Mall-haunting, 'ho'-dressing Tweendom - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 05-10-2005, 12:51 AM
Veggie Regular

My friend dresses her 7-year-old like a ho. It's bugging me. I suppose it should not but I am deathly afraid my 4-year-old will at one point think that's a really good look to aspire towards. Over my dead body but I can't help thinking my friend is steering her child towards the title of my thread.

Just...why? 7 years old. Not 13. Not 15. S-e-v-e-n. Her mom is buying this stuff FOR her. Platform shoes. Short skirts even in cold weather. Tight tops. It just creeps me out. I look at that and see a mother who wishes she could still wear miniskirts.

Eesh.

Actually, I see a lot of young girl children (ages 4 to 8) in really tall, teetery shoes. What exactly is the point of that? Teach them early how not to fall over? It makes me think of bound feet. Stand there and look pretty feet. Shouldn't they be running and jumping in sneakers someplace? Is it creeping parental paranoia on my part? Am I turning Amish or something? I understand they can't be little girls forever but do they have to look like trophies so soon?

Tell me it's not just me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-10-2005, 02:36 AM
Veggie Regular

It's not just you, AV. I see young girls WITH their PARENTS, dressed up in skimpy outfits. I've seen mini skirts and tube tops on like 10 year olds. It's really messed up, especially when parents ALLOW it, not to mention encourage it. Whatever happened to being a kid and wearing an effen My Little Pony sweat suit? The last thing I would want for my children is for them to grow up too fast. Life's too short, and being a kid is the best part.

There are also stores in malls here, that provide a platform for 10 year old "ho's in training", selling skimpy clothing marketed towards young girls. And before I get jumped on, I know one is not promiscuous just because they dress a certain way. But it really is disturbing to see such young girls being so sexualized. It's disturbing to see stores, the media, and PARENTS (of all people) encouraging young impressionable minds to think this is what "being a girl" is all about.

Times are a changin, I guess.
#3 Old 05-10-2005, 02:40 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by newstars View Post

Whatever happened to being a kid and wearing an effen My Little Pony sweat suit?

because wearing that gets you beat up in school?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 05-10-2005, 07:00 AM
Veggie Regular

I know....I know. We have kindergarteners who come to school in shoes no human would be able to run in. I've always had a thing about even woman's shoes. If I can't run in them, I don't want to be wearing them. I mean, what if the sudden need to run comes into play and there I am in high heels. But thats a personal thing.

There are stores I simply will not frequent with my daughter for clothes buying purposes. Walmart for instance. If you want to see prostitute clothing for girls, you need look no farther than the local walmart. We do our clothing shopping mainly at Old Navy sales. Target also has some good things, tho ho clothes are part of the mix on occasion. Other than that, we've gotten into a terrific hand me down circle at our church where the simply, outdoorsy folks (one family actually does live on a farm), purchase simple, outdoorsy clothes for their girls.

I have lucked out so far, meaning aside from a 'barbie/princess' phase on clothes wearing that lasted two years and then disappeared as suddenly as it had begun, my own daughter has warn comfortable clothing that she can get dirty. I get oh so tired of little girls coming to school in uncomfortable sandles and too tight clothing that's too mature for many adult women. And then many of them inform me they cannot get their clothes dirty or, "Mom will be mad." To this I always reply, "Do you guys have a washing machine at home?" Nod from child. "You can tell your parents then, that I said the washing machine will actually get them clean again." Yesterday one little pre-k girl kept coming up to say to us, quite concerned, "I don't know WHY my mom made me wear these sandles." I love this...you can always tell when mom dresses her as she always comes in saying, "I don't know WHY my Mom made me where this."

Anyhoo....just babbling.

I think set a good example yourself, which I'm sure you do, for how women dress...and be firm about clothing styles (ie nothing too grown up) but let them make personal choices about what to buy and wear within reason. That way everyone wins.

B
#5 Old 05-10-2005, 07:46 AM
Banned

I think some of those clothes are totally inappropriate but isn't this the kind of thing our grandparents said about the clothing their friends kids wore?

It wasn't so long ago that showing your knees or even ankle was considerded slutty.

Isn't this just the natural progression of things?
#6 Old 05-10-2005, 08:52 AM
Kiz
Veggie Regular

No, because some of these items of clothing carry overtly sexual messages. Jeans with "juicy" on the butt or shirts declaring is a "bad pussy" and the like carry sexual messages, like it or not. The mini skirts and the like, I dunno, they don't bother me much but declaring certain body parts are "juicy" is just way wrong.

