"Aggressive vegans are putting people off giving up meat" - VeggieBoards

"Aggressive vegans are putting people off giving up meat"

Werewolf Girl's Avatar Werewolf Girl
02:13 PM 08-10-2017
Quote:
Vegans have a harsh rap - they’re often painted as tie-dye wearing, hemp-smelling, hippy preachers, who will lambast anyone for even looking at a piece of cheese or a steak.

Whilst this isn’t true for the majority - many vegans today prefer to refer to themselves as “plant-based” to distance themselves from the stereotypical image - it appears the stance of some vegans is putting omnivores off the idea of going vegetarian.

According to a new study, 26 per cent of meat-eaters are discouraged to try giving up meat and/or all animal products due to “the attitude of certain vegetarians/vegans.”
Read the rest here: http://www.independent.co.uk/life-st...-a7880251.html

What do you think of this? Agree or disagree?

My first thought is to wonder whether the abolitionists who fought to free the slaves were worried about being too pushy because they didn't want to offend slave owners?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

jessandreia's Avatar jessandreia
03:43 PM 08-10-2017
Disagree more than agree. What puts people off of giving up meat is their own lack of will.
I do think the aggressive attitude some vegans have is off putting; I have seen a few have attitudes that even I hate, but they are the minority. It's just such a popular thing to complain about the attitude of vegans, that people do it even if said attitude wasn't that bad or if the person complaining about it actually never experienced said attitude first-hand and just heard about it online.
silva's Avatar silva
06:26 PM 08-10-2017
There is truth in that statement. Sometimes being too aggressive regardless of being 'right' will dissuade people who don't want to pushed out of their ignorance
I don't know that I've completely converted anyone, but I know I've caused them to think more about what they eat, and reduce their meat intake, or switch from dairy milk to non dairy. I know if I pushed it too much they would shut down and simply not listen or change at all.
Getting people to try new things and discover on their own there are lots more options on what to eat is a really big deal. My lunch mates now bring hummus, salads, make my spinach dip with tofu, and drink smoothies. Thats a big change for them.
It's really hard when people don't realize how many options they have
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Iridium
06:08 PM 08-14-2017
Hmm yes comparing those that eat burgers to serial killers while running around a steak house in a weird costume is most likely not the best way to get people to go vegan.
Werewolf Girl's Avatar Werewolf Girl
03:19 PM 08-16-2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iridium View Post
Hmm yes comparing those that eat burgers to serial killers while running around a steak house in a weird costume is most likely not the best way to get people to go vegan.
I'd have to agree!
Reply Up