John the Baptist - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 07-06-2005, 02:29 PM

Was John a Nazarite or did he eat insects as the english version of the bible says?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-06-2005, 02:39 PM
Banned

Does it really matter?
#3 Old 07-06-2005, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshTart View Post

Does it really matter?

it evidently does not matter to you. Does your previous post matter?

i was wondering what people thought about the eating habits of a famous prophet, was he vegetarian or not. there is no need for your condescending attitude.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 07-06-2005, 03:07 PM
Veggie Regular

My Bible states he ate locusts and honey, so I am pretty sure he was an Omni. HTH
#5 Old 07-06-2005, 03:13 PM

but he is listed as a Nazarite by Epiphanius(a church father in the 4th century who is orthodox and known for eliminating "heretical" writings. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epiphanius_of_Salamis . Nazarites do not eat flesh, animal or insect. He is also listed by Robert Eisenman as a Nazarite.

I know english translations say he ate locusts, but should it say he ate the fruit of the locust tree(carobs) instead of he ate locusts? or was Epiphanius basing his statement on heretical writings?
#6 Old 07-06-2005, 03:13 PM
Administrator

Quote:

Does it really matter?

If you don't want to discuss the topic then please stay out of it. Thanks.

VeggieBoards Alumni Facebook Group

If you're an old time VB'er stop by and say hi!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#7 Old 07-06-2005, 03:15 PM
Banned

Perhaps a religious vegetarian board would know more about this? This is a very obscure question.

And for my previous post, at no point did you say why you were interested in knowing or why this is important. So, from that point of view, it doesn't matter. If you are basing your life choices on his life choices, then it does matter.
#8 Old 07-06-2005, 03:16 PM
Banned

Michael - cross post.
#9 Old 07-06-2005, 03:50 PM
Veggie Regular

I dont know who listed him where. It has always been my belief that Nazarene meant he was from Nazareth, as in Jesus of Nazareth. Not that it was his religion or belief.
#10 Old 07-06-2005, 03:57 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Chevious View Post

I dont know who listed him where. It has always been my belief that Nazarene meant he was from Nazareth, as in Jesus of Nazareth. Not that it was his religion or belief.

Exactly. Nazareth was his region, not his religion. If he ate locusts and wild honey, he wasn't a vegan.
#11 Old 07-06-2005, 04:00 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by catgirl67 View Post

If he ate ... honey, he wasn't a vegan.

Depends on who you ask

/ducks and runs
#12 Old 07-06-2005, 05:02 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Depends on who you ask

/ducks and runs

Whom you ask *Ducks and Runs*

I agree that it was his region and not religion, though, so he probably did eat those things.
#13 Old 07-06-2005, 06:11 PM
Veggie Regular

*puts on bible scholar hat*

If I remember correctly, Church of the Nazarene was founded in the 1905 (I think I'm off by a few years but I do remember it was sometime in the last century). John the Baptist lived around 31 A.D. so I would safely say that John the Baptist was called a Nazarine because he was from Nazareth and not because he was part of the Nazarine denomination.

Weather JtB ate locusts or ate from the locust tree - I'm not entirely sure. Perhapse if you have say an original Greek text bible that can be sorted out easily. As you know there are some things in one language that don't translate well to other languages so often it's necessary to go back to the original writings to decypher the original meaning.

*removes Bible scholar hat*
#14 Old 07-06-2005, 09:05 PM
Veggie Regular

Everyone, the OP asked if he was a Nazarite, not a Nazarene.
#15 Old 07-06-2005, 09:22 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikie View Post

Everyone, the OP asked if he was a Nazarite, not a Nazarene.

Thank you. :-D I was surprised that the person with a Bible scholar hat didn't catch that.

As far as whether John the Baptist actually ate locusts and wild honey, wore camels' hair clothing, and roamed in the wilderness calling people to repentence, I've yet to hear a serious critique of it. Maybe I'm in the wrong area or read the wrong stuff. It doesn't significantly impact my faith either way.

Q: How many poets does it take to change a light bulb? A: 1001...one to change the bulb, 1000 to say it's already been done.
#16 Old 07-06-2005, 09:58 PM
cyk
Veggie Regular

I don't think he was vegetarian... but that would be kinda cool if he was!

