FEMA preventing journalists from taking photos of recovered bodies - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 09-07-2005, 11:49 AM

A pic says a thousand words, and I'm sure BushCo wants as few words floating around as possible.

-------------------------------

http://www.commondreams.org/headlines05/0907-08.htm

Published on Wednesday, September 7, 2005 by The Australian

Agency Blocks Photos of Flood Dead

The US Government agency leading the rescue efforts after Hurricane Katrina does not want the news media to take photographs of the dead as they are recovered from the flooded New Orleans area.

The Federal Emergency Management Agency, heavily criticised for its slow response to the devastation caused by the hurricane, rejected requests from journalists to accompany rescue boats as they went out to search for storm victims.

An agency spokeswoman said space was needed on the rescue boats and that "the recovery of the victims is being treated with dignity and the utmost respect".

"We have requested that no photographs of the deceased be made by the media," the spokeswoman said in an e-mailed response to a Reuters inquiry.

The Bush administration also has prevented the news media from photographing flag-draped caskets of US soldiers killed in Iraq, which has sparked criticism that the Government is trying to block images that put the war in a bad light.

Please see above link for full story

© Copyright 2005 The Australian
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 09-07-2005, 12:02 PM
Banned

Sounds reasonable. I doubt the victims families want to see their bodies on the front page.

And heaven forbid space on rescue boats be reserved for, get this, people they are trying to rescue.

But hey, why pass up a chance to take a shot at Bush, even if it is for the failure of New Orleans to have an evacuation plan?
#3 Old 09-07-2005, 12:13 PM
Veggie Regular

I agree. I think it's disrespectful to take pictures of the deceased like that. And seeing a picture on the front page of a newspaper is *not* the way someone needs to find out their loved one is dead.

Besides, if there is no room on the rescue boats for dogs and cats, there certainly better not be room for journalists.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 09-07-2005, 12:18 PM
Veggie Regular

I agree with what Wolfie and Tame said. They don't release the names of the dead until the victim is identified in other cases and Katrina should not be the exception. A media shot to get higher ratings and show people devastation is not a good reason to be disrespectful.

"Besides, if there is no room on the rescue boats for dogs and cats, there certainly better not be room for journalists."

Damn skippy.
#5 Old 09-07-2005, 12:21 PM

"But hey, why pass up a shot to take a shot at Bush, even if it is for the failure of New Orleans to have an evacuation plan?"

They wouldn't have needed an evacuation plan to cope with a situation like this if the requested funds had been provided and made their way to upgading the levees. If Bush isn't responsible for anything at all, why do we have a President anyway?
#6 Old 09-07-2005, 12:35 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbphburg View Post

"But hey, why pass up a shot to take a shot at Bush, even if it is for the failure of New Orleans to have an evacuation plan?"

They wouldn't have needed an evacuation plan to cope with a situation like this if the requested funds had been provided and made their way to upgading the levees. If Bush isn't responsible for anything at all, why do we have a President anyway?

The levees have needed the money for 30 years. No one else approved it, and from what I read, even if it had been approved in 2001 the work would not have been close to completion. And FTR, sunshine, the president submits a budget, Congress votes on it. Technically, all the president can do is request funds. As no one in Congress bucked much over this - in the last 30 years - seems it wasn't considered a priority by anyone.

I tell ya what, take a civics class sometime and then head in here to talk with the big kids. Until then, listen and learn.
#7 Old 09-07-2005, 12:39 PM
Veggie Regular

i can't imagine who would actually want to take and publish photos of the dead. i would expect it to even anger the readers of a publication that did so.
#8 Old 09-07-2005, 12:40 PM

jbphurg: https://www.veggieboards.com/boards/s...ad.php?t=42846

Do not post copyrighted material.
#9 Old 09-07-2005, 01:35 PM

Tame, you're such a conceited obnoxious troll, really full of yourself, and other things as well.
#10 Old 09-07-2005, 01:38 PM

Doesn't seem unreasonable to expect a little dignity and respect for those who lost their lives in New Orleans. These people have been traumatized enough already.

Perhaps the Journalists could better spend their time finding out why they could come up with buses to evacuate victims after the flooding but couldn't have a plan to evacuate the poor, who had no way to get out, before the storm when an evacuation was called for.

