Mall-haunting, 'ho'-dressing Tweendom - Page 2 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#31 Old 05-12-2005, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AccidentalVeg View Post

The suburbs! Why am I here?!!!

d

Okay, I am by no means a fan of suburbia, but this problem thrives in the city as well.

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 Old 05-12-2005, 11:44 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurmudgeon View Post

The latter is untrue if you're tied to railway tracks along with a dog and a veg*n is nearby. But then the former becomes more true.

but you know, I remember girls being like this when I was a kid. While I was still wearing cabbage patch kid t-shirts at age 9, they were wearing tons of makeup, revealing shirts, etc.... and they got all the attention, and I hated them for it (plus I got teased over my clothing).

So thought I'm not convinced that things have changed that much, I just think that it's more in-your-face now...
#33 Old 05-13-2005, 12:58 AM
Veggie Regular

I once pissed somebody off by telling him I'd rather give a Marylyn Manson CD to my kid than a Barbie.

Yes, I see it too. 11 year olds dressed like the bimbos I have to sit next to in liberal arts classes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#34 Old 05-13-2005, 02:03 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hummusisyummus View Post

I once pissed somebody off by telling him I'd rather give a Marylyn Manson CD to my kid than a Barbie.

Yes, I see it too. 11 year olds dressed like the bimbos I have to sit next to in liberal arts classes.

Heh heh. That's good stuff. I think on balance I would rather give anything to my kid as long as it wasn't a Lil' Bratz doll. They make Marilyn look wholesome. More like Lil' Slutz.

For the morbidly curious: http://www.bratzpack.com

d
#35 Old 05-13-2005, 02:07 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by AccidentalVeg View Post

Heh heh. That's good stuff. I think on balance I would rather give anything to my kid as long as it wasn't a Lil' Bratz doll. They make Marilyn look wholesome. More like Lil' Slutz.

For the morbidly curious: http://www.bratzpack.com

d

OMFG . . .those Bratz Babyz are . . I think I'm going to vomit . .
#36 Old 05-13-2005, 02:08 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by VegKitten84 View Post

OMFG . . .those Bratz Babyz are . . I think I'm going to vomit . .

I know. I know. It's just so wrong. It's the centre of the Wrong Universe.

Words fail.

d
#37 Old 05-13-2005, 03:04 AM
Banned

Would universal school uniforms be the answer? The kids in the UK all wear school uniforms.
#38 Old 05-13-2005, 03:09 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFalafel View Post

Would universal school uniforms be the answer? The kids in the UK all wear school uniforms.

I like school uniforms but that would not address the issue of this particular 7-year-old and the clothing she wears when she's at home or with her friends and neighbours (namely: us).

The living-vicariously-through-your-children thing can be taxed to its logical limit by clothing like the kind this kid wears sometimes.
#39 Old 05-13-2005, 06:06 AM
Veggie Regular

I had a boyfriend when I was in creche [would've been about 4]. he gave me horseyback rides and his dad used to yell at him when he wet his pants.
#40 Old 05-13-2005, 06:27 AM
Veggie Regular

What can you do? It's the parents' choice. And parents are morons. It's a fact, look it up.
#41 Old 05-13-2005, 06:41 AM
Veggie Regular

School uniforms aren't the answer because the minute they are out of school, the girls hitch up their skirts to obscene levels, take off their jumpers and have their shirts unbuttoned really low..etc etc.

What about compulsory straight-jackets until the age of 18?..
#42 Old 05-13-2005, 08:01 AM
Veggie Regular

school uniforms may be great for kids while in school though. they'll have sensible shoes so that they can run around, it's harder to demonstrate status (though people always find a way), and less wealthy kids have clothes that are appropriate and functional for school (uniforms can be subsidized or are low cost anyway). i think that school uniforms definately have their place.

at home, a kid can dress however the parent allows, but having a dress code in the form of a uniform may help with that functionality issue in regards to recess and play (fitness).
#43 Old 05-13-2005, 04:28 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schoska View Post

School uniforms aren't the answer because the minute they are out of school, the girls hitch up their skirts to obscene levels, take off their jumpers and have their shirts unbuttoned really low..etc etc.

If the skirts were ankle length they would have to roll them so many times to get the skirt above their knees it would look very uncool. I guess the shirts couldn't have buttons... That still doesn't solve the problem when they're not at school.
#44 Old 05-13-2005, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurmudgeon View Post

Avril Lavigne said in an interview that I read by mistake that she isn't like popstars such as Britney and Christina as she doesn't dress like them and so provides a better form of role model for girls.

But then Ms. Lavigne DID also say she was the new millennium's version of the Sex Pistols.

Ive heard that towards the beginning of her career someone asked her in an interview if she listened to bands like the Sex Pistols and The Ramones, and she didnt even know who they were.

I dont like Avril. She contradicts herself all of the time and its just annoying. Thanks to her there are 10 year old kids running around at Hot Topic trying to find punk clothes. I suppose thats better then them shopping at Abercrombie & Fitch, though.
#45 Old 05-13-2005, 05:18 PM
Banned

Avril is angry because of the carbs. She said so herself.
#46 Old 05-13-2005, 05:29 PM

OMG, she is soo lame, I remember she once said she was veggie, but then said her favorite food was hamburgers, and how she loved to hunt. But ya little girls are getting skankier by the day, i didnt dress like that till i was like 16,
#47 Old 05-13-2005, 05:31 PM

She also said shes straight-edge and Ive seen so many pictures of her smoking. Blah. What an annoying person.
#48 Old 05-14-2005, 10:25 AM
Veggie Regular

Is it just me? Or does anyone else find the term straight-edge annoying?

B
#49 Old 05-14-2005, 11:04 AM

I dont really mind straight-edge in itself, but it annoys me that its now a fad to be straight-edge. Most people ditch it when they turn 21.

I think the name is stupid, too.
#50 Old 05-14-2005, 11:15 AM
Veggie Regular

We had none of this straight-edge stuff when I were a young punk. We were boozing, pill-popping hoors and we did not care.

#51 Old 05-14-2005, 04:22 PM
Veggie Regular

So straight edgers are also part of the punk movement?

B
#52 Old 05-14-2005, 07:10 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethanie View Post

So straight edgers are also part of the punk movement?

B

I started seeing straight-edgers in the 90's. There's something very un-punk about it because nihilism and health-consciousness are not usually intertwined but what the heck. If kids need a label for liking good music and NOT getting strung out on meth then that's fine.

Like Emo and loads of other labels it just sounds so self-conscious.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page