technology - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 01-07-2003, 12:45 PM
Veggie Regular

Do you think technology advancing is good or bad? I think it is more bad because people are getting lazier. Sooner or later all you will have to do is push a button and everything is done for you!! Also because of pollution and everything and the invention of the nucleur bomb certaily wasnt a good thing. But without everything I have like my computer and playstation I wouldnt be able to LIVE!! lol !

Well what are your thoughts do you think its good or bad?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-07-2003, 04:13 PM

The technological advancement has the potential to be good and/or bad. It is up to us as a society to use it in a responsible manner and not for an irresponsible one.

I don't think someone can reasonably consider all technology good or bad.
#3 Old 01-08-2003, 01:33 AM
Veggie Regular

i kinda agree there. in one sense, i think technology is great and some of the things people have done with it are just amazing. but then a lot of people use it for things that can only hurt us. plus a lot of it contributes to pollution and waste and harming the environment.

lots of things help make life easier, but i don't think life is really meant to be easy in the first place. sometimes i wish we could revert society back to when we were self-sufficient, living off the land, without electricity and cars and luxuries. but it wouldn't really be possible, once you get used to living a certain way it's hard to go back

I'm singin' here to get rid of fear
Hope it disappears right here with the rain
But I know life is pain, not like a fairytale
Meaningless to pray, so just goin' on my way
~Miyavi "Torture"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 01-08-2003, 10:28 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by luckiecharms

Do you think technology advancing is good or bad? I think it is more bad because people are getting lazier. Sooner or later all you will have to do is push a button and everything is done for you!! Also because of pollution and everything and the invention of the nucleur bomb certaily wasnt a good thing. But without everything I have like my computer and playstation I wouldnt be able to LIVE!! lol !

Well what are your thoughts do you think its good or bad?

I think that it is rather like the sun rising in the day and setting at night. Technology is a central part of culture. Your frying pan is a technology. Food is a technology. Clothing is a technology. Of course the technology is going to change over time, whit is important is who controlls how it changes.
#5 Old 02-03-2004, 08:07 PM
Veggie Regular

I love new technology. It's amazing to me that when I was a kid we were playing pong and now kids have such realistic games.

It's not just the games either.. My mom used to have an old fashioned adding machine in the basement. It was huge. Now people can use tiny solar powered calculators.

TVs are better.. cars have neater gadgets.. it wasn't that long ago that you were stuck seeing whichever movie was playing in the theater. You couldn't kick back at home and watch Swedish movies from the early 1900s.
#6 Old 02-03-2004, 08:25 PM

Technology saves lives.
#7 Old 02-03-2004, 08:35 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm in agreement with those who have said that technology has both good and bad applications. I think a lot of the technological advancements in medicine, transportation, communication, etc. are simply astounding and have increased our quality of life immensely. However, weapons technology scares the bejeezus out of me. Technological "advancements" in factory farming have lead to increased suffering for billions of animals. Technology can be used to oppress or destroy people, animals and the environment. Not to mention that I hate the fact that so many people nowadays seem to have a cell phones glued to their heads. Technology can improve our lives so much when approached ethically and thoughtfully. Unfortunately, not everyone is ethical or thoughtful...
#8 Old 02-04-2004, 12:34 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsRuthieB View Post

Technology saves lives.

and takes them away too.
#9 Old 02-04-2004, 12:37 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsRuthieB View Post

Technology saves lives.

My thoughts exactly, without technology, we would still be dying from illnesses our ancestors did, like whooping cough, and fevers.

You take the good with the bad....
#10 Old 02-04-2004, 02:11 AM
Veggie Regular

I took a class called 'Social Issues in Technology', so I can tell you that it's both, but mostly good. Like any tool, it depends on what you use it for, so taken as a whole it's morally neutral.
#11 Old 02-04-2004, 02:18 AM
Veggie Regular

per the usual, kirkjobsluder has it right.

to extend his point, the gatherer-hunter using a basket to carry berries is an example of technology in use.

ebola
#12 Old 02-04-2004, 06:02 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muzicfan View Post

My thoughts exactly, without technology, we would still be dying from illnesses our ancestors did, like whooping cough, and fevers.

You take the good with the bad....

That's too much generalization for me.

Technology also causes diseases.

I think you have to separate techonolgy into categories which should be individualy looked at.
#13 Old 02-04-2004, 07:50 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1vegan View Post

and takes them away too.

It saves more lives. So many people used to die before they reached adulthood.
#14 Old 02-04-2004, 08:13 AM
Veggie Regular

you've got a good point there, but I was thinking death by cars....fastfood....the sitting in front of the tv........

I don't know if I would call hygene technology.

hm....a sewer is technology all right.

Technology should be very carefully used. Once it's released there's no way back.

(I'm not talking about the very basic technology)

iirc einstein regreted making the atom bomb.
#15 Old 02-04-2004, 01:26 PM
Veggie Regular

We all like to take advantage of it, although sometmes my favourite moments are up at the cabin with no electricity, phones, contact with the outside world, wood stoves and camp fires to cook on and keep warm by, oil lanterns and candles to see, fresh well water to drink from, and nothing or no one around you for miles.

Jeffer
#16 Old 02-04-2004, 01:57 PM
Veggie Regular

That's all fine and dandy till you fall and break your leg.
#17 Old 02-04-2004, 03:43 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie View Post

That's all fine and dandy till you fall and break your leg.

My wife keeps wanting me to bring her cell phone with me, especially if I go alone. I brought it with me once (there is a faint signal if you turn your head the right way) and hated it. I felt like I had to "check in" all the time and it's just not the same anymore. I leave it in the truck across the lake now.