Oops, that wouldn't sell papers would it?
#11 Old 09-07-2005, 01:40 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Tame, you're such a conceited obnoxious troll, really full of yourself, and other things as well.

nice. first you were naiive enough to politicize this tragedy, and when your spade is called, you resort to insults. too bad you and more of those like you who confuse the issue toward your own political leanings aren't floating in the water down there.
#12 Old 09-07-2005, 01:45 PM
Banned

Quote:

Conceited? Yes.

Obnoxious? Whenever possible, and at least somewhat socially acceptable.

Troll? Nuh-uh, sunshine. I have been chillin' at VB since the bad old days, and I was a mod for well over 2 years. I even have my own icon.

Thing is, when you want to come in and run copy'n'paste articles with no understanding of the actual issues, I will pull your card. I don't want to do it, I have to. It's what I do.
#13 Old 09-07-2005, 01:46 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortableKitten View Post

Perhaps the Journalists could better spend their time finding out why they could come up with buses to evacuate victims after the flooding but couldn't have a plan to evacuate the poor, who had no way to get out, before the storm when an evacuation was called for.

Oops, that wouldn't sell papers would it?

Probably not worth an article. The answer is simple - really poor planning.
#14 Old 09-07-2005, 01:46 PM

"first you were naiive enough to politicize this tragedy,"

There is a political element to this tragedy, check the media.

"and when your spade is called,"

That 'spade' being?

"too bad you and more of those like you who confuse the issue toward your own political leanings aren't floating in the water down there."

So you wish death upon me and my 'kind', nice
#15 Old 09-07-2005, 03:16 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

LMFAO. This says it all folks.
#16 Old 09-07-2005, 05:04 PM
Banned

Quote:

Generally I don't defend Tame. He is a big boy and well able to take care of himself as you shall learn to your discomfort. But isn't name calling against the TOS? Troll? Troll? If you think Tame is a troll, you wouldn't know one if it bit you on the nose.

Now back to the subject. I was speaking to a refugee who said the gators and sharks had moved in to eat on the dead. Photos like those would simply be for cheap sensationalism and the almighty dollar. There would be the lowest of the low to do to the dead and their families.
#17 Old 09-07-2005, 09:37 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Quote:
LMFAO. This says it all folks.

^^^ Agreed. How sad.
#18 Old 09-08-2005, 01:52 AM
Veggie Regular

I have to mostly disagree with blocking the photographing of the bodies.

From a future historical perspective, I think a few images could be a poignant view of how tragic the event was. Images reach deeper than words can sometimes.

Just an example: http://www.amherst.edu/~mead/exhibit...ges/Napalm.jpg

I've seen this disturbing photo before and I can feel so much more by seeing the photo than if I read the description alone. This famous photo is of Kim Phuc, as a little girl, running naked down a road with her flesh still burning from a napalm strike.

It's these types of images that can capture something no words could ever describe.

Now, my little bit of agreement with not allowing the photos is due to my respect for those who have died and their relatives. Even so, I believe that someone can still tastefully portray the dead to achieve the same effect while maintaining anonymity.

With that said, I see it as a 'damage control' technique to prevent the media from showing such things as flag draped coffins and bodies floating in temporal abandonment. I believe that carpet blocking photos by the media is a violation of true journalism.

I did watch CNN with Anderson Cooper which showed one body floating by a car as they made their way down a street. It truly was a haunting feeling to know this was not the only one.

Single vegetarian for 19 years seeks tasty vegetables to devour. Reply only if interested in being consumed whole.
#19 Old 09-08-2005, 04:12 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Does that mean all us who agree with him on this point are trolls too? I don't see why it's bad that the government is protecting families from seeing their loved ones exploited to sell newspapers. It's not like they're trying to cover up the fact that a great tragedy occurred. We know people died, I don't need the media's exploitation to know this.
#20 Old 09-08-2005, 05:03 AM
Banned

I am sure they have morgue photos and police photographers taking pictures, but I am against public publication. When the federal building was bombed in Oklahoma City, many photos were taken of the back side of the building, but you saw none published. Those photos would have been too horrific to publish also. A photographer told me what he had to record for the police. The visible carnage was too terrible. Even years later, he still has night mares of what he saw and has fought depression every since.
#21 Old 09-08-2005, 05:18 AM
Banned

I'm fairly certain that there will be pictures of the dead released anyway, so the discussion is probably moot.
#22 Old 09-08-2005, 06:05 AM
Ankle Biter

Of course any photograph where you could identify a specific person would be horrible, but photographs of the situation from a distance would give credibiltiy to the stories circulating and help ensure that the bodies were treated with dignity. Why not have photographs of the remains in body bags? It certainly would serve to emphasize the tragedy. I don't like the idea of FEMA trying to protect me from my emotions. And the Pres surely does more than ask the congress for money - why he also tries to make sure his wealthy friends don't pay too much in taxes.

