Bush's budget axe to fall on poor - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 02-07-2005, 12:57 PM
Veggie Regular

President Bush is proposing to reduce spending on public health and social welfare in the US to help pay for tax cuts and the war in Iraq, according to early reports of today's White House budget.

In an attempt to keep government spending under control at a time of record deficits, Mr Bush's proposals to Congress will include cuts in public housing subsidies, in health projects aimed at diseases related to poverty, and in food stamps, which help America's poorest buy groceries.

Mr Bush inherited a budget surplus from Bill Clinton but is now running deficits of over $400bn (£215bn) a year, partly as a result of an economic slump and the September 11 attacks. But the turnaround is also due to huge tax cuts which disproportionately benefit the wealthiest 1% of Americans, and the war in Iraq, for which the administration has asked for another $80bn this year.

Some state governments provide food stamps not only to families on welfare but also to those receiving job-related aid such as for childcare. The new budget would restrict that practice, the Los Angeles Times reported yesterday.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/usa/story/...407400,00.html

More Compassionate Conservatism!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-07-2005, 01:00 PM
Banned

Who better to have it fall on? They don't contribute to the wealth, they deserve...nothing.
#3 Old 02-07-2005, 01:03 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvTheGOP View Post

Who better to have it fall on? They don't contribute to the wealth, they deserve...nothing.

That is right!

You are worth only the money you make. That is a great motto. [/sarcasm]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 02-07-2005, 01:03 PM
Veggie Regular

Yes, Social Darwinism is wonderful.
#5 Old 02-07-2005, 01:05 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Quote:
More Compassionate Conservatism!

Thanks for reinforcing my image of Republicans as people who care about nothing but their own pockets.

*this space not for sale*
#6 Old 02-07-2005, 02:26 PM
Veggie Regular

Arrrgggggg. Is there no end with this man?

I hope there are not more slashing steps in the future. I hope he doesn't cut mental health programs, which are parred down to the bone as is. I hope he doesn't follow in Reagan's footsteps there. I hope and pray he doesn't mess with social security mental disability. I know I was stupid since I've never voted Republican since 1973 and I didn't vote for him, but he looked so harmless when he was first elected. You'd think I'd remembered Iran-Contra. Since then I've read (parts of) a couple books outlining the Bush's dynasty and how devious they all are.
#7 Old 02-07-2005, 02:38 PM
Veggie Regular

speaking of the bush dynasty...

anyone read House of Bush, House of Saud?
#8 Old 02-07-2005, 02:42 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

#9 Old 02-07-2005, 02:43 PM
Veggie Regular

There's a very similar thread going in the Frugal Forum. Maybe a moderator could merge the two threads?
#10 Old 02-07-2005, 02:53 PM
Beginner

Quote:

They will, if they're given a chance and a paycheque. And they still do, if you can get your ***** and look around a bit They're just being exploited, that's all!
#11 Old 02-07-2005, 03:03 PM

Oh no, the poor deserve to be poor. After all, poverty is a moral failing.
#12 Old 02-07-2005, 03:06 PM
Veggie Regular

We should all just work and put our pay into a big pot and divvy it up equally among the masses.
#13 Old 02-07-2005, 03:09 PM

Well, yeah, Drake. It's not as though Jesus said anything really stupid like "Whatever you do to the least of these you do to me", that would be of concern to committed Christians like you.
#14 Old 02-07-2005, 03:11 PM
Veggie Regular

So true. Where's Karl Marx when you need him most
#15 Old 02-07-2005, 03:15 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by drake1 View Post

I heard he gets channelled through Jesus.
#16 Old 02-07-2005, 03:15 PM
Veggie Regular

Strange, I thought I talked to him through the TV one day while listening to Robert Tilton
#17 Old 02-07-2005, 03:17 PM
Veggie Regular

He was giving me tax shelter advice
#18 Old 02-07-2005, 03:18 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by drake1 View Post

We should all just work and put our pay into a big pot and divvy it up equally among the masses.

Ummmm... no, but if you were in Russia a few years back the govt. there would have loved you
#19 Old 02-07-2005, 03:25 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpy View Post

Ummmm... no, but if you were in Russia a few years back the govt. there would have loved you

I think he was being sarcastic.

