Wow, this is something.

http://chrisevans3d.com/files/iq.htm

Draw your own conclusions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 11-07-2004, 01:33 PM
Beginner

It's not true, sorry. http://www.snopes.com/politics/satire/gop.asp

I definitely believed it when I saw it, though. It's not too much of a stretch to say that many voters in such states such as California or Massachusetts have higher rates of education (in fact I think it's been shown that the highest % nationwide of higher ed grads are in the San Francisco area), but it just doesn't work out for the election.
#3 Old 11-07-2004, 01:52 PM
Red
Veggie Regular

Does this mean IQ tests are back in fashion among the libs? For a long time they've been sitting in the un-PC column.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 11-07-2004, 03:05 PM
Banned

This I feel is a more appropriate link.

http://www.worldnewsstand.net/liberalIQtest.htm
#5 Old 11-07-2004, 03:21 PM
Veggie Regular

>>Does this mean IQ tests are back in fashion among the libs? For a long time they've been sitting in the un-PC column.>>

I hope not. they still suck.

>>This I feel is a more appropriate link.

http://www.worldnewsstand.net/liberalIQtest.htm>>

I clicked on the button once. do i pass?? Of course, I'm not a liberal, so perhaps the results wont be quite right.

ebola
#6 Old 11-07-2004, 03:23 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by noodles View Post

This I feel is a more appropriate link.

http://www.worldnewsstand.net/liberalIQtest.htm

Thanks. I passed that on to John Howard.
#7 Old 11-07-2004, 03:31 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpunkyChild View Post

I thought it was fishy when I saw Connecticut at the top.

If you read the link I posted he admits that the original publisher later recounted it.

ETA: I just read that Snopes article, and though it's similar, it doesn't reference the "study" in the OP.
#8 Old 11-07-2004, 04:36 PM
Veggie Regular

This one seems quite believable -- http://www.ginandtacos.com/education.jpg
#9 Old 11-07-2004, 04:58 PM
Veggie Regular

One might argue that, if you do believe these trends, it's not a matter of intelligence but one of a college education system that is hell-bent on turning college students into left-wing drones.

At least, that's what my (conservative) BIL says. Incidentally, he dropped out of uni after his 1st year.
#10 Old 11-07-2004, 05:16 PM

Hey, it all comes down to the bottom line . . if liberals are so smart then how did they manage to lose?

Actually, I liked what Alan Simpson said on HBO's Bill Maher show. This country was founded on religious faith. Many, many people in the US consider themselves persons of faith. When you mock them, you belittle them, you question their intelligence and challenge their beliefs, you'll never garner their support. This was the biggest mistake that the Dems made this election - not taking the religious voter seriously.

You can pontificate all you want about how you shouldn't HAVE to take them seriously, just be prepared to lose when you don't do so.

BTW, I heard Bill Maher say "On second thought, we've decided to let the South go". What a pity that he doesn't speak for the federal government.

Bank, fully prepared to be free and independent from the IRS, the FBI, and all those other alphabet agencies.
#11 Old 11-07-2004, 05:30 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bankruptor View Post

Hey, it all comes down to the bottom line . . if liberals are so smart then how did they manage to lose?

This was the biggest mistake that the Dems made this election - not taking the religious voter seriously.

You can pontificate all you want about how you shouldn't HAVE to take them seriously, just be prepared to lose when you don't do so.

BTW, I heard Bill Maher say "On second thought, we've decided to let the South go". What a pity that he doesn't speak for the federal government.

Bank, fully prepared to be free and independent from the IRS, the FBI, and all those other alphabet agencies.

Bank, you consistently crack me up

You are right. The bottom line is we did lose because even if "smart" is for sale, it ain't always what people are buying. We did not take the religious people seriously and talking down to them is not going to win us any friends or put any of us into high places. America has a rather firmly anti-intellectual bent to it these days. We ignore that at our peril.

d
#12 Old 11-07-2004, 06:08 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bankruptor View Post

Because it's a Democracy and not a spelling bee.
#13 Old 11-07-2004, 06:36 PM
Veggie Regular

Hahahaha!! I LOVE LOVE LOVE it, when satire fools people!! I just can picture Red Fox in Fred Sanford character saying, "Ya big dummy!!"

Hahahaha!!!
#14 Old 11-07-2004, 09:45 PM
Veggie Regular

I don't think it's a good idea for the dems to suddenly act more religious.

"True Christians" - the born again type, won't buy it unless the dems also come out strongly against gay marriage and abortion etc.

I think Dems need to move the other way. Left.

I heard that from his hospital bed, Clinton advised Kerry to come out in support of the anti-gay marriage amendment. To his credit, Kerry declined.
#15 Old 11-07-2004, 10:11 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by delicious View Post

I don't think it's a good idea for the dems to suddenly act more religious.

"True Christians" - the born again type, won't buy it unless the dems also come out strongly against gay marriage and abortion etc.

I agree. No more pandering!
#16 Old 11-07-2004, 10:45 PM
Red
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by delicious View Post

git up, git, go go, shoo shoo

#17 Old 11-07-2004, 11:54 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red View Post

git up, git, go go, shoo shoo

You're preaching to the choir, Red.
#18 Old 11-08-2004, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpunkyChild View Post

I definitely believed it when I saw it, though. It's not too much of a stretch to say that many voters in such states such as California or Massachusetts have higher rates of education (in fact I think it's been shown that the highest % nationwide of higher ed grads are in the San Francisco area), but it just doesn't work out for the election.

