMBUS

3 : a subjective sensation (as of lights) experienced before an attack of some disorders (as epilepsy or a migraine)

4 : an energy field that is held to emanate from a living being

it's basically the light of you spirit that surrounds each of us or as some believe. i tend to believe it, although i have never seen mine. the last definition is what i'm referring to.

You mean like an electro magnetic field? We all have a certain amount of capacitance associated with our bodies and if we so desire we could measure the electric field. This is why we affect AM/FM antennas when we get close and touch them.
#26 Old 02-06-2006, 04:41 AM
Veggie Regular

BDS - thanks for the clarification of sleep paralysis. I have had that happen and I don't like it! Scary!
#27 Old 02-07-2006, 02:28 PM
Banned

1 I don't know

2 Yes

3 There is no dichotomy between mental and physical. Something can be both mental and physical at the same time.

4 No comment

5 No comment

6 no comment

7 no comment

" I have experienced sleep paralysis on several occassions and understand why it might be interpreted as an OBE, but it isn't."

Why not? The question wasn't "do you actually leave your body when you get the feeling that you've left your body." The question was "is there such a thing as an out of body experience. You can experience things that aren't the way they are in reality For example, you can experience the sun moving across the hemisphere of the sky, once very 24-hour period. That is not what is happening, it is an illusion caused by the rotation of the earth, but that is what people tend to experience, anyway. The question was not "does the sun move across the sky." The question was, "have you experience the sun moving across the sky."
#28 Old 02-07-2006, 02:37 PM
Banned

I have had sleep paralysis, and it is as someone above described. However I have also had an out-of-body experience, and the 2 are different.

Neither needs to be frightening.

There is a 3rd experience which I call the "you-don't exist" experience. It also happens between sleep and wake-up. It is where your dreams are still happening, as in a sleep-paralysis experience, however instead of you self being transported to the dimension where your dream is, you just don't exist. Things happen, you don't know what they are. You have no memory of anything. As you come out of it, you struggle to think: who am I; where am I; what is this. Gradually you realize you are a human, and you are alive. But at first you think: huh? what is WHAT?
#29 Old 02-07-2006, 03:32 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by soilman View Post

1 I don't know

2 Yes

3 There is no dichotomy between mental and physical. Something can be both mental and physical at the same time.

4 No comment

5 No comment

6 no comment

7 no comment

" I have experienced sleep paralysis on several occassions and understand why it might be interpreted as an OBE, but it isn't."

Why not? The question wasn't "do you actually leave your body when you get the feeling that you've left your body." The question was "is there such a thing as an out of body experience. You can experience things that aren't the way they are in reality For example, you can experience the sun moving across the hemisphere of the sky, once very 24-hour period. That is not what is happening, it is an illusion caused by the rotation of the earth, but that is what people tend to experience, anyway. The question was not "does the sun move across the sky." The question was, "have you experience the sun moving across the sky."

good point. Perhaps I was interpreting the OP as suggesting OBE are something that actually happens that is metaphysical and unexplainable. Or some absurd action.
#30 Old 02-07-2006, 07:50 PM
Veggie Regular

Absolutley

They may be possible, though I have never had one.

I believe that our brains and bodies are wired for experiencing the sacred, making for no distinct difference between a mental thing and a spiritual thing.4) is it wrong for a human to have an OBE if it means going where humans don't go physically (aka...like walking into the bosses office when he's not in there to see...similar aspect is a human having an OBE when "God" might not be wanting said human to do such a thing)...

Hmm. If I am having the OBE, why is it against God's will? If I am doing something malicious in my OBE, or I don't do it for positive spiritual gain, then I think it may be wrong.

I feel reincarnation is a definite possibility, though I can't know for sure.

I do.

I can't answer that, because I don't know where humans go when they die. I believe in an afterlift, whether that is reincarnation, heaven, or a multidimensional afterlife where we still have lots of 'layers' to work through- who knows? I would like to think our animal friends and foes would be there with us, but perhaps they aren't. I think of souls as being very 'pure' and very similiar, however...as essence of life. So, I think animals would be there.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page