I don't care what you eat - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
#1 Old 04-13-2005, 04:48 PM
Veggie Regular
 
delicious's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 2,882
I read that a lot here. And it's said in the tone of, "Because although I am personally a vegetarian, I am not a judgemental a-hole."



Well, I do care what others eat, if their diet causes unnecessary suffering and death to innocent beings. I care! I care! and I am not ashamed.



That doesn't mean that I am a judgemental a-hole. It means that I am consistent.
delicious is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#2 Old 04-13-2005, 04:50 PM
Veggie Regular
 
Alfiedog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 2,905
Quote:
Originally Posted by delicious View Post

I read that a lot here. And it's said in the tone of, "Because although I am personally a vegetarian, I am not a judgemental a-hole."



Well, I do care what others eat, if their diet causes unnecessary suffering and death to innocent beings. I care! I care! and I am not ashamed.



That doesn't mean that I am a judgemental a-hole. It means that I am consistent.



Alfiedog is offline  
#3 Old 04-13-2005, 05:00 PM
Veggie Regular
 
rainbowmoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 4,204
I care what people eat because I like to see people make the best choices possible for their bodies and their world. That said, I don't JUDGE people based on what they eat- I may care, but I don't judge. Thats the difference, for me.
rainbowmoon is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#4 Old 04-13-2005, 05:00 PM
Banned
 
Kurmudgeon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 5,034
Quote:
Originally Posted by delicious View Post

Well, I do care what others eat, if their diet causes unnecessary suffering and death to innocent beings. I care! I care! and I am not ashamed.



Same here. I care about the non-human animal suffering, so to say "I don't care at all what others eat" would be like saying I am okay with such suffering, just as long as I am trying not to take part.
Kurmudgeon is offline  
#5 Old 04-13-2005, 05:15 PM
Veggie Regular
 
Pasta>Cruelty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 2,595
I see what you mean. I won't force others to eat what I eat, but I do prefer seeing and hearing about vegetarians because I know that they are helping the animals.
Pasta>Cruelty is offline  
#6 Old 04-13-2005, 05:19 PM
Veggie Regular
 
zoebird's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 8,451
in all honestly, i don't care what people eat, as long as they are thinking about what they eat and why they eat it.



to me, it is more important that people are making informed, conscientious decisions about their food choices than what, specifically, they are eating. most people do not think about their food at all, or aren't informed about their food at all. People who are informed, generally consistantly choose positive choices for their own health, and that of others (human, animal, environment).



in this way, i am consistant with my own values as a vegetarian in regards to animal welfare.
zoebird is offline  
#7 Old 04-13-2005, 05:40 PM
Veggie Regular
 
Wolfie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 6,850
Quote:
Originally Posted by delicious View Post

I read that a lot here. And it's said in the tone of, "Because although I am personally a vegetarian, I am not a judgemental a-hole."



Well, I do care what others eat, if their diet causes unnecessary suffering and death to innocent beings. I care! I care! and I am not ashamed.



That doesn't mean that I am a judgemental a-hole. It means that I am consistent.



Wolfie is offline  
#8 Old 04-13-2005, 07:29 PM
Veggie Regular
 
Gracie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 1,759
I don't think it matters at all whether or not I care what other people eat. Other people are responsible for themselves. All I can do is be a good role model, give out what information seems appropriate, talk about veg*nism in a positive way, etc. I can't force people to be veg*n, and I won't waste my time & energy fretting over that.
Gracie is offline  
#9 Old 04-13-2005, 07:37 PM
Banned
 
kirkjobsluder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 4,276
I've learned that if I care too much about the stupid things everyone else does, that I just get really frustrated and cranky. I can't do anything about their behavior, I can do something about mine.
kirkjobsluder is offline  
#10 Old 04-13-2005, 08:03 PM
Veggie Regular
 
rainbowmoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 4,204
^^^ I tend to agree.
rainbowmoon is offline  
#11 Old 04-13-2005, 08:19 PM
Veggie Regular
 
bethanie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 4,914
amen kirk!
bethanie is offline  
#12 Old 04-13-2005, 11:10 PM
Veggie Regular
 
ebola's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 2,590
I AM a judgmental *******.

