The Disneyland Starvation Diet... - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

#1 Old 06-24-2005, 07:10 PM
Veggie Regular

Hey ho. I lost 4 pounds sweating like the damned in hell and trying to find food. In the end I was too tired to pack much more than fruit, bread and some soy cheese into the hotel minifridge. I did not bother with bringing in a cooler to the park itslef as I had not arranged for one and the ordinary punters were having their hidden snacks taken off them. So I trusted myself to the perils of what Disney calls food. Good news is that fruit is now readily available as a snack nearly everywhere in Disneyland and California Adventure but it's pricey! A bag of grapes, two bananas and a bottle of water set me back $8.50. Now that's a mark up.

I mainly existed on salad, fries and de-cheesed pizzas during my three day stay and I was hungry nearly all the time. Most of the food at the stands in the park is utter crap. Chicken nuggety ickiness. Hot dogs. Feh. Nothing but fat people waddling around eating that stuff too. The sight of morbidly obese people eating hamburgers put me off even entering a few places.

I did have two nice dining experiences, one at California Adventure at the Wine Country Trattoria where I had a specially made cheese-free, veggie lasagne that was really swell. The wine was nice too. And the other was at Tortilla Jo's in Downtown Disney where I had very tasty veggie fajitas and even got carded which made my whole trip. Try the coconut mojitos. Nice in the hot weather.

Ah well. Do as Zoebird said and get permission to pack in sandwiches for your "special diet" or you will starve as I did and do not visit during the summer months. More people than you ever need to see in one place and 60 to 120 minute long waits for some rides. Fastpass is nice but you can only get 2 a day and will spend all your time waiting and sweating and starving

The kid had fun. Which is why I went. She ate pizza. Almost exclusively. She ate chicken poppers once and threw them up. On "It's a small world" no less. Bleh.

d
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-24-2005, 07:24 PM
Veggie Regular

Argh! I can feel your pain. I work for a theme park and very, very rarely actually eat park food. Our employee caf' has a decent salad bar for a good price on those days I just can't face making my lunch, but most of the time I pack my own. There are a couple of vegetarian meals on park, but who wants to eat cheese ravioli all the time?

I'm glad your daughter had a good time!
#3 Old 06-24-2005, 07:37 PM
Veggie Regular

no message.

bye.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 06-24-2005, 07:55 PM
Veggie Regular

Well, to answer your question in case you dare to look again: I think it's disgusting whenever anyone eats a burger but watching a fat person eat a burger is like watching someone actively slitting their wrists. It makes me sad and it does not make me very hungry.

I was at Disney with a friend who just has his gall bladder out, is contemplating early stages of liver disease, knows he should avoid all meat and still, STILL feels compelled to eat meat. He compared his desire for meat to a cancer-ridden smoker's desire for one more smoke. He knows it's a matter of time before something vital in his body gives out. At least he's considering eating fake bacon now. 3 years ago he would have laughed at the merest suggestion of fake meat.

No offense Kreeli. Fat people are cool. Fat people eating deadly crap in front of me makes me as queasy as watching an anorexic teen refuse food. IOW it's not the fact that they are fat, it's their insistence that they have the right to kill themselves in front of me and have me pretend it does not make me queasy.

Back to topic.

d
#5 Old 06-24-2005, 08:00 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by AccidentalVeg View Post

I mainly existed on salad, fries and de-cheesed pizzas during my three day stay and I was hungry nearly all the time. Most of the food at the stands in the park is utter crap. Chicken nuggety ickiness. Hot dogs. Feh. Nothing but fat people waddling around eating that stuff too. The sight of morbidly obese people eating hamburgers put me off even entering a few places.

...Real nice of you to say.
#6 Old 06-24-2005, 08:00 PM
Veggie Regular

I'd heard that the Disney parks were Veg friendly due to Michael Eisner being vegetarian... Maybe just in the restaurants as you described rather than the "quick fare" around the rides.

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
#7 Old 06-24-2005, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenna View Post

...Real nice of you to say.

now, now, Jenna. Nothing equals sexy like a skinny person eatin a carcass. Mmmm boy. Kreeli, I didnt get to read your reply, but I'm sure I knew where you went with it. Hate you deleted it though.
#8 Old 06-24-2005, 08:08 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by shagginabit View Post

now, now, Jenna. Nothing equals sexy like a skinny person eatin a carcass.

Actually, people feeding children meat grosses me out the most. I don't know why that is...

#9 Old 06-24-2005, 08:31 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabid_child View Post

I'd heard that the Disney parks were Veg friendly due to Michael Eisner being vegetarian... Maybe just in the restaurants as you described rather than the "quick fare" around the rides.

