Peta info (Penn & Teller video) - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 09-14-2005, 07:22 PM

I'm sure some of the members here are PETA members and will disavow any of these goings on. But for those inclined to think for yourselves, I wanted to post this: thatvideosite.com/view/709.html Just copy and paste.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 09-14-2005, 07:32 PM
Beginner

oh god, not the bull**** guys... sigh
#3 Old 09-14-2005, 07:41 PM
Veggie Regular

Mommy, if I ignore the bad man, will he go away?

*this space not for sale*
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 09-14-2005, 07:44 PM
Beginner

:rollseyes so much that there is no smiley compatible: That is 100% bull ****. Besides, I liked a lot of the movies P and T gave a bad rating on.
#5 Old 09-14-2005, 07:46 PM
Veggie Regular

Why do all nonveggie's think we all worship PETA or something? That's just like saying all black people are thieves or all women are sluts. Totally wrong and totally offensive.

In before the lock!!!
#6 Old 09-14-2005, 07:47 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalteacup View Post

Why do all nonveggie's think we all worship PETA or something? That's just like saying all black people are thieves or all women are sluts. Totally wrong and totally offensive.

In before the lock!!!

Shut up and eat your head of lettuce veggie!

VeggieBoards Alumni Facebook Group

If you're an old time VB'er stop by and say hi!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#7 Old 09-14-2005, 07:55 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuthead View Post

I'm sure some of the members here are PETA members and will disavow any of these goings on. But for those inclined to think for yourselves, I wanted to post this: thatvideosite.com/view/709.html Just copy and paste.

LOL wolfgar you are too funny
#8 Old 09-14-2005, 08:24 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post

Shut up and eat your head of lettuce veggie!

Then can we have oatmeal?
#9 Old 09-14-2005, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaya View Post

LOL wolfgar you are too funny

Sorry, not Wolfgar. Now what? Everyone who disagrees with PETA or puts up something contrary to "The party line" is Wolfgar? Sorry to burst your bubble, but the supporters of that organization are becoming fewer and fewer as more of the general public sees them for what they are. Fanatics, extremists, and terrorists.
#10 Old 09-14-2005, 08:40 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Sorry, not Wolfgar. Now what? Everyone who disagrees with PETA or puts up something contrary to "The party line" is Wolfgar? Sorry to burst your bubble, but the supporters of that organization are becoming fewer and fewer as more of the general public sees them for what they are. Fanatics, extremists, and terrorists.

#11 Old 09-14-2005, 08:42 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Look, you're not blind. You've seen all the anti-PETA crap on VB in the past two days. Aren't you smart enough to know that making another thread is redundant and that the mods have already said to put anti-PETA topics in already existing anti-PETA threads. Adding more is just spam.

Also, just like wolfgar the only things you've said on VB are anti-PETA. If it quacks like a duck...
#12 Old 09-14-2005, 08:50 PM
Beginner

mods need to check nuthead's ip and see if it's identical to wolfgars.
#13 Old 09-14-2005, 09:14 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

the funny thing is, you just joined today and "already" you know exactly who Wolfgar is and what he's about. plus your only posts are anti-peta. wolfgar? yes.
#14 Old 09-14-2005, 10:11 PM
Veggie Regular

From what I've seen of veggieboards, while we have some people who are fond of peta, many of us dislike the organization for a variety of reasons.

I haven't seen the video though. The file size is a tad large for a slow connection, so I'm downloading it as I type.
#15 Old 09-14-2005, 10:16 PM
Veggie Regular

We already have a thread about the Penn & Teller video discussing PETA.

I like Penn & Teller. There were some interesting points in the video. The glossed over a lot of other points. It was a biased show. But I'm not going to repeat everything I already said in the other thread.

And why are you putting your text in bold italics.
#16 Old 09-14-2005, 10:24 PM
Veggie Regular

Yay! I love Penn & Teller.

I don't like PETA, and this makes me not like PETA more...

Single vegetarian for 19 years seeks tasty vegetables to devour. Reply only if interested in being consumed whole.
#17 Old 09-14-2005, 11:13 PM
Kiz
Veggie Regular

I didn't think Wolfgar would stay away. Sorry, not Wolfgar, Wolfgar's twin brother, Nuthead. Good name by the way.

Love the post? Why not buy the T-shirt!
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=categorie&cat=8
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=product&info=94
#18 Old 09-14-2005, 11:14 PM
Administrator

Please stick to the topic. Thanks.

VeggieBoards Alumni Facebook Group

If you're an old time VB'er stop by and say hi!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#19 Old 09-14-2005, 11:58 PM
Vegan Police Officer

Has this person's IP addresses been compared with those that Wolfgar used?

Peta rocks!
#20 Old 09-15-2005, 12:20 AM
Veggie Regular

Wolfgar and nuthead have completely different styles of writing. Wolfgar thought that repeating his posts over and over and over again would gain him more attention. Whereas nuthead thinks that making his posts stand out big and bold will gain him more attention.

