Flexitarians: your opinions. - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 05-08-2005, 08:24 PM
Veggie Regular

So "flexitarians"...a buzz-word that's recently gained popularity among half-witted pansies...

...jmo.

I had a friend in high school that was a self-proclaimed "vegetarian who sometimes eats meat..."

YOU'RE A FREAKING OMNI JUST LIKE EVERY OTHER NON-VEGETARIAN!!

I think the term is really stupid and just something to make *flexitarians* feel better about their weakness when it comes to flesh.

Perhaps I'm being too harsh, but it's just what I think. The term angers me. You're not a "flexitarian". You're a meat-eater who doesn't eat meat all the time, but you eat meat nonetheless, THEREFORE AGAIN you're a meat-eater.

Anyone else's thoughts?

Cheers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-08-2005, 08:30 PM
Veggie Regular

I can see how this could be an annoying term, but there is one thing that I like about it; it gives near-vegetarians a term to call themselves that isn't "vegetarian", which hopefully will lead to less confusion about what a vegetarian is.

Otherwise, it does sound like just a fad-word to me. I wonder if it'll still be around in 5 years.
#3 Old 05-08-2005, 08:38 PM
Veggie Regular

I freaking hate labels. There's my stand on it.

Don't call me a vegetarian, because I haven't been one from birth, and maybe some day in the future might not be one either. Or maybe I accidently ate something with gelatin in it, so how dare I call myself a vegetarian.

See, I would hate to give a bad name to all the other "stricts" out there.

Who gives a flip what a person calls himself, really. Are they trying? Well, then, good. Are they just using a term to gain acceptance, or to stand out? Well, then, bad.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 05-08-2005, 08:40 PM
Administrator

I think anything that encourages people to eat less meat is fine. As long as they don't call themselves vegetarian I think it's great.

VeggieBoards Alumni Facebook Group

If you're an old time VB'er stop by and say hi!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#5 Old 05-08-2005, 08:43 PM
Banned

Everytime I hear the term, I keep thinking that it means their ability to bend during sex.
#6 Old 05-08-2005, 08:44 PM
Veggie Regular

I think there's at least one flexitarian on this board...or was, recently.

I've got no problem with whatever people want to call themselves. Though I admit I did cringe last night at a mother's day banquet at our church when a woman announced to me that while on a TV show she was doing recently (Starting Over, a reality show that comes on in the afternoons), she was a strict vegan, and only ate fish.

As I didn't feel like making her feel 'stupid' in front of her mom and sisters who were right there with her, I decided to take up this subject with her at another time.

B
#7 Old 05-08-2005, 08:44 PM
Veggie Regular

It's fine with me as long as it actually conveys useful information (i.e. a person who eats vegetarian except where it won't contribute to demand, as in meat that would have been bought anyway). I'd be annoyed if omnis were using it to be hippy/cool/whatever rather than to mean they want to limit their impact on meat demand. But I would argue there are very few times where meat consumption does not contribute to demand (mmm, roadkill).
#8 Old 05-08-2005, 08:45 PM
Veggie Regular

oooo...krista, I think if you said, "I'm a flexitarian," in a really low, throaty voice, it would be wicked sexy.

B
#9 Old 05-08-2005, 08:50 PM
Veggie Regular

I used to HATE the word flexitarian.

but now, I'd much rather they use that word than to call themselves vegetarian.

Vegetarian should only be used for people who truely are vegetarian. Flexitarian should be used for people who eat a bit of meat and are (hopefully) cutting back on their animal consumptions.

I have no hard feelings for the flexitarians in the world. Every little bit helps and they help, too.
#10 Old 05-08-2005, 09:00 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethanie View Post

oooo...krista, I think if you said, "I'm a flexitarian," in a really low, throaty voice, it would be wicked sexy.

B

Ask and it shall be granted.

flex.zip 347.3994140625k . file
#11 Old 05-08-2005, 09:01 PM
Veggie Regular

i greatly dislike the assumption that people who choose to eat meat are somehow less intellegent or weak willed.

while it may be the case for some people, it is not the case for most people. i think the term is fine if it makes a person happy and isn't confused with vegetarianism.

it's the vegetarian and fish issue that gets me the most. saying 'i'm a strict vegan' and eating fish is crazy-talk. it's ignorance, but not lack of intellegence. it may be weak-willed depending upon whether or not it's ignorance or a desire to not cause conflict in certain situations (or whatever other reasons related to 'weak willed').
#12 Old 05-08-2005, 09:10 PM
Veggie Regular

I don't think the person I was talking to had any idea what the world 'vegan' really meant. And I think her trainer/nutritionist has been giving her a word to use, that he must not also know the meaning of. Which is why I determined to tell her at a time when it wouldn't make her feel or look bad to be corrected.

B
#13 Old 05-08-2005, 09:11 PM
Veggie Regular

Oooooo...thanks krista!
#14 Old 05-08-2005, 09:15 PM
Veggie Regular

there are different kinds of "flexitarians."

- the transitional flexitarian: the person who is trying to cut meat out, but isn't totally there yet.

- the trace flexitarian: would rather eat an infant than a steak, but doesn't worry about beef fat in twinkies or chicken broth in their soup

- the "I'm not a vegetarian.": will eat the pot roast if they find themselves in a situation where there are no good veg options and won't ask anyone to make exceptions for them, but if there's a way around it, they'll take it. this person won't order pork fried rice if there's veg fried rice and almost never buys meat.