Love the post? Why not buy the T-shirt!
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=categorie&cat=8
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=product&info=94
#7 Old 05-10-2005, 09:10 AM

i completely agree. But then also look at the 13 year olds who are wearing mini skirts and you can tell that they're wearing it just because their friends are. Same with highschoolers. Everyone is wearing the same brands (abercrombie, american eagle, aeropostle) and looking the same. I wish people would dress themselves and their kids sensibly and not try to wear what everyone else is wearing...a bit off the original topic, but fashion none-the-less.
#8 Old 05-10-2005, 09:29 AM
Veggie Regular

I was at a game a few weeks back and there was a little girl, probably 8-10 years old, dressed in one of those super-short cheerleading skirts. She was bending over a table on the concourse looking at items for sale and wiggling her butt/hips the whole time. I mean she was bending *way* over the table, her rear end facing the crowd walking by during the intermission. Her mother stood right next to her.
#9 Old 05-10-2005, 10:59 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Whatever happened to being a kid and wearing an effen My Little Pony sweat suit? The last thing I would want for my children is for them to grow up too fast. Life's too short, and being a kid is the best part.

Ohh, I had a transformers sweat shirt that I loved in kindergarten
#10 Old 05-10-2005, 11:10 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Whatever happened to being a kid and wearing an effen My Little Pony sweat suit?

I had a Sailormoon sweat suit that I thought was the sh!t at that age. Oh, my Mickey Mouse shirts were also f-ing fabulous according to me
#11 Old 05-10-2005, 11:14 AM
Veggie Regular

I get creeped out by the 12 year olds in bikini's on the street corners in the summer, waving signs and jumping all around for some car wash.

Just freaks me out some.. Don't these parents realize that perching their little girls on the street corner in a bikini doesn't bring people into the car wash 'cos they think the girls are cute, or they want to support their cheerleading squad....it's 'cos dudes want to see 12 year olds in wet tee-shirts.

*shudder*
#12 Old 05-10-2005, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFalafel View Post

I think some of those clothes are totally inappropriate but isn't this the kind of thing our grandparents said about the clothing their friends kids wore?

It wasn't so long ago that showing your knees or even ankle was considerded slutty.

I wonder what kind of clothing the fashion gods will punish these kids with when they have kids of their own?

"Maahhhhmmmmm!!! All the kids are weeeeaaaaring themmmmm!!!"

The Rev

(Warning: Pic PG-13, but might still offend some)
LL
#13 Old 05-10-2005, 12:15 PM

Like I always say, the kids these days are going from diapers to g-strings. They're growing up way too fast.
#14 Old 05-10-2005, 12:28 PM
Veggie Regular

^^^ I agree.
#15 Old 05-10-2005, 12:29 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coop View Post

I get creeped out by the 12 year olds in bikini's on the street corners in the summer, waving signs and jumping all around for some car wash.

Just freaks me out some.. Don't these parents realize that perching their little girls on the street corner in a bikini doesn't bring people into the car wash 'cos they think the girls are cute, or they want to support their cheerleading squad....it's 'cos dudes want to see 12 year olds in wet tee-shirts.

*shudder*

I ALWAYS think the same thing! And it's sooooo accepted.
#16 Old 05-10-2005, 12:32 PM
Banned

School is for learnin', not hoin'.
#17 Old 05-10-2005, 12:47 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFalafel View Post

[bold added]

YES! Because in about 15 years then, little girls' BARBIE UNDEROOS WILL BE HANGING OUT, and we'll look back and sigh upon these days of 10" skirts on 10 year olds...

N/C for that.
#18 Old 05-10-2005, 12:49 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by shagginabit View Post

Like I always say, the kids these days are going from diapers to g-strings. They're growing up way too fast.

I totally agree.

Let's give a big thank you to Britney and Christina for giving our girls the desire to be whores. And then, let's thank Britney and Christina's moms for encouraging their daughters to be whores.
#19 Old 05-10-2005, 01:23 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Let's give a big thank you to Britney and Christina for giving our girls the desire to be whores. And then, let's thank Britney and Christina's moms for encouraging their daughters to be whores.

Can't say I agree with that.

I think a rule of thumb should be that if a 7 year old kid cant play tag and roll down in a hill in what they are wearing then they shouldn't be wearing it.
#20 Old 05-10-2005, 01:58 PM
Veggie Regular

here's one of the cool things i learned via my parents.

if my mother didn't think something was cool or appropriate, she would tell me. So, if my once four now seven daughter wanted to dress like the once seven, now 11 girl next door, i wuold simply tell her that the clothing is not appropriate and why--and only purchase appropriate clothing.

my parents gave me reasons, context, understanding. They would even explain that other parents have different ideas abut how girls should dress and behave and how that could be detrimental to their personhood. So, having a context always helped.

so, as a parent, you have nothing to worry about.

but, why other parents aren't consider this is beyond me.
#21 Old 05-10-2005, 02:03 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyVT View Post

Can't say I agree with that.

I think a rule of thumb should be that if a 7 year old kid cant play tag and roll down in a hill in what they are wearing then they shouldn't be wearing it.