We went to Disney World about a month ago and if you're lacto-ovo you can eat reasonably well there. Vegan would be hard but not impossible.

And yeah, it's good to know I'm "cool".
#10 Old 06-24-2005, 08:41 PM
Veggie Regular

Eisner kind of got the boot last year.

Quote:

#11 Old 06-24-2005, 08:49 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frost View Post

Eisner kind of got the boot last year.

Well I don't think they'd reverse every policy he instated upon his booting.

#12 Old 06-24-2005, 08:49 PM
Veggie Regular

Yeah well. I don't much care to watch a heroin addict shoot up either but that's just crazy me.

Anybody who thinks America does not have an obesity problem should visit Disneyland. One look at the stuff they sell at the food stands could explain it. That stuff is not food. It's heart-disease and diabetes and obesity disguised as food. It's just wrong and I already wrote to Disney about it. Um, great that they sell fruit now at a 5000% mark-up but how-about something other than pizza or burgers or the God-fer-saken chicken "poppers" at those food stands? I would have happily purchased and eaten a soy burger had one been the slightest bit available at a food stand. Even if it had some egg in. I was really hungry but not hungry enough to eat the crap they were selling.

I'm gonna take my fat comments over to the Heap. If you want to discuss the lack of reasonable vegan food at Disney or other theme parks then post here.

d
#13 Old 06-24-2005, 09:26 PM
Banned

what's REALLY cool is that you probably ran into one of the many friends I have who work at disneyland. Either in a restaurant or stuffed in some costume. hot.

oh, and fyi...the bengal barbeque in adventureland has these veggie skewers that they grill on a separate grill from the meat skewers. its just grilled veggies (pepper, onion, potato, etc) but for some reason its the best thing ever. I've had some luck at disneyland being veggie. My pass expired and they upped the price like 92864817369 dollars but I want to get one again and then have my boyfriend get one so we can go to disneyland like we used to. it seems lame but its really fun, even when we go on Its A Small World. (once someone carved into one of the seats "I had sex here" so that provided amusement) /rambling
#14 Old 06-24-2005, 09:30 PM
Veggie Regular

I actually am surprised that they don't have atleast a veggie burger or something... most all places have either a grilled veggie sandwich or a veggie burger. Hopefully, they can work healthier foods into the park in the future.
#15 Old 06-24-2005, 09:38 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Yeah well. I don't much care to watch a heroin addict shoot up either but that's just crazy me.

Anybody who thinks America does not have an obesity problem should visit Disneyland. One look at the stuff they sell at the food stands could explain it. That stuff is not food. It's heart-disease and diabetes and obesity disguised as food. It's just wrong and I already wrote to Disney about it. Um, great that they sell fruit now at a 5000% mark-up but how-about something other than pizza or burgers or the God-fer-saken chicken "poppers" at those food stands? I would have happily purchased and eaten a soy burger had one been the slightest bit available at a food stand. Even if it had some egg in. I was really hungry but not hungry enough to eat the crap they were selling.

I'm gonna take my fat comments over to the Heap. If you want to discuss the lack of reasonable vegan food at Disney or other theme parks then post here.

d

How do you know what they normally eat? You just said there wasn't much else to eat there.
#16 Old 06-24-2005, 09:38 PM
Veggie Regular

Disneyland DOES have a veggie burger. At at least three different restaurants in three different lands. At least one of the veggie burgers is vegan, though I think the other ones are lacto-ovo.

There are at least 5 places where you can get satisfying vegan meals. Nearly everywhere else has stuff for vegetarians. It used to be printed on the map, but I don't know if it is anymore -- I haven't gotten a map in a long time.

I'm at Disneyland a lot. In fact, I was there this morning in the ridiculous heat and crowds. My sister dances in one of the parades there (she's the only dark-colored monkey in the 50th anniversary parade! ), so I've kinda moved in.

I usually don't choose to eat there because I like going and enjoying myself without giving them any money, but when I do get hungry, there's always something overpriced for me to munch on.

I also like how you can only smoke in designated areas of the park now. I haven't breathed in any cigarette smoke there for quite a while.
#17 Old 06-24-2005, 10:00 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie View Post

How do you know what they normally eat? You just said there wasn't much else to eat there.

The problem is compounded by people accepting that stuff as food and buying it anyway. Fight for change! Write to them. Demand the right to bring edible food in with you too.

