I hate opinionating (Not a word, but it should be) - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 06-27-2005, 07:09 PM
Veggie Regular

"Opinionating" is a word that I have made up. It means "forcing your opinions on other people as facts." My dad does this all the time, telling me that Star Wars and Yu-Gi-Oh are stupid and silly. I've heard a lot of it in conjunction with Pokemon and other fads that are predominantly enjoyed by younger people. The opinionater claims that a person should have "outgrown" Pokemon by now. Hey, if it makes people happy, who are you to tell them that they shouldn't do it? Maybe this isn't really a Heap thread, but tell me what you think and share examples of opinionating if you like.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-27-2005, 07:45 PM

So that's his opinion, he isn't actually forcing it on you unless he makes you stop playing with your toys. Your opinion is that you should play with your toys. You both have opinions, which conflict with the other persons... its all part of being human. Some people will say you should have grown out of your yu-gi-oh by now, but then the 35 year old single balding males wearing capes at the yu-gi-oh convention will completely disagree.
#3 Old 06-27-2005, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pasta>Cruelty View Post

Maybe this isn't really a Heap thread, but tell me what you think and share examples of opinionating if you like.

You mean like opinionating that grammar and good spelling on a message board is of such vital importance that people should be happy to have their errors pointed out to them? Or opinionating that people who have bad spelling are uneducated and/or stupid?

Sorry - it was just too good to pass up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 06-27-2005, 07:55 PM
Veggie Regular

Opinionating is a stupid and silly word!

*blink* Sorry. I couldn't think of anything else right now.
#5 Old 06-27-2005, 07:57 PM
Veggie Regular

"Opinionating is a stupid and silly word!"

----------

That's your opinion
#6 Old 06-27-2005, 08:01 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by dk_art View Post

"Opinionating is a stupid and silly word!"

----------

That's your opinion

#7 Old 06-27-2005, 08:09 PM
Veggie Regular

Upon thourough examination, we will find that the fact/opinion dichotomy cannot be maintained.

ebola
#8 Old 06-27-2005, 08:13 PM
Veggie Regular

[QUOTE=mouse]You mean like opinionating that grammar and good spelling on a message board is of such vital importance that people should be happy to have their errors pointed out to them? Or opinionating that people who have bad spelling are uneducated and/or stupid?

I learned long ago in linguistics that "correct" language usage is a mighty tool which the ruling class uses to keep the lower classes down. This has been going on for centuries. So I like opinionating!

Seriously, if someone has an opinion they are pushing on you, they should back it up with facts.
#9 Old 06-27-2005, 08:23 PM
Veggie Regular

[QUOTE=cymbeline]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mouse View Post

You mean like opinionating that grammar and good spelling on a message board is of such vital importance that people should be happy to have their errors pointed out to them? Or opinionating that people who have bad spelling are uneducated and/or stupid?

I learned long ago in linguistics that "correct" language usage is a mighty tool which the ruling class uses to keep the lower classes down. This has been going on for centuries. So I like opinionating!

Seriously, if someone has an opinion they are pushing on you, they should back it up with facts.

Opinion: You should have outgrown Yu-Gi-Oh by now.

Fact: Males past the age of 11 still playing with that crap will never get laid.

Oh, blasted. Did I type that aloud??

(I'm only kidding...this thread seems to be that kind of 'just can't pass it up' medium...)

Cheers!
#10 Old 06-27-2005, 08:32 PM
Veggie Regular

People dissing what you love just because you love it are bores but that's just my opinion.

Collecting and things like Pokemon and Yu-Gi-Oh appeal to children's innate sense of delight in collecting and "completeness". Many adults never outgrow the comforts of collecting but switch to more "adult" things like coins or stamps or expensive antiques. It amounts to the same thing and it stimulates and soothes the same part of the brain. If your dad collects ANYTHING then feel free to make fun of him.

Before Pokemon came along people, esp. children collected butterflies, stones, four-leafed clovers. You name it. It's a very human trait and unless it's taking up all your time or money or you start collecting cats or your feces in little jars I would not let other people's hang-ups get to you. Tell him he's making you neurotic and that he will be responsible for your therapy if he keeps harrassing you. Or tell him that in deference to his opinion that your tastes are too juvenile you switching to collecting Playboy. That'll learn him.

But that's just MY opinion.

I helped my stepson collect Pokemon for years. He's now 12 and still digs them. He's sharing his collection with his half-sister, my daughter, and is teaching her a dumbed down version of the card game. He's funded his snowboarding obsession by selling off some of his nicer cards.

d
#11 Old 06-27-2005, 08:36 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebola View Post

Upon thourough examination, we will find that the fact/opinion dichotomy cannot be maintained.

ebola

Is that a fact, or an opinion?
#12 Old 06-27-2005, 08:38 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cymbeline View Post

I learned long ago in linguistics that "correct" language usage is a mighty tool which the ruling class uses to keep the lower classes down. This has been going on for centuries.