There are quite a few 7 year olds who are more interested in flirting than playing tag today.
#22 Old 05-10-2005, 03:22 PM
Veggie Regular

I feel a bit better knowing I'm not channelling The Church Lady. I will stick with our kidly clothes with hip but NOT sexy touches for as long as I can keep her that way. She wears merrell slip-on, mary-jane sneakers (no, not vegan) and they pretty much go with everything. We had a good long race across the park yesterday in those shoes. And that's the way it's supposed to be.

The next time. The VERY NEXT TIME that friend of mine bemoans her 7 year-old's burgeoning weight problem I will gently suggest sneakers as more conducive to running about than platform "hootchie" shoes. Maybe it will stick in her mind. She may just tell me to **** off. Who can say?

Same friend actually bought some hootchie shoes for my kid for her birthday from Target. Those got donated. Sadly some poor kid has hootchie shoes now.

The suburbs! Why am I here?!!!

d
#23 Old 05-10-2005, 04:26 PM
Veggie Regular

12 year old girls should be dressed so they can climb a tree without anyone being able to read the day of the week on their thong panties.

#24 Old 05-10-2005, 05:00 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by AccidentalVeg View Post

The next time. The VERY NEXT TIME that friend of mine bemoans her 7 year-old's burgeoning weight problem I will gently suggest sneakers as more conducive to running about than platform "hootchie" shoes. Maybe it will stick in her mind. She may just tell me to **** off. Who can say?

Same friend actually bought some hootchie shoes for my kid for her birthday from Target. Those got donated. Sadly some poor kid has hootchie shoes now.

d

I never considered the hootchy shoes leading to weight problems, but of COURSE. We have one girl who is bordering on childhood obesity who always weares hootchy shoes...some version of uncomfortable and platform, and of course she can't run in these. Last time she came in like that I insisted the teacher I work with send a note home talking about appropriate footwear. I've NEVER understood platform sandles on little girls. I've worked with little ones now for five years and have seen one and two year olds, jsut learning to walk in platform sandles that are more than an inch high...and I just wonder, "Where is your brain Mom/Dad?" They can't walk in those. They don't put hootchy shoes on boys, that's for sure (but this is probably another feminist topic debate...'teaching sexism via hootchy sandals for little girls' )

Anyhooo....more babbling.

B

B
#25 Old 05-10-2005, 05:31 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coop View Post

*shudder*

This really bugs me too, especially when the car in front of me in traffic nearly wrecks when the driver is too busy checking out 12 yr olds

I don't understand.

I'm glad I have a son.
#26 Old 05-10-2005, 05:33 PM
Banned

Quote:

Life's too short, and being a kid is the best part.

The latter is untrue if you're tied to railway tracks along with a dog and a veg*n is nearby. But then the former becomes more true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by catgirl67 View Post

Let's give a big thank you to Britney and Christina for giving our girls the desire to be whores.

Avril Lavigne said in an interview that I read by mistake that she isn't like popstars such as Britney and Christina as she doesn't dress like them and so provides a better form of role model for girls.

But then Ms. Lavigne DID also say she was the new millennium's version of the Sex Pistols.
#27 Old 05-10-2005, 05:35 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurmudgeon View Post

The latter is untrue if you're tied to railway tracks along with a dog and a veg*n is nearby. But then the former becomes more true.

This thread is making me wish my niece could stay 8 and innocent forever. :/
#28 Old 05-12-2005, 10:12 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by catgirl67 View Post

There are quite a few 7 year olds who are more interested in flirting than playing tag today.

true, true, true. My friend Josh (23) had a little friend of the family (like...12!) who dressed a little like that and was seriously crushing on him....and she HATED me when I started dating him. Like..vicious stuff! She asked to speak to him in private and when he asked why she GLARED at me and goes "Because I dont want her to hear" (read "her" as a word coated in ice and dripping venom)

If she wasnt so little I woulda slapped her! Instead I laughed and gave him a BIiiiiig Kiss and grinned at her and said Id catch up with them later, then.

But then..I was in kindygarden and had me a boyfriend. I've always been a little flirt.
#29 Old 05-12-2005, 10:23 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurmudgeon View Post

Avril Lavigne said in an interview that I read by mistake that she isn't like popstars such as Britney and Christina as she doesn't dress like them and so provides a better form of role model for girls.

But then Ms. Lavigne DID also say she was the new millennium's version of the Sex Pistols.

Nothin' wrong with the Sex Pistols. But Avril ain't them, that's for sure. And if she's what we got in their place... *retreats to the previous generation's mosh-pit*
#30 Old 05-12-2005, 10:52 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by desolationangel View Post

Nothin' wrong with the Sex Pistols. But Avril ain't them, that's for sure. And if she's what we got in their place... *retreats to the previous generation's mosh-pit*

Phew! I'm with you! I'd take Peaches over Avril any day for riding the ragged edge of disaster. WTF kinda name is AVRIL?

(Realises age is showing. Slinks away to dye her roots.)

d

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page