Double Standards:Sensuality & Society - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 12-19-2004, 09:08 AM
Veggie Regular

So I am thinking about sensuality and the human experience...Why are people prudes/judgemental about some things yet let other things "slide" or are openly in support of other types of seemingly similar (taboo) issues?

I am starting this thread to discuss issues surrounding censorship/judgement as it relates to the human form and it's (apparently controversial) place in our community or society in general.

In plain English- I got a few nasty/rude/judgemental comments about a pic I posted. I was curious if I was the only one who showed a bit of skin and so browsed the other photos members have posted and saw a few bikini pics, several boob shots and more...

What some find erotic/inappropriate, I find to be merely a display of the human form.

Neither my pics or the afore-mentioned similarly-clad or exposed pics are even close to being as "extreme" as what anyone could see on regular television on any given afternoon or evening r ven at a county faire or beach.

I personally believe some of the other pics (like the underage girls who post many pics of themselves in dress-up or looking forlornly off into the great beyond or the heroin-chic type pics) have the propensity to be controversial/disturbing or fodder for an inappropriate thought than a pic of me, (taken by someone else) a consenting adult in hot pants and heels...

There are pics of girls kissing girls, men and women embracing (things obviously of a sexual nature) yet a simple stretch of flesh (less than you'd see at the beach) is a problem for some...why is this?

For the record, I personally am okay with *all* of the pics I have seen in the gallery...except for those non-vegan ones I just saw...just kidding
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 12-19-2004, 09:17 AM

I am okay with the pictures in the gallery, too. In fact, I'd still be okay with them if we had nude pictures there in a seperate section with the normal *I agree that I am 18 years of age or older disclaimer*. Prude = boring.

I also agree that there isn't anything inappropriate with what you uploaded. Unfortuantely, I just think some people may have personal issues and may be envious of your good looks.
#3 Old 12-19-2004, 09:23 AM
Baby Love

I think a lot of it just has to do with who happens to view the photo and what happens to be their first reaction. Perhaps someone wandering around a party is their skivies brings on a far more 'naughty' image than someone at home in something skimpy? Honestly, I was not bothered by your picture. Its not even close enough to see any details of your form
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 12-19-2004, 09:25 AM
Baby Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by FalafelsRule View Post

I am okay with the pictures in the gallery, too. In fact, I'd still be okay with them if we had nude pictures there in a seperate section with the normal *I agree that I am 18 years of age or older disclaimer*. Prude = boring.

Nudie shots on VB? Hehe. Do we have to show an ID to get in?
#5 Old 12-19-2004, 09:27 AM
Veggie Regular

I just went to look at the pictures, you are gorgeous.

I don't think it's necessarily bad that you're showing skin, it's not like you're showing up at work or at school dressed like that. You're clearly at some sort of event where it's appropriate to show off a little. I wonder if the people who commented to you kept that in mind?

Everyone has their own idea of what is good and bad, right and wrong, and some of them think that everyone should feel the same way they do. There are people here who think God=good, God=bad, skinny=good, skinny=bad, fat=good, fat=bad. We have to all realize that everyone is different and we have different beleifs.
#6 Old 12-19-2004, 09:30 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elena99 View Post

Everyone has their own idea of what is good and bad, right and wrong, and some of them think that everyone should feel the same way they do. There are people here who think God=good, God=bad, skinny=good, skinny=bad, fat=good, fat=bad. We have to all realize that everyone is different and we have different beleifs.

Thank you. You said this and in doing so, brought forth much of what I was feeling, in a more succint and articulate manner than I could, since I was irritated (a bit) when I started this (hey I am only human and a sensitve one too ).
#7 Old 12-19-2004, 09:43 AM
Veggie Regular

Who gave you those judgmental comments? I'll beat 'em up! Kidding.

I think they're jealous of your bod!
#8 Old 12-19-2004, 10:01 AM

I agree. They're jealous...you look stunning and I see nothing in the least bit wrong with your pictures. Matter of fact I'd like to see more!
#9 Old 12-19-2004, 10:18 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxy View Post

So I am thinking about sensuality and the human experience...Why are people prudes/judgemental about some things yet let other things "slide" or are openly in support of other types of seemingly similar (taboo) issues?

