Stupid things Vegetarians say when meat-eaters ask how they can become a Vegetarian. - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 03-15-2005, 03:34 AM

Okay we have a thread about stupid things meat-eaters have said. Now I hate the fact that people eat meat,dairy,eggs,honey ect. But when one of those people comes to us for help we should be thankful and nice to them and should help them.

How many people are sick of Vegetarians being rude to meat-eater's who are just asking questions about how they themselves can become a Vegetarian ? I am sick of it because it's rude, it makes us look bad, it can make the meat-eater give up , people who hate animal rights activist can use this against us to hurt what we are fighting for. Now people who just hate us and try to make us look bad, because we show the light, make me sick. But I say why help these people, and yes when we are rude to those who are trying to become a Vegetarian we help the ones who fight against animal rights.

Anyways I was on the Peta2 boards and a girl in High School wanted to become a Vegetarian but her parent will not let her. Of course one person had to be rude to her and say stupid stuff like your parent can't make you become a Vegetarian. Parents are very powerful we need to understand that some High School Kids are forced to eat meat, its just that simple !! Some parents will just not feed there kids, scream at them , might even hit them, or kick them out of the house if the kids does not do what their parent's say !!!

When a High School kid asks me for help because they love animals, but their parents will not let them become a Vegetarian. I thank them ( they are worthy to be thanked ) If they are cutting back on meat I thank them even more ( they are saving animals lives ). I try to help them. I try to find out why their parents make them eat meat. I try to tell them how they can explain to their parents that being a Vegetarian is so good for you. ect.

Some ARA just say they are making excuses, they say your parents can't force you to eat meat, they never say anything good about the fact that these high school kids want to become a Vegetarian, even if these High School Kids are cutting back on meat they never say that this is good, the High School Kid is saving lives if he/she cuts back on meat but its like this ARA has failed to see this, that is so amazing !!!!!!!

Other meat-eaters ask other questions. Like I love animals but can I eat Lobster, because I heard they don't feel pain. Okay I understand this sounds stupid, but have a heart the Sea Food Business did not make a lot of money by being a bunch of idiots. These Big Boses in the Sea Food Business know how to brainwash people into thinking Lobsters and Crabs don't feel pain. Now some ARA will just say why would you want to hurt a Lobster. I believe the meat-eater made it clear that they loved animals and said they heard Lobster don't feel pain, and that is why they asked if they can eat them. Maybe if the ARA would open their eyes they would see that this meat-eater does not want to hurt Lobster, that they where just asking a question. Maybe the ARA can just be nice about this question and explain to them in a nice way that yes Lobsters do feel pain. Now is that so hard ?

Why do some ARA and Vegetarians feel they have the right to be so rude to some of these meat-eaters who are just asking questions and want to become a Vegetarian ? Do they think they are just better than everyone else because inside they are thinking " I hope people look at me and think a am great because I am a Vegetarian and most people are meat-eaters, I hope they see that I am better than everyone else. " Is this one of the reasons some of them do this ?

Now if they are just trying to help animals that is good but what they don't understand is they are hurting there cause. Because being so rude is going to turn a meat-eater off. Think about it, let's say you where a meat-eater and where thinking hey I love animals maybe I could become a Vegetarian maybe I will ask some ARA for help. So you do and the only thing they say to you is stuff like you are a sick person, stop making excuses, you have no heart ect. Do you think you would still want to become a Vegetarian ? Would you start to believe that ARA are very mean people, especially when others who fight against animal rights tell you all kinds of awful things about ARA. Some of these people who fight against animal rights mix lies with the truth, they are very wise and they know how to brainwash people. Some of them make websites. Do you see how a meat-eater who wanted to become a Vegetarian, but ARA where rude to him when he asked for help and then he goes to a Website this is against animal rights, do you see how he could also start to hate animal right ? Can you just see those people who fight against animal rights telling him lies about how animal rights activist are rude people ect. ?

If anyone has any others stories like this please post them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-15-2005, 08:43 AM
Banned

I think this thread belongs elsewhere.
#3 Old 03-15-2005, 09:02 AM
Veggie Regular

perhaps on the PeTA2 board, since that's where the issue started.

but, as it is, i haven't found many vegetarians to be rude to omnivores or transitioning people. most are very excited to help and very supportive.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 03-15-2005, 09:07 AM
Beginner

This is dumb...you smell trollish
#5 Old 03-15-2005, 12:24 PM
Veggie Regular

Mostly it bugs me because why do meat eaters feel the need to get on a veggie's case in the first place, when it's never the other way around. As soon as I say I'm veg, the meat eater always says something like "but bacon tastes good".

If people around me are talking about dinner they had last night which was barbecue chicken, I don't come out and say "you're a meat eater? how disgusting." I think we're more tolerant of others because we're veg. and don't pick on people if they eat meat.