That Snopes report is debunking the following parody:

http://www.workingforchange.com/arti...m?itemid=17627

It was not debunking what Mikie had posted.
#19 Old 11-08-2004, 07:08 AM
Veggie Regular

In another thread Ms. Ruthie had said that all those extra voters were *not* coming out to say "Good Job Mr. President" and I agreed with her and sincerely believed Kerry would win. But if the tallies are to be believed, the majority of those voters were Christians who came out to vote their faith. They should not have been underestimated and they were.
#20 Old 11-08-2004, 07:32 AM
Veggie Regular

I bet if you correlated the "IQ" with the per captia income of each state you would get similar results.

IQ tests are still flawed. But I do think that other stats, such as per capita income probably do shine a light on the cultural divide in the US. I haven't seen any stats other than the IQ and religion ones, but it would be interesting to take a look at other stats and see which are more telling.
#21 Old 11-08-2004, 10:26 AM
Veggie Regular

on a related note, this story from the times

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/10/24/po...er=rssuserland

Quote:
Secret Weapon for Bush?

By JOHN TIERNEY

Published: October 24, 2004

To Bush-bashers, it may be the most infuriating revelation yet from the military records of the two presidential candidates: the young George W. Bush probably had a higher I.Q. than did the young John Kerry.

That, at least, is the conclusion of Steve Sailer, a conservative columnist at the Web magazine Vdare.com and a veteran student of presidential I.Q.'s. During the last presidential campaign Mr. Sailer estimated from Mr. Bush's SAT score (1206) that his I.Q. was in the mid-120's, about 10 points lower than Al Gore's.

Mr. Kerry's SAT score is not known, but now Mr. Sailer has done a comparison of the intelligence tests in the candidates' military records. They are not formal I.Q. tests, but Mr. Sailer says they are similar enough to make reasonable extrapolations.

Mr. Bush's score on the Air Force Officer Qualifying Test at age 22 again suggests that his I.Q was the mid-120's, putting Mr. Bush in about the 95th percentile of the population, according to Mr. Sailer. Mr. Kerry's I.Q. was about 120, in the 91st percentile, according to Mr. Sailer's extrapolation of his score at age 22 on the Navy Officer Qualification Test.

Linda Gottfredson, an I.Q. expert at the University of Delaware, called it a creditable analysis said she was not surprised at the results or that so many people had assumed that Mr. Kerry was smarter. "People will often be misled into thinking someone is brighter if he says something complicated they can't understand," Professor Gottfredson said.

Many Americans still believe a report that began circulating on the Internet three years ago, and was quoted in "Doonesbury," that Mr. Bush's I.Q. was 91, the lowest of any modern American president. But that report from the non-existent Lovenstein Institute turned out to be a hoax.

You might expect Kerry campaign officials, who have worried that their candidate's intellectual image turns off voters, to quickly rush out a commercial trumpeting these new results, but for some reason they seem to be resisting the temptation.

Upon hearing of their candidate's score, Michael Meehan, a spokesman for the senator, said merely: "The true test is not where you start out in life, but what you do with those God-given talents. John Kerry's 40 years of public service puts him in the top percentile on that measure."

* This post may contain pork, beef and fingers of undocumented workers. This post was manufactured in a facility that processes peanuts.
#22 Old 11-08-2004, 10:38 AM
Banned

Thank you FalafelsRule. I was going to point that out as well. Lets see when someone finds something to truly debunk Mikie's link.
#23 Old 11-08-2004, 10:42 AM
Veggie Regular

how do you get a 1206 on the sat? i thought it had to be a multiple of ten.
#24 Old 11-08-2004, 11:04 AM
Veggie Regular

Hehe...According to IQ tests, I'm smarter than both of them...now if only I had several millions of dollars to back me up.
#25 Old 11-08-2004, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by revelsunrise View Post

Hehe...According to IQ tests, I'm smarter than both of them...now if only I had several millions of dollars to back me up.

Hah, you and me both, Revel . . .

I'll tell you though, if I had several million dollars the last thing I'd be doing is running for public office . . . .
#26 Old 11-08-2004, 11:21 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayuko View Post

how do you get a 1206 on the sat? i thought it had to be a multiple of ten.

I've never heard of that either.
#27 Old 11-08-2004, 11:39 AM

Here is a breakdown of IQ statistics:

http://www.geocities.com/rnseitz/Definition_of_IQ.html

There is an intersting chart about halfway down the page that I have linked.

I fall under the 137 to 150 range. One in one hundred people fall under this category.

I think it is a bit alarming that the highest average IQ when breaking down the statistics from each state is not over 120.

The chart is interesting and it lists former presidents Lincoln and Jefferson, both of whom had IQ's between 150 to 160.

I guess a president doesn't need a high IQ these days as other people are generally doing the thinking for them.
#28 Old 11-08-2004, 11:45 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
I'll tell you though, if I had several million dollars the last thing I'd be doing is running for public office

Me too. I'd spend more of my time running amok!
#29 Old 11-08-2004, 12:04 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm wondering about the SAT score as well ... odd.

I don't really care about IQ. I think it measures a certain type of thought, not necissarily needed by a leader (to an extent). I've tested at 153, and I am not a strong leader.
#30 Old 11-08-2004, 12:11 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by FalafelsRule View Post

Here is a breakdown of IQ statistics:

http://www.geocities.com/rnseitz/Definition_of_IQ.html

There is an intersting chart about halfway down the page that I have linked.

I fall under the 137 to 150 range. One in one hundred people fall under this category.

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiight.

I think you added a "1" to your score.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page