Racially offensive terms - Page 2 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#31 Old 04-15-2005, 11:35 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mollie

what if they were the last human and last non human?

it boils down to survival....your kind should always come first"

"Doesn't that line of thinking perpetuate rascism?"

]"Not in that context......"

This was a recent conversation in a prev post. (origional post made by myself..and the responses to that post)

This is a very good example of how someone can say (write) something that could be percieved as "racial", but where it was not inteded to be so. I think it depends on the reciever as well as the sender in the communication.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 Old 04-16-2005, 12:14 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
This is a very good example of how someone can say (write) something that could be percieved as "racial", but where it was not inteded to be so. I think it depends on the reciever as well as the sender in the communication.

No Mollie, that is different. When i responded with "doesn't that line of thinking perpetuate rascism" to your comment that "your kind should always come first", I didn't infer a racial slur. In fact, I knew you didn't mean to imply anything having to do with rascism. I was trying to point out that the concept of looking at beings as either "my kind or not" is what has led to social problems like rascism.
#33 Old 04-16-2005, 12:20 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tame View Post

That was one of the best comedy sketches I have ever seen.

OMG...it's so funny it hurts!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#34 Old 04-16-2005, 05:07 AM

I can't stand to listen to Chris Rock. He's so anti-white. I believe he's a racist. Try getting some white guy up there raggin on black people the way he does and see what happens. Nowadays it see PC to rag on white people but a big taboo for white people to rag on black people (in the comedy world).
#35 Old 04-16-2005, 07:43 AM
Veggie Regular

There aren't enough racial insults directed towards white people. I think there need to be more. I can only think of "whiteboy" and "whitey".
#36 Old 04-16-2005, 07:52 AM

Cracker, honkey, white trash, Uncle Tom, Wigger....
#37 Old 04-16-2005, 08:32 AM
Veggie Regular

Oh I LOVE the term white trash. I use it to describe myself regularly.

I am taking the power out of this word by using it to describe myself and my friends in a joking and friendly way. Every time I can take the power out of that terribly hurtful phrase (white trash--which I was commonly called as a child), I am empowering myself and my people.

B
#38 Old 04-16-2005, 08:34 AM

First of all, I do not believe anything said was racist. Saying "shoe shiner" (<- note the omission of the word "boy"), and "water boy" are not racist terms. Besides, just because Tame has Shaft as his avatar, does not mean he is black. I have RZA as my avatar, he is black, yet I am not.
#39 Old 04-16-2005, 08:38 AM

I am not offended by cracker, honkey, etc. I think the term "white trash" is appropriate as there are some people who simply live up to that term.
#40 Old 04-16-2005, 08:42 AM
Banned

I call my brothers white trash.
#41 Old 04-16-2005, 08:43 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by FalafelsRule View Post

Besides, just because Tame has Shaft as his avatar, does not mean he is black. I have RZA as my avatar, he is black, yet I am not.

So true! I have the Vegan Police as my avatar, but that doesn't necessarily mean I am one of them.
#42 Old 04-16-2005, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshTart View Post

No, once the "I thought you were white" came out, then I knew what it was all about.

But I really didn't see anything wrong. I'm almost 30, so I'm not that young, but I never grew up in the US. We have our own issues here.

I still think Tame is white as I never have seen a picture of him, and I do not recall any instance of him referring to himself as black. Some of you are actually being stereotypical for assuming he is black.

My jab was simply of political nature as it is obvious he leans to the right of the political spectrum. I do not have any reason to lie about it. If I meant otherwise, I would just say so.
#43 Old 04-16-2005, 08:49 AM

He has said he's black. I remember it from way back. I don't have time or the patience to hunt for something so trivial though just to provide proof.

In the end, it really doesn't matter if you are a small blue smurf on the other end of the keyboard. Doesn't effect my life one little bit.
#44 Old 04-16-2005, 08:49 AM

Quote:

I have RZA as my avatar

From the slums of Shaolin, Wu-Tang Clan strikes again

The RZA, The GZA, Ol' Dirty ******* (RIP), Inspectah Deck, Raekwon the Chef, U-God, Ghostface Killah and the Method Man
#45 Old 04-16-2005, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin View Post

From the slums of Shaolin, Wu-Tang Clan strikes again

The RZA, The GZA, Ol' Dirty ******* (RIP), Inspectah Deck, Raekwon the Chef, U-God, Ghostface Killah and the Method Man

Hell yeah! Wu-Tang Forever.
#46 Old 04-16-2005, 10:10 AM
Banned

Quote:

I still think Tame is white as I never have seen a picture of him, and I do not recall any instance of him referring to himself as black. Some of you are actually being stereotypical for assuming he is black.

My jab was simply of political nature as it is obvious he leans to the right of the political spectrum. I do not have any reason to lie about it. If I meant otherwise, I would just say so.

It's interesting that never seen someone=they must be white.

