Pick your President - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 10-16-2004, 10:40 PM

With so many of us saying that we don't care for either of the 2 main contenders, I'm wondering who some of our other choices would be. Who would you like to see run (people who are 35+ years old and US citizens by birth).

Still working on my list....

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 10-17-2004, 01:11 AM
Veggie Regular

Camilla Paglia, too feminist, too lesbian, too uncensored.

Clarence Page, too nerdy looking.

* This post may contain pork, beef and fingers of undocumented workers. This post was manufactured in a facility that processes peanuts.
#3 Old 10-17-2004, 02:01 AM
Veggie Regular

Dennis Kucinich, but i'm still gonna vote for Kerry.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 10-17-2004, 02:36 AM
Veggie Regular

Yeah, I was going to say Kucinich as well.

Though I'd be interested in hearing what McCain has to say (not that I'd vote for him - he's still too conservative for me). I suspect we'll be seeing him in '08... I'm hoping that the super right wingers will further ostracize themselves from the american political mainstream and we'll start seeing more sensible republicans like mccain, schwartzenegger, etc. Will give the dems a lot more to fight for, aside from who can come up with the best one-liners...

amy
#5 Old 10-17-2004, 04:31 AM
Veggie Regular

Jon Stewart.
#6 Old 10-17-2004, 04:59 AM
Veggie Regular

Al Franken (although i'd definately go w/ stewart or kucinich as well)
#7 Old 10-17-2004, 07:37 AM
Banned

What I want is for any candidate to have to have live a year on Welfare with matching house and neighborhood, a year as a base wage earner, a year on my income with no medical insurance with one kid in college. Then live one week as a parapalegic(sp) with a job, one week in his car-family included. 3 months as an Apalachian coal miner. 3 months as a stocker at Wal-Mart. 3 months as a lumber jack. One growing season as a wheat farmer. 3 months as a factory line worker. 3 weeks as a teacher in 1st grade (25 students) with no assistant. 3 weeks as a high school teacher right before achievement tests in a rough and tumble school. Oh, yeah, add to that 2 days on the slaughter house floor.

I would respect this experience/training more than any military service. I don't think either one of these little rich boys could hack it. Military service doesn't even begin to teach the hardship the average person goes through. Maybe, just maybe this would increase their understanding of whom they are so desperately trying to lead/rule.
#8 Old 10-17-2004, 08:04 AM
Veggie Regular

Life2K, if only something like that could be done! I really like it! So, at the beginning of any primary season, the candidates would have to submit to all that on a reality TV show. We could all see how they deal with hardship...

ETA: Hillary Clinton would be my pick!
#9 Old 10-17-2004, 10:51 AM
Veggie Regular

if Morgan Freeman were interested in politics, he looked good as president in that one movie. 6'2'' with an incredible voice that ensures we'd get our way in the UN.

* This post may contain pork, beef and fingers of undocumented workers. This post was manufactured in a facility that processes peanuts.
#10 Old 10-17-2004, 11:00 AM

Emma Goldman, Enza, David Bowie (oh shucks, hes not american.), my science teacher Mr. Jackel, and..I think thats it for now.
#11 Old 10-17-2004, 11:39 AM
Beginner

howard dean is the man... I loved him Stupid media!

Dennis K. is great as well, in fact probably the best... Thus why he'll never stand a chance in heck as long as we are a Republic and not a democracy... Because the electorial college will never, ever bring in a third party or anyone else who is too "radical".

That's my theory anyway
#12 Old 10-17-2004, 12:38 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm going with myself, Lindsay Carlson, for President. Who better to represent my views?

Aw, crap, I'm not 35.

#13 Old 10-17-2004, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OregonAmy View Post

Though I'd be interested in hearing what McCain has to say (not that I'd vote for him - he's still too conservative for me). I suspect we'll be seeing him in '08... I'm hoping that the super right wingers will further ostracize themselves from the american political mainstream and we'll start seeing more sensible republicans like mccain, schwartzenegger, etc. Will give the dems a lot more to fight for, aside from who can come up with the best one-liners...

amy

I'd be interested in McCain too. I'm really disappointed that he's so vehemently supporting Bush this year. In the past, he's often decided not to toe the party line, which is why I like him..he seems to have a brain of his own. Then, this year, he's all about the Bush-man.

I like Bob Kerrey from Nebraska too. He seems to be another politician with at least a smidge of integrity left in him.

I suspect we're going to see more of Barack Obama as well...another person I'd like to hear more about.

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol
#14 Old 10-17-2004, 01:48 PM
Beginner

I am a Howard Dean supporter myself. I just took my Dean for pres sticker off 2 weeks ago and replaced it with a Kerry one. Although that might have been more for laziness then anything else.

I didn't care for Kucinich's war position. Someone slap me quick if I am wrong, but didn't he support almost immediate withdrawl from Iraq? This is what I remember from the primaries. I never supported the war in Iraq, and I am a pacifist in almost every respect, but now that we're there...Anyway, I won't go on until some one confirms that this was Kucinich's plan.
#15 Old 10-17-2004, 03:47 PM
Veggie Regular

My favorite candidate would be overthrow of the US govt.

ebola
#16 Old 10-17-2004, 04:31 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamJen View Post

I'd be interested in McCain too. I'm really disappointed that he's so vehemently supporting Bush this year. In the past, he's often decided not to toe the party line, which is why I like him..he seems to have a brain of his own. Then, this year, he's all about the Bush-man.

