Oh, great. Another superpower! K-Mart buys Sears. - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 11-18-2004, 12:33 AM
Veggie Regular

Will Kmart walk away a winner with Sears deal?

By Bruce Horovitz, USA TODAY

Kmart (KMRT) has just pulled the rough equivalent of a refrigerator out of its hat.

Make that a Kenmore brand refrigerator from Sears (S). And maybe some Craftsman tools. And some DieHard batteries, too.

All this came to be when Kmart yes, the same Kmart that almost went belly up less than two years ago announced plans Wednesday to purchase Sears Roebuck for $11 billion.

No. 3 U.S. retailer, after Wal-Mart and Home Depot

Expected annual revenue: $55 billion

Approximate number of retail stores: 3,500

Headquarters: Hoffman Estates, Ill.

Operations: Both Sears and Kmart businesses will operate under their current brand names

Sources: Reuters, Associated Press

The deal would create the nation's No. 3 retailer, behind No. 1 Wal-Mart and No. 2 Home Depot.

While it's yet to be decided which Sears and Kmart brands will be sold where, there's plenty of speculation that most of the two retailers' major exclusive lines eventually will be sold at all locations of both chains.

Welcome to 21st century retailing at its most cutthroat. The combined chains will now try to squeeze better prices out of suppliers. They'll whittle distribution costs. They'll shutter poor-performing stores. They'll lay off workers whose duties become redundant. And they'll be able to convert poorly performing Kmarts into Sears' newly created, off-mall Sears Grand stores, which have shown promising results.

But can Kmart and Sears together work enough magic to pull in new customers? And can they together establish two viable store brands that stand for something distinctive in consumers' minds?

http://www.usatoday.com/money/indust...rs-cover_x.htm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 11-18-2004, 01:02 AM
Veggie Regular

Ah well. I see Martha is hard at work behind the scenes there in the pokey.

I wish them luck. Doing battle with Walmart. Good luck, suckas! Better find yourselves a cut-rate China and get busy.

I actually kind of dig Sears. I have fond memories of the Toy Bible catalog that came every year and hell, I got all the Martha Stewart paint for my house there. It's homey. You can buy a tractor or a tent. It's Sears!

Hated Kmart though, They were strictly Amateur Hour. No wonder. Target is it for me.

d
#3 Old 11-18-2004, 01:28 AM
Banned

Is the K-Mart in Australia part of the US K-Mart? They seem to be more associated with Coles-Myer.

We also have Target, but they don't seem to be as big and attrocious as the US Target.

But hell, who knows who is in bed with each other.

We also have a Wal-Mart (possibly ex) big cheese who comes Down under and consults with Woolworths (it seems they could possibly be the Aussie Wal-Mart; they certainly have exhibited the possibility of being so).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 11-18-2004, 01:50 AM

When Kmart had some financial problems they closed every single store here. I think there's three Sears here, but we only shop there for appliances. I never liked Kmart when it was here. Seemed like a big waste of space to me. Give me a super target, a couple hundred bucks and people to carry the crap to the car for me, and you've got a happy person.
#5 Old 11-18-2004, 02:19 AM
Veggie Regular

Kurm, AU Target and US Target are not the same. Target in AU is managed & branded under Coles-Myer whereas in the US it's an independent company. Same branding, same style store, different organizational & ownership structure. As for K-Mart, I'm not sure.

I think it's rather stupid for k-mart to buy sears then *retain the branding* for each of them. Um, ok, neither is very successful in building a brand. Why buy yet another mediocre company unless you're going to do something with it to make it better and more attractive to shoppers???

#6 Old 11-18-2004, 03:17 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by OregonAmy View Post

Kurm, AU Target and US Target are not the same. Target in AU is managed & branded under Coles-Myer whereas in the US it's an independent company. Same branding, same style store, different organizational & ownership structure. As for K-Mart, I'm not sure.

Ahhh. Coles-Myer seem to be pretty big.

Looking at the Kmart web site just now, they appear to be owned by Coles-Myer as well.
#7 Old 11-18-2004, 04:50 AM
Banned

I love the Sears Kenmore brand.

The K-Marts in my area have always been dumps, just like Wal-Mart.
#8 Old 11-18-2004, 05:03 AM

Two words. Craftsmen Tools.
#9 Old 11-18-2004, 05:30 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by OregonAmy View Post

Um, ok, neither is very successful in building a brand. Why buy yet another mediocre company unless you're going to do something with it to make it better and more attractive to shoppers???

I agree. They would be better off making Sears solely a hardware store. K-Mart I don't see hope for.
#10 Old 11-18-2004, 05:49 AM

I like the idea actually. There's a KMart around the corner from me that's been dieing a slow death for a few years now. We don't need anymore empty/abandoned buildings in the city at this point. Maybe this will breathe life into it?
#11 Old 11-18-2004, 05:57 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by shagginabit View Post

When Kmart had some financial problems they closed every single store here. I think there's three Sears here, but we only shop there for appliances. I never liked Kmart when it was here. Seemed like a big waste of space to me. Give me a super target, a couple hundred bucks and people to carry the crap to the car for me, and you've got a happy person.

