Bin Laden is located, says 9/11 panelist - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 10-23-2004, 03:08 AM
Administrator

Sounds like BS to me...

Quote:
The Pentagon knows exactly where Osama bin Laden is hiding in Pakistan, it just can't get to him, John Lehman, a member of the 9/11 Commission, said Thursday.

Lehman's remarks echoed those made Tuesday by Secretary of State Colin Powell, who said the al-Qaida leader was alive and operating in the western part of Pakistan.

Bin Laden is living in South Waziristan in the Baluchistan Mountains of the Baluchistan region, Lehman told the San Bernardino Sun after delivering a keynote speech on terrorism at Pitzer College in Claremont.

In the interview, Lehman noted, "There is an American presence in the area, but we can't just send in troops. If we did, we could have another Vietnam, and the United States cannot afford that right now."

Full story...

http://www.dailystar.com/dailystar/dailystar/44654.php

Follow me on Twitter - @_jorts
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 10-23-2004, 04:42 AM
Veggie Regular

I'm not surprised, although i do side w/ your "bs" argument ... Actually, I've believed for quite a while now that osama would be "found" shortly before the election. Ya know, give ole bush a little bump in the polls. But from this i'm guessing we really are incompetent so the next best thing is to say osama's location is known... i'm curious to see how this turns out.
#3 Old 10-23-2004, 06:07 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post

Sounds like BS to me...

Full story...

http://www.dailystar.com/dailystar/dailystar/44654.php

are you saying colin powell is lying?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 10-23-2004, 06:24 AM
Administrator

If I hadn't heard it a hundred times before I might be more inclined to believe it this time.

#5 Old 10-23-2004, 07:44 AM
Veggie Regular

Let's assume EVERYTHING they say is true. (Big assumption)

Quote:
In the interview, Lehman noted, "There is an American presence in the area, but we can't just send in troops. If we did, we could have another Vietnam, and the United States cannot afford that right now."

I wonder why we can't afford to go into this region ... hmm, let's see. What are we doing right now that has little or nothing to do with 9/11 and is using a large amount of our military resources? Let's see, what could that be?

I would think this would be an opportunity for those of us who opposed the Iraq war to say "See, we can't go get Osama because of Iraq".
#6 Old 10-23-2004, 07:48 AM
Veggie Regular

Another quote from the article

Quote:
Asked how bin Laden was surviving, Lehman said he was getting money from outside countries, such as the United Arab Emirates, and high-ranking ministers inside Saudi Arabia.

Well, what are we waiting for? Sounds like a reason to invade more countries to me, based on the logic of the Iraq war.
#7 Old 10-23-2004, 08:02 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ug333 View Post

I wonder why we can't afford to go into this region ... hmm, let's see. What are we doing right now that has little or nothing to do with 9/11 and is using a large amount of our military resources? Let's see, what could that be?

*pulls the string on his George Bush doll*

"Saddam Hussein was a threat and the world is a safer place without him."

#8 Old 10-23-2004, 10:47 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ug333 View Post

I would say it has more to do with the instability of Pakistan, and in particular, that region.
#9 Old 10-23-2004, 10:48 AM
Veggie Regular

Hey, just in time for the election!
#10 Old 10-23-2004, 01:37 PM
Red
Veggie Regular

Quote:
"There is an American presence in the area, but we can't just send in troops. If we did, we could have another Vietnam,

Who needs troops? Blow the cobwebs out of one of our silos, then blame the misdeed on N. Korea. Both India and Pakistan can mistakenly respond in-kind to P'yŏngyang, emptying their own stockpiles in the process. It's all upside.
#11 Old 10-23-2004, 04:30 PM
Banned

Somebody pick me up! I agree with Peebs.
#12 Old 10-23-2004, 05:48 PM
Veggie Regular

I heard a while ago that they've actually had him in captivity for months and are waiting until right before the election to publicize it. I think it's an urban legend, though.

eta here: http://www.snopes.com/rumors/captured.asp is what snopes.com (big urban-legend-busting page) has to say about that...
#13 Old 10-23-2004, 05:49 PM
Banned

I agree with Peebs to. I was really hopeing that he would be captured right before the election. This way Bush will be re-elected in a landside and all the trial lawyers working to over throw the election process funded by the DNC will have to walk home from Fla.
#14 Old 10-24-2004, 01:30 AM
Veggie Regular

If peebs hadn't said it, I would have.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page