I suspect it's to save his career. If he were to go against the party now, he'd kill his chance of running in 2008.
#17 Old 10-17-2004, 05:49 PM
Veggie Regular

As far as I know, John McCain has no interest in running for President. My other pick would be Democrat Joe Biden...who also has no interest in running. It seems all the good politicians don't want to run for president...possibly because they know it will force them to compromise their character?
#18 Old 10-17-2004, 05:52 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by azul_sky View Post

I am a Howard Dean supporter myself. I just took my Dean for pres sticker off 2 weeks ago and replaced it with a Kerry one. Although that might have been more for laziness then anything else.

I didn't care for Kucinich's war position. Someone slap me quick if I am wrong, but didn't he support almost immediate withdrawl from Iraq? This is what I remember from the primaries. I never supported the war in Iraq, and I am a pacifist in almost every respect, but now that we're there...Anyway, I won't go on until some one confirms that this was Kucinich's plan.

Kucinich wanted to withdraw troops while they were replaced with UN forces. So, in all likeliness, seeing as a UN force would be made up of majority US troops, most of the people would be there, but under a less biased administration.

http://www.house.gov/kucinich/info/iraq_update.htm
#19 Old 10-17-2004, 05:55 PM
Beginner

Thanks much for the info clickman.
#20 Old 10-17-2004, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clickman View Post

Kucinich wanted to withdraw troops while they were replaced with UN forces. So, in all likeliness, seeing as a UN force would be made up of majority US troops, most of the people would be there, but under a less biased administration.

http://www.house.gov/kucinich/info/iraq_update.htm

So, then, he advocated having American military lives put into harm's way, but under the control of non-Americans via the UN?

No wonder this guy crashed and burned in the primary . . .
#21 Old 10-17-2004, 07:17 PM
Veggie Regular

Ahhh...I to would LOVE Al Franken!

I would also like John McCain...though he's way too straight laced to ever win an election.
#22 Old 10-17-2004, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbowmoon View Post

As far as I know, John McCain has no interest in running for President. My other pick would be Democrat Joe Biden...who also has no interest in running. It seems all the good politicians don't want to run for president...possibly because they know it will force them to compromise their character?

Ack ack. (sorry) Biden couldn't tell the truth if you paid him to.

#23 Old 10-17-2004, 09:53 PM
Veggie Regular

No truly good president could possibly be a popular politician. I'd have to vote for my high school english teacher, Mr. Schenck.
#24 Old 10-17-2004, 10:00 PM
Veggie Regular

Ingrid Newkirk.

Yeah, yeah, I know. But somebody needed to say it.
#25 Old 10-18-2004, 12:02 AM
Veggie Regular

I just don't want another White Male president. Is that so much to ask?
#26 Old 10-18-2004, 12:56 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpickell View Post

I just don't want another White Male president. Is that so much to ask?

actually it's not enough to ask, you gotta want something else, if all you want is them not to be a white male, then you're racist and sexist by definition. I'm not going to deny a good potential president just because they're a white male.

I remember Al Sharpton saying that people should automatically vote for any black presidential canidate, then when Larry Elder came along quickly denouncing him as "fool's gold". How dare a black politician be anything other than a liberal democrat, the very idea that not all black people think alike is offensive to Sharpton.

Stephanie Herseth with more experience would be great, definately good looking enough for president too (yes this is a factor in the presidency, and not just for women).

http://www.hersethforcongress.org/photos/statefair2.htm

#27 Old 10-18-2004, 01:33 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by otomik View Post

actually it's not enough to ask, you gotta want something else, if all you want is them not to be a white male, then you're racist and sexist by definition. I'm not going to deny a good potential president just because they're a white male.

Well, I would. We've had enough "good" white male presidents. It's a racist system.

I voted for Al Sharpton in the 2004 primaries.

I voted for Alan Keyes in the 1996 primary.

I will end up voting for a another rich white guy again this year, but in this dream thread I'm saying that I'm tired of rich white guys and want someone else. Although I would ideally want someone who I agree with, I would be willing to support someone I disagree with politically just to get a non-white-male in office. It's more important to me that we break the racial & gender barriers and get a minority president than it is to have a president who I agree with on all issues.
#28 Old 10-18-2004, 02:27 AM
Beginner

Stephanie Herseth represents me! Yeah Herseth! Yeah no more Janklow! If anyone wants an example of the worst possible choice for anything, including pres, check out William Janklow, former South Dakota gov and SD US Rep.
#29 Old 10-18-2004, 07:33 AM
Veggie Regular

Winona LaDuke. I liked her better than Nader in 2000.
#30 Old 10-18-2004, 08:13 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by otomik View Post

I remember Al Sharpton saying that people should automatically vote for any black presidential canidate, then when Larry Elder came along quickly denouncing him as "fool's gold". How dare a black politician be anything other than a liberal democrat, the very idea that not all black people think alike is offensive to Sharpton.

Stephanie Herseth with more experience would be great, definately good looking enough for president too (yes this is a factor in the presidency, and not just for women).

http://www.hersethforcongress.org/photos/statefair2.htm

Well, I must agree with you, here. I will never vote for anyone JUST because they are a woman or minority. Best person gets the job, period. While I think the system has WAY too many white males, voting in a lesser candidate simply because they are minority or woman could backfire. If they do a bad job, it will be an excuse by racists and sexists not to allow another woman or minority into power.

Stephanie Herseth, she is from my home state! Besides that, I know nothing about her. What made her stick out in your mind? You from SD? I think it is wrong to vote based on who looks better, but it is obvious that it is a part of american politics. There are plenty of exceptions, where a "not so pretty" person wins because they are better, but good looks will earn you a few votes.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page