- the "make an exception"-itarian.: This person is looking for attention. I have a friend like this. They'll announce that they're vegetarian, but will eat meat when the mood strikes them. My friend would say, "I can't eat it if it reminds me of an animal." even though she would if she wanted it. This "vegetarian" does things like say, "we can't get sausage pizza because I'm a vegetarian." so you get a cheese pizza and a pepperoni- she takes a slice of pepperoni, explaining, "I can eat it if it doesn't look too much like an animal." (but then eats beef jerkey the next day when only a few people are watching)

-the sympathetic vegetarian: would never call themselves vegetarians and have no problem eating meat normally, but if they go out to dinner with you, they'll go out of their way to eat veg. They like veggie burgers and tofu. They'll invite you over to eat just so that they have an excuse to have a vegetarian meal. This person thinks being vegetarian is pretty cool, but doesn't have too much interest in doing it permanently.

- The "I'm doing it for you" flexitarian: thes are pretty rare, but I do have one frient like this: after a long conversation on why I was vegetarian, she apologized profusely for not being able to do it, saying she wanted to help animals but didn't want to deprive her daughter of meat and didn't want to give it up (the convo was mostly led by her- I wasn't vegevangelizing.) and I pointed out that if she gives up meat for one day a week, she'll save more animals than if she eats meat every day. She doesn't eat meat on wednesdays now.
#15 Old 05-08-2005, 09:18 PM
Veggie Regular

I think its annoying word for someone who is reducing their meat intake, but as long as they aren't saying they're vegetarian... I'll just laugh to myself about them feeling like they need a buzz word to be special.

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
#16 Old 05-08-2005, 09:19 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelOfDance View Post

- the "I'm not a vegetarian.": will eat the pot roast if they find themselves in a situation where there are no good veg options and won't ask anyone to make exceptions for them, but if there's a way around it, they'll take it. this person won't order pork fried rice if there's veg fried rice and almost never buys meat.

That's me. Although, after my first experience with a pot roast that someone only cooked for 30 minutes, I probably would ask for crackers and cheese whiz
#17 Old 05-08-2005, 09:19 PM
Veggie Regular

I had no idea there was beef fat in twinkies.

B
#18 Old 05-08-2005, 09:21 PM
Banned

I can't remember if Canadian Twinkies have beef fat or not

<<resisting temptation to purchase them to check
#19 Old 05-08-2005, 09:24 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post

I think anything that encourages people to eat less meat is fine. As long as they don't call themselves vegetarian I think it's great.

Ditto.

What does irritate me are people like my ex-boss and his partner, who call themselves vegetarian but are eating chicken or seafood every time I see them eat. I mentioned once that they aren't vegetarians because of this. All this has done is they claim to be vegetarian, then notice I am looking at them, and correct themselves by claiming piscetarian instead. Which still isn't accurate...

And this mostly just bugs me because I have the distinct impression that they only call themselves vegetarian because they want that label -- that "I'm concerned about animals and the planet" label -- without actually making any significant changes in their way of eating. They kill harmless snakes around their house, too.
#20 Old 05-08-2005, 09:24 PM
Veggie Regular

The one way I saw it used in a magazine, it said that you could cut out 3 meaty meals a week. That isn't enough for me.

I was a transitional flexitarian at the start. I promised to see a doctor before I started being vegetarian so I ate a tuna sandwich or two before I actually did see one.
#21 Old 05-08-2005, 09:27 PM
Banned

So if you aren't a vegetarian and you don't eat meat at each and every meal, you are a flexitarian, right?

Or where is the line drawn?
#22 Old 05-08-2005, 09:28 PM
Banned

I have no idea how the term works.
#23 Old 05-08-2005, 09:28 PM
Veggie Regular

I would say that person is an omni who doesn't eat much meat.

But if they wanted to call themselves flexitarian I wouldn't quibble.
#24 Old 05-08-2005, 09:29 PM
Veggie Regular

i don't have any strong feelings on it.
#25 Old 05-08-2005, 09:30 PM
Banned

Can I be a flexitarian without eating any meat, or do I need to eat some?
#26 Old 05-08-2005, 09:31 PM
Veggie Regular

Can you put your feet behind your head? If so, yeah.
#27 Old 05-08-2005, 09:31 PM
Veggie Regular

I think you have to at least be willing to- that's where the "flex" comes in.
#28 Old 05-08-2005, 09:33 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by borealis View Post

Can you put your feet behind your head? If so, yeah.

No, I can kick above my head though, and I used to be able to do a split.
#29 Old 05-08-2005, 09:34 PM
Veggie Regular

i tend to think of it in a casual way.

if a person is predominently vegetarian--say 80-90% of the time or heading toward vegetarianism--and in certain situations wouldn't or doesn't turn down meat, but doesn't actively seek it either, then they would use 'flexitarian.'

i think that any person could use this term, because it seems to mean 'trying to be this, but not always this, so i'm kinda flexable about it in regards to my needs and feelings on the matter.'

so, a person who eats and lives a predominently vegan life, but really struggles with the cheese aspect--yet still eats very little--might just be a 'flexitarian' out of the vegan sense. and a person nearly vegetarian, but struggles with certain meat aspects--might just be a flexitarian.

now i'm sounding like jeff foxworthy:

you might be a flexitarian if. . .
#30 Old 05-08-2005, 09:34 PM
Beginner

I think if one considers his or herself a flexitarian, then that's their decision to make.... aren't we always labeling one thing or another??? True, assigning a label to anything serves it's purpose so we as humans can group things easier mentally....but seriously....sub-divisions within other sub-divisions...it's just one big cycle of maybes if you ask me...

If one eat's meat occasionally....fine....they could be considered as a meat-eater. If they choose to refer theirself as flexitarian...that's cool too....as if our opinion will effect their decision as to what to classifiy theirself as anyways.....right?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page