YouTube shooter - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 3Likes
  • 2 Post By Citrus333
  • 1 Post By leedsveg

#1 Old 04-04-2018, 08:06 PM
Vegan since 1991

YouTube shooter

Things have been quiet on the forum regarding the horror at YouTube headquarters. Here's what I'm thinking - maybe others feel similarly:

Mentally-unbalanced YouTube shooter Nasim Najafi Aghdam reportedly proclaimed herself to be vegan. She was not a vegan. Anyone who presumes to attempt the killing of another human being, especially for reasons of personal frustration, can never be considered vegan.

I never even heard of her channel, and I am all over vegan YouTube.

_________

Specific recommendations for a healthy diet include: eating more fruit, vegetables, legumes, nuts and grains; cutting down on salt, sugar and fats. It is also advisable to choose unsaturated fats, instead of saturated fats and towards the elimination of trans-fatty acids."
- United Nations' World Health Organization
http://www.who.int/topics/diet/en/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-04-2018, 08:46 PM
Veggie Regular

I personally think she followed a plant based diet, but I don't think she was a vegan (I hope this makes sense). I just think she had too many issues, and didn't know how to cope with them. There are other social media platforms to follow besides YouTube, Instagram and Facebook. Vimeo, Flickr, and Twitter are a few that I am aware of. I'm just sorry it happened at all.

Edit to add: Here's what Jasmin Singer at VegNews had to say.

Anytime I think I'm perfect, I remember that my cousin lives on an island, and I've never walked over to visit her.

Last edited by Purp; 04-04-2018 at 09:16 PM.
#3 Old 04-05-2018, 10:31 AM
Beginner

You are right but carnist propaganda use that against vegans anyway .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 04-05-2018, 11:42 AM

Let's assume that this woman was mentally ill and vegan. Her mental illness in no way negates her veganism, and conflating the two matters is a horrible thing to do. We simply do not and cannot know the depth and breadth of her mental illness or veganism.

No one can be 100% vegan, and at least she advocated for veganism, which is a good thing. Ridiculing or demonizing someone's illness and resulting behavior or thoughts, which are likely out of his/her control, is something we should outgrow by adulthood.

How miserable must she have been to feel, think and do what she'd been thinking, feeling and doing for the last months? How unbearable must her pain have been? Giving some thought and compassion to these things doesn't mean agreeing with or condoning what she did. Veganism is about compassion and when we withhold our compassion from others (human or nonhuman), we diminish ourselves and our commitment.

Vegans can and should extend their compassion to this woman, her family, her victims and their families, witnesses, and so on. Compassion shouldn't be limited and as wise adults, we should be seeking to extend our compassion to all beings.
leedsveg and Mr. H. like this.
#5 Old 04-06-2018, 02:45 PM
Veggie Regular

I fully agree with what you say Citrus333.

I've changed over the last few years in that at one time, I wouldn't have agreed that the shooter was a vegan/could be a vegan in view of what she did, but I believe so now.

This is the Vegan Society (UK) definition of veganism:

Veganism is a way of living which seeks to exclude, as far as is possible and practicable, all forms of exploitation of, and cruelty to, animals for food, clothing or any other purpose.

As I understand it, the shooter has not gone against these vegan principles. Yes, perhaps because of her poor mental health, the shooter by her actions has shown a severe lack of empathy/compassion towards other people but this has nothing to do with veganism.

Vegans are often criticised for caring more about animals than people and in many cases this will be true. We tend to focus on the plight of animals rather than other worthy causes, such as the millions of malnourished children in Africa. Of course we can support more than one worthy cause but as vegans, our focus on animals does tend to make us more limiting.

Yes, the publicity for the shooter could hardly be more negative but I cannot deny that she was a vegan up to her death.

Lv
Citrus333 likes this.

Last edited by leedsveg; 04-06-2018 at 02:52 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page