White is seen as normal and everything else is "other." Sorry if saying this makes me racist, but I'm sure many of you have caught yourselves reading an author, seeing a comment posted on a message board, and, unless there is specific evidence to the contrary, assuming that they are white.

Unless I specifically tell people otherwise, they usually assume I'm white.
#47 Old 04-16-2005, 10:10 AM
Veggie Regular

I have a super hot guy as my avatar and I am not a hot guy.
#48 Old 04-16-2005, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysteriouspoet View Post

Unless I specifically tell people otherwise, they usually assume I'm white.

Well, you are, at least part of you is (you did say you are mixed right?).
#49 Old 04-16-2005, 10:19 AM
Veggie Regular

A lot of times in a chat room, people will assume I'm either black or from India. I'm not sure why. One guy accused me of lying when I insisted I was an American.
#50 Old 04-16-2005, 10:19 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

When I read the original post in question, that was my first impression. I took his referring to Tame as the "shoe shiner" or "water boy" for the Kerry camp to be a dig that he would do a "lowly" job for the candidate he did not support.

So, for what it's worth, I believe you FR.....
#51 Old 04-16-2005, 10:20 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysteriouspoet View Post

It's interesting that never seen someone=they must be white.

I have to say, I find that quite interesting myself.

B
#52 Old 04-16-2005, 10:21 AM

I tend to be more of a carmel color in the summer. But I, like everyone else, am still pink and red on the inside. So, waddazitmatta??
#53 Old 04-16-2005, 10:24 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
The norm of American identity has been so equated historically with whiteness that the very term white American in most situations is repetitive and redundant. Americans of color require a modifying term such as African or Asian or Hispanic. The term European American has been invented to extend the logic of geographic origins for different races, but in the absence of any color modifier, the term American means white.

Yu, Henry How Tiger Woods Lost his Stripes - Post-Nationalist American Studies as a History of Race, Migration and the Commodification of Culture in Rowe, John Carlos (ed): Post-Nationalist American Studies.
#54 Old 04-16-2005, 10:25 AM
Veggie Regular

I completely understand your pov ruthieb....but in the US at least, this is of very great importance...

Otherwise we would not be here, having this discussion, and FR's thread about interractial dating would not have gotten nearly so many views...five pages or so of responses, thousands of views.

People want to talk about this but we're not supposed to...we have weird feelings about race because of what parents and or culture has shown us...and yet our response is supposed to be silence on the subject as it is uncomfortable.

I live in the South...it's a BIG deal here. So we know that here, at least, in the US, it matters.

B
#55 Old 04-16-2005, 10:29 AM
Banned

Quote:

Well, you are, at least part of you is (you did say you are mixed right?).

That was almost funny...not.
#56 Old 04-16-2005, 10:32 AM

I live in the urban city..Cleveland, which is very mixed from African American, Hispanic, Polish, Iranian, Italian, Puerto Rican, and European. Maybe that's why I don't see/feel it as much?? I'm talking about racially motivated crap. It's just not a big deal around here. I'm sure it exists...it can all be rainbows and sunshine. But, I can go to a club and see a good mix of people of all nationalities/backgrounds groovin and dancin together. I can go to the park and see older people playing chess together, or mixed couples laying around together on the beach..stuff like that.

Now, I can drive into Parma, which is predominently white and middle to upper class, and to a point I feel out of place. It's weird.

ETA: Cleveland is 41.5% white, 51% african american, 7.3% hispanic or latino . Median houshold income = $25,000+. Persons below poverty = more than 26%

Charlotte, NC on the otherhand is 58.3% white and only 32.7% african american. Median household income = $46,000+. Persons below poverty = more than 10%.
#57 Old 04-16-2005, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satya View Post

When I read the original post in question, that was my first impression. I took his referring to Tame as the "shoe shiner" or "water boy" for the Kerry camp to be a dig that he would do a "lowly" job for the candidate he did not support.

So, for what it's worth, I believe you FR.....

He's lying. Theres a history here from another board. He knows perfectly well what Tame's race is. Then to add the "boy" tag on to it only confirms his intent.
#58 Old 04-16-2005, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddhadragon View Post

He's lying. Theres a history here from another board. He knows perfectly well what Tame's race is. Then to add the "boy" tag on to it only confirms his intent.

I have no reason to lie. I admit, I do not read much of what Tame has posted, and I joined this board in 11-03. Still, I haven't seen anything which states what race he is. Besides, what are water boys called besides water boys?

Don't be mad because someone can realize what I am saying is true and you cannot due to your hatred towards me. Give it a break. It seems like you seach out for my posts just so that I may give you some negative attention.
#59 Old 04-16-2005, 10:49 AM

Water girls?? Water people?? Water Person??
#60 Old 04-16-2005, 10:50 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsRuthieB View Post

Cracker, honkey, white trash, Uncle Tom, Wigger....

Uncle Tom is a term directed at blacks...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page