It is our choices that show what we truly are far more than our abilities. ~A. Dumbledore
#23 Old 09-08-2005, 06:39 AM
Veggie Regular

^^^ Agreed.

I don't need the media to edit their speech or photographs to please me. They should tell the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth. Sure, it would be nice and responsible of them not to show photos that can identify the bodies out of respect for their families. But outside of that, they should show us everything. It happened. It really is that tragic. It should be seen by all.

I have a big beef with the media not sharing information. You really have to dig to get the truth on a lot of things that happen in the world, as many very interesting things never make it into the mainstream media. We don't need even more editing and we shouldn't encourage it if we ever want to know the truth about anything.
#24 Old 09-08-2005, 06:44 AM
Veggie Regular

There's a difference between the media telling the whole truth, and the media interupting a families right to privacy. If it was your mother they were showing drowned, bloated and bloody on the cover a newmagazine, you might think differently.
#25 Old 09-08-2005, 06:45 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpickell View Post

There's a difference between the media telling the whole truth, and the media interupting a families right to privacy. If it was your mother they were showing drowned, bloated and bloody on the cover a newmagazine, you might think differently.

Again, let me say that I think it's great they they don't show identifiable bodies out of respect for the families. That doesn't mean they shouldn't show bodies at all. Please read my entire post next time.
#26 Old 09-08-2005, 07:54 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitof99 View Post

Now, my little bit of agreement with not allowing the photos is due to my respect for those who have died and their relatives. Even so, I believe that someone can still tastefully portray the dead to achieve the same effect while maintaining anonymity.

Yep, nothing like being in a shelter somewhere, desperately trying to contact a missing relative, and then seeing their dead body broadcast on CNN.
#27 Old 09-08-2005, 07:57 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post

Again, let me say that I think it's great they they don't show identifiable bodies out of respect for the families. That doesn't mean they shouldn't show bodies at all. Please read my entire post next time.

Pay attention to what the journalists are complaining about. Do you really think FEMA employees and other rescue workers need burdened not only by journalists looking for morbid pictures, but also hoping that they only publish pictures of "non-identifiable" bodies.

Guess what. This ain't about you, or what you want to see from either morbid curiousity or political spite. It is about respecting the dead and their families.

What "truth" will these pictures reveal? What insight can they show that we don't already know? None.
#28 Old 09-08-2005, 08:08 AM
Banned

Well, it's damned if you do, damned if you don't. Documentary photos of the Galveston hurricane did a lot to elevate the city and build the seawall. Its a tough call either way.
#29 Old 09-08-2005, 08:09 AM
Ankle Biter

What "truth" will a ban on pictures reveal? And insight implies seeing...

Moreover, what could be more respectful to the Katrina dead than for us to be agonized by the waste and tragedy of the whole situation. Yes, we love seeing people resuced from the rooftops, but we also need to know, really know, what happened to the many who couldn't be rescued in time. Why would we want our gov't to sugar-coat the worst of this horrible mess?

It is our choices that show what we truly are far more than our abilities. ~A. Dumbledore
#30 Old 09-08-2005, 08:20 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppy View Post

What "truth" will a ban on pictures reveal? And insight implies seeing...

Is that even supposed to make sense? Or was it just a desperate attempt to try and use my own words against me? Either way, no dice.

I don't recall making an argument that not showing the pictures would reveal anything. I do recall stating that protecting their loved ones from finding out about their deaths from some hack reporter was more important. Perhaps you should actually read what I wrote? Thanks.

Quote:

Moreover, what could be more respectful to the Katrina dead than for us to be agonized by the waste and tragedy of the whole situation. Yes, we love seeing people resuced from the rooftops, but we also need to know, really know, what happened to the many who couldn't be rescued in time. Why would we want our gov't to sugar-coat the worst of this horrible mess?

We know what happened. They died. No secrets there. Not sure how you sugar coat that. I guess you simply can't understand that we are respecting the dead and their families.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page