The map had listed vegetarian options but these were all LV, not vegan. I did not see a veggie burger offered at any of the quick food stands I went by. The pricier restos had veg and vegan options like the veggie fajitas.

PS: I watched those dancers working their assess off in the heat and they have my admiration. My daughter loved being asked to join them.

d
#18 Old 06-24-2005, 10:28 PM
Veggie Regular

I don't know of any "quick" burger stands of the meaty or non-meaty kind... But there's Carnation on Main Street, the Hungry Bear, and a place in Tomorrowland all with veggie burgers.

There's also veggie gumbo at one of the quick windows in New Orleans square. I've never waited more than 3 minutes to get that. I don't know if the bread bowl is vegan, but you don't have to have the bread bowl and the gumbo itself is both yummy and vegan.

The bengal barbecue has one or two entirely vegan options and it's a quick (and relatively inexpensive) place -- no tables or chairs nearby because you're supposed to just walk away with it.

Pizza can be made without cheese, though some places you'll have to wait a bit longer. I'm not up on the crust ingredients, though.

There are fruit dishes, salads, tortillas at the tortilla factory (if you say it's your birthday you get a whole bag )...

There are fresh fruit stands all over the place, and I've yet to have a less-than-delicious fruit from a stand there.

I just found this:

http://www.ultimateorlando.com/archive/rest/veg.html

It doesn't list the veggie burger at Carnation... maybe they got rid of it? Still... mostly veggie options, but there's vegan stuff there.
#19 Old 06-24-2005, 10:40 PM
Veggie Regular

Oh... and there's a menu book at city hall where you can read the ingredients for anything sold in the park. If you started there with their veggie options you could see which ones are vegan (e.g., the hungry bear veggie burger has a vegan patty and bun) and plan your meals.
#20 Old 06-24-2005, 10:57 PM
Veggie Regular

Where was the place in tomorrowland? I ended up at some rocket-themed place (Red Rockett's?) where the one thing on the menu that looked likely was a pasta dish with tomato sauce and it tasted suspicious to me. I did not see a veggie burger there but that was a pizza/pasta joint.

I did mention the fresh fruit but I am not a fruitarian and fruit is not enough for me to feel like I've eaten an actual meal. Nevertheless I mostly ate that and I ate cheeseless pizza from various stands by just removing the cheese and letting my cheese-loving kid eat it.

I managed to miss the Hungry Bear somehow and all I saw on Main Street were places selling candy (the whole place was really packed and I missed a lot but candy and ice cream were in full abundance on Main Street USA). Missed the cafe entirely. A shame as I was really hungry.

I was told about the vegan gumbo but never made it back over to investigate it. It sounded really yummy too. Tortillas are nice but tortillas alone without some beans to call them home are just not enough!

I think the fruit is great but most of the places I saw in Fantasyland, Tomorrowland, Frontierland, Mickey's ToonTown and California Advenure had no veggie burgers to speak of. It was pizza, burgers, the hellish chicken "poppers", hot dogs, salad with fatty dressings (30 grams of fat per packet as my gall-bladder-impaired friend discovered) and pastas with either marinara sauce that had chicken on top or alfredo with chicken on top. The vegetable stew in bread bowl would have been nice, even on a hot day if it did not have a broth base. I never found the place that sold it. Disney's web site provides no info about menus and I found all the vegetarian options LV rather than vegan. I am sorry I missed those kebabs and the gumbo though Would have hit the spot. I was freaking starvingby day two.

I think generally if you go with sit down dining you'll be okay but really ask. I had to ask several people at Red Rockett's (I think that was the place) as to whether the tomato pasta had meat in it and the answers I got did not make me feel like staff were all that informed as to what they were serving. It took three people to get an answer at all.

Do not go near the Taste Pilot's Grill in California Adventure. Gross.

d
#21 Old 06-25-2005, 12:03 AM
Veggie Regular

AccidentalVeg. I had much the same experience you did - we went last year and I truely LOOKED AND LOOKED for the mysterious Veggie Burgers that were rumored to exist - but NONE of the above mentioned places claimed to know what I was asking for...(idiots)..

Vegan food seems sporadic and totally unreliable at the park, in my opinion... the places listed in the guide book (one year old) either did not even exist any more, or their menu had changed...

We did see the Wine place at Cal. Disney but it looked too expensive... shoulda tried it I guess...

I also tried the Bengal BBQ but that day they "weren't serving" their veggie skewers and so I didn't bother trekking over there on subsequent days just to check if they were serving them...

