Insurgents in Iraq. - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 11-24-2004, 06:29 AM
Veggie Regular

Personal beliefs on the war aside, I have to wonder at the methods of the insurgents in Iraq.

I was listening to NPR this morning on my way to work, and there was a report regarding the resistance and the difficulties they are creating for the reconstruction effort. New schools and hospitals and water treatment plants routinely face the threat of attack and destruction by the insurgents.

While I understand that the insurgents hate Americans and their presence in Iraq, why are they targeting public services that are meant to benefit the Iraqi people themselves?

I do not advocate their actions, but it would seem that if they wanted to target Americans, they would choose military targets that would affect Americans directly, rather than hospitals and schools.

(Again, I do not advocate violence and I do not want to see anyone being attacked, regardless of nationality.)

I don't agree with our presence in Iraq, but I do feel that now that we're there, we have to stabilize things before we withdraw, and that includes improving the quality of life for the Iraqi people by rebuilding as much as is reasonably possible.

We see the world as "we" are, not as "it" is; because it is the "I" behind the "eye" that does the seeing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 11-24-2004, 06:52 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceryna View Post

I do not advocate their actions, but it would seem that if they wanted to target Americans, they would choose military targets that would affect Americans directly, rather than hospitals and schools.

I don't agree with our presence in Iraq, but I do feel that now that we're there, we have to stabilize things before we withdraw, and that includes improving the quality of life for the Iraqi people by rebuilding as much as is reasonably possible.

I think you explained it yourself right there. They use those tactics because it does, in a way, effect Americans directly. It stalls the rebuilding process, therefore taking even longer to stabilize Iraq and eventually withdraw our troops. The longer this war continues, the more unpopular it will become with the American people.
#3 Old 11-24-2004, 07:01 AM
Veggie Regular

Building on what Samsara said, it makes America look worse...the longer we have to stay there, the more fighting we have to do to keep the insurgents down, the more innocent people will be killed, the more insurgents will be recruited. They may be trying to precipitate a large-scale revolt against all American presence in the Middle East, and feel that the end justifies the means.

The answer? I don't know. We've dug ourselves in pretty deep.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 11-24-2004, 07:10 AM
Veggie Regular

I am going to dissent, and say that Americans aren't the main target anymore in cases like these.

Iraq is trying to set up a secular government, with significant Kurdish independence, and the new democracy would give the shiite majority power that they didn't have under Saddam.

Some people are going to lose out, and are trying to destabilize the current government before it can gain a solid foothold. Hindering the repair and replacement of infrastruction is one of the ways they are accomplishing that.

[ Of course, there are still more than a few terrorist groups that just want to kill Americans and other allies. But they seem to be the minority now. ]

Just my $.02, I haven't been to Iraq, I just try to keep inform and make my own opinions.

To be fair, from what I hear from those who have been over there, most of Iraq is doing pretty well, relatively speaking. The country appears to be better off then where it was at two years ago, and the people are enjoying more safety and more freedom.
#5 Old 11-24-2004, 02:23 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceryna View Post

Personal beliefs on the war aside, I have to wonder at the methods of the insurgents in Iraq.

I was listening to NPR this morning on my way to work, and there was a report regarding the resistance and the difficulties they are creating for the reconstruction effort. New schools and hospitals and water treatment plants routinely face the threat of attack and destruction by the insurgents.

While I understand that the insurgents hate Americans and their presence in Iraq, why are they targeting public services that are meant to benefit the Iraqi people themselves?

(Again, I do not advocate violence and I do not want to see anyone being attacked, regardless of nationality.)

do you honestly believe that we can stabilize the country? i dont

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page