"Choosing" Mental Illness - Page 4 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#91 Old 03-01-2005, 04:21 PM

Don't give up, Organica. It may also be a matter of finding the right combination of medication, therapy, and lifestyle.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#92 Old 03-01-2005, 04:57 PM
Veggie Regular

Yup organica, keep working on it.

B
#93 Old 03-01-2005, 06:19 PM

BTW, I meant to post this a couple of days ago: There have been studies that show that thought patterns will actually establish a kind of "groove" in your brain that makes it more likely that the same patterns will repeat/become stronger. That is, negative thoughts will, in effect, establish a physical propensity for continued and increased negative thoughts. That's why cognitive therapy/cognitive awareness is so important. By focusing on the negative, by letting negative thoughts be, you are actually creating a downward spiral that makes deprssion worse, which of course leads to more negative thoughts, which...etc., etc. And that's something that can be physically tracked in your brain.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#94 Old 03-01-2005, 09:27 PM
Veggie Regular

>>BTW, I meant to post this a couple of days ago: There have been studies that show that thought patterns will actually establish a kind of "groove" in your brain that makes it more likely that the same patterns will repeat/become stronger. That is, negative thoughts will, in effect, establish a physical propensity for continued and increased negative thoughts. That's why cognitive therapy/cognitive awareness is so important. By focusing on the negative, by letting negative thoughts be, you are actually creating a downward spiral that makes deprssion worse, which of course leads to more negative thoughts, which...etc., etc. And that's something that can be physically tracked in your brain.>>

If we accept that the mind is physical, seated in but not limited to the brain, then this is necessarily true. What else would experience be but pattern of neurochemical activity elicited in response to the body and external environment? Anyway, if you've seen the same studies I have, these go so far as to argue that CBT will have a measurable effect on neuromodulatory function (e.g., levels of serotonin).

ebola

np: atom heart
#95 Old 03-01-2005, 09:50 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebola View Post

If we accept that the mind is physical, seated in but not limited to the brain,

I don't accept that. But I'm a bit of a cogsci heretic. I think that talking about the brain as isolated in the skull is a bit misleading.
#96 Old 03-02-2005, 02:20 PM
Veggie Regular

>>I don't accept that. But I'm a bit of a cogsci heretic. I think that talking about the brain as isolated in the skull is a bit misleading.>>

I was actually a bit unclear and am inclined to agree with you. There was a reason I said that the mind is "seated in BUT NOT LIMITED to the brain". The non-brain body is integral to the emergence of subjective experience. The most glaring example I can think of off the top of my head is the role of activity in the sympathetic nervous system in the experience of emotion. I would also wager that if we ever have brains in vats, we would need some sort of device that simulates the body's input to come near to approximating human experience.

ebola

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page