Should polygamy be legal? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 09-27-2005, 09:27 PM
Kiz
Veggie Regular

We've had a sort of debate about open relationships, but what about polygamy? Should it be legal? One husband lots of wives; one wife, lots of husbands; or a couple of wives living with a couple of husbands; I'm talking any and all of the above. I'm talking polygamy between consenting adults, not young girls being forced into marriages against their wills.

I was just watching a show about a cult in Utah, USA that practices polygamy. It seems that young girls were being coerced into polygamous marriages against their wills, and to me, that is very, very wrong. But really, if some adult woman is content to share her husband with a couple of other wives, I have no problem with that at all. Her choice as far as I'm concerned.

So what do you all think?

Love the post? Why not buy the T-shirt!
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=categorie&cat=8
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=product&info=94
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 09-27-2005, 09:47 PM
Veggie Regular

As long as they are all capable and willing to take proper care of any and all children they may have, I see no problem.
#3 Old 09-27-2005, 10:25 PM
Veggie Regular

my first inclination is to say no, it should not be legal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 09-27-2005, 10:30 PM
Veggie Regular

I think that it should not be legal because it will cause more societial problems than it will help take care of. This is just my opinion, however. Some might argue that polygamy would reduce divorce rates and take the pressure off of couples to be monagamous, therefore making relationships last. My take on the situation is that it will create unstable family structures and, it is a proven fact that limiting sexual partners is crucial to maintaining a properly functioning community/society.

But thats just me.
#5 Old 09-27-2005, 10:39 PM
Veggie Regular

polygamy isn't just about sex. just like marriage isn't just about sex. for some reason, it seems like people want to think that any relationship that is outside the heterosexual partnership (gay, poly, etc) is just based on sex.

I would supporrt any relationship that was willingly entered into, that allowed people to voluntarily leave, and that satisfied and fulfilled the people in it.
#6 Old 09-27-2005, 10:42 PM
Veggie Regular

I think it would be interesting to make it legal and see what happens.
#7 Old 09-27-2005, 10:48 PM
Banned

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!

A man should have one wife and a women one husband. How do I know this? God said it.
#8 Old 09-27-2005, 10:50 PM
Kiz
Veggie Regular

The trouble is, not everyone believes in the same God.

#9 Old 09-27-2005, 10:51 PM
Banned

No.

Legal marriage should be abolished (and it would perhaps be necessary to institute civil unions, assuming the continued existence of the state).

How come no one is asking about polyandry?

ebola
#10 Old 09-27-2005, 10:53 PM
Kiz
Veggie Regular

Because polyandry is a part of polygamy. Polygamy does not only refer to a husband and many wives, it can be a wife and many husbands.

#11 Old 09-27-2005, 10:57 PM
Banned

One mate. Both man and woman.
#12 Old 09-27-2005, 10:57 PM
Kiz
Veggie Regular

Polygyny is many wives, by they way. It is a form of polygamy also, obviously.

#13 Old 09-27-2005, 10:58 PM
Veggie Regular

i thought polygamy went both ways. I didn't even know polyandry was a word

learn something new every day.
#14 Old 09-27-2005, 10:58 PM
Banned

Hey Kiz, are you talking to me?
#15 Old 09-27-2005, 11:01 PM
Kiz
Veggie Regular

Polygamy does go both ways, Amy.

And in the "not everyone worships the same God" I was speaking to you, Naturalsusta. Or, if you like, some people worship the real God and other people worship false gods. But still, should we legislate what people believe in? Because some religions condone polygamy. Should some religions force their ideas on others?

#16 Old 09-27-2005, 11:05 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by OregonAmy View Post

I would supporrt any relationship that was willingly entered into, that allowed people to voluntarily leave, and that satisfied and fulfilled the people in it.

Exactly what I was going to say (though I would have never been able to word it that nicely).
#17 Old 09-27-2005, 11:36 PM
Banned

As long as no young girls or boys are being exploited, I don't really have much of a problem with polygamy if that's what rings ya bell. But ideally I'd prefer it everyone moved away from the whole traditional marriage thing into common law or civil unions.
#18 Old 09-27-2005, 11:39 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiz View Post

And in the "not everyone worships the same God" I was speaking to you, Naturalsusta. Or, if you like, some people worship the real God and other people worship false gods.