#12 Old 11-18-2004, 06:00 AM
Banned

Quote:

people to carry the crap to the car for me, and you've got a happy person.

You always so lazy? I'm sure they've got better things to do.
#13 Old 11-18-2004, 07:36 AM
Administrator

I don't know much about it but I'd say it's a good thing. Right now I think anything that can compete with Wal Mart is a good thing. K-Mart was slowly going under (and I can't imagine Sears was doing that well either). If they had gone out then Wal Mart would be even bigger than they are now.

Follow me on Twitter - @_jorts
#14 Old 11-18-2004, 08:38 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Will you soon graduate from the boards to Letterman? I'll be watching.
#15 Old 11-18-2004, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurmudgeon View Post

You always so lazy? I'm sure they've got better things to do.

Hey...shopping takes alot out of me. Thats the point of taking people with you when you go shopping. Buy em something, and see how fast they put the stuff in the trunk.
#16 Old 11-18-2004, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamila View Post

Will you soon graduate from the boards to Letterman? I'll be watching.

#17 Old 11-18-2004, 01:51 PM

Damn! I was going to buy Sears.

Lousy giant retail chains...

The Rev
#18 Old 11-18-2004, 02:35 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by rincaro View Post

I agree. They would be better off making Sears solely a hardware store. K-Mart I don't see hope for.

that's a great idea - Sears is a great place for things like car batteries, tools, appliances, lawn/garden equipment... just turn it into a place like that (get rid of all the crummy clothes) and let k-mart specialize in clothes & home linens etc, and you've got a nice complimentary set of stores. k-mart COULD revive itself if if cleaned up its stores, updated them, and made shopping there more enjoyable (get rid of the PA system for cryin out loud!). And start working on a culture that made the employees proud to work for the company - they sorely lack that. And it SHOWS.
#19 Old 11-18-2004, 02:48 PM

Sears is doing just that. Several stores around here are part of the "first wave" of Sears stores making the change...smaller sites that don't carry softlines, only tools, electronics, appliances..the things with which Sears has made a good name for itself.

Also, re: Target in the US - they're a pretty big group themselves - Mervyn's Hudson's Target, Marshall Field's, Dayton's.

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol
#20 Old 11-18-2004, 02:52 PM
Veggie Regular

That's awesome about sears - I didn't know that and it is a wise move that they'll be focused on their core competence. Sucks for them that they'll be owned by a company with awful leadership.

Quote:
They'll lay off workers whose duties become redundant

this reminded me of The Office - being "made redundant." I love that show
#21 Old 11-18-2004, 02:53 PM
Veggie Regular

Growing up, we had a Kmart down the street and we went there for a lot of stuff--it wasn't until Walmart and Target got to be so big that we shopped there less. My dad always got his appliances and hardware at Sears. I've worked for Sears twice--the clothes aren't all bad with the new Land's End line and they get some pretty awesome shoes. I'm a little surprised at the merger, but where both companies (esp Kmart) have been in such a slump lately, I think it's a good move for both companies.

Whether or not it's a good thing for small businesses, is debatable, but at least they'll be giving stores like Walmart, Home Depot, and Target some competition.
#22 Old 11-18-2004, 03:51 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by tearhsong2 View Post

--the clothes aren't all bad with the new Land's End line and they get some pretty awesome shoes.

Geez, I feel like kind of a crank case for saying, and I am picky, picky , picky, but here goes...

They carry size 11 shoes so I used to shop there for that but then I realized that every pair I bought there either didn't last long or they hurt my feet after I had already worn them and couldn't return them.

The quality of some of the Land's end clothing has gone down-hill since they started selling through Sears. I wonder if maybe they were not ready for so much growth so quickly. The LE customer service, also, has suffered.

I keep seeing the great comments about craftsman tools, and I just have not had good luck with them. Give me a Makita or Bosch power tool over them, any day. When I see that Sears constantly has 50% off sales on thier tools, that tells me something. If they were pricing according to what they deserved to be paid for them...Well, they are OK for periodic home use but I want something I can abuse, for years.

Maybe Sears and I just have a personality conflict. If there were smilies trying to choke each other, I would use them right now.

Sunny

PS. k-mart ... Shag, I'll see ya' at Target.
#23 Old 11-18-2004, 03:56 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamJen View Post

Also, re: Target in the US - they're a pretty big group themselves - Mervyn's Hudson's Target, Marshall Field's, Dayton's.

Oh, I like Target, but Mervyn's is on my s**t list now because they were the ONLY place I could find panties I liked and they changed over to making these stupid, cheapo kind. I did not know they (Mervyns' and Target) were related. I have been sending Mervyn's weekly nasty emails telling them to BRING BACK MY PANTIES and now I am going to have to re-think shopping at Target (so much), like they really care.

Can anyone tell I am PMSing pretty hard?

Sunny
#24 Old 11-18-2004, 04:14 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by renaissancesun View Post

... because they were the ONLY place I could find panties I liked and they changed over to making these stupid, cheapo kind.

Over the years the women of VB have sent me many pairs of panties. Tell me your size, I can hook you up.

Follow me on Twitter - @_jorts

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page