I use a dishwasher to get my dishes clean. 1 100.00%
I don't use a dishwasher to get my dishes clean. 0 0%
I don't own a dishwasher but I would give my right leg to have one. 0 0%
Voters: 1. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#91 Old 06-16-2007, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karenlovessnow View Post

OMG, I want one!!! I thought maybe you were in another country or something, but I'm not that far from you....I must be living under a rock because I've never seen anyone with a foot pedal sink!!!!

hah well I've always seen them in hospitals, but I've never actually seen one in anyone's home either. : )
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#92 Old 06-16-2007, 08:53 AM
Veggie Regular

I grew up washing dishes by hand. There wasn't any water in the kitchen so we washed dishes in the bathtub. Now I live in a house with three roommates and a dishwasher. I like washing dishes by hand if it's only my dishes that I'm washing. I usually only have a few at a time. The problem is that the dishrags and sponges I buy tend to disappear or are used for other purposes such as cleaning the counter. I saw one houseguest use a sink sponge for wiping off the stove and then he put it back in the sink. Eww.... I don't know why that bothers me so much. When I'm feeling generous and I don't mind cleaning up after my roommates, I use the dishwasher.
#93 Old 06-16-2007, 05:02 PM
Bof
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JarBax View Post

I may well be one of 'those' people who believe that a less than sterile environment is actually a good thing.

There was a study, comparing the health of European and American kids, some time after WW2 and the European kids were found to be healthier than the American, possibly because they had built up more immunity as a result of their privation, whilst the American kids were cosseted in sterile comfort.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#94 Old 06-18-2007, 05:24 AM
Vegan Police Officer

I have always heard that using a dishwasher is more ecological than washing dishes by hand.

I always use a dishwasher, also for all my pots and pans, unless they really need a hard scrub.
#95 Old 06-18-2007, 05:34 AM
Veggie Regular

we only have a little dishwasher so most of our pans don't fit in.

We mostly wash plates, cutlery, etc, in the dishwasher, and pans by hand.
#96 Old 06-18-2007, 09:19 AM
Veggie Regular

I just let my dogs lick the dishes clean, then put them back in the cupboard. It's the most ecologically sound method of cleaning dishes that I've found.

Anyone want to come to my house for lunch?
#97 Old 06-18-2007, 12:44 PM
Veggie Regular

For years I lived alone and didn't have a dishwasher. Things piled up more as after working in a bakery all day the last thing I wanted to do was wash dishes! I also hated not having a dishwasher because even with pipe cleaners and extra time and effort, I still couldn't get all the parts in my Cuisinart completely clean. Once we moved to an apartment that was a little more modern (built in the 1950s instead of the 1920s) we got that dishwasher and I was happy again

Still, it's not the best (or even the best medium-quality) since the landlord isn't going to fork over for a decent quality dishwasher, so I do have to pre-wash some items or put the ones that don't need as much spray to hit them in the corners of the rack. Otherwise, they won't get clean. You get what you pay for, but if I had been able to pay for it, I certainly would have gone for a much better quality one. Oil well, I won't be living there forever

Look at this kind of dishwasher, though: CO2 Dishwasher
#98 Old 06-18-2007, 12:50 PM
Veggie Regular

Wait a tic... you're supposed to get dishes clean after you use them?

rut-roh...
#99 Old 06-18-2007, 04:16 PM

Dishwasher.
#100 Old 06-18-2007, 06:16 PM
Veggie Regular

I would give my left arm for a dishwasher, but not my right leg, so there was no option for me in the poll.

I usually don't wash the dishes at all. I just clean them with cold or hot water after using them.

"and I stand

upon a mountain

made of weak and useless men"

#101 Old 06-19-2007, 07:55 AM
Veggie Regular

Does it matter then if you ate a hot meal or a cold meal as to what temperature of water you use, Sevenseas?
#102 Old 06-19-2007, 08:14 AM
Veggie Regular

No, what matters is the amount of time the dish has been unclean. If it has been a long time -> hot water. If I clean it immediately after use -> cold water.

"and I stand

upon a mountain

made of weak and useless men"

#103 Old 06-19-2007, 08:24 AM
Veggie Regular

Makes sense. Let them air-dry then and don't take a towel to them or you're just recontaminating them all over again. Or stick them in a hot oven
#104 Old 06-19-2007, 08:50 AM
Veggie Regular

i use both, actually.

if i only have a few dishes, i put a bit of soap and water on a sponge, and i put about 1-2 gallons of water (clean) in the sink. i wash the dish, put it in the sink to rinse, and then air dry.

sometimes, i end up with a lot of dishes, or my husband puts his dishes in the dishwasher. we run the dishwasher probably once a week or so. i find it easier to wash by hand overall--but when i cook a large meal, or we have guests over for lunch or dinner, then i use the dishwasher.
#105 Old 06-19-2007, 09:53 AM
Super Moderator

When I move out, I must have a dishwasher. Even if I was living alone, I'd need it because I cook a lot. Cooking = lots of dishes.
#106 Old 06-19-2007, 10:27 AM
Veggie Regular

i cook a lot, but it doesn't usually require a lot of dishes and i tend to clean those dishes as i go along.
#107 Old 06-19-2007, 01:02 PM
Veggie Regular

My apartment doesn't have a dishwasher. I used to have one in my house. Rarely do I miss it, actually.
#108 Old 06-20-2007, 12:04 AM
Super Moderator

I guess it just depends on what I cook. Sometimes my bf and I cook gourmet meals that require you to do 100 things at once... that uses a lot of pots, pants, and other dishes. I think if the dishwasher broke down, I'd survive though

Tonight I went on a CRAZY cleaning spree and spent 3 hours in the kitchen. I organized the plastic containers (there were billions overflowing out of the cupboard!), organized the chemicals under the sink, cleaned the microwave, cleaned out the fridge, bleached the hand towels, took out the trash... I went crazy! Now if I had to do that on top of handwashing dishes, I think I'd go mad! *hehe*
#109 Old 06-20-2007, 10:20 AM
Veggie Regular

I think whether you use more water hand-washing or with a dishwasher depends on your hand-washing method. I don't have a dishwasher, but my method for washing dishes is to briefly run some water over them, turn off water, soap everything up, then rinse. I find it hard to believe that I'm using more water than a dishwasher would.
#110 Old 06-20-2007, 11:21 AM
Veggie Regular

I don't see the point in owning one, they really smell and you have to mostly wash stuff before putting it into the dishwasher. They can't was some things and some pans or containers you can't fit in anywhere and so hae to wash them by hand. It seems more of an inconvenience.
#111 Old 06-20-2007, 12:03 PM
American Made, Rebel Born

i have a dishwasher just collectin dust.

cry havoc! and let slip the dogs of war.
#112 Old 06-21-2007, 11:49 AM
Super Moderator

I've never had a dishwasher that smelled... that's just odd. Of course you should rinse a dish before you put it in. I can load up an entire dishwasher full in under a minute. The time it takes to wash it by hand varies between 5-10 minutes. What's great, I can post this message while my dishes are being washed and sanitized If your dishwasher smelled, then maybe it was time you got a new one, that is not normal.
#113 Old 06-21-2007, 11:57 AM
Veggie Regular

I've had several dishwashers in my lifetime (moved a lot ) and none of them have smelled either.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page