Sincere questions are fine. I'll tell them I don't eat my friends.
#6 Old 03-15-2005, 12:35 PM
Veggie Regular

Our primary social bias is that meat is not only food, but the main part of the meal. When people mention they don't eat meat, it violates a current social norm, and hence leads to a surprised, sometimes rude comment. I think the majority of them translate to "How strange! Why???" A lot of stupid things get said in that moment of surprise, and of course, people are quick to defend social norms and pull others back into them.

The good news here is that the social norm is slowly changing and as time goes on, we should start seeing fewer and fewer surprised negative responses. The bad news is that most people will know about a watered-down version of vegetarianism and you'll still have to explain that you don't eat chicken, fish, or animal broth.

Even though you seem to come across as some sort of school-yard hero, VeganTiger, I love your message. Perhaps we should put our defenses down and instead, get ready to discuss vegetarianism openly rather than preparing for another karate match. We really could spread like wildfire as we open the minds of those who inquire.
#7 Old 03-15-2005, 12:56 PM
Veggie Regular

I think it's bizzare when vegetarians are not open and supportive of others making an effort to become veg, or even just cut down on their meat intake. If someone tells me they only eat a little meat, I know they are trying to connect and identify with me, so I encourage them, thank them and maybe even take them out for a veggie dinner!

Granted, some people ask stupid questions, and are not respectfull about it, but I have actually found those to be few and far between. (and they can be ignored, or even responded to sarcastically).

Vegan tiger, I understand your frustration. We should do everything we can to encourage others and help them overcome obstacles!

http://bringingyouohm.wordpress.com/

Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavanto

'May everyone everywhere be happy
May the whole world be joyous'
#8 Old 03-15-2005, 04:05 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by synergy View Post

I think it's bizzare when vegetarians are not open and supportive of others making an effort to become veg, or even just cut down on their meat intake. If someone tells me they only eat a little meat, I know they are trying to connect and identify with me, so I encourage them, thank them and maybe even take them out for a veggie dinner!

Absolutely! celebrate and encourage the small victories I say! I unfortunately have come accros veg*ns who sneer at those who are less than purist in their diet... all that does is turn people off the idea. if someone is stepping into a veg diet slowly with baby steps..the hooray to them I say, they are more likely to stick with it if they feel in control, than if they go cold tofurkey and are chastised for any small error or slip up.
#9 Old 03-15-2005, 04:13 PM
Banned

If I ever meet one who's genuinely interested and asks me sincere questions, I will (and have) answer politely. However, the majority of times the "sincere question" has turned out to be a springboard for telling me:

- I'm going to die from malnutrition

- Atkins is the best way to lose weight

- Animals don't feel pain, and even if they do, who cares?

- Plants feel pain, so what's the difference?

- I'm a stupid, commie-pinko liberal

I know, I know. Bitter much? Thing is, I'm an introvert, I'm not an activist, and I *hate* discussing my diet. But sure as Tuesday follows Monday, the minute someone finds out I'm a veggie, *I* have to justify it.
#10 Old 03-16-2005, 06:22 AM
Veggie Regular

I do get paranoid sometimes that people are just laughing at me rather than asking genuine questions. I am kind of sarcastic with people sometimes. I feel like this actually puts people off being veggie.

If I hadn't found supportive websites when I wanted to go veggie I would have been put off by people telling me I'm a bad person etc.

I think the important thing to do is to educate people not be rude to them (which I do sometimes- being a hypocrite here).
#11 Old 03-16-2005, 07:43 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeganTiger View Post

Okay we have a thread about stupid things meat-eaters have said. Now I hate the fact that people eat meat,dairy,eggs,honey ect. But when one of those people comes to us for help we should be thankful and nice to them and should help them.

How many people are sick of Vegetarians being rude to meat-eater's who are just asking questions about how they themselves can become a Vegetarian ? I am sick of it because it's rude, it makes us look bad, it can make the meat-eater give up , people who hate animal rights activist can use this against us to hurt what we are fighting for. Now people who just hate us and try to make us look bad, because we show the light, make me sick. But I say why help these people, and yes when we are rude to those who are trying to become a Vegetarian we help the ones who fight against animal rights.

Anyways I was on the Peta2 boards and a girl in High School wanted to become a Vegetarian but her parent will not let her. Of course one person had to be rude to her and say stupid stuff like your parent can't make you become a Vegetarian. Parents are very powerful we need to understand that some High School Kids are forced to eat meat, its just that simple !! Some parents will just not feed there kids, scream at them , might even hit them, or kick them out of the house if the kids does not do what their parent's say !!!

When a High School kid asks me for help because they love animals, but their parents will not let them become a Vegetarian. I thank them ( they are worthy to be thanked ) If they are cutting back on meat I thank them even more ( they are saving animals lives ). I try to help them. I try to find out why their parents make them eat meat. I try to tell them how they can explain to their parents that being a Vegetarian is so good for you. ect.

Some ARA just say they are making excuses, they say your parents can't force you to eat meat, they never say anything good about the fact that these high school kids want to become a Vegetarian, even if these High School Kids are cutting back on meat they never say that this is good, the High School Kid is saving lives if he/she cuts back on meat but its like this ARA has failed to see this, that is so amazing !!!!!!!