PS. The gov't in Russia didn't actually love equitable redistribution. The USSR made sure that there was a vanguaard of beurocrats and technocrats who had much more power/money than the average worker. So much for the "revolution".
#20 Old 02-07-2005, 03:27 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Ummmm... no,

Oh yes! If we could just all agree to full redistribution of wealth this country would flourish and everyone would live in total harmony without poverty and no little children going hungry
#21 Old 02-07-2005, 03:28 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrodolfox View Post

PS. The gov't in Russia didn't actually love equitable redistribution. The USSR made sure that there was a vanguaard of beurocrats and technocrats who had much more power/money than the average worker. So much for the "revolution".

Yep, I know! I was too. I hear ya about the "revolution".
#22 Old 02-07-2005, 03:29 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

I bet you go around at Christmas telling littel kids there is no Santa Claus......

some people ruin all the fun
#23 Old 02-07-2005, 06:10 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Quote:

I think there is something between communism and social darwinism.

Like, providing for the needs of everyone, but allowing people to rise above their needs if they can find a way.

False Dichotomy. Do you have anything else, or should we just stop this now?
#24 Old 02-07-2005, 07:40 PM
Veggie Regular

Something about this thread I find depressing...'perhaps I've walked too far today.'

B
#25 Old 02-07-2005, 08:14 PM

Quote:

If it's a choice between handouts and freedom, I take freedom. If it's a choice between handouts, and sending kids who should be chasing girls overseas to die in a war of dubious merit, I'll take the handouts.

That, folks, is the LIBERTARIAN difference. We believe in the more efficient waste of taxpayers money.

The Rev
#26 Old 02-07-2005, 08:40 PM
Veggie Regular

I figured out what it is about this thread I find depressing...all the 'below the poverty line' children I work with who's parents rely on those handouts that are going to get axed. There is absolutely nothing funny or hopeful about hearing the stories some of my kids have to tell about where their parents are living this week. I know...I've read Ishmael and I get it about population control and survival of the fittest. I've just got too many short friends who will be effected to not care.

B
#27 Old 02-07-2005, 08:53 PM
Veggie Regular

>>If it's a choice between handouts and freedom, I take freedom.>>

It, of course, is not.

ebola

np: NIN - Eraser
#28 Old 02-07-2005, 09:02 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethanie View Post

I figured out what it is about this thread I find depressing...all the 'below the poverty line' children I work with who's parents rely on those handouts that are going to get axed. There is absolutely nothing funny or hopeful about hearing the stories some of my kids have to tell about where their parents are living this week. I know...I've read Ishmael and I get it about population control and survival of the fittest. I've just got too many short friends who will be effected to not care.

B

When I unexpectedly got pregnant 2 years ago, I decided it would be best if I stayed home with our baby. This cut our income by more than half, and after rent & utilities, we only had $200/month for EVERYTHING - food, clothing, medical bills, etc. It was pretty much impossible.

Then I discovered Washington state programs that could help. Due to our low income, we got on WIC (Women, Infants & Children) that gives free food coupons for certain foods, and we got on medical coupons that gave us FREE healthcare. It was a miracle. We would not have survived without it.

Before I got married I came from a family who never had to worry about money. I had thought I would NEVER take help from anyone. Then, when the health & survival of my own family came into question, I was SO glad that the government came through to help.

There are families out there that are so much worse off than we were! I know a family with 3 young children whose income is only $1000/month! They work so hard, and love their kids so much, and RELY on these types of programs for their mere survival.

I see so much waste in this society. Millions of dollars spent to renovate a museum. Billions spent on weapons. Excessive waste spent on PR functions for government officials...there are SO MANY OTHER THINGS that can be cut! It appalls me that this country is stealing from the one group of people who is barely surviving as it is.

I can do without our highways being renovated. Homeless families CANNOT do without food and shelter.
#29 Old 02-07-2005, 09:07 PM
Veggie Regular

Yup...I agree colorful. I don't make a lot of money as a teaching assistant, but I choose to do it now because I want to teach. And I also get child support for my daughter (over half of which goes to pay for child care). We are right there struggling, but the thing is... I know of mothers who don't get child support at all. I quite simply KNOW they would not make it without the 'handouts' that are so sneered at by some. I've never had to use governmental assistance, but I'm so happy to know it is in place for people who need it...when they need it.

B
#30 Old 02-07-2005, 09:08 PM

I totally agree with the last three posts.

Here in Missouri, the newly elected Republican governor (who ran on a "moral values" platform) is slashing Medicaid.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page