3Likes
  • 2 Post By silva
  • 1 Post By David3

#1 Old 02-03-2017, 08:25 PM
Riot Nrrrd

USDA Removes All Animal Welfare Info From Website

Elections have consequences.

Quote:
As of this morning, all information about animal welfare was removed from the website of the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA). The site previously hosted information about animals abused under the Animal Welfare Act (AWA), and the USDA explains that it removed this information under the pretense of privacy
http://vegnews.com/articles/page.do?pageId=8999&catId=1

Dave in MPLS / DISCLAIMER: I am not an actual rooster.
"It is better to light a candle than to curse the darkness"
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 18002738255
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-04-2017, 04:45 AM
Super Moderator

Thinking we should "give this administration a chance" is akin to leaving your kids with a known pedophile. A really really bad idea.
The good good here is that people are waking up and demanding to be heard. When you have your public officials as contracts on your cell phone and email you form new habits of becoming an active advocate for your beliefs.
Let's not allow this dismantling of rights and truths and history continue
#3 Old 02-04-2017, 10:41 AM
Bandit

I agree with @silva .

I'm pretty sure that I mentioned elsewhere on this site that I have never been so angry at people who are stupid, ignorant, naive or just plain have "enabler" tendencies. Because friends, those four groups are who are really putting this sociopath in power. It's not even the overt Trump supporters, it's the ignorant people who don't think climate change is real, the naive people who thought a blatant misogynistic narcissist "wouldn't be that bad once he gets into office," the stupid people who are rejoicing at the rights of Muslims being stripped and who think Trump won't hurt them or someone they love, and the enablers who have told the protesters to keep quiet or grow up that they don't like Trump either but that we need to accept it. These are the people who really allowed this to happen. It was similar in Nazi Germany, Hitler was elected by "common" people and "nice" people made excuses for it until it was too late.

I thought any vegetarian who thought Trump wouldn't affect animal rights was an idiot, because look, someone who doesn't care about the environment or about human rights and throws it all under the bus for big business, will do exactly the same with animal agriculture and companies who test on animals. Hurr durr.

OK. I'm going to be unpleasant again if I hang out today so I will come back when I have simmered down a bit. I just saw this late last night.

"Thinkers may prepare revolutions, but bandits must carry them out"~
Ingrid Newkirk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 02-07-2017, 07:38 PM
Riot Nrrrd

It's even more absurd. They're blaming the Obama administration. Just so we're clear on this, the Obama administration had nothing to do with it. According to a former official, they (Obama admin) had that option, but declined.

I just found out that APHIS may have some legal obligation to post dog breeder inspection reports, coming out of agreements with HSUS.

#5 Old 02-07-2017, 11:52 PM
Vegan since 2011

The recent election and the year leading up to it have left me feeling extremely disappointed and hurt, not so much by our new president, but by the people I know and love who thought supporting him would be a good idea. Nothing crushes a high opinion of the people around you quite like learning that they support the hate and the ignorance this man is selling. I don't care if he's got the Midas touch and leaves a pot full of gold after every trip to bathroom. How can you support someone who chooses to ignore science and promote hate? Will they ever care? When? I thought they were better than that. It makes me feel heart-sick.

On another note: Getting the browser plug in that auto-corrects "Voldemort" to "Voldemort" is one of the best things I've done in a long, long time.

"The first step in changing anything is getting people to care." - Misha Collins
#6 Old 02-08-2017, 06:20 PM
Riot Nrrrd

This came out from Science magazine today. It clarifies the legal claim HSUS has. Apparently the guy leading the transition team at USDA is with the anti-environmental, anti-animal group Protect the Harvest. Also, and this is interesting, a pro-vivisection group OPPOSES APHIS removing the animal use data. Huh. Strange bedfellows there.

http://www.sciencemag.org/news/2017/...awsuit-threats

Bonus: a look behind the veil at Protect the Harvest

http://www.sourcewatch.org/index.php...ct_the_Harvest

Last edited by Dave in MPLS; 02-08-2017 at 06:25 PM.
#7 Old 02-08-2017, 06:46 PM
person

"I'm pretty sure that I mentioned elsewhere on this site that I have never been so angry at people who are stupid, ignorant, naive or just plain have "enabler" tendencies. Because friends, those four groups are who are really putting this sociopath in power"

I think you need to add the just plain lazy people who didn't bother to vote so this didn't happen.

"The time will come when men such as I will look upon the murder of animals as they now look upon the murder of men." - Leonardo Da Vinci, Italian Painter, Sculptor, Architect, Musician, Engineer, and Scientist

When it comes to having a central nervous system, and the ability to feel pain, hunger, and thirst, a rat is a pig is a dog is a boy. ~Ingrid Newkirk
#8 Old 02-08-2017, 07:06 PM
Riot Nrrrd

Holy backups Batman! I just saw this on The Rachel Maddow Show. Turns out a blogger was archiving the data off the USDA site before it got scrubbed. Check it out at http://thememoryhole2.org/

#9 Old 02-08-2017, 07:09 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in MPLS View Post
Holy backups Batman! I just saw this on The Rachel Maddow Show. Turns out a blogger was archiving the data off the USDA site before it got scrubbed. Check it out at http://thememoryhole2.org/
I came here to post that!
Gonna be hard times folks... Keep on truckin'

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good
#10 Old 02-08-2017, 07:12 PM
Vegan since 1991

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in MPLS View Post

This petition to impeach Trump has gathered nearly 800,000 signatures in less than 2 weeks. I've added my name. https://impeachdonaldtrumpnow.org/
BlueMts likes this.

_________

Specific recommendations for a healthy diet include: eating more fruit, vegetables, legumes, nuts and grains; cutting down on salt, sugar and fats. It is also advisable to choose unsaturated fats, instead of saturated fats and towards the elimination of trans-fatty acids."
- United Nations' World Health Organization
http://www.who.int/topics/diet/en/
#11 Old 02-18-2017, 08:27 AM
Riot Nrrrd

Quote:
Some of the animal welfare documents that were abruptly purged from an Agriculture Department database early this month were restored Friday, days after animal rights groups filed a lawsuit to make the records public again.
The documents that were restored to the database include inspection reports for research institutions and certain federal labs that work with animals. Similar reports on the treatment of animals by zoos, breeding operations and animal transporters — which represent the vast majority of facilities that the USDA’s Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service oversees — are still unavailable.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.bbfeb7c755f1

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page