Other meat-eaters ask other questions. Like I love animals but can I eat Lobster, because I heard they don't feel pain. Okay I understand this sounds stupid, but have a heart the Sea Food Business did not make a lot of money by being a bunch of idiots. These Big Boses in the Sea Food Business know how to brainwash people into thinking Lobsters and Crabs don't feel pain. Now some ARA will just say why would you want to hurt a Lobster. I believe the meat-eater made it clear that they loved animals and said they heard Lobster don't feel pain, and that is why they asked if they can eat them. Maybe if the ARA would open their eyes they would see that this meat-eater does not want to hurt Lobster, that they where just asking a question. Maybe the ARA can just be nice about this question and explain to them in a nice way that yes Lobsters do feel pain. Now is that so hard ?

Why do some ARA and Vegetarians feel they have the right to be so rude to some of these meat-eaters who are just asking questions and want to become a Vegetarian ? Do they think they are just better than everyone else because inside they are thinking " I hope people look at me and think a am great because I am a Vegetarian and most people are meat-eaters, I hope they see that I am better than everyone else. " Is this one of the reasons some of them do this ?

Now if they are just trying to help animals that is good but what they don't understand is they are hurting there cause. Because being so rude is going to turn a meat-eater off. Think about it, let's say you where a meat-eater and where thinking hey I love animals maybe I could become a Vegetarian maybe I will ask some ARA for help. So you do and the only thing they say to you is stuff like you are a sick person, stop making excuses, you have no heart ect. Do you think you would still want to become a Vegetarian ? Would you start to believe that ARA are very mean people, especially when others who fight against animal rights tell you all kinds of awful things about ARA. Some of these people who fight against animal rights mix lies with the truth, they are very wise and they know how to brainwash people. Some of them make websites. Do you see how a meat-eater who wanted to become a Vegetarian, but ARA where rude to him when he asked for help and then he goes to a Website this is against animal rights, do you see how he could also start to hate animal right ? Can you just see those people who fight against animal rights telling him lies about how animal rights activist are rude people ect. ?

If anyone has any others stories like this please post them.

I am only strict with close friends and family members...and only those I KNOW were vegetarian at one point, but stopped.

I think people who say lobsters don't feel pain are pretty idiotic. All you have to do is make the slightest bit of effort to educate yourself. And if someone loves animals as you say, why would they want to eat a lobster upon discovering that they don't feel pain? Is the thought process somewhat like: Oh I love animals but I still love the way their flesh tastes, maybe I can find a happy compromise...

Ugh.
#12 Old 03-16-2005, 11:18 AM

I don't like it when some ARA give others a hard time who are trying to go Vegetarian, that is what I was saying.

I also know that many times meat-eaters give Vegetarian's a hard time I don't like that either. As for the Lobster thing if a person goes wants to go Vegetarian because they love animals and ask if they can eat a Lobster if they fill pain, this could mean that they want to go Vegetarian because they just heard of the awful ways animals where treated in factory farms. So they think maybe they can eat a Lobster if it does not feel pain. Of course even if Lobster's or Cow's did not feel pain it's still murder, but at least the person asking seems to care about animals as far as not wanting them to feel pain. In time maybe they will even start to understand that killing animals quick and painless for food just because we like the taste of it is still murder. But it's better to be nice to them.

I had a girl who wanted to go Vegetarian because she loves animals ask me if she could eat stuff like Lobster or Crab. She must have heard they don't feel pain. I was happy that she wanted to become a Vegetarian. I told her well a Vegetarian does not eat any flesh and Lobster's and Crab or flesh. I explained that murder is murder and that they do feel pain. I was nice about it. So she did not eat Lobster and Crab. She is a Vegetarian. I know she cares about animals and I know she loved them when she asked me this and even before. So there is proof that at least one person who wanted to become a Vegetarian and asked if she could eat Lobster and Crab that they where a caring person.
#13 Old 03-21-2005, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysteriouspoet View Post

I think this thread belongs elsewhere.

Well its true that I heard something on the Peta2 boards and that helped caused me to start this thread. But its not just people on Peta2, its other Vegetarian who give meat-eaters a hard time. What happend on Peta2 was just one example
#14 Old 03-23-2005, 02:28 AM
Banned

I'm sure there are veg*ns who give omnis a hard time. There are veg*ns on this board who are pretty critical of ovo-lacto vegetarians.

Personally, I never had anyone give me any grief when I was an omni.

The "gentle education" approach worked for me. Had anyone come down hard on me and called me a murderer for eating a cheese burger, I wouldn't be veg today.
#15 Old 03-26-2005, 07:48 PM
Veggie Regular

The next time someone asks me if I eat seafood, I plan to respond with a pleasant "No, I don't care for kelp". Would this count as a stupid thing?

wrt ovo-lactos -- while I now wonder WTF I was thinking when I was one myself, it is at least a step.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page