Because they were told to be prudes about somethings from their upbringing ( churches, parents, culture) and not told to be prudes about other things from their upbringing.

Quote:

In plain English- I got a few nasty/rude/judgemental comments about a pic I posted. I was curious if I was the only one who showed a bit of skin and so browsed the other photos members have posted and saw a few bikini pics, several boob shots and more...

People are afraid of what they don't understand or what threatens their belief, especially beliefs that give them psychological security. Yoda had it right, fear morphs into anger and nastiness.

Quote:

What some find erotic/inappropriate, I find to be merely a display of the human form.

Ditto. IMHO it is sick belief system that finds our very own bodies and how we reproduce.......our very own nature to be obscene.

Quote:

There are pics of girls kissing girls, men and women embracing (things obviously of a sexual nature)

I see nothing wrong with those kind of pictures either.

Quote:

yet a simple stretch of flesh (less than you'd see at the beach) is a problem for some...why is this?

Because it was your picture, not theirs. Basic hyprocrisy probably. Welcome to planet Earth.

My Blog: beforewisdom.com
#10 Old 12-19-2004, 11:21 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by beforewisdom View Post

I see nothing wrong with those kind of pictures either.

Neither do I. As I said, I am okay with all of the pics mentioned...and you are right on the money as to why some people are so judgemental.
#11 Old 12-19-2004, 11:23 AM

Women can be very catty sometimes. I think it almost always boils down to them feeling less attractive in some way.
#12 Old 12-19-2004, 11:44 AM

Krista got a ton of flack for her pics too. I don't see anything wrong with hers either.
#13 Old 12-19-2004, 12:26 PM
Veggie Regular

I know how to solve everything.

Everyone go nudie!
#14 Old 12-19-2004, 01:42 PM
Baby Love

Woohoo! *streaks thru VB*
#15 Old 12-19-2004, 01:50 PM
Veggie Regular

I want to see!!!

Where do I go?

#16 Old 12-19-2004, 01:57 PM
Veggie Regular

Found the pics!

You are such a hottie..nothing bad there..your at a nightclub!Who said anything bad about your pic?
#17 Old 12-19-2004, 01:59 PM
Veggie Regular

*takes the cue from Jinga and does so herself*

I'm FREE!
#18 Old 12-19-2004, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsRuthieB View Post

Krista got a ton of flack for her pics too. I don't see anything wrong with hers either.

Mine wasn't even psoted in a "look at me!" sort of way. It was an example to the girls and women recovering from eating disorders to see a vital, alive, not-quite-perfect-but-still-lovely body and that *I*, a person who once had an ED, could look at myself and say "I'm beautiful just the way I am." However, everyone thought I was just posting photos of myself in my underwear and wanted to make fun of me.

Now, about the prude comments. Beforewisdom, you are off-base.

Quote:
People are afraid of what they don't understand or what threatens their belief, especially beliefs that give them psychological security.

and

Quote:
Ditto. IMHO it is sick belief system that finds our very own bodies and how we reproduce.......our very own nature to be obscene.

I am a prude. I don't believe in casual sex, I don't believe 2 months is an acceptable time before you get naked with someone, I don't believe in going to a park to have anonymous sex, I don't agree with treating sex like a sneeze, and I don't believe in having sex with someone until you are ready to commit to spending your life with that person.

I don't feel threatened by people who do this; I just disagree with it. we all have things and activities we believe are private vs public. Bowel movements and sex are things that are private to my beliefs and I find anyone who deviates from that to hold a lower dating or sometimes even friendship standard. Likewise, FR (and I will use him b/c he's talked about it so often) holds anyone who deviates from a vegetarian standard to hold a lower dating standard*.