That doesn't necessitate that I care about what you eat though.
ebola is offline  
#13 Old 04-13-2005, 11:22 PM
Veggie Regular
 
Vicky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 4,614
yeah there is a difference between CARING and JUDGING

judging usually involves a lot of assuming .... and that hardly ever leads to any good
Vicky is offline  
#14 Old 04-14-2005, 10:03 AM
Newbie
 
GhostUser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicky View Post

yeah there is a difference between CARING and JUDGING

judging usually involves a lot of assuming .... and that hardly ever leads to any good



I think this is the important distinction. I wish everyone were vegan, so I wouldn't have to have pastrami shoved in my face or listen to people ooh and ahh over how tender the meat is. It would be nice not to have to see the death display at the supermarket whenever I shop.



However, I also know that if I get in everyone's face about their eating habits and lifestyle, that I'll just push people away from being veg*n. We ARE really stuck between a rock and a hard place in that way. It's not easy tolerating some of the meat eating world's grosser habits, but it's the only way not to be an impediment to change, IMO.







The Rev
GhostUser is offline  
#15 Old 04-14-2005, 02:00 PM
Banned
 
catgirl67's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 3,754
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gracie View Post

I don't think it matters at all whether or not I care what other people eat. Other people are responsible for themselves. All I can do is be a good role model, give out what information seems appropriate, talk about veg*nism in a positive way, etc. I can't force people to be veg*n, and I won't waste my time & energy fretting over that.



You rock Gracie!
catgirl67 is offline  
#16 Old 04-14-2005, 02:02 PM
Veggie Regular
 
Gracie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 1,759
Quote:
Originally Posted by catgirl67 View Post

You rock Gracie!



Aww... Thanks!
Gracie is offline  
#17 Old 04-14-2005, 02:06 PM
Beginner
 
MnVeggie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 183
I judge. I think my diet is morally superior. That's why I adopted it.



I don't say anything, though.
MnVeggie is offline  
#18 Old 04-14-2005, 03:23 PM
Veggie Regular
 
Thalia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 6,902
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbowmoon View Post

I care what people eat because I like to see people make the best choices possible for their bodies and their world. That said, I don't JUDGE people based on what they eat- I may care, but I don't judge. Thats the difference, for me.

Sums up how I feel.
Thalia is offline  
#19 Old 04-14-2005, 03:56 PM
Veggie Regular
 
eggplant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 4,604
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gracie View Post

I don't think it matters at all whether or not I care what other people eat. Other people are responsible for themselves. All I can do is be a good role model, give out what information seems appropriate, talk about veg*nism in a positive way, etc. I can't force people to be veg*n, and I won't waste my time & energy fretting over that.



Ditto.
eggplant is offline  
#20 Old 04-15-2005, 07:57 AM
Veggie Regular
 
spehlbaund's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 1,461
I agree, I care about what others eat because of exactly what you explained. Their eating choices affect the world around them, and if there were more veg*ns there would be less undeserved deaths. That's why I love to hear about new veg*ns, especially mainly ethical ones.
spehlbaund is offline  
#21 Old 04-15-2005, 12:20 PM
Veggie Regular
 
delicious's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 2,882
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbowmoon View Post

I care what people eat because I like to see people make the best choices possible for their bodies and their world. That said, I don't JUDGE people based on what they eat- I may care, but I don't judge. Thats the difference, for me.



Didn't you recently eat meat yourself though? It's pretty hard to judge any given behavior as "wrong" if we partake in that behavior ourselves. It would be pretty hypocritical.
delicious is offline  
#22 Old 04-15-2005, 12:21 PM
Veggie Regular
 
delicious's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 2,882
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfiedog View Post




Thanks!
delicious is offline  
#23 Old 04-15-2005, 12:27 PM
Veggie Regular
 
delicious's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 2,882
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoebird View Post

in all honestly, i don't care what people eat, as long as they are thinking about what they eat and why they eat it.



to me, it is more important that people are making informed, conscientious decisions about their food choices than what, specifically, they are eating. most people do not think about their food at all, or aren't informed about their food at all. People who are informed, generally consistantly choose positive choices for their own health, and that of others (human, animal, environment).



in this way, i am consistant with my own values as a vegetarian in regards to animal welfare.