This theory does a poor job of predicting the rise to power enjoyed by one George Walker Bush.
#13 Old 06-27-2005, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by remilard View Post

This theory does a poor job of predicting the rise to power enjoyed by one George Walker Bush.

#14 Old 06-27-2005, 08:58 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by remilard View Post

Cheers!!
#15 Old 06-27-2005, 09:09 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mouse View Post

I don't know about what you are taling as I never forced anyone to be corrected, I asked them nicely whether they wanted to be and was promptly and repeatedly insulted.

Yeah, maybe my first post wasn't clear, but an opinionator does something about it. My dad takes the remote and changes it to NASCAR on TV when I try to watch Star Wars, kids at school ridicule Yu-Gi-Oh players, etc.
#16 Old 06-27-2005, 09:10 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyKass View Post

So that's his opinion, he isn't actually forcing it on you unless he makes you stop playing with your toys. Your opinion is that you should play with your toys. You both have opinions, which conflict with the other persons... its all part of being human. Some people will say you should have grown out of your yu-gi-oh by now, but then the 35 year old single balding males wearing capes at the yu-gi-oh convention will completely disagree.

If I may ask you, what toys? And what capes?
#17 Old 06-27-2005, 09:12 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenna View Post

Opinionating is a stupid and silly word!

*blink* Sorry. I couldn't think of anything else right now.

Agreed. Do you have a better or more concise one we can use?
#18 Old 06-27-2005, 09:15 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebola View Post

ebola

Says you! Opininionater!
#19 Old 06-27-2005, 09:15 PM

Sorry by toys I mean "Collectable figurines and cards."
#20 Old 06-27-2005, 09:17 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Sorry by toys I mean "Collectable figurines and cards."

A Yu-Gi-Oh card is not a "toy!" Would you call a playing card a "toy?" Well, the point is, IMO, Yu-Gi-Oh cards are a million times cooler and more intriguing that playing cards and should hence be called "tools" or "instruments" but never "toys." That's just my opinion, though-it isn't a fact!
#21 Old 06-27-2005, 09:23 PM
Banned

I can't believe I even opened this thread.

*leaves, shaking head.
#22 Old 06-27-2005, 09:24 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshTart View Post

I can't believe I even opened this thread.

*leaves, shaking head.

See you, Tart!
#23 Old 06-27-2005, 09:25 PM
Veggie Regular

I would call a playing card a toy.
#24 Old 06-27-2005, 09:26 PM
Veggie Regular

but then, I call any musical instruments that are fun to play "toys" as well (i.e. a cabasa or a maraca is a toy. a piano? NOT a toy.)
#25 Old 06-27-2005, 09:27 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelOfDance View Post

I would call a playing card a toy.

Ah, but Yu-Gi-Oh cards are no ordinary playing cards! Yu-Gi-Oh is more like chess (believe it or not). Is a chess piece a toy?
#26 Old 06-27-2005, 09:28 PM
Veggie Regular

yes. it's part of a game. therefore, toy.
#27 Old 06-27-2005, 09:29 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelOfDance View Post

yes. it's part of a game. therefore, toy.

Fine, a Yu-Gi-Oh card COULD be considered a toy, although I wouldn't call it that. In case any one is interested, go here http://www.pojo.com/yu-gi-oh/ to learn more about Yu-Gi-Oh.
#28 Old 06-27-2005, 09:30 PM

I'd say Pojo has a possibly unhealthy obessession.
#29 Old 06-27-2005, 09:32 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

I'd say Pojo has a possibly unhealthy obessession.

Do you know Pojo personally? How can you call his obsession "possibly unhealthy" if you don't know him? Would you say someone who is dedicated to his/her family has a "possibly unhealthy obsession?"
#30 Old 06-27-2005, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pasta>Cruelty View Post

I don't know about what you are taling as I never forced anyone to be corrected, I asked them nicely whether they wanted to be and was promptly and repeatedly insulted.

Yeah, maybe my first post wasn't clear, but an opinionator does something about it. My dad takes the remote and changes it to NASCAR on TV when I try to watch Star Wars, kids at school ridicule Yu-Gi-Oh players, etc.

Food for thought:

Maybe your father wants to watch NASCAR, and maybe he fels he has the right to, given that he probably bought the TV and pays the electric bills? And maybe the kids at school ridiculing YGO players isn't all that different from you saying that anyone who doesn't want to be publicly corrected on a message board isn't interested in learning? And maybe continuing to harp on the nobility of correcting others' grammar after one has been repeatedly told by quite a number of individuals that it is (a) not a good idea, and (b) none of one's business, is "doing something about it" according to the PC definition of opinionating?

Further food for thought:

Responding snippily and defensively to a slight ribbing may well result in a cyber knuckle rapping.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page