Do you use a dishwasher or wash the dishes by hand? - VeggieBoards
View Poll Results: Getting the Dishes Clean
I use a dishwasher to get my dishes clean. 1 100.00%
I don't use a dishwasher to get my dishes clean. 0 0%
I don't own a dishwasher but I would give my right leg to have one. 0 0%
Voters: 1. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 12-06-2004, 11:37 AM

My mother law has a dishwasher. I remember not being too fond of it either. We rinsed the plates and handwashed the pans prior to loading. To me it seemed like just about the same amount of work. Plus, there's that dishwasher smell on the glasses. It reminded me of some kind of rubbery smell.

The only upside I see to a dishwasher it that the water used is much more hot than what I can use by handwashing.

I found this article that basically reinforces what I've thought for years. That hand washing uses less water, as long as you don't let the water continuously run. And obviously, you have less energy usage. To me it seems like the more eco-friendly choice would be to not use a dishwasher.

I'm just curious on what others think. Because I was reading another thread where folks are discussing eco-friendly dishwasher detergents. And, I'm not knocking dishwasher owners/users or anything, but I thought it a little odd. It's great that you're concerned with the soap, but aren't you also concerned about the water and energy consumption?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 12-06-2004, 11:42 AM
Banned

I have a dishwasher but don't use it. I hand-wash all of my dishes.
#3 Old 12-06-2004, 11:43 AM
Baby Love

I have a dishwasher, but have to pre-wash everything because the dw is crap. For me its basically a means of heating up the dishes enough to sanitize them. Now new dishwashers are another story. Those things suck the food right off
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 12-06-2004, 11:45 AM
Veggie Regular

I have a dishwasher, but I don't use it very often, I just don't make a lot of dirty dishes because I tend to eat out or I make a sandwich.

However, when I do use it, I just put everything in totally dirty and they come out clean, so it must be a good one.
#5 Old 12-06-2004, 11:48 AM
Veggie Regular

Being a college student with 3 other male roommates we use our dishwasher. Of course we let our dishes sit in our rooms for like a day or 2 they are always rather crusty. The dishwasher works great and we pack that thing full! It uses about the same if not less water then what would be used if we washed all those dishes, pots, and pans by hand.
#6 Old 12-06-2004, 11:49 AM
Veggie Regular

I have a dishwasher and must say, I use it most every day. I grew up too poor to have one and my mom would always joke that she had two dishwashers - me and my sister. Damn, I hated that joke. I used to con my sister into washing mine all the time (she was younger). Now she lives in a house without one and happily washes them by hand. Me, I can't stand it.
#7 Old 12-06-2004, 11:55 AM
Veggie Regular

Don't have a DW. Refused a free one once!
#8 Old 12-06-2004, 11:57 AM
Veggie Regular

I'm the dishwasher in these parts.

It takes me no time, just clear out of my way. The way I figure it, if you have to rinse off the dishes before hand you might as well wash them too. Throw on a good CD and let the water fly! Very therapeutic! Ha!

But then again I guess we are living in the stone ages compared to most. No video games, one TV, 3 1/2 channels, no cable or satelite hook up. The only thing we have that is modern is this computer I guess. We even had a rotary dial phone with a party line up until we moved farms five years ago.

No answering machine. Ah it's great! My kids still know how to play!

Jeffer
#9 Old 12-06-2004, 12:10 PM

Just what exactly is this whole "washing dishes" concept all about? You mean the clean ones just don't find their way into the cupboard on their own?
#10 Old 12-06-2004, 12:14 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bankruptor View Post

Just what exactly is this whole "washing dishes" concept all about? You mean the clean ones just don't find their way into the cupboard on their own?

My husband thinks that too.
#11 Old 12-06-2004, 12:18 PM
Veggie Regular

I use my dishwasher, but it feels like a luxery, not something I'll have forever and always; I feel bad about the wasted water/energy (I often have to re-run a load because it left detergent residue on the dishes).

I don't know... I hate hate hate the thought of always washing dishes by hand, but I'll admit it's not that bad once you get started, especially if you have someone to help you, and soaking your hands in hot water is by far the best way to warm up on a cold winter's night.
#12 Old 12-06-2004, 12:19 PM
Veggie Regular

This house is the first place I've lived in with a dishwasher and I love it now. I hated eating dinner and standing over the sink for 1/2 and hour scrubbing stuff I also like that when there's company over, or we're having a party, I'm not stuck in the kitchen for most of the night. I use to think I would never use a dishwasher, but I've grown to appreciate it's convieniece.
#13 Old 12-06-2004, 12:22 PM
Veggie Regular

My husband washes dishes, but clothes and linen... they just get magically done by the house-fairy.
#14 Old 12-06-2004, 12:26 PM
Veggie Regular

if i did not have mine i think i would die. i only run full loads and i run it 3x in every 24 hr period. if i had to do all that by hand---ooooohhhhh my my!!!!!!!!!!!!
#15 Old 12-06-2004, 12:27 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by spud View Post

My husband washes dishes, but clothes and linen... they just get magically done by the house-fairy.

Give me your husbands phone number and I'll give him a call. Doesn't he realize that the secret to great married sex is clean laundry?? Have it folded and put away and the ground shakes!