So, as long as they think about why they want a Big Mac, it's okay for them to eat it?



What if the answer is "because it tastes good" or do they need a deeper reason? Why do reasons matter at all if butchery still occurs?!



We can all find selfish reasons to justify most anything...



How is that fair to the animals?
delicious is offline  
#24 Old 04-15-2005, 12:29 PM
Veggie Regular
 
delicious's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 2,882
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkjobsluder View Post

I've learned that if I care too much about the stupid things everyone else does, that I just get really frustrated and cranky. I can't do anything about their behavior, I can do something about mine.



Stupid I can handle. Violence, I have a hard time with. But, I'm not cranky.
delicious is offline  
#25 Old 04-15-2005, 01:14 PM
Veggie Regular
 
GOPVeggie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 620
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gracie View Post

I don't think it matters at all whether or not I care what other people eat. Other people are responsible for themselves. All I can do is be a good role model, give out what information seems appropriate, talk about veg*nism in a positive way, etc. I can't force people to be veg*n, and I won't waste my time & energy fretting over that.



I agree





Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkjobsluder View Post

I've learned that if I care too much about the stupid things everyone else does, that I just get really frustrated and cranky. I can't do anything about their behavior, I can do something about mine.



I agree



Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicky View Post

yeah there is a difference between CARING and JUDGING

judging usually involves a lot of assuming .... and that hardly ever leads to any good



I agree
GOPVeggie is offline  
#26 Old 04-15-2005, 01:22 PM
Banned
 
FreshTart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 4,674
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebola View Post

I AM a judgmental *******.



And I like you the better for it
FreshTart is offline  
#27 Old 04-15-2005, 08:37 PM
Veggie Regular
 
ynaffit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 5,058
Quote:
Originally Posted by delicious View Post

Didn't you recently eat meat yourself though? It's pretty hard to judge any given behavior as "wrong" if we partake in that behavior ourselves. It would be pretty hypocritical.

she said that she cares but does not judge.



her statement describes how i feel, too.
ynaffit is offline  
#28 Old 04-17-2005, 11:02 PM
Newbie
 
GreenThumbBum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 4
I care... If you take part in torturing an animal than I think you need to be locked up just like any other animal abuser.



What's the difference between beating an animal... And having someone else beat it and then eating it? NONE.



I get sick of the "eat what you want... blah blah"... No, don't eat what you want. We won't let you torture your animals and we won't let you torture "commodities" either.



It's time for everyone to stop walking the fence.
GreenThumbBum is offline  
#29 Old 04-17-2005, 11:21 PM
Red
Veggie Regular
 
Red's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 4,765
Who's 'we'?
Red is offline  
#30 Old 04-18-2005, 06:50 AM
Veggie Regular
 
schu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 1,111
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenThumbBum View Post

I care... If you take part in torturing an animal than I think you need to be locked up just like any other animal abuser.



What's the difference between beating an animal... And having someone else beat it and then eating it? NONE.



I get sick of the "eat what you want... blah blah"... No, don't eat what you want. We won't let you torture your animals and we won't let you torture "commodities" either.



It's time for everyone to stop walking the fence.





I can undertand your frustration and its easy to think along these lines but on the other hand I wasn't always a vegan..and never even thought I would be a vegetarian..after eating meat for however many years I can't just start hating on everyone else all of a sudden..sure I wish I could go back in time and not eat all that meat that I did but i can't do that so im going to be a little more practical and work with what i can now..which i think is in line with not judging other people based on what they eat..I certainly don't enjoy the fact that everyone else i know except for my girlfriend eats meat on a weekly basis (if not daily) ..but theres no point on torturing yourself with thoughts like this because all they will do is make you angry ..between my girlfriend and I we have inspired quite a few people around us to eat healthier and to consume less meat..they arent vegetarians but I feel like its made a difference even if only in our little corner of the world.....they are more aware of what is going on and it reflects their purchasing and consumption decisions...
schu is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in


Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off