Your religious/spiritual beliefs??? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 10-11-2005, 10:21 AM
Banned

What are your religious and/or spiritual beliefs?

Who here at VB believes in God....or Gods?

I think we may have a diverse group of belief systems here so i thought it'd be interesting to find out where everyone stands. A survey by Animals Agenda magazine in the late 1990's found that 80% of Animal Rightists were atheist. I'm just curious as to how it holds true here.

Me, I believe in god......might be called a Christian but don't feel like I need to get all wrapped up in it.

How about some of you?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 10-11-2005, 10:37 AM
Banned

I'm an atheist with some pretty strong feelings of awe and worship in regards to the universe.
#3 Old 10-11-2005, 10:43 AM
Veggie Regular

Buddhist
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 10-11-2005, 10:44 AM
Veggie Regular

And you're right, the thread is very interesting
#5 Old 10-11-2005, 10:48 AM
Banned

agnostic with buddhist sympathies. I think I would call it metaphysical philosophy rather than religion or spirituality.

to make sure we're on the same page, what is a God or gods?

ebola
#6 Old 10-11-2005, 10:52 AM
Veggie Regular

Christian. Specifically Byzantine Catholic (similar to Eastern Orthodox in many ways (not so similar in other ways) but in communion with the Roman Catholic Church).

I am the user formerly known as MrsKey
#7 Old 10-11-2005, 10:58 AM
Banned

Yes, very interesting indeed.

God or gods? Well, some believe in God......call him what you will. But, perhaps some believe in Gods.....like in Greek mythology.

I was just trying to cater to everyone.....

I always find it interesting how/what people believe in, especially those that are interested in the earth, nature or preserving it. It is a grand universe isn't it !?!
#8 Old 10-11-2005, 11:08 AM
Veggie Regular

Thanks for this thread
#9 Old 10-11-2005, 11:10 AM
Banned

>>God or gods? Well, some believe in God......call him what you will. >>

well, yes, but what do we really MEAN when we say "god"?

ebola
#10 Old 10-11-2005, 11:16 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnome Chomsky View Post

>>God or gods? Well, some believe in God......call him what you will. >>

well, yes, but what do we really MEAN when we say "god"?

ebola

Perhaps to avoid the usual derail regarding the meaning of the meaning of meaning, this could be taken to a separate topic?

Generally, most who use the term "God" tend to mean a somewhat sentient and supernaturally potent entity described by a religion.
#11 Old 10-11-2005, 11:18 AM

I was baptized Catholic, but I don't read the bible much, or attend church very often. Right now I'm not very religious at all.. I'm just learning what I can about different things. There are so many interesting lifestyles, cultures, and religions out there!
#12 Old 10-11-2005, 11:33 AM
Veggie Regular

I am an atheist.
#13 Old 10-11-2005, 12:39 PM
Veggie Regular

When it comes to the judeo-christian-islamic god, I'm an atheist. For any other god or gods that might be out there (in reality or in people's beliefs), I'm an apathetic agnostic - I don't know and I don't care.
#14 Old 10-11-2005, 01:04 PM
Beginner

I'm a devoted atheist, though I would love for someone to prove me wrong.

I only believe in what I can see, so gods, ghosts, aliens, psychics, and anything supernatural are automatically crossed off the list.
#15 Old 10-11-2005, 01:12 PM
Veggie Regular

Jewish atheist with pagan sympathies.

*this space not for sale*
#16 Old 10-11-2005, 01:16 PM
Ankle Biter

I'm an ethical humanist and I'm a member of a Unitarian Church.

It is our choices that show what we truly are far more than our abilities. ~A. Dumbledore
#17 Old 10-11-2005, 01:22 PM
Vegan Police Officer

I am rather partial to the Greek and Roman gods myself. They lived such unusual lives. I mean, Kronos had this strange habit of eating all his children, for instance. And they'd argue with each all the time, steal each other's wives and husbands, throw each other out of heaven. The time that Mercury stole Apollo's cows was really something! Caused quite an uproar.

I think we should bring them back. They were so beautifully colourful. Not all staid and boring like the god most people worship today. This mono-god of the Jews, Christians and Muslims is so boring.
#18 Old 10-11-2005, 01:27 PM
Veggie Regular

I don't have confidence in the existence of gods but I like to think of the universe as peopled by them. I don't know what they are, if they exist, they are probably very different from what we think. I think Yahweh/Jehovah/Allah is an unpleasant fictional character who is given too much importance compared to other fictional characters such as Zeus or Odin.

I usually label myself "animist" sometimes "neo-pagan."
#19 Old 10-11-2005, 01:30 PM
Banned

I definitely believe in God, but I don't believe in a God who punishes people for being human, for experiencing the range of human experiences. I believe in a God who made us the way we are and that's okay--so if we lust after someone, that's okay. If we feel envy or get pissed at someone, that's okay too. I don't believe in so many rules. I believe as long as we aren't doing things that are clearly wrong, such as murder, stealing--things that our own inner moral compass would advise against--there should be no fear of punishment, of ending up in hell.

I found that so many Christians who define themselves as such go to church and worship and avoid "sin" because they are afraid of hell, not because they love God. I challenge each and every Christian here to tell me that's not the case. Because for the most part I believe it is. Christians are imperfect slobs too. They're scared of hell not because it means separation from God, but because it means eternal torture and hellfire, et al. This is my main argument against the kind of Christianity that was shoved down my throat when I was a kid.
#20 Old 10-11-2005, 01:52 PM
Veggie Regular

Oriecat has summed up my position pretty well. But I learned something very valuable from the Dalai Lama, and that's to evaluate religious traditions less in terms of whether they're "The Truth," and more in terms of whether they're good and helpful to people. From that perspective, I think we desperately need to bring the sacred feminine and the concept of Goddess back into our lives and our cultures. She has been banished for a long time, and I believe we are worse off, as people and as a planet, for Her absence. If I were going to get on board with any religious group, it would probably be a coven of Witches.