Jeffer
#16 Old 12-06-2004, 12:30 PM
Veggie Regular

This is getting so non PC! My husband vaccuums because I tell him he's so good at it and I like the sight of his rippling muscles.
#17 Old 12-06-2004, 12:34 PM
cyk
Veggie Regular

I also thought I would never use a dishwasher. I didn't grow up using one, and never thought to use one... until... recently, I saw my moms husband use the one at the house... And it just clicked. How convient a dishwashing machine is!! Its amazing. I use it a lot now.
#18 Old 12-06-2004, 12:38 PM
Veggie Regular

My household uses a dishwasher, but I personally wash all of my dishes by hand for energy/water saving reasons.

ETA: If you plan on washing dishes by hand, but you have a dishwasher and usually crave into using it - it helps a lot if you wash all dishes immediately after using them. Who wants to sit and clean an entire sink of dishes? For example, if I'm baking, I clean the mixing bowl and spatula while whatever-it-is is in the oven, and when it comes out of the oven, and goes into a plastic container, then I clean the baking sheet. It's best to stay on top of it, before it becomes a problem.
#19 Old 12-06-2004, 12:39 PM
Veggie Regular

I hand-wash pots and pans, and put everything else in the dishwasher.
#20 Old 12-06-2004, 12:40 PM

I wash by hand.
#21 Old 12-06-2004, 12:47 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikie View Post

My household uses a dishwasher, but I personally wash all of my dishes by hand for energy/water saving reasons.

ETA: If you plan on washing dishes by hand, but you have a dishwasher and usually crave into using it - it helps a lot if you wash all dishes immediately after using them. Who wants to sit and clean an entire sink of dishes? For example, if I'm baking, I clean the mixing bowl and spatula while whatever-it-is is in the oven, and when it comes out of the oven, and goes into a plastic container, then I clean the baking sheet. It's best to stay on top of it, before it becomes a problem.

i wash all pans like that, but for the rest--it does not go so smoothly when kids are there!!
#22 Old 12-06-2004, 12:55 PM

We have a dishwasher - my aunt.
#23 Old 12-06-2004, 12:55 PM
Veggie Regular

"Do you use a dishwaser or wash the dishes by hand?"

No, I don't.
#24 Old 12-06-2004, 12:59 PM
Banned

I use a dishwasher for everything except pots and pans...and I love it!
#25 Old 12-06-2004, 01:01 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by spud View Post

I want a husband like that. I will do ANY chore, but I hate washing dishes. I must have a phobia about it. I'd rather throw away a dirty plate than wash it. I guess that's why I own nothing but paper plates, plastic cups and throw-away utensils. Unfortunately I can't buy disposable pots and pans, so those are my nightmare, and I have a sink full of dirty pots and pans at the moment.

I don't know that I'd give my right leg for a dishwasher, but I sure wish I had one. I think I'd be more inclinded to wash dishes if I didn't have to wash them myself.
#26 Old 12-06-2004, 01:01 PM
Veggie Regular

I use the dishwasher and wash dishes by hand. I cook a lot, so there are a lot of dirty dishes.

I use the dishwasher for plates, glasses and flatware but pans and mixing bowls are hand-washed. I have some vintage and hand-made stuff that does not go in the dishwasher and anybody who puts one of my knives in there is in Big Trouble .

Sunny
#27 Old 12-06-2004, 01:01 PM
Banned

Lots of appliances truly are labor-saving devices, but a dishwasher, like an electric can-opener, is not one of them.

Most of the work of "washing" dishes consists of removing them from the table, scraping excess food off, and then putting them in the cupboard after they are washed.

The extra steps are "washing." With a dishwasher, assuming you don't need to pre-wash, this consists of putting them into the dishwasher, putting soap and anti-spot chemical into the dishwasher, and pressing the button.

Without a dishwasher, the extra steps are putting the dishes in the sink. Plugging the sink drain, running the water, adding the dishwashing detergent, and gently wiping each soaked dish with a dish-cloth, then rinsing off each dish. It isn't that much extra work. Most of the cleaning work is done by simply soaking the dishes in a sinkful of detergent-water. Once you soak for 1/2 hour, it is very easy to wipe off any food. The only real added step is wiping, rinsing, and putting each dish in the air drying rack. You just hold each dish under running water for a few moments, turning it in differnt directions to make sure the water runs over all sides -- before putting the dish in the air drying rack. This hardly takes any longer than the other 2 steps -- moving from table to sink or dishwasher, moving from dryer rack or dishwasher to cupboard.
#28 Old 12-06-2004, 01:06 PM
Veggie Regular

I believe I read about the cost of using a dishwasher in one of the Tightwad Gazettes. Her conclusion (if I remember correctly) was the cost if you already own the dishwasher and don't run it until it is full, was the same as hand washing. I will have to look up her math formula again when I get home.

By the way, I have a dishwasher and after I have worked a ten hour day, it is very nice to have.
#29 Old 12-06-2004, 01:11 PM
Veggie Regular

Both............
#30 Old 12-06-2004, 01:14 PM

yeahhh... i don't know about my *leg* but it would be nice, we cook a lot *and* we're in college so finding time to do the dishes ((or uhm, cleaning in general, haha)) is a hassle. not that there's any room in our tiny apartment kitchen for one, but ya know... maybe it would double as a nice living room end table??

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page