*There was a time when I saw a difference between these sorts of example, but I've since changed my opinion.
#19 Old 12-19-2004, 02:05 PM
Veggie Regular

Krista, I agree with your beliefs on sex.
#20 Old 12-19-2004, 02:09 PM
Veggie Regular

I think you look hot, and not inappropriate. Some people are shy about their bodies and instead of going "why wouldn't I feel comfortable dressing like that?" they turn around and say "Why in the world would you feel comfortable dressed like that???" Its YOUR fault you are happy in your body, not their fault that they're shy in theirs. I have a pic in the gallery where I'm dressed like a hoe (admittedly, it was a costume for a play), and another where I appear to be not wearing pants. The first elicited response only from one member, the second people found hysterical (as did I!). So I guess there's no way to predict what will set people off, but I think its largely their problem, not yours.

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
#21 Old 12-19-2004, 02:12 PM

Foxy-Were they commenting on your Ms. Santa outfit you did for that charity thing?
#22 Old 12-19-2004, 02:35 PM

I didn't get why she was at a party wearing the outfit, moreso then the ethics/sexuality/ho rating of the santa suit. Once I saw the drag queen photo, then her outfit made more sense.

#23 Old 12-19-2004, 02:35 PM

I dont see a problem with the pictures.
#24 Old 12-19-2004, 03:15 PM
Veggie Regular

What missleigh said. I myself am guilty of thinking to myself 'hussy' when I see a hottie. That's my problem, though, not theirs.
#25 Old 12-19-2004, 03:21 PM
Veggie Regular

I didn't see anything wrong/slutty/contoversial about your pictures Foxy- I thought you looked pretty
#26 Old 12-19-2004, 03:30 PM

We live in a society that has little problem with kids watching cartoon characters getting blown up, fist fights between grown men, car chases, etc., yet has a seizure if our precious babies glimpse a woman's nipple on TV. I would agree that sexuality, to a degree unmatched by any other subject (even politics and religion), is appreciated with so much irrationality (esp. here in the USA) that one really can't make it make sense. There are no rules.

The Rev
#27 Old 12-19-2004, 03:55 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rev View Post

We live in a society that has little problem with kids watching cartoon characters getting blown up, fist fights between grown men, car chases, etc., yet has a seizure if our precious babies glimpse a woman's nipple on TV.

That's so true. I don't get it.
#28 Old 12-19-2004, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rev View Post

We live in a society that has little problem with kids watching cartoon characters getting blown up, fist fights between grown men, car chases, etc., yet has a seizure if our precious babies glimpse a woman's nipple on TV. I would agree that sexuality, to a degree unmatched by any other subject (even politics and religion), is appreciated with so much irrationality (esp. here in the USA) that one really can't make it make sense. There are no rules.

The Rev

I guess that's why CBC isn't in the US; I've seen male full frontal during "prime time".
#29 Old 12-19-2004, 04:22 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxy View Post

I am starting this thread to discuss issues surrounding censorship/judgement as it relates to the human form and it's (apparently controversial) place in our community or society in general.

Neither my pics or the afore-mentioned similarly-clad or exposed pics are even close to being as "extreme" as what anyone could see on regular television on any given afternoon or evening r ven at a county faire or beach.

I personally believe some of the other pics (like the underage girls who post many pics of themselves in dress-up or looking forlornly off into the great beyond or the heroin-chic type pics) have the propensity to be controversial/disturbing or fodder for an inappropriate thought than a pic of me, (taken by someone else) a consenting adult in hot pants and heels...

There are pics of girls kissing girls, men and women embracing (things obviously of a sexual nature) yet a simple stretch of flesh (less than you'd see at the beach) is a problem for some...why is this?

For the record, I personally am okay with *all* of the pics I have seen in the gallery...except for those non-vegan ones I just saw...just kidding

For a second there I thought you were talking about the picture of me in a jacket and a tie.

Jeffer
#30 Old 12-19-2004, 04:23 PM
Veggie Regular

Usually the violence symbolizes good and evil. Most of the time good vs evil.

Depictions of sex and nudity a majority of the time do not promote love, honor and/or happiness. What they do promote is selfishness, deceit and arrogance, just to name a few.

That is why one is widely accepted and the other is not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurmudgeon View Post

That's so true. I don't get it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page