Also: ditto what Ludi said! "I think Yahweh/Jehovah/Allah is an unpleasant fictional character who is given too much importance compared to other fictional characters such as Zeus or Odin." I missed it the first time.
#21 Old 10-11-2005, 01:54 PM

Quote:
I definitely believe in God, but I don't believe in a God who punishes people for being human, for experiencing the range of human experiences. I believe in a God who made us the way we are and that's okay--so if we lust after someone, that's okay. If we feel envy or get pissed at someone, that's okay too. I don't believe in so many rules. I believe as long as we aren't doing things that are clearly wrong, such as murder, stealing--things that our own inner moral compass would advise against--there should be no fear of punishment, of ending up in hell.

If there's a god, this is exactly the kind I'd put my faith in. Actually, I agree with your entire post.
#22 Old 10-11-2005, 02:16 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesseract View Post

Oriecat has summed up my position pretty well. But I learned something very valuable from the Dalai Lama, and that's to evaluate religious traditions less in terms of whether they're "The Truth," and more in terms of whether they're good and helpful to people. From that perspective, I think we desperately need to bring the sacred feminine and the concept of Goddess back into our lives and our cultures. She has been banished for a long time, and I believe we are worse off, as people and as a planet, for Her absence. If I were going to get on board with any religious group, it would probably be a coven of Witches.

I dunno, I'm probably one of the few ex-pagan atheists out there, but I couldn't help but think that the need to anthropomorphize the universe led to a heck of a lot of problems. Too often, I think that pagans stretched way too far in trying to impose human dualities on the universe.
#23 Old 10-11-2005, 02:22 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm ethnically Jewish, but while I like a lot of Jewish tradition and ritual, I don't really believe in the Jewish God. I guess I'd call myself a Jewish Agnostic. I feel that there's some kind of "god" (a force, an energy?) in the universe, but I don't know what it is exactly and I can't say for sure it exists. I don't think it's possible to know for sure and I enjoy the mystery of that.
#24 Old 10-11-2005, 02:31 PM
Veggie Regular

I was raised a Christian (Assemblies of God). I later became a pagan, leaning towards Wiccan/Celtic beliefs. Now, I'm an agnostic. I'm not sure what, if any, higher power there is. But I believe that there is a spiritual side to our existence. As long as we choose to explore that side in a way that isn't detremental to others, then that's a wonderful thing.
#25 Old 10-11-2005, 02:48 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkjobsluder View Post

I dunno, I'm probably one of the few ex-pagan atheists out there, but I couldn't help but think that the need to anthropomorphize the universe led to a heck of a lot of problems. Too often, I think that pagans stretched way too far in trying to impose human dualities on the universe.

You would defintely be the first ex-pagan atheist I've ever met! And you're right... humans do seem to have a talent for taking good or OK ideas so far that they turn into bad ideas.
#26 Old 10-11-2005, 02:50 PM
Veggie Regular

Athiest, used to be a Christian, then switched to Quakerism, then to Agnosticism, and now atheism.
#27 Old 10-11-2005, 03:22 PM
Veggie Regular

open-minded pagan
#28 Old 10-11-2005, 04:32 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysteriouspoet View Post

I found that so many Christians who define themselves as such go to church and worship and avoid "sin" because they are afraid of hell, not because they love God. I challenge each and every Christian here to tell me that's not the case. Because for the most part I believe it is. Christians are imperfect slobs too. They're scared of hell not because it means separation from God, but because it means eternal torture and hellfire, et al. This is my main argument against the kind of Christianity that was shoved down my throat when I was a kid.

I am Chrsitian. I believe there's a God and I believe in God.

Hi MP. How are you? I hope you're well. I am well also. I was reading what you said. You said some interesting things. For me, I use to be afraid to go to hell. I didn't want to go. As many many Christians don't. I hope. This is real. Many many people do not believe in God because they don't see him. He is here. You have to think in a spiritual way. Not in the phsycial way.

You don't see God physically because he is spirit, but he's here. Look all around you. Look at the humans (I know that humans do bad things). But look at how our bodies are. God fixed everything so that it would run and function. Look at the birds, and dogs and all the animals in the world. I mean really look at them. Who or what made them? How did we all get here? God is miraculous. I see him everytime I look outside. Look at the grass and flowers and trees. They are awesome aren't they? What being could create all of this stuff. Look at you. You are a miracle. Who would creat somthing like you. He made everything in this world.

About fearing God. we are suppose to fear Him. Not in the sence of saying, ooooh no, I don't want to go to hell. Not like that. We should fear God because we know how powerful he is. We know that he is a gracious God. A loving and forgiving God. Fearing God like that gives us faith in him. It helps us to do what we need to do for God. Yeah I was afair to go to hell, but now I understand what this is all about. It's about servicing God.

Somebody wanted to know want God and gods mean. God referes to the all mighty God. The one that is above all others. The (god) here means gods that are made by MAN. You know like status or anything that is made or has been made by humans that they worship. Gods that or made by hand. There is only one God (capital g), but there can be many many gods. You understand that? Hope God. GBY.
#29 Old 10-11-2005, 04:36 PM
Veggie Regular

How very interesting. Look how many different people we already have. It means that animal rights awereness crosses all boundaries

#30 Old 10-11-2005, 04:53 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm a Christian. I grew up going to a Pentecostal church. The latest church I have attended is a non-denominational, slightly more liberal one. I haven't gone in a long time, though. I also really enjoy learning about other religions; I think I can learn and grow from taking a little bit from all types of religions rather than just one.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page