ETA: Oops, just saw Michael's post. The topic.... That show aired last season, so I don't know if P&T's website still has the message board up, but a lot of good points were posted on the message board back when the show first aired.

BTW I do believe the link in the OP leads to an illegal unauthorized feed of the show, if that matters.
#21 Old 09-15-2005, 12:37 AM
Veggie Regular

Could well be part of the same group trying to discredit PETA, though.

Anyway, Penn & Teller are proof of nothing, except that anyone with a reasonable fan base can get a cheap, crappy show on TV, with the right connections. Doesn't make them intelligent. If it's the episode I think it is -- and I watched it -- it's just plain stupid. I was hoping for a lot more, honestly. Don't know what I was thinking...
#22 Old 09-15-2005, 01:51 AM

I rather like Penn & Teller's Bull**** show. Very comical, and has some good information on things. That being said, I think much of what they have to say about PETA is true, but then again, I think peta is an awful organization. I mean, most of the things they do in regards to actually helping animals I commend them for, but there's just so much more stuff they do thats wrong, to me. There's better orginzations out there. And that being said, I think ALF is an awful group too... the things they do are just completely criminal, and there are so many better ways they could go about doing their things, rather than potentially putting many people at risk, and serious destruction of property.

Its these two groups that makes the rest of the world have a bad opinion about vegetarians and vegans, and they only further to make us synonomous with firebombing.
#23 Old 09-15-2005, 01:53 AM
Veggie Regular

I finally watched the show. There was a lot of strawmen and other logical fallacies.

For example, Penn & Teller bring up the issue of slaughtering animals, and implies that it is the only relevant issue in raising livestock. Then they dismiss it by saying that slaughter, by nature, will be distasteful. This ignores the distinction between human slaughter and inhuman slaughter and also ignores the problems with how animals are kept before slaughter on some modern factory farms.

I never saw the series before this. The idea sounded interesting -- promote ideas that run counter to "common knowledge". But if this show is any example of the series, I don't think I'll mind missing it. If Penn & Teller are capable of misrepresenting the ideas they are criticizing, and can't understand basic logic, the show is worthless to me. I don't want to fill my head with misinformation, and I don't have time to spend hours fact checking every time I watch an episode.

I guess the show was aptly named.
#24 Old 09-15-2005, 02:04 AM

Well tahts the things with these shows. you're not supposed to watch them and use them for informational gain. You're supposed to watch them, already pretty well educated on the facts. At least, thats what I think <shrugs> I don't gauge the facts of things based purely on what the show says, I have already done my research on most of the things they discuss, in the past.
#25 Old 09-15-2005, 06:39 AM
Veggie Regular

The video clip made no sense and was a waste of time imo.
#26 Old 09-15-2005, 08:33 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitof99 View Post

Yay! I love Penn & Teller.

They ROCK!
#27 Old 09-15-2005, 10:50 PM
Banned

Awwww mannnnn, I can't watch the video. It said something about I didn't have the right plug-in? Whatever that is. I'm mad. Haha. Goodness.

Monika
#28 Old 09-16-2005, 04:09 AM
Veggie Regular

Theyre gig doesnt really do anything for me either but theyre good at their style.

Theyre first and foremost a comedic team so anyone thats gonna follow their word as gospel needs a cold shower to wake up.
#29 Old 09-16-2005, 04:41 AM
Veggie Regular

They call their show "Bullsh*t, and I guess that it's the televisual equivalent of ronseal.

I'm not for PETA, and I'd be happy to see PETA disband. However, you can tell from the offset that there's contempt for vegetarians.
#30 Old 09-16-2005, 08:10 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshTart View Post

They ROCK!

In 1999, I was living in Wilmington, NC, and my friend bought me a ticket to see Penn & Teller live in Myrtle Beach, SC with him. It's just an hour drive, but the thing is he was driving a truck for a seafood place. His job was to bring the seafood to various restaurants strung between there and Myrtle Beach. So he said, "well, you'll have to ride with me in the fish truck."

Oh man, this truck was actually a cargo van with no refridgeration and nothing stopping the melted sludge from the iced fish and such in the back from travelling around the van. It was maddeningly disgusting to smell, but moreover, anytime he stopped, the sludge would come racing to the front of the van and splash in to a curl and slap back at your feet.

Man, it was a ride for sure. The smart thing is that we packed some clothes in plastic bags so that we could change when we got there. We tried to eat at a Olive Garden, but the wait time for a table was about an hour. So we took advantage of the bathroom and changed in there and then left to find food elsewhere. (Mind you, this was before I realized Olive Garden didn't serve anything for vegetarians...)

The show was great, afterwards Penn & Teller came out to do a meet and greet in the lobby. We were just sitting on the steps not wanting to return to the van and endure the stench for the hour long ride home. I noticed Penn looking at us kind of funny, I wondered if we still smelled of fish.

Single vegetarian for 19 years seeks tasty vegetables to devour. Reply only if interested in being consumed whole.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page