Jeffer
#18 Old 02-04-2004, 10:44 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckiecharms View Post

Do you think technology advancing is good or bad?

No.

Quote:
I think it is more bad ...

Flippent, sacrastic anwear: So, when do you plan to join the Amish?

Actual answer: Technology is just a facilitator - is allows us to do more than we could without it. Moreover, it's a continious spread - it is not possible to define any specific points within 'technology' in anything other than an arbitary manner. This has profound implications, namely that is impossible to stop further development.

So, independant of the philosophical opinions, the practical sites basically amounts to ever increasing.

On that philosophical point, as technology advances, I'm able to achieve more in the same time. How can that be a bad thing? The only way that can be bad is if the actions I take are 'bad' actions, which up to now have been tolerated because of low effect. Well, that's a poor solution in any case, and I think that the correct solution there is obvious - to deal with 'bad' actions, rather than the tools that one uses.

The only real problem with increasing technology is that of a "Knowledge Crash" - when some of the basic facts and principles (e.g. where to find metal ores, and how to smelt them) get forgotten, and this leads to an inevitable decay in the knowledge base over time. This is, however, only predicted when the knowledge storage capacity is restricted - which it is effetivly not today. Or, technology has solved the only problem with technology
#19 Old 02-04-2004, 10:56 PM
Veggie Regular

I sometimes wonder if radically increased lifespans and radically reduced infant mortality will be the death of us all, though. Doesn't anyone wonder what we're going to do when we overpopulate the planet?

I guess we're all counting on technology to save the day.

Man, that was depressing.
#20 Old 02-04-2004, 11:08 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by epski View Post

I sometimes wonder if radically increased lifespans and radically reduced infant mortality will be the death of us all, though. Doesn't anyone wonder what we're going to do when we overpopulate the planet?

Yes, it was much less depressing for people to die young, but only after watching their infant children die before them.
#21 Old 02-04-2004, 11:10 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Don't worry, epski. We have Dumb politicians to make sure that doesn't happen. They can, by way of corporate shenanigans, withold vital life-saving medicinals to 3rd world nations with undeserving citizens, dying by the millions of AIDS. So, see? All hope is not lost!
#22 Old 02-05-2004, 12:29 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tame View Post

Yes, it was much less depressing for people to die young, but only after watching their infant children die before them.

Jeffer
#23 Old 02-05-2004, 12:34 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syntax View Post

On that philosophical point, as technology advances, I'm able to achieve more in the same time. How can that be a bad thing?

That's the common belief that I question.

Sure, my car gets me faster were I want to go, but how many hours do I have to work to pay the car? Am I really faster ?

I read that the effective speed of a car is near 10 miles an hour......my bicycle goes faster than that.
#24 Old 02-05-2004, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Sure, my car gets me faster were I want to go, but how many hours do I have to work to pay the car? Am I really faster ?

And how much pollution is created by that car? And the manifaction of it? And how many more people die of car crashes/being hit by a car?
#25 Old 02-05-2004, 12:42 AM

Oh I forgot to mention. As a whole I like technology. Like everything it has it's pro's and con's. But you have to take the bad with the good.
#26 Old 02-05-2004, 01:17 AM
Veggie Regular

After the Industrial Revolution, technology stopped being a convenience and started to be a necessity. Once the world's appetite for better technology was whetted, it could not be reversed, and since most of the technology did more bad than good (unbelieveable pollution, etc.), more technology had to be developed to counteract the bad that the original technology had created, and so on and so forth until present day. Because I do not think that technology is optional in today's society, I trust that technological advancement will be geared toward improvements such as clean energy rather than wasted on more menial things.
#27 Old 02-05-2004, 01:40 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tame View Post

I'm sure. And it still happens around the world. The optimist in me says it's great that we've "beaten" nature and prolonged our lives. The pessimist wonders about the consequences.
#28 Old 02-06-2004, 11:00 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1vegan View Post

That's the common belief that I question.

I read that the effective speed of a car is near 10 miles an hour......my bicycle goes faster than that.

Two points here, and they are quite seperate.

Your argument on the first is flawed. The car gets faster - therefore you should only examine the increase is cost of the car - not the total cost. Additionally, an improvementin the car need not be an improvement in speed. Acceleration is an obvious one, as is fuel efficency (more efficent == less cost for same result) If you want to question whether the car is benefical or not, that aught to be done seperate of the incremental advance of technology.

And, on that point, if you look at it objectivly, you'll find that some people / occupations will gain net benefit from the car, and some wont. If it doesn't benefit you, then don't have one - that's pretty simple.

As to the average speed of a car, 10 mph is far too low. The average speed of traffic in inner london is 23 mph (or, it was before the congestion charge, might have changed now). If you ment effective in any other manner than 'average', then your going to have to define that. Do note that these averages are arithmetic means, and as such a vehicle with a maximum speed of 23 mph with average less than that. I think that to attain the average of 23 mph that would involve a maximum of about 40 mph. Which is slightly tangential, but I'm not sure precisely what your second point was, so hopefully it's not too far off.
#29 Old 02-06-2004, 11:33 PM
Veggie Regular

I'd say the benefit of cars vs. bicycles really depends on the infrastructure of your environment. Living in Amsterdam, biking was wonderful and I never missed having an automobile. Here in the USA, biking would (sadly) take a lot of time as well as being fairly dangerous. (No separate lanes, and the drivers are not accustomed to bicyclists.)
#30 Old 02-07-2004, 12:33 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

We can always count on the meat/dairy/egg industries to come up with new and exciting diseases.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page