Or no god at all
#19 Old 09-27-2005, 11:46 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by astro View Post

As long as no young girls or boys are being exploited, I don't really have much of a problem with polygamy if that's what rings ya bell. But ideally I'd prefer it everyone moved away from the whole traditional marriage thing into common law or civil unions.

Adults too can be exploited. Often times they can be just as impressionable as the youngin's.

I agree about the traditional marriage thing.
#20 Old 09-28-2005, 12:12 AM
Veggie Regular

I don't see what's wrong with polygamy, if that's what people want to do. Our current marriage laws prevent underaged people from getting married, so I don't think that would really be an issue. Polygamy has existed in many cultures for centuries.

A friend of mine lives in a three-way relationship with a married couple. They all share one big bed and live very happily together.

I remember learning about polyandry in anthropology, except it was defined as a marriage between one woman and all the brothers in a particular family. As far as I remember, it was common in Tibet (I think). It was a useful social convention in a country where flat land for farming was very rare, and prevented it from being divided up amongst all the men in a family.
#21 Old 09-28-2005, 12:14 AM
Veggie Regular

I can't think of any reason it should be illegal.
#22 Old 09-28-2005, 12:27 AM
Vegan Police Officer

kpickell took the words more or less out of my mouth (didn't realise they were copyrighted, I except. ) . Except I was going to say "Can't think of any reasons why it should be illegal except for some religious groups."
#23 Old 09-28-2005, 12:27 AM
Kiz
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowlee View Post

I remember learning about polyandry in anthropology, except it was defined as a marriage between one woman and all the brothers in a particular family. .

That is fraternal polyandry, or "Adelphogamy".

#24 Old 09-28-2005, 12:33 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana View Post

except for some religious groups."

not sure what you mean here... it should be illegal for some religious groups?
#25 Old 09-28-2005, 12:38 AM
Vegan Police Officer

OregonAmy: No, I obviously need another cup of coffee. I meant that it would have to remain out of bounds for some religious groups like some Christian organisations (like Catholics for instance) because it goes against their beliefs. But they can make up their own minds. No-one should force a Catholic to marry more than one person. I mean, polygamy shouldn't be OBLIGATORY for anyone.

I don't see why anyone should be prevented from joining their lives with as many people he/she likes. And this would include joining lives with men AND women regardless. Like if he/she is bi-sexual, well, so be it.
#26 Old 09-28-2005, 12:50 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiz View Post

That is fraternal polyandry, or "Adelphogamy".

Now THAT is a cool word!

I think it's interesting that when polygamy is mentioned, it's almost always thought of as one man with many wives. Rarely the other way around.
#27 Old 09-28-2005, 12:54 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satya View Post

Adults too can be exploited. Often times they can be just as impressionable as the youngin's.

Thats absolutely true, but I don't feel quite the same sense of social conscience or responsibility towards an adult as I do with a 16 yr. old. If someone is 21 for example and they find themselves in an exploitive or abusive relationship of any kind, as unfortunate as that may be, it's their business not mine.
#28 Old 09-28-2005, 01:30 AM
Banned

>>Polygyny is many wives, by they way. It is a form of polygamy also, obviously.>>

whoops.

I didn't know these were different words.

My hearing kinda sux. XD

ebola
#29 Old 09-28-2005, 01:42 AM
Veggie Regular

Whatever makes people happy... I just can't see how a woman wouldn't end up getting jealous, if her husband was married to other women, even if she didn't have the intention to be. I also think that children raised in this type of envronment would be raised in a way I don't see as entirely right. I believe a child in order to be stable and normal ideally should have 2 parents- not 10... not saying anything about single parents or same sex parents- I know they can do a great job. But statistically 70% of males in jail/prison were raised without a father figure. I believe in the sanctity of relationships- straight or gay. If there's no loyalty or monogamy.... why have a relationship?? I've always disagreed with 'open' relationships. If you're going to be together- be together. If not, be bed buddies and nothing else. For me though, I've never been able to just have sex with someone and not feel anything for that person. Just me though.
#30 Old 09-28-2005, 01:45 AM
Veggie Regular

I'd also like to add that if it was legal, us women who want a man to ourselves would probably end up having a more difficult time fining one who wanted only us. It's hard enough finding one who won't cheat. Although I was lucky! BWAHAHAHA!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page