I'm guessing he did eat locusts like it says in the bible... It was 'clean' for food... the one with two jumping legs... I think.
#17 Old 07-07-2005, 06:27 AM
Veggie Regular

John the Baptist was not a Nazirite (though Jesus may have been). John the Baptiste was a desert hermit who then became a wandering teacher/prophet. he follows that common pattern (desert hermit).
#18 Old 07-07-2005, 11:50 AM

Numbers 6:2 "Speak unto the children of Israel, and say unto them, When either man or woman shall separate [themselves] to vow a vow of a Nazarite, to separate [themselves] unto the LORD:"

quite different than nazarene. Although Nazareth may very well have been nemed so because of having so many Nazarites there.

here is a cool site http://essenes.net/nofish.html

it talks about their perspective of the first christians' diet
#19 Old 07-07-2005, 12:18 PM
Banned

Quote:

Depends on who you ask

/ducks and runs

Michael! Krista's trying to turn me on again!
#20 Old 07-07-2005, 04:09 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by skylark View Post

Thank you. :-D I was surprised that the person with a Bible scholar hat didn't catch that

*snort*

Misread question. It happens.
#21 Old 07-07-2005, 05:08 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4EverGrounded View Post

*snort*

I misread it too!
#22 Old 07-07-2005, 05:10 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

*snort*

I know. But you DID claim to act as a Bible scholar when answering what you thought was the question, so one would expect you to read with scholarly attention.

Anyway... Does anyone have links or research to share?

Q: How many poets does it take to change a light bulb? A: 1001...one to change the bulb, 1000 to say it's already been done.
#23 Old 07-07-2005, 05:35 PM
Veggie Regular

AGAIN.

I THOUGHT I did read it well enough and with "scholarly attention". But I misread the question. I guess you've never had that happen a day in your life? Lucky you.
#24 Old 07-07-2005, 05:43 PM

i actually found the question here: http://www.religiousforums.com/forum...ad.php?t=14956

i wanted to see what people thought on a veggie forum.
#25 Old 07-07-2005, 05:55 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

AGAIN.

I THOUGHT I did read it well enough and with "scholarly attention". But I misread the question. I guess you've never had that happen a day in your life? Lucky you.

Whoa, settle down. I didn't intend to attack you, and I apologize if that is how my words were interpreted.

#26 Old 07-07-2005, 06:08 PM
Veggie Regular

I wondered about this when I first went veggie... someone told me that "locust" referred to the bean of the locust tree (which I've never heard of). I looked up "locust" in my good ole Webster's and there was a discription and a picture. The beans are actually shaped like the bug, which is where the tree gets it's name. The tree is indigenous to that area and also nick named "St. Johns Bread". Soooo... I'm sold!
#27 Old 07-07-2005, 11:36 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie View Post

I wondered about this when I first went veggie... someone told me that "locust" referred to the bean of the locust tree (which I've never heard of). I looked up "locust" in my good ole Webster's and there was a discription and a picture. The beans are actually shaped like the bug, which is where the tree gets it's name. The tree is indigenous to that area and also nick named "St. Johns Bread". Soooo... I'm sold!

That's awesome! I love this kind of stuff. In high school, in my Romeo and Juliet, the story was on the right pages and on the left pages were hundreds of notes that explained every single word and phrase that they expected us to not know. I wish someone would write a bible like that.
#28 Old 07-08-2005, 08:38 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikie View Post

I wish someone would write a bible like that.

New Living Translation Life Application Study Bible is about as close as it's going to get! It's written like a novella instead of documentation, and nearly every verse is footnoted with explanation and reference to what other versions state (NIV, KJV, NAS). It also has references to the books that aren't in the KJV (like when the Bible says "we know from the book of such and such" and there's no "such and such" in the Bible...it tells you what the text was, what it means, and how it connects to what you are reading now.)

It wasn't until reading this version of the Bible, that I understood that "pulse" meant "vegetable" meaning Daniel and his three friends (and the men they were given charge of in a test) were vegetarian! AND that they ended up being proved stronger,faster, healthier, all around better...Because of it!
#29 Old 07-08-2005, 09:57 AM
Veggie Regular

Oh wow! That sounds great.

I've read a great deal of the bible, here and there, but I've always wanted to read it front to back. If it had footnotes it would be so much more interesting.
#30 Old 07-08-2005, 03:14 PM
Joe
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yirmeyahu720 View Post

Was John a Nazarite or did he eat insects as the english version of the bible says?

This is really several questions, and one implied question or statement. I've tried to answer this several times, but my browser locked up. So I will give you a brief answer, and then fill in the details or citations later.

1) Was John a Nazarite? According to the Catholic Encyclopedia, John was never explicitly called a Nazarite in Scripture, but was "generally reckoned" to be one.

See http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/10727a.htm

2) Did he eat insects as the English version of the Bible says? Yes. According to Vine's Expository Dictionary of the Bible, the word translated as "locust" (akris) is the Greek word for locust, i.e., the insect or animal.

3) Were Nazarites vegetarians? This is your implied question. I have seen no authoritative information that indicates that Nazarites were vegetarians or required to be vegetarians. The article in the Catholic Encyclopedia implies that they were not, since they were instructed to "purify" themselves in case of defilement by offering animal sacrifices--rather illogical for a vegetarian.

So, yes, he was probably a Nazarite, but no, he was not a vegetarian.

Yes, I've read some of the posts in the other forum you cited, including their quotations from apocryphal books, but just find those sources unconvincing.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page