I backpacked food in most days and DID tell them I was on a special diet too... they didn't even ask the second and third days, just looked at it and passed me on thru...
#22 Old 06-25-2005, 12:17 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tofu-N-Sprouts View Post

AccidentalVeg. I had much the same experience you did - we went last year and I truely LOOKED AND LOOKED for the mysterious Veggie Burgers that were rumored to exist - but NONE of the above mentioned places claimed to know what I was asking for...(idiots)..

Vegan food seems sporadic and totally unreliable at the park, in my opinion... the places listed in the guide book (one year old) either did not even exist any more, or their menu had changed...

We did see the Wine place at Cal. Disney but it looked too expensive... shoulda tried it I guess...

I also tried the Bengal BBQ but that day they "weren't serving" their veggie skewers and so I didn't bother trekking over there on subsequent days just to check if they were serving them...

I backpacked food in most days and DID tell them I was on a special diet too... they didn't even ask the second and third days, just looked at it and passed me on thru...

I know! I am so confused. I looked! I saw not much. Maybe I was starvation and heat-blinded. It was so frigging hot and people-ly! The wine place has entrees that start at about 12 bucks which is not bad considering how nice my food was and how well it was served. The omnis with me raved. They had a kid menu with crayons and one vegan option for kidlets (pasta with tomato sauce, eaten with gusto by Kid). The Bruschetta are available WITHOUT the chicken on top, as the good lord no doubt intended when Bruchetta was invented by poor, meatless Italians like my ancestors.

d
#23 Old 06-25-2005, 12:40 AM
Veggie Regular

Who's interested in food when you're at an amusement park?

Too much to do to worry about eating. You can do that when you get back to the hotel room. :P
#24 Old 06-25-2005, 03:26 AM
Baby Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mskedi View Post

Oh... and there's a menu book at city hall where you can read the ingredients for anything sold in the park. If you started there with their veggie options you could see which ones are vegan (e.g., the hungry bear veggie burger has a vegan patty and bun) and plan your meals.

Mskedi, you are a great wealth of information on this topic! I'll have to remember these tips the next time I go for a visit. I love Disney World, but have always had trouble finding stuff to eat ... veg or not. Its been ten years since I've been, but I remember being a kid and only wanting the Bavarian Pretzels that they sell in the German area of Epcot. My poor parents
#25 Old 06-25-2005, 07:50 AM
Veggie Regular

We were at Disneyworld (not land) and in their booklets the veggie friendly places were listed. There were ate least three or four that had veggie burgers in the Magic Kingdom and MGM. In addition to fruits, smoothies, wraps, etc. I heard that there is even better veggie food in some of the sit down places but we were on the move!
#26 Old 06-26-2005, 12:52 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Actually, people feeding children meat grosses me out the most. I don't know why that is...

ME TOO! Weird.

Back on topic.
#27 Old 06-26-2005, 12:09 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

I know! I am so confused. I looked! I saw not much. Maybe I was starvation and heat-blinded. It was so frigging hot and people-ly! The wine place has entrees that start at about 12 bucks which is not bad considering how nice my food was and how well it was served. The omnis with me raved. They had a kid menu with crayons and one vegan option for kidlets (pasta with tomato sauce, eaten with gusto by Kid). The Bruschetta are available WITHOUT the chicken on top, as the good lord no doubt intended when Bruchetta was invented by poor, meatless Italians like my ancestors.

d

Bruschetta with chicken???
#28 Old 06-26-2005, 12:29 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by froggythefrog View Post

Bruschetta with chicken???

I know. That hast to violate some basic law of the universe. A note at the bottom of the menu says they can prepare any dish vegetarian or vegan style. Just ask.

d
#29 Old 06-26-2005, 01:38 PM
Veggie Regular

This is a bit off topic, but the bruchetta with chicken reminded me of how very ludicrously difficult it is to find a salad without chicken on top these days. I mean...I grew up where you had your salad, and it almost never included a meat....egg perhaps, maybe but that was even a stretch. But now you are hard pressed (particularly if eating fast food) to find a salad without meat. If you happen to find one, it's probably a side salad.

B
#30 Old 06-26-2005, 03:12 PM
Veggie Regular

Personally, I just try to avoid the overly commercialistic places like that. I refuse to even go to Cedar Point, even though they have Camp Snoopy stuff and I've been a Snoopy fan since I can remember. "Amusement" parks just don't amuse me.

To me, these places exist to make mass money from the masses. The masses eat meat and fried and processed food. (Even that's ridiculously marked up.) Therefore, finding anything good would be, at best, a near-miracle.

Sorry. I guess I'm sounding preachy or something. I'm just not in a good mood overall.

I'll shuddup now.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page